Thai PM deploys carrier to act as migrant processing centre

webfact

Filipina maid photographs "modern slavery" in Hong Kong

Source: Thomson Reuters Foundation - Mon, 25 May 2015 22:00 GMT

Author: Thomson Reuters Foundation

By Emma Batha

LONDON, May 26 (Thomson Reuters Foundation) - A Filipina maid in Hong Kong has published stark photographs of burned and beaten domestic workers to highlight the "modern slavery" she says has long been the city's shameful secret. [……]

Many work up to 19-hour days. Some are underpaid or not paid at all. Others are denied food or beaten, she said.

http://www.trust.org/item/20150525220057-pihxn/

As I have written before the problem isn’t a problem that only applies to Thailand but is a global problem and should be addressed on the global stage in the UN. It would show who gives lip services and who is serious about the issue.

Certainly it isn’t right to see and blame Thailand as the only country that is faced with it. It doesn’t take away the shame and blame that has been accumulated until now but at least something is done that hopefully saves lives and people in charge do reconsider their position on the issue.

Yes there are cases all over the world one more horrific than the the other , The difference being which you don't seem to be able to grasp is that Thailand , Malaysia, Myanmar and Indonesian have given it state sponsorship. Police Army , Government Representatives all complicit in one way the other, Go to Europe and tell me ethnic people are "Slaves"

I am very able to grasp the situation and as I have pointed out several times in comments. Yesterday I wrote about the 3000 Vietnamese children that have vanished in the UK, used as slave labourers or sex objects. Do you really believe that 3000 Asian children can go missing in a country like the UK unnoticed by anyone there without the whereabouts if not some officials in some agencies have turned a blind eye or taken a bribe?

Does it make all the people in these agencies culprits up to the government? You on the other hand write that theses actions have been state sponsored. Sponsorship requires a pro-active support, a moral, legal or financial commitment to a cause.

You say that all are complicit; I ask where the evidence is to support that claim?

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't show Thailand in a bad light ! The backbone of so much of official policy and attitude.

The PM may be able to control the local media and keep the story away from most of the public but he can do nothing about the international coverage which, from what I've seen, isn't complimentary.

treating everyone equally? what about the re-education camps? what are they for? what about that parasite that ran away to the temple to become a "monk" even though he had numerous charges against him for terason, inciting and other charges? and he is worried about thailand being shown in a bad light?

Could you please tell us what charges are laid against Suthep? I know he was charged with murder as was Abhisit but I don't know of any treason or incitement charges.

How ever as you brought it up I am sure that you have the links to match your words.

Reuters: May 24, 2015 2:52 PM

Italian couple suspected of skimming off migrant money: prosecutor

ROME (Reuters) - An Italian couple have been arrested on suspicion of running a charity that skimmed off state money intended to help manage rising numbers of migrants, a prosecutor in the southern city of Naples said.

The arrests came months after police said they had uncovered a gang in Rome profiting illegally from public contracts and subsidies for services including running camps for Roma and other migrants.

---------

It looks like that in western countries there is also an element that likes to profit from this kind of business. Only here are the culprits blamed and not the whole country or all people.

You are missing the point!!

In Italia a couple was arrested for skimming off state money intended for the immigrants.

In Thailand the slave traders wear uniform!!

Thailand did not cause this exodus and therefore shouldn't be blamed for it.

I'd say that is an extremely blinkered assessment of what is happening.

No it isn't.

None of the refugees want to in Thailand, they want to go on to Malaysia or Indonesia, both Moslem countries. They come from a supposedly Buddhist country which has been persectuing them for decades and from a Moslem country that does not want them either. Thailand was just a stop on the way.

Why are you blaming Thailand and not Myanmar or Bangladesh which is where they came from or even Malaysia and Indonesia where they want to go to and NONE of those 4 countries want their Moslem "brothers" at all.

Nobody wants 10,000, 20,000, 50,000 or 100,000 and more refugees in their country. Where would they put them, how would they house and feed them, what would they do with them. The logistics and the costs for that will be enormous. If they get offered resettlement somewhere and don't like where they are supposed to go then what do you do with them?

By Emma Batha

LONDON, May 26 (Thomson Reuters Foundation) - A Filipina maid in Hong Kong has published stark photographs of burned and beaten domestic workers to highlight the "modern slavery" she says has long been the city's shameful secret. [……]

Many work up to 19-hour days. Some are underpaid or not paid at all. Others are denied food or beaten, she said.

As I have written before the problem isn’t a problem that only applies to Thailand but is a global problem and should be addressed on the global stage in the UN. It would show who gives lip services and who is serious about the issue.

Certainly it isn’t right to see and blame Thailand as the only country that is faced with it. It doesn’t take away the shame and blame that has been accumulated until now but at least something is done that hopefully saves lives and people in charge do reconsider their position on the issue.

