Babylonian Restaurant in Maya. Dee-licious!

RikDao

Anybody on here been there? The original one is in the Night Market area, but I finally tried this one, which has been open just under five months.

It's delicious Middle Eastern food, lots of chicken-type dishes, curries, fresh salads, hummus, etc. Tasty but not spicy. The staff is very friendly and helpful and they have a buffet for 299 baht. I'll definitely be going back, because I love this kind of food. It's a nice break from Thai food, which I also love.

My experience there was overall very average. Most of the food was tasty, the staff was friendly. Since it's buffet style, the food sits there and the restaurant doesn't appear to be very busy so it doesn't get replenished often. Most of the stuff was lukewarm and I pointed out that one of the dip(Mutabal) was off but it never got replaced. The baba ghanoush was empty and never got refilled. The rice took over 20 minutes to appear after we pointed out it was empty. I guess they just then decided to cook another batch. They offered us a nice dessert, I think it was muhallabieh and that was quite nice. I also had a lassi and it was very nice.

I had just been in Dubai a few weeks earlier so it was pretty disappointing compared to the meals I had there but I guess one can't be too picky about Middle Eastern food in Chiang Mai.

On the OP's advice I checked it out today and it is certainly a nice restaurant. A 299 Bt buffet lunch is not for me so I partook of the kebab set @140 Bt. The 'set' comprised of this>

20150529_131138.jpg

Served with a demitasse of tea and yoghurt(?) sauce insufficient for the chicken & haloumi kebab ... 5 out of 10.

Decor nice but restaurant lacks customers ...

20150529_130204.jpg

You should have had the buffet. That is what most people go there for. The chicken with pomegranate and fruit is out of this world. I've had the above as well but the buffet is what most people get. You could have asked for more sauce, chili sauce, etc. I did when I had the kebob and it wasn't a problem at all. For me it gets more like a 8/10 because some of the dishes are so unique and so tasty. It's also very clean in there which is always a plus for me.

If it were my restaurant at 1pm with only 4 customers, I'd have been asking if "all is ok", even offering a taste of the dishes simmering away in the buffet. Perhaps better patronised if they offered a 'one plate' choice for say, 199 Bt at lunch .... ?

You should have had the buffet. That is what most people go there for. The chicken with pomegranate and fruit is out of this world. I've had the above as well but the buffet is what most people get. You could have asked for more sauce, chili sauce, etc. I did when I had the kebob and it wasn't a problem at all. For me it gets more like a 8/10 because some of the dishes are so unique and so tasty. It's also very clean in there which is always a plus for me.

Do you know if the Night Bazaar branch is as good? Maya is out of my comfort zone and it sounds worth checking out because of the "unique" factor.

Do you know if the Night Bazaar branch is as good? Maya is out of my comfort zone and it sounds worth checking out because of the "unique" factor.

Gets some good reviews on the Chiang Mai FB eating pages.

Edited by Chicog

Buffets all over the world are similar, in that the food sits around waiting to be eaten. I get around this by going early-ish, but I understand that not everyone wants to do that.

In my experience there yesterday, everything I tasted was good. I was also the only person eating there. My Thai wife didn't want to try it. Why? Because she'd never tried it before. She went over to one of the Japanese places to eat; in my view those places are expensive because the portions are so miniscule.

The gentleman I spoke to at the restaurant asked me if 299 baht was too expensive. I said maybe for some people, but those people are not likely to be hanging around Maya anyway. (Please don't misunderstand, I'm not implying that I'm wealthy but I like to go to movies and Maya is a very pleasant mall in general).

Oh, by the way, check out San Andreas, the movie, if you have an ironic sense of humor. It's one of the dumbest movies I've ever seen. It's so stupid it'll have you howling, and you'll stay just to see if it gets any more dumb, and yes, it does.

Can't answer that UG, never been to the Night Bazaar location, but I could be wrong but I don't think they have the buffet there.

Does anyone know?

