Expats warned about people posing as Tourist Police in Hua Hin and neighbouring provinces

Lite Beer

Expats warned about people posing as Tourist Police in Hua Hin and neighbouring provinces

HUA HIN:-- Security staff at a housing development in Hua Hin are warning residents to be on the look out for individuals posing as Tourist Police officers.

Throughout the months of May and June, there have been several instances of people who claim to be officers from the Tourist Police visiting the homes of foreign nationals in Hua Hin and the surrounding area demanding to see a variety of personal documents such as passports and tabian baans.

However, at this stage there is absolutely nothing to suggest that these individuals are officers from the Tourist Police or are carrying out legitimate police business.

This week, some residents in Hua Hin were sent the following notice:

Dear Homeowners,
We have heard of instances where “Police” are visiting homes and asking for information such as Passports, Tabian Baan, who lives in the house and more importantly WHEN people are there.
Please do not talk to these people and tell them that you will happily meet them at the police station with their superior officer with the information they are asking for, if they can give you a day and time.
They usually will then leave.
We are again informing all the guards including external company guards to prevent these people from entering the developments.

Last month, a report was made in Thaivisa’s Hua Hin forum about people in an unmarked car posing as Tourist Police in a soi popular with expats. They then went onto to request that all foreigners write down their full contact details including name, address, passport number, as well as providing information on their occupation and whether or not they owned a motor vehicle.

The ‘police’ also took photographs of the foreigners and requested they drew maps detailing the location of the property in which they were living.

When asked why the individuals wanted such information, the answers were unclear, other than mentioning some kind of registration for foreign nationals.

Thaivisa is currently working to get clarification on this situation from the Tourist Police office in Hua Hin.

tvn.png
-- 2015-06-13

I had the same last month, but it was an official police officer that came, in an official police pick-up. I answered all questions but as I did not have a copy of my passport, so he said that I could drop it into the local police station the following day, which I did and it was accepted by the officer there. He pointed to an official photo on the wall and asked me if this was the officer that came. I confirmed that it was, he thanked me and I left. I am "assuming" that it was all legit???

I remember reading when it was originally posted on here and it sounded dodgy then.

My Mrs told me that they came down our soi last week and seemed to be going door to door checking for something.

I was actually out at immigration doing my 90 days at the time but my Mrs said that there were 4 people, some in uniform and some not. Notably they were in an unmarked car.

The lesson here is never give your passport or any personal details to anyone you're unsure about and never hand anything over to anyone who just turns up on your doorstep asking for such information, regardless of who they say might be.

Do as it says in the article and go down to the police station yourself if you want to be on the safe side.

It only gets better here really ! What else will pop up out of the bag to frame falangs?? I bet theres many more where this came from !

Please tell me you are joking ... trolling.

I can only guess who would be crying the loudest if a "Police Poser" robbed you .. or worse.

Actually, I am starting got se a tend on Thai Visa, where the first person to post usually has an equally absurd and inflammatory post.

Good business model .. got me to respond!

Interesting, in future I think I'm going to have to tell them to go away if I ever come across a document inspector / 'papers please' type guy even if he's wearing a uniform but not in an official police vehicle.

I'll present my passport at the police station if needed.

Of course I never carry my passport around with me anyway.

A police officer under Thai legal requirements, on presenting himself as such, MUST show identification and allow details of this identification info to be copied/photographed and then state where he is from and what his purpose is.

If there is an issue that the foreigner is unhappy about, then it is suggested that you ask to go with them to a Police Station you know in your area as they have jurisdiction over you.

I have never been stopped or questioned by a police officer anywhere in Thailand and I surmise that 99.9 % of the foreigners are never stopped or questioned as it is not common practice ( although some places more so than others.)

Meantime....what bothers me is this:

The legitimate Police officers certainly have far more important and urgent matters to be pursuing and for the life of me I can not begin to fathom what productive purpose would justify any officers or their superiors allotting any time at all to such a frivolous and unimportant pursuit.

