Lime scale remover/ cleanser

Beachbunny

When searching for BARKEEPERS FRIEND in Thailand, I saw an old post on Thai visa, so I posted an update in the general forum and all I got for my trouble was 3 ignorant comments. If you are interested in getting rid of hard water scale and a multitude of other stains, then maybe this information is for you.

I ran across a distributor in Malyasia and tried contacting them twice withou any replies. That's when I contacted the international rep at BKF. He told me he is working with a distributor in Thailand to get BKF in Thailand. The last email I got from the distributor here in Thailand, is that all paperwork is now at the last stage of approval...so hopefully soon we will be able to purchase BKF in Thailand.

Lots of videos on Youtube...now the videos all seem to have commercials before the actual video.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=pJnaLmR7oyg

Beachbunny

There are many many scale removers I found out... They come in Pink and Deep Blue plastic bottles. The labels are often 99.99% Thai language except for a small print area - Hydrochloric acid 9%, 10% or even 10%...

They all work great - but look up how to handle hydrochloric acid . caution.

I'd like some BKF too. I use it to remove the metal particles that embed themselves in ceramic honing rods. BKF works much better than ordinary scouring powder, and when combined with a 'greenie' scrub pad, turns a glazed rod back into a fresh cutting surface.

There are many many scale removers I found out... They come in Pink and Deep Blue plastic bottles. The labels are often 99.99% Thai language except for a small print area - Hydrochloric acid 9%, 10% or even 10%...

They all work great - but look up how to handle hydrochloric acid . caution.

yes... there are plenty of no-name products working great. who needs a brand product?

In the Philippines they had virtually a whole row of shelves dedicated to drain cleaning and descaling products. It seemed that sulfanic acid was used as a daily cleanser more so than products that were `softer`on the hands.

And it was good stuff, very powerful but the gas it gave off would make you cough...... had to be very careful using it.

Sorry GUYS but those grocery store brands don"t cut it....they DO NOT remove hard water buildup...especially if you get your water from wells. BARKEEPERS Friend has Oxalic Acid...that is the key ingredient to remove the buildup easily without damage.

You may be able to find pure Oxalic Acid...but then you have to research how to use it as I believe you can not use it without some kind of dilution. ?

Hydrochloride acid, vinegar, and any other acid you can think of, I have tried and it will not...repeat will not remove hard water limescale build up....EVEN LIMEADE-AWAY will not remove it! ☺️

If its on a glazed surface such as a toilet bowl use a pummice stone, all limescale will be cleared with a few minutes of elbow grease!

Hydrochloride acid, vinegar, and any other acid you can think of, I have tried and it will not...repeat will not remove hard water limescale build up....EVEN LIMEADE-AWAY will not remove it! ☺️

Vinegar not ... but hydrochloric acid in a useful concentration will remove any limestone! If hydrochloric acid didn't work, then it is either too thinned out, or it wasn't hydrochloric acid (HCl) , or it's not limestone you are trying to clear!

I use some no-name cleaner which states 15% HCl content and it will blast away any limestone. I then have to be quick to avoid removal of grout :-/

Oxalic acid should not hurt your septic as far as I know. As for the pumice stone good luck with that. I ordered a bunch from the states and have used them MAKING sure to keep things wet...and you STILL can NOT get it ALL the scale off especially without scratching the porcelain. Anyone else want a go. believe me in 12 years I have tried EVERYTHING!!!!!!

If grocery store brands are working for you....including for rust....then you DO NOT have much of a problem!...and probably on city water. Grocery store brands won't even take the water spots off the bottom of my stainless sink.....the rest I am fanatic about drying everytime the water is turned on. If they work for you fine....but don!t tell me what I have isn't from limescale buildup from calcium carbonate in the water....it's been tested!

P.S. On the vinegar...won't work especially the percentages they sell here....but lime away and vinegar never worked for me in San Diego either....and my problem wasn't nearly as bad.

BTW....I posted this here for people who know the product I'm talking about and that it will be available soon...not to get instructions on how to clean!

15% removes the grout if you need to retile, but doesn't touch the limescale! NOT in my house......by the way I posted on the Chiang Mai forum because that's where the original conversation was 2 years ago... I live in Sattahip....we had a shallow well, and then dug a deep water well hoping for better softer water......and got the same results!

Vinegar not ... but hydrochloric acid in a useful concentration will remove any limestone! If hydrochloric acid didn't work, then it is either too thinned out, or it wasn't hydrochloric acid (HCl) , or it's not limestone you are trying to clear!

I use some no-name cleaner which states 15% HCl content and it will blast away any limestone. I then have to be quick to avoid removal of grout :-/

Oxalic acid can be found in Rhubarb, spinach and other plants and vegetables.

Fascinating dialogue but does anyone know what all these acids etc do to the septic tank? There is no way that I will damage the ecosystem in my tank.

Oxalic acid should not hurt your septic as far as I know. As for the pumice stone good luck with that. I ordered a bunch from the states and have used them MAKING sure to keep things wet...and you STILL can NOT get it ALL the scale off especially without scratching the porcelain. Anyone else want a go. believe me in 12 years I have tried EVERYTHING!!!!!!

If grocery store brands are working for you....including for rust....then you DO NOT have much of a problem!...and probably on city water. Grocery store brands won't even take the water spots off the bottom of my stainless sink.....the rest I am fanatic about drying everytime the water is turned on. If they work for you fine....but don!t tell me what I have isn't from limescale buildup from calcium carbonate in the water....it's been tested!

P.S. On the vinegar...won't work especially the percentages they sell here....but lime away and vinegar never worked for me in San Diego either....and my problem wasn't nearly as bad.

BTW....I posted this here for people who know the product I'm talking about and that it will be available soon...not to get instructions on how to clean!

What can I say, after 20 odd years of using a pummice stone it has removed all the limescale I have used it on and it has never scratched the glaze!

What can I say, after 20 odd years of using a pummice stone it has removed all the limescale I have used it on and it has never scratched the glaze!

How about on glass or fixtures, does it scratch them? Do you use it with water or something else? Thanks Dboy, you are D'man.

Hydrochloric acid is a big NO NO to clean a shower.

Apart from the toxic gases it produces it will also damage you metal shower fixtures. Put a drop of HCI on any metal or stainless steel fixture, and wash it of straight away. The next day the fixture will be black.