Disappearing Farang Teachers in Isaan?

It seems that Thai schools want first class for the lowest possible price? But where is the money going then? You certainly can not upgrade the level of English with low paid teachers. Quality costs money.

The discrimination should stop, why not a Government RULE that ALL teachers are paid the same, so every school can choose the teacher(s) they like most.

So, if a person from Nigeria or Italy is the same or better qualified, well take that person.

UP TO YOU!

When I resigned my former position, they employed two Cameroonians. But neither the students understood them, nor the Thai English teachers. I'd met both at a seminar about 2 years ago and couldn't understand them either. Nor did they get me. facepalm.gif

Then the TCT had a problem with their degrees and many other issues.They ( the school) won't do that mistake again.

There're two job offers at ajarn com, but the Asian teacher who posted it never forwarded the "good resumes" to the superiors. The head of department finally called me four days before school started, if I couldn't help her to find a teacher, which I already did when working there for almost four years.

I posted a thread here with quite a lot details,easy job, money was okay, paid for 12 months, with a free accommodation and couldn't believe that nobody seemed to be interested.

On the other hand I see posts where people work for an agent/ agency, having huge problems. Doesn't make sense to me. sorry. gigglem.gif

It does not say that every teacher from "whatever country they came" is a bad teacher. I know NES teachers who simply can't teach, I know Flippo's who teach very well. I have seen (heard) NES teachers with such a awful accent. Are you from Cameroon or from the UK, perhaps Dutch? It simply doesn't say a thing. It is sad for the students of Thailand, that there only a few Thai teachers who can hear or see the difference.

No problem here in northern Surin province. At the private school where our almost 6year old daughter Amy goes to her last kindergarden year class, they have: one Filippina for kindergarden, one male Brit and new one charming young lady from Miami FL, USA. Amy is the protege of Khun Jenna, the Filippina English teacher, apparently (her words) Amy is the smartest kid around, she translates when necessary from English into Thai for her fellow class mates. Amy is fluent in English, as my wife and I speak practically only English with her. No wonder we're proud of her.

Amy.jpg

Wonderful girl.

I don't think by choice they are recruiting African teachers; there is a massive under-supply of European/North American teachers especially in provincial and rural towns.

Bullshit!!!! I'd teach for free... Oh forgot, compassion might be involved......What a bunch of hooya.....

Get over it.....coffee1.gif

No problem here in northern Surin province. At the private school where our almost 6year old daughter Amy goes to her last kindergarden year class, they have: one Filippina for kindergarden, one male Brit and new one charming young lady from Miami FL, USA. Amy is the protege of Khun Jenna, the Filippina English teacher, apparently (her words) Amy is the smartest kid around, she translates when necessary from English into Thai for her fellow class mates. Amy is fluent in English, as my wife and I speak practically only English with her. No wonder we're proud of her.

Amy.jpg

Wonderful girl.

Thank you. Yes, she's a real blessing. We never have to ask her to do her homework, because this is the first thing she wants to do when she returns from school. She's always busy with books.

She didn't speak one word until she was far over 2½ years old. But once she then started to talk, she didn't stop to amaze us. I often say to my wife: she knows more than you and me combined and I believe I am correct with my assumption. I have tried to somehow analyze her and found the folllowing explanation: she must be a "crystal child" (just google crystal children). I personally treat her like a deity, it works way, way better than being strict with her. That wouldn't work at all. I often find that she can read our thoughts ... amazing child! I wish her a successful life, if I live long enough I will help her to become a specialized medical practitioner.

The Africans will work for half of what most other teachers make. It's a sign of the times ....

12k a month ... lol , I spend that in 3 days on food, drink & leisure. coffee1.gif

Just met an African teacher yesterday. He came to Thailand because of promises of a good salary that did not materialize. He was in a predicament, so he accepted the first position with a salary of 15,000 per month. However, he did not renew his contract because, as he explained to the school, he is supporting a family back home. Now he is at a new school with a better salary, but he is just as frustrated with the lack of interest and motivation among his students as the NE teachers on TV. He said all the students are interested in is Facebook.

Ultimately, it does not matter whether the teacher is a native English speaker or not if the students are not interested in learning English. Generally speaking, Africans place a high value on knowledge and education despite the corruption in their home countries. So if the lack of motivation in LOS is due to the fact that real knowledge and skills are not rewarded here, then it is a bit of a mystery why Africans whose countries are arguably as corrupt if not more so remain so highly motivated to bettering themselves through learning.

