Rohingya are illegal migrants, not refugees: Thai Army Chief

webfact

Oh why, oh why can't all the liberal do-gooder w*nk*** in the EU think like this.... Illegal immigrant has now become "migrant"

The majority being young men unable to apply for migration due to lack of funds, qualifications of language ability. Send them home... Surely trying to bypass correct procedure and application is a crime..

Or maybe I should paddle a canoe to Monaco who's standard of living is higher than what I'm used to.. Figure they will grant me asylum ?

Beg to differ.

If you look at the pictures of these people, Rohingya and Bangladeshi, you see that the Bangladeshis are all male. The Rohingya have men, women and children. That is why they (Rohingya and Bangladeshis) are segragated when in holding facilities in places like Indonesia.

So your argument holds no water in regard to the Rohingya. People fleeing persecution and murder are refugees.

• Replies 303
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nobody wants them to starve at sea, and I don't think any country intended for that to happen.. (hence providing food & water), but it's not surprising no one was rushing out there to scoop them up in a drop ship and "rescue" them.

It's easy enough to look at pictures of them starving on boats and assume that they're victims of cruelty, but I don't imagine for a second that they're entirely blameless in their plight. It's difficult to know what you can believe, but there's certainly some reports floating around of their antisocial behaviour in Burma. If you desecrate a buddha statue in a buddhist country, you're going to get some push back.

Anyhow, I find it noteworthy that Burma has refused to be involved in any discussion about resolving the issue. If any rohingyas are found to be legitimate refugees during the verification process, then that would result in sanctions for Burma - but the Burmese don't seem to think there's even a possibility of that. Again, I'm sure the burmese aren't entirely blameless, but they seem pretty confident that there's no chance the rohingyas will be found to be legitimate refugees.

Nobody wants them to starve at sea, and I don't think any country intended for that to happen.. (hence providing food & water), but it's not surprising no one was rushing out there to scoop them up in a drop ship and "rescue" them.

It's easy enough to look at pictures of them starving on boats and assume that they're victims of cruelty, but I don't imagine for a second that they're entirely blameless in their plight. It's difficult to know what you can believe, but there's certainly some reports floating around of their antisocial behaviour in Burma. If you desecrate a buddha statue in a buddhist country, you're going to get some push back.

Anyhow, I find it noteworthy that Burma has refused to be involved in any discussion about resolving the issue. If any rohingyas are found to be legitimate refugees during the verification process, then that would result in sanctions for Burma - but the Burmese don't seem to think there's even a possibility of that. Again, I'm sure the burmese aren't entirely blameless, but they seem pretty confident that there's no chance the rohingyas will be found to be legitimate refugees.

Burma has refused to be involved because they approve of their extermination

U.S. Campaign for Burma - Rohingya: Ethnic Cleansing

uscampaignforburma.org › About Burma › Conflict & Human Rights

Government persecution has enabled Rakhine Buddhist nationalists to implement a reign of terror against the Rohingya with impunity. Hate speech directed against Rohingya Muslims appears regularly in state-run media, and some Buddhist monks have instigated vitriolic rumors and discrimination against the minority group. Hate speech has helped fuel waves of violence and systematic arson attacks in Rakhine State.
Of the hundreds of thousands of Rohingya that have fled to Bangladesh, Thailand, and Malaysia to escape persecution and adversity, approximately 300,000 Rohingya live in squalid conditions in Bangladesh where they are denied access to food supplies, medical aid, and education. In essence, the Rohingya are “Exiled to Nowhere.”

<snip>

I like the Aussie stance ..... If you don't have a valid visa, you cannot enter Australia. You can only obtain a visa in your home country. You cannot obtain an entry visa in Australia.

In relation to refugees / asylum seekers your understanding is incorrect. Current allocation for the Australian humanitarian intake is 20,000 per year; the vast majority of whom are granted an entry visa whilst in third party countries.

