Myanmar 'unlikely to attend' migrant crisis meeting hosted by Thailand

webfact

Myanmar 'unlikely to attend' migrant crisis meeting: president's office
AFP

BANGKOK: -- Myanmar may snub a regional meeting hosted by Thailand later this month aimed at easing the current Bay of Bengal migrant crisis, the president's office said Friday.

Hundreds of boat people have arrived on Thai, Malaysian and Indonesian soil since May 1, when the discovery of mass graves believed to belong to Bangladeshi and Myanmar migrants in southern Thailand prompted a crackdown on trafficking and smugglers to abandon their cargo.

Thai authorities, who have been accused of turning a blind eye -- and also complicity in -- the trade, called the May 29 regional meeting in Bangkok to address the "root causes" of the flow of migrants, many of whom are Rohingya Muslims from poverty-stricken western Myanmar.

Myanmar refuses to recognise the Rohingya as one of its ethnic groups.

On Friday it accused Thailand of using the regional summit to divert attention from its own issues with people smuggling.

"We are unlikely to attend... we do not accept it if they (Thailand) are inviting us just to ease the pressure they are facing," presidential office director Zaw Htay told AFP, after Thailand called a May 29 summit in Bangkok.

"The root cause (of the crisis) is increasing human trafficking. The problem of the migrant graves is not a Myanmar problem, it's because of the weakness of human trafficking prevention and the rule of law in Thailand," he added.

The one-day meeting in Bangkok will include officials from 15 countries including Indonesia, Malaysia, Bangladesh, Myanmar as well as Australia and the United States.

afplogo.jpg
-- (c) Copyright AFP 2015-05-15

"The root cause (of the crisis) is increasing human trafficking. The problem of the migrant graves is not a Myanmar problem, it's because of the weakness of human trafficking prevention and the rule of law in Thailand," he added."

that pesky rule of law thing again...

Myanmar knows it is a waist of time...

I met a young man from Myanmar working as a waiter in Hua Hin. Spoke perfect English. All the Thais were out of the loop.

"The root cause (of the crisis) is increasing human trafficking. The problem of the migrant graves is not a Myanmar problem, it's because of the weakness of human trafficking prevention and the rule of law in Thailand," he added.

Boy I bet the Thai's didnt see that one comin.

Digging in already. The Burmese wil as usual show to be as flexible as concrete when the international community starts pressuring them again. Their leadership won't mind another long term boycott. They simply do not care about people. Rohingya or "their own".

Edited by EricBerg

the "root cause" is religion and tribalism

Seems there is is more than one "root cause" here. Of course the one you mentioned, the other is, Thailand and Malaysia's desperate need for cheap exploitable labor.

The Burmese govt has a very good point about human trafficking and law enforcement. Economic migration has been going on from Burma for many decades, up until the Thais realized they could make huge profits smuggling and extorting these people there really wasnt a big problem.

Edited by dcutman

"The root cause (of the crisis) is increasing human trafficking. The problem of the migrant graves is not a Myanmar problem, it's because of the weakness of human trafficking prevention and the rule of law in Thailand," he added."

I met a young man from Myanmar working as a waiter in Hua Hin. Spoke perfect English. All the Thais were out of the loop.

My tailor on lower Sukhumvit has for many years employed a Burmese, named Tony, to sit outside his shop and interact with the potential customers. His job is to get them to come inside the tailor shop. He has a great smile, charming personality and he speaks English with less accent than the Texans I live amongst. He is always getting arrested by the RTP because he doesn't have proper papers. The police know that but they also know that Tony's employer will pay to get him back to bring in customers. Everybody makes money on Tony... except Tony.

On one of my early visits to the Kingdom, I was given the use of a mafia boss's house to stay. It came with everything including a Burmese maid, Da. Da washed the SUV under the carport every day even though it was never used. she made my bed, did my laundry, cleaned the kitchen after I finished cooking etc, for twelve hours a day. The home owner's sister who lived across the street and kept an eye on things told me that she paid the Da 60 Baht a day plus room and board. Da and her baby had a room 2 meters by 2 meters with a mat on the floor and her stuff in boxes. There was not the slightest bit of shame when this $ millionaire shared how she was exploiting that poor woman. Not long after that, I moved into the city and stayed at a guest-house.

Two million Burmese live and work illegally in Thailand and because of their status, they are mostly exploited. Burma must be one awful Hell-hole that being exploited by Thais is a better way of life. I'm going to blame the rulers of Burma. They have spent $billions on themselves. Their last dictator, Than Shwe, threw an extravagant wedding for his daughter while the people of Myanmar can't even afford condoms. Now they are blaming human traffickers in Thailand for their people leaving in droves.

