Thailand underperforming in halal export market

Lite Beer

How hard is it for you to understand that for nearly all non Muslims consuming halal certified food is not considered a "religious activity", only by those holding extremist views such as you

It's not hard to understand that is because most non-muslims have no idea what they are eating. If i told "everyone" that they are actually eating food that was slaughtered in "Allahs name" then i can assure you that most would understand that it is in fact religious food. But let me guess that you are a muslim as you so adamantly object to halal being religious food.

there are no laws in non-muslim countries that forbid halal and/or kosher food. you need to stop immediately having hallucinations laugh.png

Yes there are, you are just showing you total ignorance by stating such a thing. For instance kosher is forbidden in Sweden as any animal that is being slaughtered has to have anesthesia first.

Eating halal food is in no more participating in religious activities than eating a chocolate egg in April that people call "an Easter egg" or a fruit cake that was made in December and was dubbed "a Christmas cake". Eating halal food is no more participating in religious activities than eating anzac biscuits is participating in geopolitical activities.

I see where your problem is now...at first I thought your dislike for halal was simply a conduit for Islamaphobia.....please excuse me for that error. You're failing to see that eating food, no matter how it was blessed or chanted over, is not a religious activity. The blessing was religious, and the chanting was, but that is where religion stopped. The food is still the same whether it had had the ritual or not, and no religion seeps out of it into your body. You don't join in the ritual. You don't believe in the ritual. The ritual was done days or weeks before you ate the food....all the magic has disappeared.

When you eat, you are not participating in anything religious whatsoever.

Your amusing notion that by eating halal you are participating in a religious activity is redolent of some of the more animistic Thai superstitions.

If someone mutters religious words (in this case bismillah) then yes it is religious food and a religious activity. And don't even try to blend superstitions into a discussion about real things that are really happening because that is just plain dumb from your part.

one can clearly see who is dumb and writes dumb comments.

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How hard is it for you to understand that for nearly all non Muslims consuming halal certified food is not considered a "religious activity", only by those holding extremist views such as you

It's not hard to understand that is because most non-muslims have no idea what they are eating. If i told "everyone" that they are actually eating food that was slaughtered in "Allahs name" then i can assure you that most would understand that it is in fact religious food. But let me guess that you are a muslim as you so adamantly object to halal being religious food.

Nope not a Muslim and never followed any of the Abrahamic religions. Must be tough for you not being able to eat the likes of kit kat.

Eating halal food is in no more participating in religious activities than eating a chocolate egg in April that people call "an Easter egg" or a fruit cake that was made in December and was dubbed "a Christmas cake". Eating halal food is no more participating in religious activities than eating anzac biscuits is participating in geopolitical activities.

I see where your problem is now...at first I thought your dislike for halal was simply a conduit for Islamaphobia.....please excuse me for that error. You're failing to see that eating food, no matter how it was blessed or chanted over, is not a religious activity. The blessing was religious, and the chanting was, but that is where religion stopped. The food is still the same whether it had had the ritual or not, and no religion seeps out of it into your body. You don't join in the ritual. You don't believe in the ritual. The ritual was done days or weeks before you ate the food....all the magic has disappeared.

Your amusing notion that by eating halal you are participating in a religious activity is redolent of some of the more animistic Thai superstitions.

If someone mutters religious words (in this case bismillah) then yes it is religious food and a religious activity. And don't even try to blend superstitions into a discussion about real things that are really happening because that is just plain dumb from your part.

I certainly can blend OTHER superstitions into the discussion because it is all about superstition.

Words were muttered.

WORDS. That's all.

You are superstitious because you think those words matter! cheesy.gif

On top of that, you think by eating the meat from the animal that had words muttered when it was killed, is participating in the religion of the word-mutterer.

Bizarrely superstitious, and definitely redolent of some of the more odd Thai superstitions.

There was a bar in Pattaya, one of those where the girls are dancing on a stage. Okay, when the boss took over the bar, he arranged for some Buddhist monks to go there. Yes, to say some prayers and ask for good luck or whatever blessings. The monks were there not for long, maybe one hour or less. Now then, surely, nobody has a problem with going inside that bar ?? :)

Also, another bar, they open at 8.00 night time, the girls are all there about one hour before it actually opens. The music is already on, the girls are just hanging around in there. Okay, they then suddenly switch down the music, and all the girls face the 'Buddhist shrine' at the back of the bar, and do a 'wai' (they put their hands together and bow their heads, say a few words). They even bring out a wooden model of a big penis. It's all over in about one minute, or less.

Now, surely, everybody is okay with this ? Sometimes, customers are already in the bar when this happens, well, none of the customers will walk out. And if they were to reveal this to the world, will customers really refuse to go in that bar, on the grounds that the bar did this 'religious activity' every day ?? :)

I also get the feeling, this isn't the only bar in Pattaya that does this !

