91.5fm

The Big Mango

Excellent news if true.

I am convinced there must be a correlation between the present nauseating English language radio on Phuket and the ever increasing road rage incidents.

15 minutes with the current station(s) on in the car could turn the most ardent pacifist into a raging homicidal maniac spewing death and destruction from behind his multi-function steering wheel.

They said about two or three months ago that they would be back on air very soon. When it didn't happen (until now), I assumed a spanner in the works. Can't remember where I read it - possibly their FB page.

They said about two or three months ago that they would be back on air very soon. When it didn't happen (until now), I assumed a spanner in the works. Can't remember where I read it - possibly their FB page.

91.5FM has been back on air for about a month. Strange thing is, they are not subjected to compulsory half an hour broadcast of Thai national news station in the morning, noon, 6pm, 7 pm and 8pm. Yes, its good to have some competition. 89.5 have been getting away with some sloppy programming (repeated programs) lately.

On their website 91.5fm announced on 28 April 2015 that they were waiting for 'the phone call' to commence radio broadcast. I tuned in next time I was in the car - nothing. I'll try again today. 91.5 never stopped their internet broadcasting. I just wonder how many listeners they actually get on the local Phuket radio transmission. I guess mostly folks driving their car. I suspect less than a 100, and only for short periods.

They could still be testing. I don't really like the current crop of DJs on 89.5 so happy 91.5 is back on although it will never be the same without poor old Doris.

Yes, DJ Doris. I knew him well and in person. I was quite shaken to hear of his fatal accident.

I really miss the old Bluewave 90.5 radio. I used it as an reference, why Spotify does not have so good market prediction here, as we have a radio station without too much stupid DJ talk, and often very good music.

Hopefully it will come back to life again.

I agree with you O, I miss them too. I called the station one time after they had been off the air for awhile and spoke to a women who said that their business was only marginally profitable and then the govt. substantially raised their licensing fee and they decided not to renew. She said that there was a possibility that a reduction might be negotiated, but that was quite some time ago, so maybe not.

The guy who runs the restaurant near you "Monkey Pod" used to manage the station, so you could stop in for lunch and probably get the whole story with latest updates.