Quick Thai response praised by Nepalese

webfact

QUAKE
Quick Thai response praised by Nepalese

THE NATION

30260852-01_big.jpg

VICTIMS, GOVT ALSO EXPRESS GRATITUDE TO THEIR MAJESTIES

BANGKOK: -- THAILAND has been praised by quake victims in Nepal, the country's government and international aid organisations, over its quick response and sustainable relief efforts during the recent disaster, the Nepal ambassador to Thailand and the chief of the Thai monastic mission in Nepal told a Bangkok seminar yesterday.

Gratitude from the victims |and the Nepalese government |has also been extended to |Their Majesties the King and Queen for their donations and other assistance from members of the Royal family, said Khaga Nath Adhikari, at yesterday's event titled "For Friends in Nepal".

It was organised by the Thai Journalists Association.

The latest death toll update from Nepal has climbed to 8,636, and includes victims from 70 nationalities.

The number of injured has reached 16,808, said Adhikari.

He said the international media had done its job well in covering the quakes and other stories while quickly sending out information to the world. It resulted in quick assistance and delivery of supplies provided to Nepal.

First arrivals

The monastic chief, Phra Anilman Thammasakiyo, said Thai personnel represented |the greatest number of |first arrivals, either as media members, medical and military personnel, or even monastic representatives - contributing greatly to helping out with the disaster.

He cited a World Health Organisation statement as praising the Thai medical team.

By contrast, the Nepalese media has also raised the issue of corruption among its local politicians.

It reported the monk had told of corruption stories he had learned - such as a high-quality tent donated by China being taken over by politicians in areas where the quake damage was lighter.

Also, he alleged certain types of assistance were not forwarded to those most in need because of cultural restrictions.

He said the Nepalese |government turned down offers of help from certain countries for fear of national security or long-standing rifts. He did not elaborate.

Members of the Thai media who attended the event told personal stories about their hardship in securing Internet bandwidth to contact their offices or to send out footage or stories, among other concerns.

The Thai media donated Bt172,090 to Nepal through the Federation of Nepali Journalists.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/national/Quick-Thai-response-praised-by-Nepalese-30260852.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2015-05-25

"Members of the Thai media who attended the event told personal stories about their hardship in securing Internet bandwidth to contact their offices or to send out footage or stories, among other concerns."

Oh the horror, the pain of it all., how could they be made to suffer so much?

"Members of the Thai media who attended the event told personal stories about their hardship in securing Internet bandwidth to contact their offices or to send out footage or stories, among other concerns."

Spot on!!

More than 8000 deaths, more than 16.000 injured, the infrastructure completely destroyed and the main concern of Thai media is the lack of bandwidth.............

"told personal stories about their hardship" My backside!!bah.gif

It always how the Thai's suffered No internet Geez It is a fricken major earthquake in a third world country IDIOT. Who cares you couldn't get internet Your there to help those in need not to surf the web.

It always how the Thai's suffered No internet Geez It is a fricken major earthquake in a third world country IDIOT. Who cares you couldn't get internet Your there to help those in need not to surf the web.

They are reporters they were not there to help but to report the situation.

The problem was they expected they would be able to use infrastructure in a country devastated by a major earthquake.

Of course what they needed was there own satellite communication equipment. as I'm sure other reporters / news crews carried with them..

Reporting their small problems in a disaster area was poor form.

told personal stories about their hardship in securing Internet bandwidth

As English is most likely NOT the first language of the person who wrote this article, it may be simply an ill-chosen translation. If the writer had substituted the word 'difficulty' as in "told personal stories about their difficulty in securing Internet bandwidth" would your comment be so ugly? The OP clearly stated that continuing coverage of the disaster was responsible for the aid flowing into the country. If they can't report, how will Thai people know there is a need? Do you think it is a piece of cake to work in a disaster zone? At least they weren't complaining about the lack of Thai food or hard beds or lack of clean water. I notice you are very sympathetic to minorities on this forum but are a harsh judge when it comes to Thais. Why do you hate Thai people so much?

Edited by rametindallas

told personal stories about their hardship in securing Internet bandwidth

As English is most likely NOT the first language of the person who wrote this article, it may be simply an ill-chosen translation. If the writer had substituted the word 'difficulty' as in "told personal stories about their difficulty in securing Internet bandwidth" would your comment be so ugly? The OP clearly stated that continuing coverage of the disaster was responsible for the aid flowing into the country. If they can't report, how will Thai people know there is a need? Do you think it is a piece of cake to work in a disaster zone? At least they weren't complaining about the lack of Thai food or hard beds or lack of clean water. I notice you are very sympathetic to minorities on this forum but are a harsh judge when it comes to Thais. Why do you hate Thai people so much?

I think they need to think about those who died, have been injured and lost everything in this disaster rather than bitching about internet access.

My criticism was aimed at journalists in particular, the fact they are Thai is irrelevant.

Why is there more criticism of Thais in the stories i comment on?

Well lets see, could it be the fact that the stories all concern Thailand and any critical posts are going to be aimed at those involved, which inevitably means Thais in the majority of cases.

My criticisms are aimed at those who deserve it [in my view at least, not always fairly I concede}, nationality is not an issue.

I should also point out that Thais are not a minority in their own country.

Edited by Bluespunk

I have been chatting on Facebook with a friend in Nepal all day today.

He told me that the people in his village haven't received any help at all.

They all live in tents and last night many of the tents were destroyed or blown away as the monsoon season is about to start.

He told me that the only people who receive help are the ones who know government officials.

They all live in tents and last night many of the tents were destroyed or blown away as the monsoon season is about to start.

He told me that the only people who receive help are the ones who know government officials.

Living in tents that are blown away, how does your friend have access to face book or even electricity? The articles mentioned the difficulty the Thai journalists had getting INTERNET access.

Living in tents that are blown away, how does your friend have access to face book or even electricity? The articles mentioned the difficulty the Thai journalists had getting INTERNET access.

He lives in a badly damaged house.

Most people live in tents . I have seen photos of him next to destroyed tents and homeless people.

I didn't ask how he managed to use internet. I guess it is mobile only.