Where do i register my new thai sim card?

Hi, i'm coming to thailand soon, and i will buy a new thai sim card at the airport.

I intend to stay in thailand permanently.

Should i buy a tourist sim card or some other sim card?

Also do i need to register a tourist sim card as well?

Also where do i register my new thai sim card? Can i do it in the bangkok airport? Or should i do it somewhere else?

Edited by tomtom345

You can do it all at the airport, All 3 major providers have kiosks in the arrivals hall. The only difficulty you might face it that the kiosks, especially TRUE and AIS are usually very busy and you wont have much opportunity to discuss various promotional options to determine which will be best for you. You should probably just buy one of the "Tourist" one month packages they offer, then when you get a chance, go to one of their mall locations and select your best service plan in a more relaxed setting. You will be able to keep the same number.

You will have to decide which provider to use. If you already have a smartphone capable of 4G, then TRUE is the only provider with an extensive 4G network throughout Thailand at this time.

If you plan to travel, especially in rural areas, then AIS (1-2 Call) has the best nationwide voice coverage. DTAC seems to run 3rd in both categories.

Well AIS hasn't got 4G only 3g so how can DTAC who have got 4g and 3g run third!

Also for a foreigner DTAC are probably the easiest to deal with especially if you get a post paid account.

For the record I have Dtac and True. Dtac are certainly easier to deal with than True.. But True are getting better.

Edited by casualbiker

D-Tac is very weak in rural areas according to Thai acquaintances and their tribulations rolling out 4G (Tri-Net) have been well documented on this forum...Also on this forum, some recent horror stories about dealing with their customer service. Check the airport kiosks sometime: long lines at TRUE and AIS, ...D-Tac rep. doing her nails.

Just a few weeks ago, the Scandinavian parent company of D-Tac reportedly cleaned house in Thailand so we can wait and see.

Fair enough. I don't often go to truly rural areas.. Not much point! And yes the tri-net such a good idea let down by I don't know probably thainess and mai pen rai. My area seems to be finally sorted.. New phone has 3g only setting forcing trinet to search and keep it on 3g rather than E. Have 4g as well in places!

You have got until 31st of July to register.

So no need to queue at the airport.

I recommend you go to regular customer service center of the provider you selected.

I use AIS eversince for many years.

Once tried additional True and DTAC SIMs for internet (before I had a line).

Both with worse signal,

But as you write, you not intend to go upcountry/to the sticks, so not comparable.

4G exists in experimental state only.

The official auction has still not taken place.

The usual squabbling.

Edited by KhunBENQ