Yes there are cases all over the world one more horrific than the the other , The difference being which you don't seem to be able to grasp is that Thailand , Malaysia, Myanmar and Indonesian have given it state sponsorship. Police Army , Government Representatives all complicit in one way the other, Go to Europe and tell me ethnic people are "Slaves"

I am very able to grasp the situation and as I have pointed out several times in comments. Yesterday I wrote about the 3000 Vietnamese children that have vanished in the UK, used as slave labourers or sex objects. Do you really believe that 3000 Asian children can go missing in a country like the UK unnoticed by anyone there without the whereabouts if not some officials in some agencies have turned a blind eye or taken a bribe?

Does it make all the people in these agencies culprits up to the government? You on the other hand write that theses actions have been state sponsored. Sponsorship requires a pro-active support, a moral, legal or financial commitment to a cause.

You say that all are complicit; I ask where the evidence is to support that claim?

Yes I do believe the authorities were not aware in the UK , perhaps they were aware of a problem but their were not 3000 kids help in a camp under the noses of the army. As I said people send their kids their in hope of better life or pay people to take them.Perhaps if you knew the amount of immigrants and second and third generation ethnics minorities in the UK you would realise how far off the mark that comparison is

Members of the local Government in Songklah and police have already been arrested and "Transferred". The army are ruling the country by decree so they have only detained a few who must have been complicit

This is the reason things will not improve here quickly . People keep reaching for excuses in an attempt for justifying an accusation of victimization, UK did plenty of terrible things during the days of Empire they admitted it, stopped it and improved as a society , being a home for many Commonwealth citizens, Thailand will not move on if they do not accept their responsibilities and improve , simply trying to link such a heinous episode to other countries problems will lead Thailand nowhere

Also I think this country has more "Sex Slaves " than most , kidnapped from Cambodia , Laos and Thai villages in the north

Edited by ExPratt

By Emma Batha

Let me answer with a question.

Do you honestly believe that several refugee-camps on the Thai side of the border, with as many as 800-1000 people in each, would be able to operate "undetected" without green light from the very top?

Sadly, Thailand only reacted, when they were caught with their pants down!!

Turning a blind eye to human traffickers who trick and kidnap people into leaving most certainly plays a part in the exodus. These people aren't sitting in front of a computer reading about the harrowing experience that awaits them. They are being told, "if you pay us money, we'll take you to a place where you are welcome." Don't tell me that the traffickers have not blame in this.

Of course there are some gangsters in Thailand, but they're not representative for the country.

Reuters: May 24, 2015 2:52 PM

Italian couple suspected of skimming off migrant money: prosecutor

ROME (Reuters) - An Italian couple have been arrested on suspicion of running a charity that skimmed off state money intended to help manage rising numbers of migrants, a prosecutor in the southern city of Naples said.

The arrests came months after police said they had uncovered a gang in Rome profiting illegally from public contracts and subsidies for services including running camps for Roma and other migrants.

---------

It looks like that in western countries there is also an element that likes to profit from this kind of business. Only here are the culprits blamed and not the whole country or all people.

You are missing the point!!

In Italia a couple was arrested for skimming off state money intended for the immigrants.

In Thailand the slave traders wear uniform!!

I am sorry but I didn't miss the point - I have read the complete article. Even the part I repeated here speaks of a gang and camps controlled by them filled with migrant people. Is it feasible that nobody in the police turned a blind eye there or an official in immigration or the people that hired these worker?

Ezzra and NKK. ANY up to date pictures of the rust bucket,barnacle laden aircraft carrier?

I'm pretty sure it's actually run out to sea every month but I could be mistaken!

If there are pictures of the carrier they will have been taken by a Thai.

I remember reading a letter in the BP from a foreigner who went with his family to a open day at Sattahip and as soon as he produced his camera to take all the obligatory poses was stopped by naval personnel who said foreigners were not permitted to photograph in military facilities.

In that case how do you and Ezzra know that the carrier is a rust bucket covered in barnacles?
As opposed to your CGI pictures?

Have you ever been at sea, unless that ship has been dry docked in recent months, she will be full of barnacles on her hull.

Also unless she gets kept in pristine condition, salt water rust is quite natural all over the ship, even new ships will rust up pretty quickly.

Firstly. What CGI pictures?

Secondly. So actually no different than most ANY other ship at sea!

Rust is natural.. Rust bucket has different connotations!

By Emma Batha

Let me answer with a question.

Do you honestly believe that several refugee-camps on the Thai side of the border, with as many as 800-1000 people in each, would be able to operate "undetected" without green light from the very top?

Sadly, Thailand only reacted, when they were caught with their pants down!!

Can I use your comment on the UK news side and replace Thai and Thailand with UK and replace the 800 – 1000 with 3000 Vietnamese children?