What about a Thai man who sells t-shirts ? It's early on in the day, you give him a five hundred baht note for the t-shirt, and he then starts waving the five hundred baht note at the other t-shirts that he's got. He actually touches the other t-shirts with the five hundred baht note you've just given him. Then he gives you your change and the t-shirt. Yes, he touched the other t-shirts with your five hundred baht note, it's to encourage the other t-shirts to attract money ! Yes, it's almost like saying to the other t-shirts "look, this one has already gone for money, please, can you guys also go for money". :)

It is a religious ritual, yes, you might be slightly alarmed when you see it for the first time, but it is no big deal ! Who wants to ban this activity ? Surely, nobody ?

attachicon.gifskewer.jpg

For God's sake, this is doner kebab meat in a kebab shop. In England, tens or hundreds of thousands of men get pissed (get drunk with alcohol) on Friday and Saturday nights, and eat a kebab on the way home from the pub or 'nightclub'. Anybody who is from England will know this, anybody who has visited England will also know this. Yes, the above picture is a familiar sight in England. How many kebab shops are there in England ? Loads.

Now, let's just stop this ridiculous hysteria about halal food and Muslims taking over the country. It's almost an insult to our intelligence. It's embarrassing having people go on about how dangerous halal food is.

No, what is emparassing that you do not understand that freedom of religion or lack of gives everyone the right not to participate in religious activities. To be forced to eat halal is forcing people into religious activities. How can that be so hard to understand?

If the sticker on the product just said ''Food'' there is no problem.

You get Cadbury's Cream Eggs and not ''this egg was produced the way that Jesus wanted,''

It's the promotion of values that is the problem.

Ahhh...that is a somewhat different angle to that of the member that is scared of meat that had words murmured over it and thinks the religion will somehow attach itself to him if he eats it. blink.png

Would Cream Eggs be less tempting if they did had a label saying they were made to Jesus' approval? If you were an atheist or a Hindu, would that label then deter you from eating a Cream Egg? It shouldn't, and I'd find it odd if it did.

Live and let live. 7th Day Adventists knocking on my door are a nuisance....it actually physically affects me. So they can rack off. Bretheren preaching on a street corner I can ignore, just walk past, so they don't affect me....I can hear them though...their words are entering my brain!!! Should we ban them? Should we ban the Hari's singing? The cross on the local church is in my view every day!!! Should it be hidden from my non-Christian view? That well-positioned cross is in fact more of a promotion of religion than a halal sticker. Much more. And it's out there in the public.

The halal sticker is not promoting a religion, it is informing the adherents of a religion of the food's acceptability. The sticker is not there for you...you can safely ignore it, just as, if you are not allergic to peanuts, you can ignore a sticker saying "this food may contain traces of peanuts".

I can see the millions pouring into this proposal.

"Islamic community leader Jamal Rifi has called on halal certification groups to fund deradicalisation programs
Halal certifiers listed as charities and claiming tax breaks
Financial statements reveal organisations make large profits
Community leader Jamal Rifi suggests they fund support programs
PROMINENT Islamic community leader Jamal Rifi has called on halal certifiers — some collecting millions of dollars a year — to help fund the deradicalisation of young Muslims, including the children of notorious terrorist Khaled Sharrouf.
Dr Rifi said revenue collected by halal certifiers belonged to the “Muslim community”."

The Daily Telegraph, Sydney

If the Jews demand that all food products, not just in Israel but the world over, be certified Kosher and a nice Star of David be placed on the label right beside the Muslim certification how many Muslims would buy these products?

You could argue all you want that the Star of David was not contaminating the food but it would not be bought by Muslims. Now that would be pure prejudice on the part of Muslims. But some would argue it's just Muslims exercising their right not to eat Kosher certified food and that they are entitled to argue that as they are not Jews the food should not be prepared in a manner dictated by the Torah and the the Star of David should not be placed on food products they, Muslims, want to eat.

It is not about food being affected by Halal certification or Kosher certification. It is about the principle that no religious group should demand of others that food be prepared the way they want and only they want. It is the thin edge of the wedge.

Jews have been around far longe rthan either Christians or Muslims , they have been in Britain in any numbers for far longer than the arrival of hordes of Muslims on the shores ,they have their own Kosher butchers ect and i have never ever heard them complaining that there is no kosher foods available in the supermarkets ,schools have never been forced to give all the kids Kosher food ,when i was a lad and the morning assembly was held ,the Jewish lads sat in the classroom and did their homework , all you ever hear these days is Muslims moaning and complaining something the Jews have never done , they realized the UK was a Christian country and just got on with things , not like the muslims.

You get Cadbury's Cream Eggs and not ''this egg was produced the way that Jesus wanted,''

Ahhh...that is a somewhat different angle to that of the member that is scared of meat that had words murmured over it and thinks the religion will somehow attach itself to him if he eats it. blink.png

Would Cream Eggs be less tempting if they did had a label saying they were made to Jesus' approval? If you were an atheist or a Hindu, would that label then deter you from eating a Cream Egg? It shouldn't, and I'd find it odd if it did.