The leaked video shows Thandar Shwe, the daughter of junta leader Senior Gen. Than Shwe, wearing a staggering collection of diamond encrusted jewelry and extravagant clothing. There is also a lavish bridal chamber, seemingly the size of a small ballroom.

The Irrawaddy, a respected online magazine put out by Myanmar journalists exiled in Thailand, said the wedding cost $300,000 and the couple received wedding gifts worth $50 million, although it didn't say how it obtained the figures.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/11/02/AR2006110201005_pf.html

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TWj0tDpLAaI

It's like the Burmese were born to be exploited. Really, there's nothing to be done for it. God's Will, Allah's Will, Karma, whatever way you want to want to explain it makes no difference. Nothing is going to change. I don't dwell on it as it would make me miserable and wouldn't help the Burmese people anyway.

Edited by rametindallas

My tailor on lower Sukhumvit has for many years employed a Burmese, named Tony, to sit outside his shop and interact with the potential customers. His job is to get them to come inside the tailor shop. He has a great smile, charming personality and he speaks English with less accent than the Texans I live amongst. He is always getting arrested by the RTP because he doesn't have proper papers. The police know that but they also know that Tony's employer will pay to get him back to bring in customers. Everybody makes money on Tony... except Tony.

On one of my early visits to the Kingdom, I was given the use of a mafia boss's house to stay. It came with everything including a Burmese maid, Da. Da washed the SUV under the carport every day even though it was never used. she made my bed, did my laundry, cleaned the kitchen after I finished cooking etc, for twelve hours a day. The home owner's sister who lived across the street and kept an eye on things told me that she paid the Da 60 Baht a day plus room and board. Da and her baby had a room 2 meters by 2 meters with a mat on the floor and her stuff in boxes. There was not the slightest bit of shame when this $ millionaire shared how she was exploiting that poor woman. Not long after that, I moved into the city and stayed at a guest-house.

Two million Burmese live and work illegally in Thailand and because of their status, they are mostly exploited. Burma must be one awful Hell-hole that being exploited by Thais is a better way of life. I'm going to blame the rulers of Burma. They have spent $billions on themselves. Their last dictator, Than Shwe, threw an extravagant wedding for his daughter while the people of Myanmar can't even afford condoms. Now they are blaming human traffickers in Thailand for their people leaving in droves.

The leaked video shows Thandar Shwe, the daughter of junta leader Senior Gen. Than Shwe, wearing a staggering collection of diamond encrusted jewelry and extravagant clothing. There is also a lavish bridal chamber, seemingly the size of a small ballroom.

The Irrawaddy, a respected online magazine put out by Myanmar journalists exiled in Thailand, said the wedding cost $300,000 and the couple received wedding gifts worth $50 million, although it didn't say how it obtained the figures.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/11/02/AR2006110201005_pf.html

It's like the Burmese were born to be exploited. Really, there's nothing to be done for it. God's Will, Allah's Will, Karma, whatever way you want to want to explain it makes no difference. Nothing is going to change. I don't dwell on it as it would make me miserable and wouldn't help the Burmese people anyway.

Than Shwe is a multi billionaire, as are the top 50 generals in that most desperate of countries. Little has changed. The charade of progress is just that. The leaders do as they please. The people leave due to the lack of opportunity, but that may soon start changing, as Burma is bound to start attracting more tourists at some point. What on earth would Thailand do without the Burmese laborers?

I hope the international community starts to focus their attention on Myanmar which is causing much of this migrant crisis. Why aren't we seeing more outrage directed at Myanmar?

Is it because Myanmar is still in a fragile state while transforming from a totalitarian military regime into a fledgling democracy and so other countries do not want to upset them in fear they may slip back into a military state?

Ang San Suu Kyi who fully supports this genocide of the Rohingya should give back her Nobel Peace Prize.

Fully supporting may be a little hard to swallow, however her silence is damaging her credibility.

Ang San Suu Kyi who fully supports this genocide of the Rohingya should give back her Nobel Peace Prize.

Fully supporting may be a little hard to swallow, however her silence is damaging her credibility.

Maybe she is keeping quiet, because she might know EVERYTHING about his religious group who have never, or even tried, to integrate with Myanmar Society as a whole, after decades of being there...Is that the big question?

I'll help them and have just recently. And hopefully will have the opportunity to do so again.

The people I met are lovely people and need a hand up not a hand out.

They have a thirst for knowledge and a desire to grow and develop their country unbridled by the western bastardisation that we see in so much of SEA.

The colonisation by the Brits pre WW11 is long forgotten.