I don’t wish to break your copyright.

By Emma Batha

Yes I do believe the authorities were not aware in the UK , perhaps they were aware of a problem but their were not 3000 kids help in a camp under the noses of the army. As I said people send their kids their in hope of better life or pay people to take them.Perhaps if you knew the amount of immigrants and second and third generation ethnics minorities in the UK you would realise how far off the mark that comparison is

Members of the local Government in Songklah and police have already been arrested and "Transferred". The army are ruling the country by decree so they have only detained a few who must have been complicit

This is the reason things will not improve here quickly . People keep reaching for excuses in an attempt for justifying an accusation of victimization, UK did plenty of terrible things during the days of Empire they admitted it, stopped it and improved as a society , being a home for many Commonwealth citizens, Thailand will not move on if they do not accept their responsibilities and improve , simply trying to link such a heinous episode to other countries problems will lead Thailand nowhere

Also I think this country has more "Sex Slaves " than most , kidnapped from Cambodia , Laos and Thai villages in the north

Thanks for a reply that is more reasonable and differentiates from the previous comment. I believe too that the UK government isn’t involved in trafficking, but I am also convinced that not all people in the Thai government and the agencies have been aware of the situation that unfolded. There might be a high degree of involvement, but that needs to be investigated and sorted out. Making a statement that generalises and blames everybody I don’t find helpful.

https://depdcblog.wordpress.com/2015/05/25/international-missing-childrens-day-25th-may-2015/

A huge problem in Thailand that hinders the safe return of missing children is lack of reporting. The low numbers of children officially reported to be missing, does not truly reflect the numbers of children who go missing every year, this allows abductors and child traffickers to go under the radar for long enough that they get away with the abduction, greatly reducing the likelihood of children returning home safely. An average of approximately 2 children are reported missing in Thailand every day, and between 300 and 500 every year and unfortunately only approximately 80% of these children who have been reported missing, are found and safely returned home.

Here at DEPDC we do everything in our power to ensure the safety and welfare of our children.

"If anyone is injured or sick, they can be treated at hospitals in Thailand but will face illegal entry charges -- it is up to them to decide

How do you put Thailand in a good light with statements like this one ? The man runs from the truth instead of embracing it. Another opportunity lost as he could have just said "we will aid those in distress at sea, but settlement is out of the question at this time". But no, Instead the Thai money machine gets activated. Pathetic.

That seems like a good solution. Once they have their full compliment they can sail right back up to Rakhine state and drop off the lot of them back were they should be anyway.

Lemme see..... Who was it that brought all those Bangladeshi people into Rakhine state to work in the Tea Plantations and do the local fighting for them? Could it have been some Colonial Power? Noooo....not the British again....Noooo....impossible....!!

Just stop it.

They were there at least five centuries before the Brits had any involvement.

Clean your own windows before you throw mud on others.

Revisionism is wonderful, but factually most of the Rohingya ( a Bangladeshi term started about 1950) came to the Rakhine during the British rule.

"In the early 1950s that a few Bengali Muslim intellectuals of the northwestern part of Arakan began to use the term “Rohingya” to call themselves. They were indeed the direct descendants of immigrants from the Chittagong District of East Bengal (present-day Bangladesh), who had migrated into Arakan after the province was ceded to British India under the terms of the Treaty of Yandabo, an event that concluded the First Anglo-Burmese War (1824-1826)."

/www.soas.ac.uk/sbbr/editions/file64388.pdf

"If anyone is injured or sick, they can be treated at hospitals in Thailand but will face illegal entry charges -- it is up to them to decide

How do you put Thailand in a good light with statements like this one ? The man runs from the truth instead of embracing it. Another opportunity lost as he could have just said "we will aid those in distress at sea, but settlement is out of the question at this time". But no, Instead the Thai money machine gets activated. Pathetic.

Didn't he actually state the truth of the matter? Thailand considers Rohingya to be illegal immigrants not refugees. Hence Prayuth not beating about the bush. He is stating the terms.. Any entry into Thailand that is not through a documented border crossing is illegal.. I wish the UK government did the same!

Thailand isn't blamed for the exodus, just the way they've handled the effects of it.

I'd say that is an extremely blinkered assessment of what is happening.

No it isn't.

None of the refugees want to in Thailand, they want to go on to Malaysia or Indonesia, both Moslem countries. They come from a supposedly Buddhist country which has been persectuing them for decades and from a Moslem country that does not want them either. Thailand was just a stop on the way.

Why are you blaming Thailand and not Myanmar or Bangladesh which is where they came from or even Malaysia and Indonesia where they want to go to and NONE of those 4 countries want their Moslem "brothers" at all.

Nobody wants 10,000, 20,000, 50,000 or 100,000 and more refugees in their country. Where would they put them, how would they house and feed them, what would they do with them. The logistics and the costs for that will be enormous. If they get offered resettlement somewhere and don't like where they are supposed to go then what do you do with them?