Refugee—for people who are subject to persecution in their home country, who are typically outside their home country, and are in need of resettlement.

https://www.immi.gov.au/media/fact-sheets/60refugee.htm

As you know offshore processing and permanent refusal for entry to Australia applies to 'boat people'. People arriving by air and then claiming refugees / asylum status are not shipped offshore for processing

As callous as it seems, it would appear that all countries are in favor of giving them food, water & medicine and sufficient fuel so they can return to where they came from, be that Myanmar or Bangladesh. It was mentioned on the news that some Myanmar migrants were telling UNHCR officials they were Rohingya refugees so they would qualify for aid assistance.

And now the Phillipines has announced the same will apply should any boats arrive in it's waters.

It is the correct thing to do as letting them in would send the message that any arrivals by boat will be taken care of. This would have 100,s of thousands turn up in days. This is simply not the solution.

As shown by Thailand and other countries ... assist and help them in a humanitarian way with food, water & all the essentials.

Next step would be to go after the smugglers and kill them. This will stop further boats coming and also assist those in need now.

Are you still a human being or are you a brainwashed completely dumbed down clown ???

I know who the clown is and it is not steven 100, wake up or better still you take in 6 or 10 of them into your home and look after them because that is what you want everyone else to do, send them back home boat arrivals should not be tollerated and the government is doing the right thing, it has happened everywhere else in the world, if you let in one boatload of illegal immigrants in ( and make no mistake that is what they are not refugees ) hundreds of thousands will follow and the resulting problems will eventually overwhelm the people of Thailand. Be strong General.

<snip>

I like the Aussie stance ..... If you don't have a valid visa, you cannot enter Australia. You can only obtain a visa in your home country. You cannot obtain an entry visa in Australia.

In relation to refugees / asylum seekers your understanding is incorrect. Current allocation for the Australian humanitarian intake is 20,000 per year; the vast majority of whom are granted an entry visa whilst in third party countries.

Refugee—for people who are subject to persecution in their home country, who are typically outside their home country, and are in need of resettlement.

https://www.immi.gov.au/media/fact-sheets/60refugee.htm

As you know offshore processing and permanent refusal for entry to Australia applies to 'boat people'. People arriving by air and then claiming refugees / asylum status are not shipped offshore for processing

that is all true and the boat people here should get no more assistance than in Australia and even less as this is an attempt to force their way into a country illegally

thailand is, as everyone knows, very protective so its understanding the way they handle the immigration problems ....

I think that the eu could learn a few things and start to care a bit about their own people, don't understand me wrong, it has nothing to do with being racist it's a simple matter of self preservation ...

Myanmar does not recognise Rohingya as citizens, so you're correct at this stage Myanmar will not recognise them as refugees. Indeed, according to so called Burmese Buddhists, as "not as really human, not deserving to live".

http://asiapacific.anu.edu.au/newmandala/2014/06/15/rohingya-denied-the-right-to-be-human/

Government persecution has enabled Rakhine Buddhist nationalists to implement a reign of terror against the Rohingya with impunity. Hate speech directed against Rohingya Muslims appears regularly in state-run media, and some Buddhist monks have instigated vitriolic rumors and discrimination against the minority group. Hate speech has helped fuel waves of violence and systematic arson attacks in Rakhine State.
Of the hundreds of thousands of Rohingya that have fled to Bangladesh, Thailand, and Malaysia to escape persecution and adversity, approximately 300,000 Rohingya live in squalid conditions in Bangladesh where they are denied access to food supplies, medical aid, and education. In essence, the Rohingya are “Exiled to Nowhere.”

Do not believe everything you read put out by the bleeding heart liberals, there are always two sides to a story and as a group the rohingya people have done their share of religious denigration of the buddist religion in the area and as we are all aware mohamad is the only true god according to the islamic religion and the rest are all infidels, so lets get it in perspective if you lived in the middle of them you may just have a different view.

Some of the attitudes on here are disgusting. Boats full of human beings are drifting out at sea desperate and hungry and some of the attitude is "so what, they are Muslims they deserve it" you do know it is the Rohingya that are victims of brutal prejudice in Burma right? Think before you Start spitting your ignorant, racist bile. And Yes I would take them into the uk where despite similar attitudes multi-culturism works.