It's not only Thailand. When I worked for a South Pacific university a few years ago, UK, Australian and NZ staff stopped applying for positions there as there were too many problems. These included rampant malaria, dengue fever, parasitic worms, house invasion, burglary, muggings and two murders of expatriate staff while I was there.

The university started employing from Nigeria and Ghana. Never were two races so different. The Ghanians got on with everyone, worked hard, were liked by the students.

The Nigerians were up to every trick possible, including scams and blackmail. They also fought amongst themselves, mainly Muslim v. everyone else. They really looked down on the black staff and students. The students had a hard time understanding their English and lodged formal complaints.

Not surprisingly, contracts were not renewed at the end of the 3 years.

you mean white farang teachers are dissapearing ? yes,

and african level fits better to thai education level - 3rd world !!

And africans have no problem to bring any certificate that immigration and GVT wants !

( 20,- $ each )

Smile and bow and agree to everything, at half the cost.

No wonder, really.

Of course Thailand could ask itself, why are we so poor at English that Africans coming from African educational systems are good enough to teach us.

coffee1.gif

Pardon me there jorgenbo, but I must take exception to your mind numbing rant. I too possess some crediatials that would impress and amaze, but I wouldn't offer you a dime if your view on the world is so self-centered and narrow. I am the hiring director at a large school, and I personally verify the documents, histories, experience and backrounds of our new hires right down to twitter and facebook. Our teachers are from all over the world, including those cited by you. My personal experiences with our foreign staff totally refute your gross generalizations. Yes, we may get someone on occasion who requires extra help from our mentors. But overall, you don't have a leg to stand on. Sorry your existence requires validation through the degradation of others you know nothing about. As one of the all of whom you speak, I would gladly present, verify, and prove my documents are legitimate. Have a sad day, seems like you have no choice. Doc

He's got to be a new form of click bait troll.

Haven't seen many recently as now many members spot them and call them out,

easy when they use the "stupid relationship drama" thread starter method.

What a bunch of racist pigs on this site.

Africa is a Continent, so to whom do you refer? Algeria, Egypt, Mozambique, Zimbawe, Sierre Leone, Burkima Faso, or what? Oh, you mean BLACK! And according to you all black people are frauds? My wife is BLACK and probably the most intelligent human being alive today with possible exception of Stephen Hawkins. My wife has IQ near 200, she is a Medical Doctor with genuine documentation and is a recognized medical practitioner in Halifax in Canada. I have met many Africans of various color flavours from dark black/blue chocolate to beige brown mocha here in Roi Et. They speak and act as civilized and worthy teachers. Do not forget that next to French language English language is the standard national language of most African Nations. The people have greater command of the English language than any American or Englishman thanks to a higher educational standard. Being BLACK does not make one stupid contrary to the hill billies of America or the ghettos of industrial Britain.

English language is the international language spoken and taught in schools around the world. Only the UK and USA fail to teach English language spelling and grammer. I recommend that Thai schools enforce teacher literacy tests before employing these WHITE Farang fraudsters. All the white farang who come here to teach routinely make fraudulent claims of education. If they truly had teaching credentials why would they come to Thailand...you say for THB 12,000? What a joke, I have repeatedly been offered more than THB 100,000, but such is beneath my dignity. I offer FREE guest lectures on topics of Philosophy, Logic, Semantics, Political Science. Religion, &tc. I have never taken payment! I am MA, P.hD, DD. I am white but my children are coffee colored sometimes pink.

You refer to Farang as if Farang means white foreigner. This is false. Farang meas "flucking foreigner" black or white.

Remember who you are ...grow up.

I am Farang Non-teacher

Sheykh Ibrahim

Farang = Caucasian

African = Negroid or Negro

African can also actually be used to refer to anything which comes from the continent of Africa, regardless of their race, nationality or even whether they are human or not. Indeed, you may have heard of the "African Elephant", which is a species of Elephant which comes from Africa, there are various other examples, and it'd probably be worthwhile for you to check them out.

Is that easier for you?

I had thought that "African" was the word generally used by foreigners in Thailand (And Thai people when speaking in English), when describing Negro people.

You're very lucky to have been offered positions in Thailand for 100,000 THB or more, I'd say that your must be very intelligent and well qualified in order to be offered that, but your post proves otherwise.

Archived