Three killed, 24 injured in bus crash in Lampang

webfact

How lucky was the scooter rider and rear passenger who rode on towards cctv right of shote oblivious to the carnage erupting behind him, the people van does a full 360o just missing taking them out and scooter dude pulls over and probably said to his mate on back I have just shat my pants som chai

Scary stuff again in LOS

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

BRAKES DO NOT LOSE or fail, If they do they come on Not off, slowing the vehicle, how many times must some one tell these idiots, it called Brake fade, caused by using the breaks to much , ie going down hill to fast, making the brakes hot , Its Bad driving practice, And Just bad driving .

Edited by Thongkorn

Another lesson after watching that video why we should all be using The fabulous Train service.It is a fraction of the cost of taking a bus and risking your life being on a road here in Thailand.The trains are just a bit slower but nobody is in a rush to go anywhere really.If you want to continue to risk your lives being on a Thai Road then perhaps you should watch the video again and again.

I only travel by train.

( kind respects )

C.S wai2.gif

Try travelling by train from Udon to Chiang Mai....you can't.

I admire anyone who trusts their life to bus travel in Thailand. It may be cheap but often comes at a price.

You can travel from Udon to Chiang Mai but it will take a long time and you need to change trains but who cares its still more enjoyable and a hell of a lot safer!!! x

Here is what you can get with GPS tracking. And the government could make it mandatory in a minute. The government could monitor all buses and stream the data to the bus companies.

"

Basic features
  • All-included real time GPS tracking solution
  • GPRS communications
  • GPS positioning
  • Ignition status report
  • No software needed, web based solution
  • Multilanguage support
  • Microsoft Bing maps or Google Maps
  • Exports to Google Earth
  • Exports to Excel
  • Graph and table views of ignition, speed and sensor data
  • Automatic reports delivered by email
  • Automatic alarms delivered by email
Optional features
  • Integrated navigation with two-way messaging
  • SMS messaging for mobile phones
  • Cost management
  • Smartphone interface for fleet managers
  • Door open sensor and temperature sensor
  • Automatic RFID driver identification
  • Anti-theft vehicle remote immobilization
  • Alarms delivered by SMS
  • Integration with CANBus for control of fuel consumption, fuel level, tachograph states, engine temperature, engine revs and others
  • Generic digital and analog inputs
  • Webservice integration with other applications

"

Since brake failure on tourist buses is getting to be a frequent problem, why not install a flashing dome light atop the cab above the driver. When the driver realises the brakes have failed, he quickly flips the switch and hopefully drivers are forewarned.

Isn't that treating the "symptoms" and NOT the "cause"? whistling.gif

Here is what you can get with GPS tracking. And the government could make it mandatory in a minute. The government could monitor all buses and stream the data to the bus companies.

"

Basic features
  • GPRS communications
  • GPS positioning
  • Ignition status report
  • Multilanguage support
  • Exports to Excel
Optional features
  • Cost management
  • Integration with CANBus for control of fuel consumption, fuel level, tachograph states, engine temperature, engine revs and others

"

Wow! Spoken like a techie.

What about FIRSTLY upgrading (and maintaining) the mechanical standards of the vehicles and more rigorous training of drivers, perhaps including regular testing. Followed up by realistic law enforcement and penalties which may ALSO APPLY to the bus owner/s in the event of an accident?

How many more citizens and tourists need to be killed before anyone in authority gets off their butt and does something? coffee1.gif

By the look of the footage the driver can be named as Nigel Mansel, he was clearly speeding dangerously.

These coaches have other ways of slowing such as lower gear selection and the use of the exhausts brake, the power of the engine will slow the coach to under ten miles per hour where collision may not be avoidable but some control maybe possible.

RIP to the lost soul and prayers for the recovery of the injured.

Of course he was going fast......he had no brakes!!! At least he tried to warn everyone and get them to the safest part of the bus while still staying in his driving seat. Give him a little credit.

And you have who's word that this actually took place...

besides he would only have realised that his brakes failed(if this is true) when he came to apply them... which would have been too late to warn anyone of anything worthwhile, let alone get to a place of safety within the bus!!

Of course driving like an idiot (speeding)wouldn't have anything to do with it, would it?

You are implying that Thais can not drive. I know Thais that can

Albeit crazily and with disregard for laws or safety.

They have laws for driving????

Since brake failure on tourist buses is getting to be a frequent problem, why not install a flashing dome light atop the cab above the driver. When the driver realises the brakes have failed, he quickly flips the switch and hopefully drivers are forewarned.

Isn't that treating the "symptoms" and NOT the "cause"? whistling.gif

A deadmans handle?

The really sad thing is, that within the next month, we will have a similar headline!!

