Help Needed!

zeusugar

Hi all,

I will be going to Bangkok next month and i am thinking of buying or custom making of evening gown.

Any suggestions as to where i can buy nice,classy gowns or reputable tailor to custom make one?I will only be there for 4 days though. :D

There are thousands of tailors shops all over Bangkok. All are able to work from the pattern books that they have or a picture you take in. Whether or not it is classy will depend on your taste! :o

I have used Marty's - on sukumwit near Nana BTS. They have a website (with some mental music) google them.

Hi all,

I will be going to Bangkok next month and i am thinking of buying or custom making of evening gown.

Any suggestions as to where i can buy nice,classy gowns or reputable tailor to custom make one?I will only be there for 4 days though. :D

There are thousands of tailors shops all over Bangkok. All are able to work from the pattern books that they have or a picture you take in. Whether or not it is classy will depend on your taste! :o

I have used Marty's - on sukumwit near Nana BTS. They have a website (with some mental music) google them.

Hi leisurely,

You said you have used Marty's before, can I know how good is their workmanship and will they be able to finish making my dress in 4 days time? And how is their charges like?

Do you think they will be able to make dresses like these?

Your help is much appreciated! :D

post-34472-1158113158_thumb.jpg

post-34472-1158113200_thumb.jpg

post-34472-1158113269_thumb.jpg

post-34472-1158113331_thumb.jpg

post-34472-1158113381_thumb.jpg

Of course they will be able to make dresses like those. One thing to beware of though, the woman who works in the shop will try to get you to order more than you want. She is a bloody good saleswoman too. :o

The workmanship is good, ask to see other stuff they are making just to reassure yourself. As to the cost, can't help you with that I am afraid.

Good luck.

i was reading through and realised that ure going to be visiting marty's to see if they can make the dress..im travel to bkk frequently and have been using the services of "Crown Tailor" on sukhumvit soi 8, which is about a few minutes walk away from marty's (i know cuz i tried all the tailor shops along those sois hehe)..so u could give them a try too..their workmanship for my sister's dress was fantastic, so im sure they could get yours done too..u cud check it out

.....I will only be there for 4 days though. :o

With the greatest of respect, how do you think you will get quality workmanship in four days?

My wife's work here is done pretty efficiently and with excellent quality, but the time required is measured in weeks, not days. If you have four days, you will get the four-day, tourist-type work which seamstresses deliver to people who can't tell the diffference. It will be inferior work, you will be unhappy, and then you will badmouth Thai workmanship.

You do seem to know the difference and expect good quality work. Save yourself a lot of irritation. Don't look for quality work here in four days. It simply isn't possible.

Edited by OldAsiaHand

With the greatest of respect, how do you think you will get quality workmanship in four days?

My wife's work here is done pretty efficiently and with excellent quality, but the time required is measured in weeks, not days. If you have four days, you will get the four-day, tourist-type work which seamstresses deliver to people who can't tell the diffference. It will be inferior work, you will be unhappy, and then you will badmouth Thai workmanship.

You do seem to know the difference and expect good quality work. Save yourself a lot of irritation. Don't look for quality work here in four days. It simply isn't possible.

Another quality post from OldHandLuke ....

The key is find a reputable shop ... and insist on at least 3 fittings .... yes it can be tough in only 4 days but it is do-able. The issues will be time and on-hand selection of fabrics!

Of course they will be able to make dresses like those. One thing to beware of though, the woman who works in the shop will try to get you to order more than you want. She is a bloody good saleswoman too. :o

The workmanship is good, ask to see other stuff they are making just to reassure yourself. As to the cost, can't help you with that I am afraid.

Good luck.

Thanks leisurely for your help! Will go down and take a look when I am there and thanks for the advice too! :D

Hi OldAsiaHand,

I respect what you said and thanks for ur advice. :D I would really love to stay longer but time doesnt permit me to.

It's on the website... evening dresses range from 1200 to 2000 baht, depending on the amount of embroidery etc.

By the way... the more you buy, the more discount you can get.

:o

a 2000 baht evening dress? Boy i hope hollywood doesn't find out. half of paris and milan will be out of work.