What percentage of Buddhists who have ever lived have reached Enlightenment?

Goosood

What percentage of the Thai population is really privately busy following the 8 fold path to Enlightenment/Nirvana? Most just give some food to monks and go to a Temple a few times a year. Buy an amulet, do some spirit workshop. That is all their Buddhism consists of. They are not busy with an 8 fold path. Is your experience different? You see the majority of Thais busy with following the 8 fold path? Seriously trying to reach Enlightenment? I don't see that at all.

How many Buddhists in history have followed the 8 fold path? How many Thais do that now? Meditation is very important in that path. Not many do this. What percentage of Buddhists who have ever lived have reached Enlightenment? 0.00001% ?

whistling.gif Many Buddhists do not like the term "enlightenment".

The saying is "those who know, do not speak; those who speak do not know".

For many who seek "understanding" to "seek enlightenment" shows you have misunderstood the purpose of "enlightenment".

But to answer your question more directly I expect far less than 1% of Buddhists that start out with a goal of "seeking enlightenment" (whatever that is) actually feel they have reached that level .... even if they feel they know what it is.

In Zen there is a saying, rather like a joke, abut "enlightenment", that goes like this.

Before enlightenment, drawing water and chopping wood;

After enlightenment, drawing enlightened water and chopping enlightened wood.

For many Zen Buddhists it is not the goal that is the point it is understanding of why you follow the path.

In Thailand it doesn't seem that there are many if any that attain enlightenment; what seems to be the case is that enlightenment (the whole point of the teaching) has completely disappeared from the picture being replaced by supporting ones pastors in exchange for buhn with animism running along side for gook luck!

I can't remember the name of the kind or kinds of Buddhism most Thai's reportedly follow but I don't think either of them was Zen; I remember reading that, disregarding Zen, there are two major factions, one believing in reincarnation and one not or at least not, as such.

• 5 weeks later...

A Arahant is not allowed to talk of his fortune after death so we will never know.

The important think is to like mindful of every aspect of life not with the aim to achieving Enlightenment but with the goal to seeking understanding which leads to wisdom.

A Arahant is not allowed to talk of his fortune after death so we will never know.

The important think is to like mindful of every aspect of life not with the aim to achieving Enlightenment but with the goal to seeking understanding which leads to wisdom.

I don't think an Arahant is capable of speaking after death.

Isn't it more like:

a. Awakening, is a state free from ego & therefore no need to elevate ones status.

b. This state can only be experienced.

Rockyysdt as I understood it when one reaches the level of Arahant they know they are not going to be reborn on this earth before they die. But I am as always open to being educated if my knowledge is lacking.

This is unrelated to the percentages, but some might find it useful. Read it recently and it gave me some real insights into misconceptions I had: "What the Buddha Taught" , by Dr Walpola Rahula,

What percentage of the Thai population is really privately busy following the 8 fold path to Enlightenment/Nirvana? Most just give some food to monks and go to a Temple a few times a year. Buy an amulet, do some spirit workshop. That is all their Buddhism consists of. They are not busy with an 8 fold path. Is your experience different? You see the majority of Thais busy with following the 8 fold path? Seriously trying to reach Enlightenment? I don't see that at all.

There is a great book by Thai Monk P A Payutto (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prayudh_Payutto) but I forget the name, it was given out free at temples and became a sort of 'handbook for mandkind' wink wink, but it had a great prologue about the face saving gambits we see today.

How many Buddhists in history have followed the 8 fold path? How many Thais do that now? Meditation is very important in that path. Not many do this. What percentage of Buddhists who have ever lived have reached Enlightenment? 0.00001% ?

Even Buddha himself had to return from the path to enlightenment to sell the 'middle way' to the layman............

Anyway, your question is fundamentally flawed, it's not about the ending, its about the journey ;)

I think I can safely say there are more buddhists following the 8 fold path in India than in Thailand.

Theravada Buddhism says only males can achieve enlightenment.. reality is anyone can.

8 fold path says craving is why people suffer.. to not suffer in pain, you have to give up craving things. But most in Thailand crave about the latest motorbike, car and the newest iphone. When you've removed that part of the population, then you have the true buddhists. Compare that with those wanting to find enlightenment in Buddhist temples in India and the numbers will support what I said in the first sentence of this post.

I think I can safely say there are more buddhists following the 8 fold path in India than in Thailand.

Theravada Buddhism says only males can achieve enlightenment.. reality is anyone can.

8 fold path says craving is why people suffer.. to not suffer in pain, you have to give up craving things. But most in Thailand crave about the latest motorbike, car and the newest iphone. When you've removed that part of the population, then you have the true buddhists. Compare that with those wanting to find enlightenment in Buddhist temples in India and the numbers will support what I said in the first sentence of this post.

how many indians are trying to become enlightened in temples in india?

Hi JS not nit picking but I think you are referring to the 4 Nobel Truth.

The Four Noble Truths are the truth of suffering, the truth of the cause of suffering, the truth of freedom from suffering, and the truth of the way to eliminate suffering, which is the Eightfold Path. Sadly consumerism has landed hard in Thailand and the old morals and principles are now not as respected by the younger generation who crave like most Westerners do.

post-18180-0-03324600-1435182033_thumb.j

Found the above break down HERE and have to admit it surprised me.

Archived