You can be as careful, as you possibly can, when driving, but with the road full of idiots, it really is no guarantee for a safe drive!!

it's like you are a very good at swimming but you swim in poisoned water here

Can we have the name of this bus company so we can avod dealing with them in the future ? I took an aircon VIP bus from Pattaya to CM once overnight, very comfortable and a good driver.

How about ALL of them?!?

sad.png

My prayers are with the dead and injured, and their families and friends. I wish them a swift recovery from injuries, and pray they have caring friends supporting them at this tragic time.

When I see cigarettes being put through the increased regulations / media concerns yet again, I am always thinking about things like MOTs etc. Surely having strict MOT regulations enacted and enforced, would be more important than cig-packaging. Cigs are self-harm, you are choosing to do it. If you are on the roads and get harmed by another driver's faulty vehicle, it is not you causing the harm. You are being harmed against your will, by failure of adequate regulations.

I don't drive, because I am severely epileptic. But I take a lot of taxis, and we are on the road and lorries are passing us with bits falling off the lorries, important-looking pieces of machinery just dangling from the underside, and while I don't pray for myself ever, I do understand why there are all the religious good-luck effigies in taxis.

Some of the vehicles I see going on the roads, don't look like they would even manage to arrive in one piece at an MOT, let alone pass one. This is more important for any government to focus on, than things like cig-packaging etc.

According to the news this was a Chakkraphong bus. If I'm not mistaken there is only one company doing this route.

My friend did it last month and the bus broke down about half way. I will have to ask him what the problem was with the bus!

According to the news this was a Chakkraphong bus. If I'm not mistaken there is only one company doing this route.

My friend did it last month and the bus broke down about half way. I will have to ask him what the problem was with the bus!

Probably not the brakes. Failed brakes never stops them.

Given the fact that no cars or motorbikes are ever checked for roadworthiness, functioning brakes, lights, etc. except the superficial pat down when a vehicle is sold and bought, it is an absolute miracle that there aren't several thousand road deaths per day in Thailand. I also believe a lot of drivers are half blind and actually would need glasses or contacts, bit eyesight is check - if - then only when a driving license is made or renewed. A million factors make up this explosive road mayhem cocktail of Thailand... where to start???

well my car now 6 years old has to get a gov. Check every year to get insured!

and that's in Mukdahan

Given the fact that no cars or motorbikes are ever checked for roadworthiness, functioning brakes, lights, etc. except the superficial pat down when a vehicle is sold and bought, it is an absolute miracle that there aren't several thousand road deaths per day in Thailand. I also believe a lot of drivers are half blind and actually would need glasses or contacts, bit eyesight is check - if - then only when a driving license is made or renewed. A million factors make up this explosive road mayhem cocktail of Thailand... where to start???

and that's in Mukdahan

So it may but what about folk who don't buy insurance,just last year the GFs uncle was involved in an accident after nodding off at the wheel due to working all night.

In short he killed another motorist,had no insurance nothing,the family of the deceased requested 750,000 baht of which he managed to pay 300,000,when he stopped payments and told them that was all he could afford they the police carted him of to prison for a year,I'm led to believe he was actually relieved due to the hassle that acquiring that sort of money was causing all his family.

Moral of the story, life is cheap here,just because you and me and most people follow the rule of the law doesn't mean to say everyone does.

and that's in Mukdahan

How many fail? Go to the private testers - will they turn down business by failing a car?

Of course driving like an idiot (speeding)wouldn't have anything to do with it, would it?

You are implying that Thais can not drive. I know Thais that can

Did I say Thai's can't drive ' seems I was referring to the driver of the bus that from the video posted was driving like an idiot.

another "lets blame the brakes again" story rather then driving at an inappropriate speed or else sleepy

Where do you have this information from.?

From the same source what the statement "brake failure" came from.

My gf's sister/cousin was on that bus, she has very bad head injuries....she is having brain surgery, hope she pulls through.

RIP to the unfortunate ones.

I hope she will be OK.

Thanks for that, sorry for the delay in answering...she's still in ICU, only little signs of recovery so far, cannot speak, or open her eyes. Her name is Sarinee Promdee, aged 20

i have been driving in Thailand for 15 painful years.

Driving with a margin of safety in case an unexpected event happens is an alien concept to Thai drivers. They drive like retards.

When an accident happens, they will blame everything but themselves: the rain, the brakes, the other driver, their bad luck, etc... it is NEVER their fault.

And ironicaly, they think they are good!

Edited by Peterbkk7

My gf's sister/cousin was on that bus, she has very bad head injuries....she is having brain surgery, hope she pulls through.

RIP to the unfortunate ones.

Mate, my prayers are with her and hope she is going to be all right.

Thank you my friend, things are not too good at the moment, but she's hanging in there...

"

Basic features

• GPRS communications
  • GPS positioning
  • Ignition status report
  • Multilanguage support
  • Exports to Excel

Optional features

• Cost management
"
all that would be a good idea but I think it would cost more than some of the busses are worth.