Don't think so. As indicated, most comments are calling for a sensible solution. Feed them, give them water, take care of any injured, give them help and any assistance, provide fuel & send them back.

Do not believe everything you read put out by the bleeding heart liberals, there are always two sides to a story and as a group the rohingya people have done their share of religious denigration of the buddist religion in the area and as we are all aware mohamad is the only true god according to the islamic religion and the rest are all infidels, so lets get it in perspective if you lived in the middle of them you may just have a different view.

F#*k em i say i do not want them in my country

Agree, but you could have put it in a better way.

EU is now filling up with so called refugees and I'm quite sure Thailand and the Thai people know it and just don't want the same thing to happen here.

Why not handle it the diplomatic way?

Just help them for humanitarian reasons, but don't announce it in the public because it might be regarded as an invitation.

Edited by micmichd

I saw a photo recently of a young girl who had been on one of the boats. She looked about ten, and she was wearing a cheap home-made Hijab and basically rags.

She looked really frightened, confused, hungry and exhausted. Having read this thread, I would ask you, did this ten-year old girl choose to be a Muslim, did she choose to wear the Hijab, does she know any other way to dress? I'm amazed that people say "these are Muslims, don't let them in, just think of the Terror ." She is just a little girl who almost drowned and was starved and dehydrated in a rickety tub full of desperate people.

I am a Christian, and I don't see this girl as anything other than a little girl born into a place and time, and culture, which she had absolutely zero control over. She doesn't even understand all the adult conflicts and prejudices, and she deserves kindness from her fellow human beings. And so do all the other boat people who are in desperate need.

There are two dilemmas playing out at once, the first is "how to solve the problem" ie. the source nation's oppression. This is a huge complex problem and there is nothing that can be done by tweeting about it. The solutions have to start internally within the source nations, one way or another.

The second dilemma, "how do we cope with the problem." This is also complex and difficult, but has the positive aspect that solutions can be found outside the source nation. My first thought is, rescue them from drowning, give them food, drink and shelter. That is just common decency.

The solutions are not simple or easy, and even more so in nations that are already struggling in many ways. But some kind of humanitarian response is urgent and not open to debate, we can not stand around giving clever speeches with fancy words, while people drown and starve. This is not an option in a world that throws away good food on trash heaps every single day, has unused dry land, and lowpaid manual work that needs doing. Solutions can be found, once we stop posturing on our high horses for a minute.

BS. In America, we had a Born Again Christian invade a country that had nothing to do with 9/11, trigger a civil war, and cost us trillions of $$.

Don't think any of these boat people aspire to such high & mighty deeds as that finger-painting war criminal down in Texas has.

As callous as it seems, it would appear that all countries are in favor of giving them food, water & medicine and sufficient fuel so they can return to where they came from, be that Myanmar or Bangladesh. It was mentioned on the news that some Myanmar migrants were telling UNHCR officials they were Rohingya refugees so they would qualify for aid assistance.

And now the Phillipines has announced the same will apply should any boats arrive in it's waters.

It is the correct thing to do as letting them in would send the message that any arrivals by boat will be taken care of. This would have 100,s of thousands turn up in days. This is simply not the solution.

As shown by Thailand and other countries ... assist and help them in a humanitarian way with food, water & all the essentials.

Next step would be to go after the smugglers and kill them. This will stop further boats coming and also assist those in need now.

Are you still a human being or are you a brainwashed completely dumbed down clown ???

I know who the clown is and it is not steven 100, wake up or better still you take in 6 or 10 of them into your home and look after them because that is what you want everyone else to do, send them back home boat arrivals should not be tollerated and the government is doing the right thing, it has happened everywhere else in the world, if you let in one boatload of illegal immigrants in ( and make no mistake that is what they are not refugees ) hundreds of thousands will follow and the resulting problems will eventually overwhelm the people of Thailand. Be strong General.

Difficult to respond to this, especially without resorting to Anglo Saxon, however the facts and reality prove you wrong.

Suggest you research what happened with the Vietnamese boat people.