The issue of the Bangladeshi Rohingas is something the Myanmar people will resolve themselves...read a little history and you will see what happened a few generations ago....a Muslim invasion that didn't go to plan and the Bangladeshi's don't want them back.

Also do a google search (or better still actually go to Myanmar and talk to the people) about how the so called Buddhist extremists v Muslim strife happened a couple of years ago. Hint the Muslim shopkeepers assaulted a Buddhist monk...which didn't go down real well with the locals.

As far as posting links to newspapers as a reputable source of information....an old bloke told me many years ago - the only facts in a newspaper are the date and the price...everything else is opinion.

Seems there is is more than one "root cause" here. Of course the one you mentioned, the other is, Thailand and Malaysia's desperate need for cheap exploitable labor.

The Burmese govt has a very good point about human trafficking and law enforcement. Economic migration has been going on from Burma for many decades, up until the Thais realized they could make huge profits smuggling and extorting these people there really wasnt a big problem.

Only problem with that one is that those who are and have been trafficked were not and are not coming to Thailand looking to become part of the Thai labor force.

It has been well documented that they were expecting to go to Malaysia.

There are many from surrounding countries who come to work in Thailand and there are (recently) legal ways they can do this and many take advantage of this but this trafficking is different.

You and several other posters love to label all Thais and Thailand as the criminals involved in this when in reality it is a small proportion of criminal Thais who are involved with an international smuggling ring.

That Burma would deny any part in this is reprehensible for it is their Govt policy that has prompted a fair proportion of these unfortunate people to fall into the hands of the criminal traffickers.

I noted that in other reports on these atrocities that economic migrants from Bangladesh are also involved and that ransoms demanded were quoted in Bangladesh Taka and not Thai Baht. This would point to the leaders of that part of the trafficking gang coming from Bangladesh.

Also remember a recent report that some of the traffickers had been shot by Bangladesh police, a good idea.

Only problem with that one is that those who are and have been trafficked were not and are not coming to Thailand looking to become part of the Thai labor force.

There are many from surrounding countries who come to work in Thailand and there are (recently) legal ways they can do this and many take advantage of this but this trafficking is different.

You and several other posters love to label all Thais and Thailand as the criminals involved in this when in reality it is a small proportion of criminal Thais who are involved with an international smuggling ring.

That Burma would deny any part in this is reprehensible for it is their Govt policy that has prompted a fair proportion of these unfortunate people to fall into the hands of the criminal traffickers.

I noted that in other reports on these atrocities that economic migrants from Bangladesh are also involved and that ransoms demanded were quoted in Bangladesh Taka and not Thai Baht. This would point to the leaders of that part of the trafficking gang coming from Bangladesh.

Also remember a recent report that some of the traffickers had been shot by Bangladesh police, a good idea.

You know what I find reprehensible? Thai officials that deflect and divert blame to others while minimizing, even denying any responsibility. I will have to say Robby your skill at this is as good or better than any of these Thai officials.

I'll help them and have just recently. And hopefully will have the opportunity to do so again.

The people I met are lovely people and need a hand up not a hand out.

They have a thirst for knowledge and a desire to grow and develop their country unbridled by the western bastardisation that we see in so much of SEA.

The colonisation by the Brits pre WW11 is long forgotten.

The issue of the Bangladeshi Rohingas is something the Myanmar people will resolve themselves...read a little history and you will see what happened a few generations ago....a Muslim invasion that didn't go to plan and the Bangladeshi's don't want them back.

Also do a google search (or better still actually go to Myanmar and talk to the people) about how the so called Buddhist extremists v Muslim strife happened a couple of years ago. Hint the Muslim shopkeepers assaulted a Buddhist monk...which didn't go down real well with the locals.

As far as posting links to newspapers as a reputable source of information....an old bloke told me many years ago - the only facts in a newspaper are the date and the price...everything else is opinion.

So you don't believe the newspaper stories that the dictators of Burma made themselves incredibly wealthy at the expense of the Burmese people?

How do you comment on any thread on this forum since every subject comes from a newspaper?

Mark Twain is quoted as saying, "Those that fail to read newspapers are uninformed and those that do read newspapers are misinformed". Very droll, but I, personally, don't subscribe to that notion.

Each of the countries involved is extracting its toll on a group of people who have no one fighting in their corner. Burma is run by a bunch of corrupt Generals who are still raping the country, Thailand is not so dissimilar but until recently the politicians were the ones doing the stealing through carefully designed schemes to benefit corrupt officials and friends. Support for the drug trade and human trafficking is huge business and you can be sure the booty runs to the top. Malaysia and Indonesia are taking the people to work for bugger all and kicking back those it doesn't want. Humanity is a scarce resource in Asia.

