Receive SMS messages on a USA phone number?

stargazer9999

I no longer have a phone number in the States. Does anyone know how to get a private phone number in the States that can receive SMS messages? They have web sites with USA phone numbers that receive SMS messages but they are not private numbers. And the number maybe disappear in the future which isn't reliable for receiving verification codes.

I would pay for the service if the monthly fee wasn't too severe. Google Phone doesn't work outside of the States. I tried getting a Skype phone number but that number couldn't receive SMS messages so I cancelled it.

Any thoughts on this are appreciated.

The only solution I have seen is to have a trusted person in the U.S. (i.e. a brother or other relative you trust) with a phone to receive a SMS message who will then contact you by email or by telephone and relay the message or code to you.

Not entirely satisfactory, but it can work.

I have a free google voice number. It takes sms and voice calls. Both are then forwarded to my google inbox. Works great! I set it up while in the states and referenced my cell number I had at the time. Don't know if that'd be an issue for you. Try it.

Buy a cheap smartphone - used or many models available at 3000 baht ... install one of the SMS forwarding app from Google Play Store ,,, Install / activate Email

Some of the SMS Forwarding apps claim the ability to forward via SMS or Email -- BOTH WAYS...

So you can get codes, etc.

Trick is --- find some friend or relative to keep it plugged in on the charger in some out of the way place ... and you can with some accounts pay on line such as MetroPCS for monthly service charges ...

Not easy - not cheap but it would work

You could create a Skype account on-line " http://www.skype.com/en/ " open a Skype account and then sign up to have a stateside phone number assigned you for $13.99 a month. You can also sign up to be able to use your Skype account to make free phone calls from your computer to most anywhere in the World for an additional fee. They also have a call forwarding option that can be used. I send and receive sms and phone calls in the States and to anyone I do so with sees my number as a Stateside number. You can pick the Stateside area code you would like to use.

I have a free google voice number. It takes sms and voice calls. Both are then forwarded to my google inbox. Works great! I set it up while in the states and referenced my cell number I had at the time. Don't know if that'd be an issue for you. Try it.

I use Google Voice that way, to receive SMS msgs from U.S. senders -- which then arrive here in Thailand in the Google Voice app on my Thai SIM mobile phone.

But to originally setup that arrangement, I believe, you have to at first be able to link your Google Voice account to some U.S. mobile number and verify by receiving a code on it that you're the owner of that number.

The very good MagicJack service also is getting into the text messaging business. Their IOS app now includes the option of unlimited sending and receiving of text messaging using the U.S. phone number their service provides. But, I don't think they've offered the SMS component yet on their Android app. That's listed as "coming soon"...

http://www.magicjack.com/magicApp.html

For those unfamiliar, paying for the annual MagicJack subscription gives you a U.S. phone number and unlimited calling to the U.S.and Canada via your PC and/or an attached house phone. But, that's just like a house phone service, with no SMS capacity. However, their mobile phone app add-ons are beginning to add the SMS functionality to their core voice calling service.

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

You could create a Skype account on-line " http://www.skype.com/en/ " open a Skype account and then sign up to have a stateside phone number assigned you for $13.99 a month. You can also sign up to be able to use your Skype account to make free phone calls from your computer to most anywhere in the World for an additional fee. They also have a call forwarding option that can be used. I send and receive sms and phone calls in the States and to anyone I do so with sees my number as a Stateside number. You can pick the Stateside area code you would like to use.

I've tried this with Skype and it does not work... Please share just how you do this on a US Skype number as their docs state specifically that SMS forwarding is not an option...

You can get cheap SMS capable US telephone numbers from a VoIP company that has sms to email/web service and/or SMS to DID (Direct Inward Dial...ie..a telephone number) and/or SMS to landline voice conversion. They can assign an SMS capable phone number or may even be able to port over an existing SMS capable number from a cell provider.

Do a search for "SIP VoIP providers SMS". There are many many providers around. The SMS feature used to be fairly rare but seems to be more common now a days.

Check out http://wiki.voip.ms/article/SMS for starters.

Edited by lapd

There seems to be all kinds of Skype forum posts with Skype number users complaining that while they can send SMS messages using Skype, but CANNOT receive them via Skype.