Somewhere in the midst of all this hype, frenzy and hysteria, it has been forgotten that Thailand already has many (9?) refugee camps housing 140,000 refugees. Thailand already has made large efforts for refugees.

Also, despite the hype, many of these "refugees" are actually economic migrant from Bangladesh. More than 1/2 of the men on the boats landed in Indonesia are from Bangladesh. According to the Wall Street Journal "Currently, Bangladeshis outnumber Rohingyas on smugglers’ boats."

http://blogs.wsj.com/briefly/2015/05/19/asias-migrant-crisis-5-things-to-know/

Take a hard look at the facts while you are listening to all the hype.

i don't know if i read this correctly but did he say people can be treated in thai hospitals but will be charged with illegal entry,ohhh

You did read it correctly. Apparently, if you are ill you need to choose between dying or receiving hospital care, and then being charged as an illegal.

I wonder if they'll have dual pricing at the hospital as foreigners.

Anyhow, I've got a better idea: Get all the BKK boat owners to go the coast and align their boats so that the propellers can push all responsibility back out to sea.

If I'm allowed a work permit then I might consider a role as an advisor to government for such stellar ideas.

Didn't he actually state the truth of the matter? Thailand considers Rohingya to be illegal immigrants not refugees. Hence Prayuth not beating about the bush. He is stating the terms.. Any entry into Thailand that is not through a documented border crossing is illegal.. I wish the UK government did the same!

Yeah, but for medical attention ? Please! Amongst the hard of posterior and of head, he is their less than nimble minded champion. You are going to save somebodies life then give them a fine or a court date for illegal entry. Again, he is talking about good light. Nothing wrong with helping them and sending them on their way. That is reasonable.

Turning a blind eye to human traffickers who trick and kidnap people into leaving most certainly plays a part in the exodus. These people aren't sitting in front of a computer reading about the harrowing experience that awaits them. They are being told, "if you pay us money, we'll take you to a place where you are welcome." Don't tell me that the traffickers have not blame in this.

Of course there are some gangsters in Thailand, but they're not representative for the country.

When they are representing an official office they sure are.

Ezzra and NKK. ANY up to date pictures of the rust bucket,barnacle laden aircraft carrier?

I'm pretty sure it's actually run out to sea every month but I could be mistaken!

If there are pictures of the carrier they will have been taken by a Thai.

I remember reading a letter in the BP from a foreigner who went with his family to a open day at Sattahip and as soon as he produced his camera to take all the obligatory poses was stopped by naval personnel who said foreigners were not permitted to photograph in military facilities.

In that case how do you and Ezzra know that the carrier is a rust bucket covered in barnacles?
As opposed to your CGI pictures?

Have you ever been at sea, unless that ship has been dry docked in recent months, she will be full of barnacles on her hull.

Also unless she gets kept in pristine condition, salt water rust is quite natural all over the ship, even new ships will rust up pretty quickly.

Firstly. What CGI pictures?

Secondly. So actually no different than most ANY other ship at sea!

Rust is natural.. Rust bucket has different connotations!

Apologies, the picture of the 2 Blackhawks looks like it's CGI, I've now got a better connection so can see better pictures, not a bad looking ship to be fair.

I've been on vessels under 10 years old and they were neglected, and vice versa 20 years plus. Considering this ship was only launched 4 years ago, I'd be hoping she hadn't become a rust bucket!!

it is interesting, and also sad, that the victims of smugglers continue to be labelled "migrants" which, rhetorically, allows an inhumane reaction to people being exploited, abused, and murdered to be some how justifiable.

It is not justifiable. It is not humane. These people should be taken in by any and every country immediately. Get them into safety and get them the help they need. Don't threaten these victims with prosecution - what a callous and idiotic thing to do!

it is interesting, and also sad, that the victims of smugglers continue to be labelled "migrants" which, rhetorically, allows an inhumane reaction to people being exploited, abused, and murdered to be some how justifiable.

It is not justifiable. It is not humane. These people should be taken in by any and every country immediately. Get them into safety and get them the help they need. Don't threaten these victims with prosecution - what a callous and idiotic thing to do!

So where do you stop Mr Bleeding Heart? Should the wealthy countries accept every person who thinks life will be better there? Every one of them will have a sob story to tell, and as we have found in Oz quite often it's nothing but BS. The latest is ex-muslims converted to christianity - should we send them home to be murdered or accept every muslim who thinks a temporary change of faith is worth it (and acceptable under their religion)?

Once you open the gate, it is very difficult to shut it again. If the EU had refused to accept economic immigrants from Africa, would there be thousands dying in the Med this year? Why are we wasting billions in foreign aid when they are heading here to cost us a fortune?