If it were my restaurant at 1pm with only 4 customers, I'd have been asking if "all is ok", even offering a taste of the dishes simmering away in the buffet. Perhaps better patronised if they offered a 'one plate' choice for say, 199 Bt at lunch .... ?

Almost every time I've been there it has been the same; maybe one or two other tables occupied - almost always with Thais. The rent has to be a killer there!

Almost every time I've been there it has been the same; maybe one or two other tables occupied - almost always with Thais. The rent has to be a killer there!

15 years in hospitality, London, Auckland, Sydney, before I even opened my own restaurant taught me how to meet the market. Dave, of the dukes knows how, meanwhile others come and go. Babalonia has potential but lacks the magic carpet. Get ppl in the door, turnover and quality equals success .... Hopefully mine hosts are reading this as the potential is there.

Can't answer that UG, never been to the Night Bazaar location, but I could be wrong but I don't think they have the buffet there.

Does anyone know?

They have taken the Buffet sign off.

I have never eaten the buffet. I prefer my food fresh cooked. (hopefully) I have been many times and it is always slow. The food has been good every-time I have been except once. The rice was under cooked and there was way to much mint on the food. The owner replaced to food without any question and it was right the second time. They recognize me when I come in and always take the time to chat with me before my order. They have always been attentive during the meal and always check with me to make sure I enjoyed the meal before I get the check. I think the place is great but that is just my opinion. Admittedly I have never been to Iraq and have no reference for authenticity. But tastes good to me.

I also am not well versed in Iraqi cuisine but the story with the tandori cooked (you can see the oven behind the buffet) chicken for the Tika Masala is that it's an India dish. Also on the buffet besides Iraqi dishes is Syrian, the cooks are from Iraqi and one's father is Syrian, and other Arab cuisine as well a Mexican (based) one and others even an okra one the day i was there described as African.

I'm a firm believer in doing what you know well not trying to a bit of everything trying to satisfy everyone as it doesn't really work or minimum quite difficult unless your really understand each food and know how to produce it.

Many of the dishes are changed for the Thai and Chinese palate to attract those clientele. For instance they made dishes with especially sweet and sour or very under salted.

The people there try very hard to please and realize the inherent difficulties with offering a buffet and it's food management especially while trying keeping to control the food quality and costs.

Do they succeed in being worth 299 bht? I would say if quantity over quality, as is usually one of the main attractions of any all-you-can-eat offering, then one can get their money's worth, but personally I'd prefer one authentically seasoned dish made to order by a Chef.

Chicken Tikka masala is actually a British dish,invented by

a restaurant in Glasgow and now one of Britain's favorite dishes.

regards Worgeordie

Edited by worgeordie

Chicken Tikka masala is actually a British dish,invented by

a restaurant in Glasgow and now one of Britain's favorite dishes.

regards Worgeordie

That's one version of the origin. Wiki says:

"The origin of the dish is unclear. One explanation claims that it originated in an Indian restaurant in the United Kingdom. Rahul Verma, a Delhi expert on street food, speculated in 2009 that the dish may have originated—probably by accident with subsequent improvisations—in Punjab and Uttar Pradesh during the last 50 years."

The gentleman I spoke to at the restaurant told me that Iraqi food is highly influenced by Indian and Persian cuisine. And yes, being a large fellow, I like the quantity aspect of the buffet concept as long as it's backed up by quality. For me, the Babylonian scores an easy 8 out of 10 overall. As far as the 299 baht issue, I don't plan to eat there every day. What's more, I tend to support a new place if it's struggling, as long as it's good. Somebody in this thread mentioned Duke's; I don't support them because they need the business; I go there because their food is dee-licious!

Currently, there isn't much diversity in the dining options at Maya Mall and this restaurant is a great alternative. Also, we like to get their "Indian" dishes as take away when we're in the mood for Indian food. The chicken is very tender in their chicken dishes and sometimes I have left over cooked chicken at home that I can add to their take-away. Much better than the locally made, frozen British-Indian meals sold at Tops and Rim Ping.