The Skype moderators basically confirmed that...and went on to talk about a kind of workaround for dealing with SMS REPLIES to SMS messages originally sent via Skype (as opposed to simply receiving SMS messages directly to a Skype number)..

04-01-2014 14:43

Hi, Passion5w6, and welcome to the Community,

Forgive me for being the bearer of news you do not wish to hear: Skype does not have the facility to accept or in other words to receive reply SMS messages. Reply SMS messages to SMS text sent from Skype would be received via your mobile phone number.

More details in this FAQ article:

https://support.skype.com/en/faq/FA3591/sending-sms-text-messages-windows-desktop

"The person you sent the SMS text message to won’t be able to reply you on Skype. However, you can change your settings to receive the SMS text message replies on your mobile. To do so, select Tools > Options… > IM & SMS > SMS Settings and enter and verify your mobile number."

http://community.skype.com/t5/Skype-Number/Receive-SMS-text-messages-to-Skype-Number/td-p/2766977

I use Google Voice that way, to receive SMS msgs from U.S. senders -- which then arrive here in Thailand in the Google Voice app on my Thai SIM mobile phone.

But to originally setup that arrangement, I believe, you have to at first be able to link your Google Voice account to some U.S. mobile number and verify by receiving a code on it that you're the owner of that number.

The very good MagicJack service also is getting into the text messaging business. Their IOS app now includes the option of unlimited sending and receiving of text messaging using the U.S. phone number their service provides. But, I don't think they've offered the SMS component yet on their Android app. That's listed as "coming soon"...

http://www.magicjack.com/magicApp.html

For those unfamiliar, paying for the annual MagicJack subscription gives you a U.S. phone number and unlimited calling to the U.S.and Canada via your PC and/or an attached house phone. But, that's just like a house phone service, with no SMS capacity. However, their mobile phone app add-ons are beginning to add the SMS functionality to their core voice calling service.

Some clarification on MagicJack The service is absolutely free. I, and many of my friends here in Thailand, use the MagicJack app on our smartphones. You get a USA number that people can call you on, although that may cost the sender, but you can make calls from Thailand to any number in the US or Canada absolutely free. The call quality is much better than I ever got using True to call the states. Easy to install, easy to use. Call my son every week for the last 2.5 years at no cost.

On another note if you just want SMS, I have friends in the US that are on "Line". We SMS all the time. Would that work for you? Again, free.

Doesn't look like mine receives SMS msgs but this may be of interest to you.

I have been using jconnect for more than five years to provide me with a US phone number to that I can provide along with my US address (mail forwarding service). It's great for banks and other businesses that you deal with because they always ask for a phone number. It will take voice messages and receive faxes and then e-mail them to you so you can access them from anywhere. It also lets you send faxes from your computer that is the same as sending one from your US phone number.

https://www.j2.com/jconnect/twa/page/homePage

^ The point is not about having a fake number to send / receive SMS message or using LINE / Whatsapp... Many US banks now require you to receive a SMS message on a US registered telephone number to complete online transactions... When performing wire transfers or sending funds via ACH online, the bank sends a confirmation code to your phone via SMS... You have to enter that code on their site to authorize the transaction... This is the only reason I still have a US SIM card and keep the account active... Skype didn't work, but will investigate the Google Voice method...

^ The point is not about having a fake number to send / receive SMS message or using LINE / Whatsapp... Many US banks now require you to receive a SMS message on a US registered telephone number to complete online transactions... When performing wire transfers or sending funds via ACH online, the bank sends a confirmation code to your phone via SMS... You have to enter that code on their site to authorize the transaction... This is the only reason I still have a US SIM card and keep the account active... Skype didn't work, but will investigate the Google Voice method...

I let my Hushed number lapse but it seems to me to get a google voice number you have to have a US phone. Or I remember some problem like that. You can solve all your problems by searching.biggrin.png

Some clarification on MagicJack The service is absolutely free. I, and many of my friends here in Thailand, use the MagicJack app on our smartphones. You get a USA number that people can call you on, although that may cost the sender, but you can make calls from Thailand to any number in the US or Canada absolutely free. The call quality is much better than I ever got using True to call the states. Easy to install, easy to use. Call my son every week for the last 2.5 years at no cost.

On another note if you just want SMS, I have friends in the US that are on "Line". We SMS all the time. Would that work for you? Again, free.