@ Linzz # 150

I do read news - extensively - but I also read something other than liberal - leftist - socialist whining diatribes... I want news not emotionally driven dribble filled with heart string pulling exaggerations and embellishments designed to convince people to do the absurd ... let boat loads of Muslims settle in Thailand that already has a Muslim population that is killing others every day in South Thailand -- people who suggest bringing more Muslims into Thailand are mentally infirm ...

I've seen a lot of anti-Rohingya bias on social media from the Thai community over the last few days. It's disconcerting to see how many Thais support the push back policy, with arguments ranging from cost, not Thailand's problem, to outright distain for Muslim Rohingya. Worrying times for humanity indeed..

wai2.gif

That why I like Thailand and Thais, none of the bleeding heart PC crap that has crippled the west. Thais are right on every point about these beggars in boats

@ Linzz # 150

I do read news - extensively - but I also read something other than liberal - leftist - socialist whining diatribes... I want news not emotionally driven dribble filled with heart string pulling exaggerations and embellishments designed to convince people to do the absurd ... let boat loads of Muslims settle in Thailand that already has a Muslim population that is killing others every day in South Thailand -- people who suggest bringing more Muslims into Thailand are mentally infirm ...

absolutely agree

I've seen a lot of anti-Rohingya bias on social media from the Thai community over the last few days. It's disconcerting to see how many Thais support the push back policy, with arguments ranging from cost, not Thailand's problem, to outright distain for Muslim Rohingya. Worrying times for humanity indeed..

wai2.gif

That why I like Thailand and Thais, none of the bleeding heart PC crap that has crippled the west. Thais are right on every point about these beggars in boats

"Beggars in boats."

That's what the Native Americans called the Pilgrims back in 1620. Of course, the Europeans also brought along smallpox & plague, so they got to stick around awhile.

@TomJoad # 197

And I suppose you think Sadam Hussein was a nice guy ... despite gassing Kurd villages and running wholesale torture chambers, invading Kuwait - killing thousands and plundering that country... the list of his excesses would fill a book and has filled several.

wai2.gif

"Beggars in boats."

That's what the Native Americans called the Pilgrims back in 1620. Of course, the Europeans also brought along smallpox & plague, so they got to stick around awhile.

Well Hell as long as your are going to go back to drag up old history ...surely you know about the hundreds of years of the waves of the migratory Invasions of the Germanic Tribes across Europe - the Barbarians, The Jutes, The Goths, The Visi Goths, the Burgundians and a dozen more,,, millions killed and enslaved - it is what created the basic structure of today's Europe, How many ridiculous extremes do you dig up ...? pun intended.

@TomJoad # 197

And I suppose you think Sadam Hussein was a nice guy ... despite gassing Kurd villages and running wholesale torture chambers, invading Kuwait - killing thousands and plundering that country... the list of his excesses would fill a book and has filled several.

It is very possible that the West sold Saddam the gas, the racks, and probably even the chains too. It was a win-win deal, we got money for arming him, then we got even more money when we disarmed him, and then we got to wave flags and wear our Hero Hats for a week.

Some of the attitudes on here are disgusting. Boats full of human beings are drifting out at sea desperate and hungry and some of the attitude is "so what, they are Muslims they deserve it" you do know it is the Rohingya that are victims of brutal prejudice in Burma right? Think before you Start spitting your ignorant, racist bile. And Yes I would take them into the uk where despite similar attitudes multi-culturism works.

How about you quit spitting your Liberal - Leftist know it all malarkey on to everyone... I suppose you are sending hefty donations to help these refugees aren't you?

Here you are again with your labels. Just know that you are wishing the worst on boats full of people that have done nothing to you. That makes you the same as the terrorists wishing the worst on the west. You are a terrible human being.

The label fits -- so wear it. You are a naive - know nothing human being ... who calls people disgusting just because they do not support the never ending landing of boat people - but rather want to seek a solution by holding the real culprits accountable -- such as the Traffickers and the country of Bangladesh - the country that is at the BASE ROOT of the problem for their internal policies concerning these downtrodden people. But world bodies such as the UN - whose daily agenda is dictated by Muslim Countries who do things like vote Iran to be on the Human Rights Commission ... so distracted they are by such idiocy the UN will NOT hold Bangladesh to task for creating conditions that drive hundreds of thousands from the country ... and WHY? Why is not Bangladesh held accountable? -- simple answer - they are a Muslim country ... The Muslim Gaggle of countries working every day to control the UN policies only has time to harass Israel ... not help the plight of a sect of Muslims that nobody wants.