There is a good chance something fishy is going on ( "Monkey Business" as my friend would say ) if and when police officers need to know where you live while coming to visit you face to face and not having any important reason to ask, as Expats are already on file with Immigration as to where they live and other relative information with immigration....which is a division of the police force anyhow.

I would not be surprised if some expats have their residence robbed after the legitimate police confirm their residency....besides the fake police specifically trying to scam expats and arrange a robbery...somehow, someway.

Beware

Cheers

Ask them for and Write down their names, their I.D. numbers their cell phone number, their bosses number and office number. And take motorcycle or car plate number.

Take photos of them also.

They will refuse or leave quickly if not legit.

After that you will not be bothered again.

I have been stopped on several occasions by persons purporting to be genuine police officers, however, they always give themselves away when they demand a payment without offering any form of receipt.....................

I have been stopped on several occasions by persons purporting to be genuine police officers, however, they always give themselves away when they demand a payment without offering any form of receipt.....................

So, how much did you pay them?

This is almost old news now. This happened a few weeks ago and was under the orders of a local police colonel. I have friends in the police force and they told me that they were just carrying out orders from their boss. One policeman said that he'd spent all day visiting farang houses and only 3 of them would let him in. The rest told him to 'go away'. The forms that were presented had no official insignia and were made up at the police station. The second form (in Thai) asked the question 'Do you belong to a gang?'

The police colonel in question has been educated as to the illegality of this and it shouldn't happen again. If a policeman (or men) turn up at your house, then politely tell them where to go. All info that they are asking for is already with immigration. Other questioning needs a reason or suspicion of illegal activity.

Hopefully, the problem has been negated.

I am over 60, and began traveling the world when I was 14.

I have been robbed once.

By Europeans.

While in India.

It is easy to let your guard down to smiling familiar faces.

Don't.

Uhhmm....that happens with every police officer in Thailand purported or real, which brings me to the next dilemma......can one really call those guys in brown uniforms "Police"

Ask them for and Write down their names, their I.D. numbers their cell phone number, their bosses number and office number. And take motorcycle or car plate number.

Take photos of them also.

They will refuse or leave quickly if not legit.

After that you will not be bothered again.

Yes, this is the best way to deal with the situation . Then if too much talk Go straight to the Police station, with house papers ,passport ,

Under the junta rule, the police has been even more aggressive. Their big bosses got sacked, and the government think tee can trust the police. The police are collecting money even more aggressively than before the coup. Probably in line with "make he people happy" program. This just shows that the government leaded by the general do not have any control. Locally the royal Thai police do not pay the government any respect.The prime minister should consider this very much before he leaves

I had the same last month, but it was an official police officer that came, in an official police pick-up. I answered all questions but as I did not have a copy of my passport, so he said that I could drop it into the local police station the following day, which I did and it was accepted by the officer there. He pointed to an official photo on the wall and asked me if this was the officer that came. I confirmed that it was, he thanked me and I left. I am "assuming" that it was all legit???

did you ask him WHY he waned the information? for what purpose? I would and will go directly to the police station before i give anyone my personal information, especially in this country!

The whole thing is dodgy. All any cop needs to see is your visa and your 90 day and/or work permit if working. Address and all pertinent information is on file with immigration.

I don't disagree with your assessment of dodgy, but it seems reasonable that they may want to check that the information filed with immigration is true and current.

The tourist police officers, the genuine ones, have no authorities over immigration issues and if one is approached by them, tell them to fu_k off.

You can tell a cop to go screw himself. I'm going to politely decline to offer any information that I deem inappropriate, and offer to go to the cop shop if that's required.

Because I never know which are real cops and which are fakes, nor am I an expert in where one agency's police powers begin and end. And I can never tell which group Thai lads are going to open a can of whoop ass if I piss them off.

I'd bet there are a lot of foreigners who wish they had handled a situation with a little more tact, and a lot of grieving families that wish their loved ones had done the same- and spared themselves a beating, stabbing, shooting or time in the pokey.

• 2 weeks later...

This does not surprise me at all. Thai's use every trick in the book to scam farangs, and sadly the RTP does absolutely noting to stop them. My guess, they got well payed to look the other way.

Archived