The issue about MagicJack, in the context of this thread, is that neither their current annual fee subscription phone service nor their Android apps provide any SMS messaging capability.

The only SMS capacity MagicJack (the company) offers right now is a PAID add-on service to their IOS app, which is I believe $1.99 per month or $14.99 per year for unlimited incoming and outgoing text messages. They're saying they plan to expand that SMS capacity to their Android app, but haven't done so yet.

As for getting a U.S. phone number thru MagicJack, I've always had their home device and annual subscription plan, which is about $35 per year. I've never used their mobile phone app alone, as opposed to as an adjunct to their regular service.

But, in looking at their website, it seems to suggest that only the paid services with them give you a U.S. number that other non-MJ users can call to...

post-58284-0-66454200-1433083097_thumb.j

I let my Hushed number lapse but it seems to me to get a google voice number you have to have a US phone. Or I remember some problem like that. You can solve all your problems by searching.biggrin.png

Yes...to use Google Voice to receive SMS messages, I believe you do have to link it, at least at the beginning, to some U.S. mobile number. Once that's done, I'm not sure you necessarily have to keep the U.S. mobile number. But it's required at set up.

AFAIK, to use Google Voice as a new account, you could even use someone else's mobile number for the initial setup and receipt of Google's confirmation message. But then, once that's set up, simply get your own separate number thru Google Voice that is capable of receiving SMS messages via the Google Voice app on your Thai mobile phone.

I get Amazon.com package delivery SMS messages all the time via my Google Voice number, which is a Google-only number, but was originally linked to a different U.S. mobile number.

I send SMSs on Skype , but unless you have bought a "Skype number" I am not sure how they can reply to your "Skype name"

I also have a Google voice number that can receive a SMS ,

I guess someday i will have to try other ways but these work for the few times I need them

The problem here, is that the OP is looking for a receive U.S. SMSs in Thailand solution that doesn't necessarily require already having a valid U.S. mobile phone account, such as is required to set up a new Google Voice account.

And Skype doesn't really work at all in terms of being able to receive U.S. SMS messages not sent as replies.

The problem here, is that the OP is looking for a receive U.S. SMSs in Thailand solution that doesn't necessarily require already having a valid U.S. mobile phone account, such as is required to set up a new Google Voice account.

And Skype doesn't really work at all in terms of being able to receive U.S. SMS messages not sent as replies.

Maybe one could google how to set up a USA SMS account?

I signed up for a new Gmail account today and then a Google Voice number,

They wanted a number to forward calls to and probably verify the account,

so google called the number and I put in the Pin code .....DONE

the number I used was a throwaway sim card in my tablet.......

So have someone you know and trust in the USA sign up and use a $10 sim card for the number,

I have no idea if they will ever come back and ask for that sim cards number again , but I doubt it.

I signed up for a new Gmail account today and then a Google Voice number,

They wanted a number to forward calls to and probably verify the account,

so google called the number and I put in the Pin code .....DONE

the number I used was a throwaway sim card in my tablet.......

So have someone you know and trust in the USA sign up and use a $10 sim card for the number,

I have no idea if they will ever come back and ask for that sim cards number again , but I doubt it.

Yes...that approach works, in terms of getting past Google Voice's initial setup and verification requirement. Assuming the person has a U.S. based Google account that's eligible for Google Voice.

But, as for using a "throwaway" SIM, I think you do need to be careful once the account is set up -- assuming you don't keep that SIM/mobile number active thereafter.

I've done that same kind of thing in the past, and it generally worked fine. Google Voice doesn't seem to regularly ask for re-verification.

But, it could become an issue if, for example, you have multiple Google Voice accounts and you're switching between log-ins on a particular mobile phone. In that kind of situation, you may well get a new verification request when you go to re-log-in to the original GV account.

I keep a couple of unused, prepaid-type U.S. SIMs at home in the drawer just for that kind of occasional purpose.

BTW, I should have added, AFAIK, each individual mobile number can only be used to verify one Google Voice account. Once you've used a particular mobile number for that purpose, you can't turn around and use the same number then or later to verify a different/additional Google Voice account.

In general it helps if you can provide as much detail and background information regarding your application and question.

For example:

I live in Thailand, I have internet at home, I have a mobile phone with a Thai SIM.