@TomJoad # 197

It is very possible that the West sold Saddam the gas, the racks, and probably even the chains too. It was a win-win deal, we got money for arming him, then we got even more money when we disarmed him, and then we got to wave flags and wear our Hero Hats for a week.

Simplistic speculative blather.

TO all the "Aussie" UK, USA Canada, EU etc.. "Bashers" ....You just don't get it do you..

Australia for example: The Vietnamese "Boat People" are great people that have enriched Australia. So have the 50,000 + Thais that have migrated there. The huge numbers of Chinese, Koreans, Cambodians, Laotian, Burmese Buddhist. The issue is NOT about RACE. Australia is the least racist of any country on earth, xenophobia over race or ethnicity is quite rare in Australia.

What an ambassador for Australia! Another one who doesn't realize you cannot send them back to where they come from when they have been evicted from their own country.

Yes and we know how well Australians have treated their own indigenous people in the past,they were sport and were shot like dogs. I wonder with all your worldly wisdom you could ever reach the level of Tan Le !

170px-TanTTLe.jpgTan Le entered Australia as a refugee in 1982 and was named Young Australian of the Year in 1998.

Tan Le is clearly a Beautiful young lady. She EARNED her award by INTEGRATING into Australian Society. She deserved her award and we need more Vietnamese like her to come and make a life in Australia.

Attempting to punch below the belt by using language such as " in the past, they were sport and were shot like dogs" attempts to argue that Australia and Australians have not evolved from their "colonial" past. Not only have they "evolved" but, they have become the envy of many nations on earth. Australia - per capita - takes more "refugees" than any nation on earth. We have not "reached the level of Tan Le" - she has drawn level with us, by embracing all that is good in Australia. That is why she got the award Mr. "Linzz"

***THE RACE DEBATE FALLS UNDER THE SCIENCE OF ANTHROPOLOGY***

Next we come to Islam, the most perverted belief system one could possibly imagine.

Australia's massive tollerance to "others" is challenged by this single "perversion". It enrages Aussies to have their swimming pools closed, to be "forced" by law into political correctness. Islam has the potential to destroy the Australian way of life. Disliking ISLAM has NOTHING to do with race whatsoever, except in the minds of the brain dead!!.... DO NOT get sucked in, the Islamists WANT it part of the race debate, only a fool would not understand why....

I feel incredible pity for the Rohinya, victims of the perverted belief system called Islam. Women and Children UNEDUCATED - except indoctrination into "utter perversion" called Islam - Blindly following and so complete is the indoctrination system, that bringing this "terrible baggage" with them alienate's them. No western nation wants indoctrinated Islamists. The educated in those societies understand why.

The "long term" answer may lie in "Western Nations" helping Burma (interchangable with Myanmar) by funding solutions within Burma . Australia kicked this off with $6,000,000 just the other day. A transparant (if we can find one) way of sending aid, needs to be brokered. If we are ALL to remain "human" we must lobby and try to find a way to help these wretched human beings.

pmugghc, paully, Toscano and 19 others like this

I think this speaks for itself. Overwhelming majority believe the humanitarian thing to do here is help the poor on the boats with food, water, medicine etc ... give them fuel so they can return safely.

The UK newspaper The Guardian of yesterday wonders (and explains) while U Aung Suu Kyi (Nobel Price for Peace) remains silent.

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2015/may/19/why-is-aung-san-suu-kyi-silent-on-the-plight-of-the-rohingya-people

That would be because like the Thais, the Burmese are on the whole a racist bunch of ummmmm, people and there are no votes to be had standing up for a tiny majority hated by the average person, it would be a bit like a Thai politician leading on assimilating the hill tribe people in the north. Out and out racism and tribal thinking.