Planned power outage for Chiang Mai today?

Saan

My wife was told there would be a an interruption to electricity supplies for an hour sometime today. The grapevine stopped short of a time. Is anyone aware of when?

Last week PEA strung some new wires in front of me..... the electric was off for almost 7 hrs....... and it was surprise , surprise.

I seem to remember when one of the utilities was to be shut off , the day before a sound truck rode thru the area to be effected and made the announcement. Haven't seen or heard that in years.

re

The grapevine stopped short of a time. Is anyone aware of when?

its usually about 10 minits after the first clap of thunder or lightning thats forecasat for toiday smile.png

dave2

It was instantaneous on Saturday. One clap of thunder, and everything off for 20 seconds. Thank goodness I have a power supply for my computing gear!

re

The grapevine stopped short of a time. Is anyone aware of when?

its usually about 10 minits after the first clap of thunder or lightning thats forecasat for toiday smile.png

dave2

You got that right Dave.

Relax and go to with the flow. Power outages happen from time to time. If you are prepared it helps.

Plan ahead, purchase a UPS (uninterrupted power supply) for your computer. if you want internet service during a power outage, plug your router into a UPS as well. Have flashlight or other light device handy in case the power goes off at night time, and enjoy a change of plans.

if you are concerned about a potential power outage this time of year, turn off your air-conditioner. You are having a part in over taxing the transformer in your local area.. A lot of people are running their air-conditioners these days because of the heat and the transformers are on overload. The big fuses on the power poles blow from time to time.

What do I do? If there is a power outage during the day, I like to find a shady spot outside, get my lawn chair out and make myself comfortable with a book. After dark, i find a flashlight, open the windows,, by-pass the water-pump so i have running water downstairs at least and then i sit down with a book .....or we play a game as a family. My kids enjoy the adventure. Enjoy and Relax.

The whole city of Chiang Mai has never been without power at the same time. There have been large areas without power, but never the whole city or a whole province. You have to live in places like eastern USA to experience power outages that cover several states and 1-3 weeks without power. Here you will usually have power within a few minutes to 8 hours. SMILE

Relax and go to with the flow. Power outages happen from time to time. If you are prepared it helps.

Plan ahead, purchase a UPS (uninterrupted power supply) for your computer. if you want internet service during a power outage, plug your router into a UPS as well. Have flashlight or other light device handy in case the power goes off at night time, and enjoy a change of plans.

if you are concerned about a potential power outage this time of year, turn off your air-conditioner. You are having a part in over taxing the transformer in your local area.. A lot of people are running their air-conditioners these days because of the heat and the transformers are on overload. The big fuses on the power poles blow from time to time.

What do I do? If there is a power outage during the day, I like to find a shady spot outside, get my lawn chair out and make myself comfortable with a book. After dark, i find a flashlight, open the windows,, by-pass the water-pump so i have running water downstairs at least and then i sit down with a book .....or we play a game as a family. My kids enjoy the adventure. Enjoy and Relax.

The minute the power goes out I grab my flashlight and Kindle and curl up to a good book. The power always returns. If it is a planned outage there is always a notice in the elevators.

The outage affected Immigration in Chiang Mai from 09.30 until 10.am. Everything out: lights, tannoy, computers but Officials laboured on with torches and vocals.

Well done to everyone!!

I can see myself having fun with this patronising chappie in the future.

teacher? life coach? Disciple of God?

Now, now he was trying to be nice. Retract claws and fangs.

My kind of people during a disaster....thumbsup.gif

The whole city of Chiang Mai has never been without power at the same time. There have been large areas without power, but never the whole city or a whole province. You have to live in places like eastern USA to experience power outages that cover several states and 1-3 weeks without power. Here you will usually have power within a few minutes to 8 hours. SMILE

Yes. In some ways the infrastructure in LOS is better than the US. I tend to forget that.

I vote for all of the above.......

Funny, but I got the same impression , fortified by checking and totaling up the hours that the so learned member has been on board.

Maybe he is just a TV reincarnate.

Well nobody seemed to list the transformer blowing on a clear, not yet hot, no rain, no dew, not too humid, not too cloudy day. But just about 5 minutes ago we had one blow across the street with a trememdous KA-BOOM. Feel sorry for the 3 young school girls just exiting the condo next door, who no doubt thought they had been killed. One then went back in to possibly change her undies.

.... and no scheduled announcement or sign posting or sound truck for advance warning.

This seems to happen to these couple transformers about twice a year, but usually during or after a rain.

Edited by Gonzo the Face

Now, now he was trying to be nice. Retract claws and fangs.

Be nice folks. Clearly he's been thru the sort of power outages we can only have in the United States -- you know the most advanced country on earth. We once were without power for eight days. That was in August, so I guess "they" figured it wasn't so bad. Another time it was five days, but that was in January. Two or three days at a go was fairly common. We lived in the most populated county in Michigan, too. Not exactly out in the sticks. Here the little outages of 20 minutes to 2 hours are just little minor inconveniences. Not the major, income-killing disasters they were in Michigan.

Well nobody seemed to list the transformer blowing on a clear, not yet hot, no rain, no dew, not too humid, not too cloudy day. But just about 5 minutes ago we had one blow across the street with a trememdous KA-BOOM. Feel sorry for the 3 young school girls just exiting the condo next door, who no doubt thought they had been killed. One then went back in to possibly change her undies.

.... and no scheduled announcement or sign posting or sound truck for advance warning.

This seems to happen to these couple transformers about twice a year, but usually during or after a rain.

Yeah, the "transformer blowing" seems to be a Thai phenomenon. I think someone said it's actually like a circuit breaker tripping and not the transformer blowing up or anything really very drastic. They do seems to get everything sorted fairly quickly. But, the first time you hear one, you figure the revolution has started. (oh wait, that's already happened, a couple of times since we've arrived)

For a while, we lived in a condo with a transformer right outside our bedroom window. Inches away. I often wondered what would have happened if it "blew" when we were inside the bedroom. Fortunately, we had thick, padded window screens, which we always kept down at that window. Still, the noise would have been deafening.

Yeah, the "transformer blowing" seems to be a Thai phenomenon. I think someone said it's actually like a circuit breaker tripping and not the transformer blowing up or anything really very drastic. They do seems to get everything sorted fairly quickly. But, the first time you hear one, you figure the revolution has started. (oh wait, that's already happened, a couple of times since we've arrived)

For a while, we lived in a condo with a transformer right outside our bedroom window. Inches away. I often wondered what would have happened if it "blew" when we were inside the bedroom. Fortunately, we had thick, padded window screens, which we always kept down at that window. Still, the noise would have been deafening.

Years ago where I lived in Washington state every once in a while they would just blow no reason. I believe they have improved them quite a bit since then. Then was a long long time ago.

Thanks to the OP for posting this.

For once we had the outage and I did not have to patrol round the house looking for the source of the interuption.

I always think it's only our house that gets cut-off because there is something wrong with our electrics.

For once I did not have to be paranoid!!

Yeah, not like in Michigan when the first thing we'd turn do is on the radio to see how many states were affected. So nice to be living here in Thailand where the infrastructure is much more reliable.

Edited by NancyL

More often we get hit with a water 'outage'.

Of course you don't realize this has happened until you've turned on a tap and no flow. Usually happens just before you are going out and in need of a shower. A little splashing out of a water bottle has to suffice. Then reach for the deodorant.