Wet Season XC Tyre [Tire]

bobfish

I'm looking for some XC tyres for the impending mud/slimy clay/roots season for my Hardtail. Presently running Panaracer Hardpacks 27.5 x 2.0. I'd consider something like a Maxxis advantage [2.1] but they're not available in 27.5" . LBS trying to sell me Crossmarks blink.png !!!!

I'm thinking of some thing more aggressive at the front than rear, but open minded. Anyone any recommendations?

Those recommending High Rollers etc need not apply. I've got another bike for that.smile.png

Edited by bobfish

I switched out Maxxis Ardent/High Roller combination for Continental Trail King/Race King. I prefer this combo on my HT and provides more grip that you might thing in the sticky slimy stuff.

Edited by moonoi

Last rainy season I rode Maxxis Highroller II, which worked well in wet conditions. However, I didn't like the cornering behaviour, so I just switched to Schwalbe Hans Dampf... which are really great so far. Let's see how it goes in the mud. For a deep mud grip monster, Schwalbe Magic Mary is hard to beat, but it's slow on dry hard surfaces. Obviously, none of these are XC tyres. If you look for a somewhat lighter tread, I found the Specialized Purgatory Control very decent.

Cheers, CM-Expat

Thanks Gents, I'll have a look at the suggestions. With this bike I'm trying to stay within the XC design brief, ie less than 2.2 wide, light and fast[ish] rolling.

Running HRII/MinionII and Bontrager XR4/HRII combos on other bikes, but agree with the Hans Dampf/Mary comments. I actually quite like the Bontrager [!!].

There's also the ubiquitous Racing Ralphs, had them on my 29er XC bike, and they were a great allrounder, front and rear. But out of everything. I found the conti combination above the most confidence inspiring :-)

Several friends in Europe are very satisfied with the new Specialized's Butcher (front), Slaughter (rear)
on their 650b for xc purposes especially on muddy, slippery spring surfaces.
Others swear by Schwalbe "Hans Dampf".
Here in CNX I ride off-road on "Racing Ralph" but will bring along a pair of both mentioned above from Europe after my summer visit.

There's also the ubiquitous Racing Ralphs, had them on my 29er XC bike, and they were a great allrounder, front and rear. But out of everything. I found the conti combination above the most confidence inspiring :-)

Thanks! I was considering the Racing Ralphs simply because they've been around so long.

I know I'm going to have to compromise somewhere; I want a tyre that goes up, down and turns in slippery wet conditions, but is still light and fast.....cheesy.gif

Several friends in Europe are very satisfied with the new Specialized's Butcher (front), Slaughter (rear)

on their 650b for xc purposes especially on muddy, slippery spring surfaces.

Others swear by Schwalbe "Hans Dampf".

Here in CNX I ride off-road on "Racing Ralph" but will bring along a pair of both mentioned above from Europe after my summer visit.

Cheers Rebo, I thought maybe the Butcher /Slaughter combo was a bit hard core, maybe I need a rethink!!! Perhaps I'm also not being realistic by hoping to ride the hardtail in the hills during the 'green' season here in Phuket - but I'd like to try!!

Are you buying locally or looking to import? Whenever I shop for tires locally, it's more a question of what's available than of what I want. Importing, we pay a premium for access to a bigger selection. Anyway, my wet season tire is the Specialized Captain Control 2.2.

The Geax Saguaro tires are made in Thailand and work great. Used them the last two rainy seasons and they have good grip and don't tend to pack clay.

And boring fact of the day, Geax are now known as Vittoria - North America, so you can now find their tyres under both brands, as if choosing a tyre isn't complicated enough ;-)

*Geax has always been owned by Vittoria, but they decided to rebrand as they weren't being very successful in the U.S.

If you want good tyre, and easy to find in Thailand, then you can't go far wrong with the Racing Ralphs.

The Geax Saguaro tires are made in Thailand and work great. Used them the last two rainy seasons and they have good grip and don't tend to pack clay.

Sounds great! Due to an obviously not in every case appropriate prejudice I never searched deeper for Geax Saguaro reports.

But what I read here, too (http://chinertown.com/index.php?topic=27.0), has all it takes to give them a try ...

Edited by rebo

Forget Racing Ralph. I remember this XC race last year where it started to rain heavily in the middle of the race just after the uphill part. All of the guys with their Racing Ralphs (and similar tyres) were slipping and sliding down the mountain. Fortunately, I had just put on my new High Rollers and I passed dozens of riders on the forest downhill section.

Cheers, CM-Expat

Well a quick 20k loop on the 'Rons seems to justify their purpose. They hook up well for an xc tyre, shed mud easily and are reasonably fast rolling.

Can recommend, but I'm still interested in trying the other tyres recommended on here. Thanks!smile.png