You know what I find reprehensible? Thai officials that deflect and divert blame to others while minimizing, even denying any responsibility. I will have to say Robby your skill at this is as good or better than any of these Thai officials.

Another who has to resort to insults rather than attempt to rebut anything I have written.

It would seem you don't believe that Burma has any responsibility in this.

It according to you is all Thailand and the Thai peoples doing, they arranged to get these people on boats and are the only ones who have benefited.

Edited by Robby nz

^RobbyNZ^ #21

There is no debating with you Robby. When somebody points out a fact that doesnt agree with you, your butt gets hurt and you call it insulting. If one day you could some how manage to take a peek out from under that blind you have so firmly planted over your eyes, you might see some reality the rest of the world lives in.

There are millions of Burmese, Cambodians and Lao working here in Thailand, the vast majority are doing that illegally. A very large percentage of those are being exploited by there employers. Many being debt bound, enslaved, and children working 16 hours a day. With the Thai govt doing very little to change that.

So when you say there are only a very few Thai criminals in this game, I totally disagree. You are like the deference lawyer for a large part of the Thai population after being criminally charged with accessories before and after the fact. Check the definition. But there is no denying this problem has existed, and condoned for so long its a normal way of life here with very few seeing it as a crime against human rights.

Whoever, knowing that an offense has been committed, receives, relieves, comforts or assists the offender in order to hinder or prevent his apprehension, trial or punishment, is an accessory after the fact; one who knowing a felony to have been committed by another, receives, relieves, comforts, or assists the felon in order to hinder the felon's apprehension, trial, or punishment

A person who aids, abets, or encourages another to commit a crime but who is not present at the scene. An accessory before the fact, like an accomplice, may be held criminally liable to the same extent as the principal.

Your assumption that I think Burma has no responsibility in this is just ridiculous. I think I have made it very clear in other threads, that I believe most countries, particularly Asian countries govts are and have been conspiring to keep this trade and exploitation thriving. Just so your butt doesnt get hurt and you think I am signaling out anybody in particular. I will include countries in North and South America many European countries, the UNHCR and several other Human Rights organizations in this.

^RobbyNZ^ #21

There is no debating with you Robby. When somebody points out a fact that doesnt agree with you, your butt gets hurt and you call it insulting. If one day you could some how manage to take a peek out from under that blind you have so firmly planted over your eyes, you might see some reality the rest of the world lives in.

There are millions of Burmese, Cambodians and Lao working here in Thailand, the vast majority are doing that illegally. A very large percentage of those are being exploited by there employers. Many being debt bound, enslaved, and children working 16 hours a day. With the Thai govt doing very little to change that.

So when you say there are only a very few Thai criminals in this game, I totally disagree. You are like the deference lawyer for a large part of the Thai population after being criminally charged with accessories before and after the fact. Check the definition. But there is no denying this problem has existed, and condoned for so long its a normal way of life here with very few seeing it as a crime against human rights.

Whoever, knowing that an offense has been committed, receives, relieves, comforts or assists the offender in order to hinder or prevent his apprehension, trial or punishment, is an accessory after the fact; one who knowing a felony to have been committed by another, receives, relieves, comforts, or assists the felon in order to hinder the felon's apprehension, trial, or punishment

A person who aids, abets, or encourages another to commit a crime but who is not present at the scene. An accessory before the fact, like an accomplice, may be held criminally liable to the same extent as the principal.

Your assumption that I think Burma has no responsibility in this is just ridiculous. I think I have made it very clear in other threads, that I believe most countries, particularly Asian countries govts are and have been conspiring to keep this trade and exploitation thriving. Just so your butt doesnt get hurt and you think I am signaling out anybody in particular. I will include countries in North and South America many European countries, the UNHCR and several other Human Rights organizations in this.

The first thing you need to do is look up the definition of insults.

Once you have done that then you should post proof of your assertions.

Having seen your previous posts I recognize you as among the Thai haters on this site who leap in at every opportunity to bash everything Thai. While I suspect you may have had some sort of problem with Thailand and Thai people in the past it really is no reason to continue spewing out your hate.

^RobbyNZ^ #21

The first thing you need to do is look up the definition of insults.

Once you have done that then you should post proof of your assertions.

Having seen your previous posts I recognize you as among the Thai haters on this site who leap in at every opportunity to bash everything Thai. While I suspect you may have had some sort of problem with Thailand and Thai people in the past it really is no reason to continue spewing out your hate.

"Thai Haters" "Spewing Hate" "Bash everything Thai"

Yet another and very typical, broken record response from RobbyNZ.clap2.gif