British tourist reportedly raped in Kanchanaburi

Thaivisa News

Like, one in a million? Yeah, small. And most of them were doing something stupid, like stumbling around drunk alone in a strange city in the middle of the night.

Or more likely riding a rented motorbike drunk with no helmet.

• Replies 439
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Like, one in a million? Yeah, small. And most of them were doing something stupid, like stumbling around drunk alone in a strange city in the middle of the night.

ROFL. You know, where I'm from (largish US city), I don't recall EVER hearing of somebody having their purse or gold baht chain snatched by punk teens on a motobike, OR anyone being assaulted by a ladyboy, OR even cops piss-testing passersby (even yanking them out of cabs) on a public street for extortion money (etc., etc., etc ...) And I'm personally convinced that the majority of such crimes here go unreported. Throw around hyperbole like "one in a million" since you seem addicted to doing so, but it's laughable to even suggest that the magnitude of foreigners who suffer some "bad experience" or other, major, minor or somewhere in between, isn't far far higher, and that the phrase doesnt ACTUALLY apply to the number of tourists "stumbling around drunk in the middle of the night" instead (though I expect YOUR definition of same applies to just about anyone who's had a beer in the last 3 weeks). Time for a reality check there - it's a heavily advertised vacation destination! People don't come here for temperance lectures from self-righteous expats who'd just like to see all merry-makers stay home.

Google tourists murdered in Florida.

Tourist destinations in every country require caution. Thailand is no exception and is no worse than Rio de Janeiro, Miami., Dominican Republic, Jamaica etc.

Oh, changing the tune now are we, from "bad experience" to "rape and murder", expecting to be able to get away with comparing the former in one place with the latter in another. It was the "bad experiences" here which you foolishly claimed at one in a million, not rapes & murders. Nice try, but got ya'! Game over Player One. Head buried in the sand like that, how DO you keep the stuff out of your eyes? Once the blindness becomes permanent, 'guess it doesn't matter any more, eh? And so that's the thing with the insect noises..

ROFL. You know, where I'm from (largish US city), I don't recall EVER hearing of somebody having their purse or gold baht chain snatched by punk teens on a motobike, OR anyone being assaulted by a ladyboy, OR even cops piss-testing passersby (even yanking them out of cabs) on a public street for extortion money (etc., etc., etc ...) And I'm personally convinced that the majority of such crimes here go unreported. Throw around hyperbole like "one in a million" since you seem addicted to doing so, but it's laughable to even suggest that the magnitude of foreigners who suffer some "bad experience" or other, major, minor or somewhere in between, isn't far far higher, and that the phrase doesnt ACTUALLY apply to the number of tourists "stumbling around drunk in the middle of the night" instead (though I expect YOUR definition of same applies to just about anyone who's had a beer in the last 3 weeks). Time for a reality check there - it's a heavily advertised vacation destination! People don't come here for temperance lectures from self-righteous expats who'd just like to see all merry-makers stay home.

You're from a large US city and have never heard of crime? I'm imagining where your head is.

How would an American have a gold baht chain snatched? There aren't any. And punks don't ride scooters in the States. Why would you expect ladyboy criminals in the US? Of course you don't hear about those things. What you hear about are gang drive by shootings, people being accosted for their Nikes, drug deals gone bad, extortion, school and movie theatre shootings and a myriad of other crimes.

The cops don't piss test in the US they just murder innocent people.

You have a brush with black paint on it and that's how you always paint Thailand in your posts.

I thought we were talking about crime...pretty serious crime.

I thought we were talking about crime...pretty serious crime.

Which is a drop in the bucket as to why foreigners die here.

violent crime in Thailand happens, but not anywhere near the number one problem for deaths of tourists here. We hear about every murder, rape, etc, but we don't hear the daily death report from motorbikes, drugs, and drunken mishaps. I'm not saying violent crime isn't an issue but I think it's one blown out of proportion on TVF.

You're from a large US city and have never heard of crime? I'm imagining where your head is.

How would an American have a gold baht chain snatched? There aren't any. And punks don't ride scooters in the States. Why would you expect ladyboy criminals in the US? Of course you don't hear about those things. What you hear about are gang drive by shootings, people being accosted for their Nikes, drug deals gone bad, extortion, school and movie theatre shootings and a myriad of other crimes.

You have a brush with black paint on it and that's how you always paint Thailand in your posts.

Yeap, and I'd say your imagination's working overtime. I never said, never, not once, that I or the place I come from "have never heard of crime". If you can't respond to someone's point, then just start making stuff up, right? But thanks for agreeing with me about the various crimes I did refer to.

Baby steps...

Cops in the US just murdering people... ROFLMAO. The stuff on your brush normally comes from cleaning out livestock pens..

Edited by hawker9000

Yeap, and I'd say your imagination's working overtime. I never said, never, not once, that I or the place I come from "have never heard of crime". If you can't respond to someone's point, then just start making stuff up, right? But thanks for agreeing with me about the various crimes I did refer to.

Baby steps...

Cops in the US just murdering people... ROFLMAO. The stuff on your brush normally comes from cleaning out livestock pens..

the tone of what you posted was that any mid sized city in The US doesn't have nearly the crime Thailand does and that it is far more dangerous here.

I agree that there is crime here, but I'll stop far short that it's worse here than the States, which you are saying , as you said " I don't recall ever hearing about" then crimes specific to Thailand.

And if you don't think cops are killing innocent citizens, you've got your head up your nether regions.

Rape statistics for 2007, source Wikipedia.

Reported rapes per 100,000 of population.

USA: 29.8

Scotland: 17.0

Thailand: 6.8

Suggests she twice as safe here than being at home in Scotland?

You unwittingly answered your own question:

REPORTED rapes......

The incidence of reported rapes is closely linked to the status of women in that country. Finding information comparing the status of women in the US or Scotland vs. Thailand will be just as easy for you as calling up the statistics you quoted above.

• 1 month later...

fishbrando and Bluespunk, you are both saying the same thing...don't blame the victim but precautions should be taken. Simple. finished.

Stop already.I agree with you both. You are both right so put down the Chang and enjoy the rest of the first day of a long weekend.

Cheers guys.

You're wrong in claiming that we're saying the same thing. People like Bluespunk use the phrase "victim blaming" as shaming language to silence those who urge people to take precautions to protect themselves. This only generates more victims in the future. Personally, I'd rather err on the side of victim blaming rather than generate even more innocent victims who are not taught to protect themselves.

You're right in that further argument is fruitless. Bluespunk basically said that there's nothing that will change his position. "I'm not changing my view or the trust I have in the positions I hold or the links I posted to support them." I was trying to get him to back up his argument with logic or studies (besides his unsubstantial links) but it was in vain as he doesn't seem to know how to address a point specifically or what constitutes evidence.