Atorvastatin

svaldezi

Hello from what I can see in researching this forum Atorvastain is available in Thailand. My question is Prescription note from doctor best to bring to Thailand? Second question is will a place like Si saket province have something like that in their pharmacy. Thanks in advance for any help.

Here in Pattaya there are only two brands sold. Pfizer and Sandoz - at least that I have been able to find. And both are very expensive. Are there cheaper generic brands available? I'd really like to know as simvastatin causes me a lot of problems.

BTW, has anyone tried moringa? Does it work as good as the statins and does it have any side effects?

Interestingly, Atorvastatin has very recently been re-listed on insurance formularies as a "Tier 2 preferred generic", with a monthly co-pay of $2/month for 30 tabs. One of the few things that are cheaper in the US.

Here in Pattaya there are only two brands sold. Pfizer and Sandoz - at least that I have been able to find. And both are very expensive. Are there cheaper generic brands available? I'd really like to know as simvastatin causes me a lot of problems.

BTW, has anyone tried moringa? Does it work as good as the statins and does it have any side effects?

What sort of problems have you been experiencing with the Statins - muscle pain?

You can certainly get locally made atorvastatin. Just need a large pharmacy that caters primsrily to Thais. These can usually be found in proximity to government hospitals. If no luck near Ban Lamung Hospital then go to the Fascino pharmacy in Chonburi town. (I assume you have alreafy tried Fascino in Pattaya. If not do that first.)

What sort of problems have you been experiencing with the Statins - muscle pain?

Yes. In different parts of the body, including arms and legs, hips ... seems to cause problems with my feet and ankles, making walking difficult. Shoulders feel a lot of pain, but strangely I can still swim. Most of it has disappeared since I stopped taking the simvastatin, but my cardio is not happy - she wants me to try atorvastatin.

Yes. In different parts of the body, including arms and legs, hips ... seems to cause problems with my feet and ankles, making walking difficult. Shoulders feel a lot of pain, but strangely I can still swim. Most of it has disappeared since I stopped taking the simvastatin, but my cardio is not happy - she wants me to try atorvastatin.

There is alot of evidence that Statins reduce the amount of an Enzyme called CoQ10, which in turn seems to induce Muscle Aching.

Read this:

http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/776243

Many more studies seem also support this.

http://examine.com/supplements/Coenzyme+Q10/

There is alot of evidence that Statins reduce the amount of an Enzyme called CoQ10, which in turn seems to induce Muscle Aching.

Read this:

Now there's a coincidence. At about the same time I stopped the simvastatin, several weeks ago, I started taking Coenzyme Q10. A lot of my muscle pain has gone, and my ankles and feet are returning to normal.I have no idea which of the two things is predominant in this. I'll experiment a bit later on.

Sheryl, never heard of diaspan before now. Rough check on the internet doesn't show up any local suppliers. I'm trying to find Atorsan or Chlovas, but no luck at a number of pharmacies in central Pattaya. Atorvastatin from Sandoz or Pfizer is way too expensive.

Read this:

Now there's a coincidence. At about the same time I stopped the simvastatin, several weeks ago, I started taking Coenzyme Q10. A lot of my muscle pain has gone, and my ankles and feet are returning to normal.I have no idea which of the two things is predominant in this. I'll experiment a bit later on.

Sheryl, never heard of diaspan before now. Rough check on the internet doesn't show up any local suppliers. I'm trying to find Atorsan or Chlovas, but no luck at a number of pharmacies in central Pattaya. Atorvastatin from Sandoz or Pfizer is way too expensive.

it's niaspan not diadpan and there is a local suplier. I regulatly buy it here for a friend. It is high dode sudtained release nicotinic acid (niacin).

For atorsan you need to look outside central pattaya as that is pretty much a foreigner ghetto. It is easily gotten in Bkk and probably also in Chonburi town.

CoQ10 and L-carnitine for Statin Myalgia?

James J DiNicolantonio

Disclosures

Expert Rev Cardiovasc Ther. 2012;10(10):1329-1333.

Conclusion

In summary, it has been proposed that CoQ10 can help to treat statin myalgia. While this is not conclusive, there are two randomized controlled trials showing significant improvements in the severity of muscle pain with the use of CoQ10 in patients treated with statins. Thus, it is not unreasonable to supplement a patient who is experiencing muscle pains on a statin with CoQ10. While there are no clinical trials showing improvements in muscle pain with the use of l-carnitine, patients who experience statin myalgia frequently have carnitine abnormalities. It is too soon to recommend l-carnitine for statin myalgia, but future trials should test this supplement to see if it has any place for this adverse effect. Other common alternatives for treating statin myalgias are supplementation with vitamin D or vitamin B12, especially in the setting of suboptimal serum levels.

its not just the myalgia, and i believe it goes for all statins, this muscle "ache" , can become very serious , it is I believe quite common as adverse reactions go .

I believe niacin is no longer believed a good idea to raise HDL if that is what your trying to do ; you'll have to find a RCT recent or the reference, I asked my GP about it offhand last year ......

Sustained release nictoinic acid iused to lower LDL and triglycerides . Note that only the nicotinic acid= form of niacin has this efect, not other forms.

You may be confusing this with Vitamin E which used to be recommended to raise HDL (and does have that effect) but is no longer recommended for that purpoise.