I would like to access on-line banking at my bank (Bank of America) in the U.S. and perform transactions which require a 2-step verification process. The second step is requesting a one-time code, which can be delivered to my mobile phone (of record with my bank) as an SMS.

How can I do this in Thailand?

Based on the fact that the OP mentions receiving SMSes, and receiving verification codes, I'm thinking this might be close to his application requirement? If so, this can be very, very challenging. First, it requires that you have a real/true/honest mobile phone number (not just any old telephone number, like a Google Voice number), in the U.S., which is already associated with your account. (In Catch-22 fashion, you cannot change this number of record unless you get a verification code!, or do it in person.) Most VoIP providers cannot support Common Short Code SMSes, which is what most bulk service users, like BofA use, hence you have to use a real mobile phone/number. One solution which would work here is to have a T-Mobile pre-paid SIM, which roams now here in Thailand on AIS, and have that T-Mo number associated with your account at the bank. Once you have a signal, request the SMS via the web portal/app, and it will be delivered here on your phone in ~ 10 seconds. This will cost ~ ten U.S. cents.

BofA also has a SecureID card (~ $20, one time) which displays a code - these are time-based/synced so work here. They may send it to your address of record?

or

I want to be able to originate SMSes here in Thailand (on my mobile phone, or on a PC), sent to my friends/family in the U.S. which are delivered on their mobile phones. I want them to be able to reply, and have those SMSes delivered to my phone here in Thailand.

This one is a LOT simpler. Google Voice would work, as would many SMS service providers (where you only pay per SMS). Or you can just sort out who uses which internet-based messaging, WhatsApp!, Line, FB/Msgr, etc., and use those.

or

whatever...

There are so many permutations, and associated nuances, that it can be challenging to offer a single, silver-bullet solution. But, with an understanding of the requirements and situation, we may be able to come up with a solution.

https://support.google.com/voice/known-issues/16871?hl=en

SMS from application providers (e.g. Skype, Bank of America, etc.) are not working.

This problem is caused by an issue with SMS interoperability, not Google Voice specifically. However, we're looking into it and appreciate your patience.

https://productforums.google.com/forum/#!topic/voice/UXpkjDb9jRA;context-place=topicsearchin/voice/bank$20of$20america

I think you have to present a U.S. IP address in order to register for the full Google Voice (not sure about Google Voice Lite?). Not sure how to deal with the verification though? And maybe some workarounds ?

Some SMS service providers do support CSC, so one of them might work, assuming you could sort out the incoming phone number bit with your bank.

One solution which would work here is to have a T-Mobile pre-paid SIM, which roams now here in Thailand on AIS, and have that T-Mo number associated with your account at the bank. Once you have a signal, request the SMS via the web portal/app, and it will be delivered here on your phone in ~ 10 seconds. This will cost ~ ten U.S. cents.

Assuming that a prepaid T-Mobile account will deliver U.S. originated SMS messages to a T-Mobile SIM in Thailand via roaming (which I don't have any direct experience with)....

This $3 per month text and talk plan from T-Mobile ought to suffice:

post-58284-0-62002600-1433217229_thumb.j

http://prepaid-phones.t-mobile.com/pay-as-you-go

Assuming that a prepaid T-Mobile account will deliver U.S. originated SMS messages to a T-Mobile SIM in Thailand via roaming...

It works fine.

This $3 per month text and talk plan from T-Mobile ought to suffice:

This works, and may be one the least expensive ways to maintain expiry with T-Mo, but there are some even simpler, less expensive approaches. I just stay on the $3/day plan, which only dings my account/balance when I use it.

yes.... right now... I have apparently an older $2 a day unlimited voice/text and 2G internet plan with T-Mobile...though I don't see that offered on their website anymore.

The downside of that kind of plan, however, based on my prior conversations with TMobile, is they told me the balance top-ups only have a limited lifespan before you need to use it or it will expire. Though I switched to the per day plan last December, and it still shows a valid balance since then without any further top-ups. Also, I'd have to go back into my notes from December to check on what TMobile said in terms of my per day plan including or not international roaming access in the three segments: voice/text/2G.

At least with the $3 a month plan, you don't have to worry about your balance or account/number expiring. And, it pretty much works out the same as your $3 per day plan -- assuming you're using your per day plan at least one time each month for something.