Former anti-govt protester arrested for destroying Thai Police HQ sign

webfact

Former Anti-Govt Protester Arrested for Destroying Police HQ Sign
By Khaosod English

hq.jpg
Anti-government protesters vandalize the police HQ sign in Bangkok, 22 Jan 2014.

BANGKOK — Police say they have arrested a man who vandalized a granite entrance sign in front of the Royal Thai Police headquarters during anti-government protests in Bangkok sixteen months ago.

Weerachart Premkamol has been charged with illegal assembly, inciting unrest, and damaging public property for allegedly dismantling and spray painting the sign along with other protesters on 22 January 2014.

The court issued an arrest warrant on Weerachart two months later.

Weerachart was arrested yesterday afternoon at the Revenue Department office and brought to the Division of Special Investigation with his lawyer. The suspect was later granted a bail released after posting a bond of 50,000 baht.

Speaking to reporters upon his release, Weerachart said he joined protests organized by the Student and People Network for Thailand Reform (STR) in front of the police headquarters on 22 January 2014, but did not participate in the vandalism of the building sign.

"I also didn’t know the court issued an arrest warrant on me until this afternoon," Weerachart said.

Full story: http://www.khaosodenglish.com/detail.php?newsid=1432012264

kse.png
-- Khaosod English 2015-05-19

It was clearly recorded and broadcast on 22 last january...........but.......

He did NOT participate...

Hmm.....why on earth would they (the RTP) hand an arrest warrant for him out?

Edited by hgma

So the court issued an arrest warrant in March 2014, and the guy was doing his day to day practices for another 14 months.

In any other civilized country the police would come knock on your door within 24 hours after the arrest warrant was issued.

What am I missing here?

good, arrest all the idiots doesnt matter who they support, ifthey break the law they need to face justice

If you intend to lock up every lawbreaker in Thailand, I am wondering who will be left outside the jails.

So the court issued an arrest warrant in March 2014, and the guy was doing his day to day practices for another 14 months.

In any other civilized country the police would come knock on your door within 24 hours after the arrest warrant was issued.

What am I missing here?

You appear to be missing the point of this country as many other posts. They're a bunch of savages with no inkling as to how their 'softly.do bugger all' is leading their, haha, 'beloved' country to ever more to ruin. <deleted> 'em.

Edited by dageurreotype

The photo shows a person using a spray can to write on the sign at the Police HQ, in the daytime.

Why did not a Police person come outside and arrest this person when he started this desecration?

looks like two of them painting.

The photo shows a person using a spray can to write on the sign at the Police HQ, in the daytime.

Why did not a Police person come outside and arrest this person when he started this desecration?

Same reason they were able to take over govt offices, they were protected by the military.

Same reason they were able to take over govt offices, they were protected by the military.

I don't think they were protected, reason also why a policeman was taking pictures as evidence, but I think theyu wanted to avoid a May 2010 situation

Maybe you have forgotten what happened during the events when the main police station in Bangkok was ransacked by protestors. Here a little reminder that the police station was surrounded by vandals that used any means to enter it. Displayed on national and international TV the world got a glimpse of how Thailand deals with demonstrations. The courts and military had warned the police not to use violence against ‘peaceful’ protestors, which culminated in a statement by the leading general of the Royal Thai Police, who was in charge of the station, to publicly state: “That the police station was build with taxpayers money and so they also had a right to tear or burn it down.”

I can’t see a problem for his defence should the case go to court. We had persons in the background advocating for the ransacking of public places and buildings and an endorsement by a high ranking police officer. How should a Thai like him, who is only a pawn in the game of political power struggle, know that he was doing wrong?