Live and let live. 7th Day Adventists knocking on my door are a nuisance....it actually physically affects me. So they can rack off. Bretheren preaching on a street corner I can ignore, just walk past, so they don't affect me....I can hear them though...their words are entering my brain!!! Should we ban them? Should we ban the Hari's singing? The cross on the local church is in my view every day!!! Should it be hidden from my non-Christian view? That well-positioned cross is in fact more of a promotion of religion than a halal sticker. Much more. And it's out there in the public.

The halal sticker is not promoting a religion, it is informing the adherents of a religion of the food's acceptability. The sticker is not there for you...you can safely ignore it, just as, if you are not allergic to peanuts, you can ignore a sticker saying "this food may contain traces of peanuts".

''Would Cream Eggs be less tempting if they did had a label saying they were made to Jesus' approval? If you were an atheist or a Hindu, would that label then deter you from eating a Cream Egg? It shouldn't, and I'd find it odd if it did.''

​Would you find it odd if it deterred a Muslim?

If you answer yes to that question, this conversation ends right now.

''Would Cream Eggs be less tempting if they did had a label saying they were made to Jesus' approval? If you were an atheist or a Hindu, would that label then deter you from eating a Cream Egg? It shouldn't, and I'd find it odd if it did.''

​Would you find it odd if it deterred a Muslim?

If you answer yes to that question, this conversation ends right now.

I would find it odd if anyone was deterred by a Jesus sticker, so yes.

But you seem to be subscribing to Saan's unsubstantiated and self-projecting assertion in post #97 where he states that Muslims wouldn't eat food labelled kosher. As long as the food was also halal, I doubt that any Muslim, except narrow-minded silly ones, would balk.

Edited by Seastallion

But you seem to be subscribing to Saan's unsubstantiated and self-projecting assertion in post #97 where he states that Muslims wouldn't eat food labelled kosher. As long as the food was also halal, I doubt that any Muslim, except narrow-minded silly ones, would balk.

Out of curiosity I looked it up.

For most Muslim sects, kosher is a subset of halal; accordingly, Muslims can generally eat kosher food, but Jews cannot eat all halal food. Ayatollah Ali al-Sistani rules that kosher meat is not halal.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_Islamic_and_Jewish_dietary_laws

For most Muslim sects, kosher is a subset of halal; accordingly, Muslims can generally eat kosher food, but Jews cannot eat all halal food. Ayatollah Ali al-Sistani rules that kosher meat is not halal.

Surely you mean halal is a subset[1] of kosher.

[1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Subset

Not I, copied and pasted from Wiki.

Why aren't we forcing muslims to eat pork or non-halal? Because they are doing exactly the same to us by forcing us to eat halal. For instance most schools in Sweden only serve halal food and if you as a non-muslim parent complain to the school, municipality (they "control" schools) or Department of Education that you do not accept that your children are forced to eat ritual food you are either ignored or thrown the RACIST-card.

You don't have to go to Sweden to find halal tuck shops. They all are in Australia. Forget about any mention of Christmas or Easter at schools. 1.9 per cent of Australia's population are calling the shots.

I can take other examples as well...

When the schools end for summer around beginning of june it has been a long, long tradition that classes go to church (Sweden has been christian country for about a millennium) but even this has stopped as to not "offend" a certain very vocal minority. Which minority it is i can imagine any thinking person can figure out. But then again, there are schools in Sweden that don't actually have a single ethnic swede anymore... statistics say that with the current immigration flow and birth rates Sweden will actually have a minority ethnic swedish population in about 40-50 years.

Sh*t. Only an Anders Brevik can save you now. You wanna join the Knights Templar and get yourself kitted out quick. I reckon these schools that "don't have a single 'ethnic Swede'" should force their students to go to church. Perhaps get em to go to church on an island. It's the only democratic response that makes sense.

Not I, copied and pasted from Wiki.

How about, eating kosher AND halal food is okay for people in Britain ? And also, it will be okay for people in the rest of Europe, and America, to eat both ?

If the Jews demand that all food products, not just in Israel but the world over, be certified Kosher and a nice Star of David be placed on the label right beside the Muslim certification how many Muslims would buy these products?

You could argue all you want that the Star of David was not contaminating the food but it would not be bought by Muslims. Now that would be pure prejudice on the part of Muslims. But some would argue it's just Muslims exercising their right not to eat Kosher certified food and that they are entitled to argue that as they are not Jews the food should not be prepared in a manner dictated by the Torah and the the Star of David should not be placed on food products they, Muslims, want to eat.

It is not about food being affected by Halal certification or Kosher certification. It is about the principle that no religious group should demand of others that food be prepared the way they want and only they want. It is the thin edge of the wedge.

...and who the frog, is doing that?

The world over?

I am going shopping on a daily basis: 7eleven, Foodland, Family Mart, the little convenience store in our Condo...maybe I have not been looking closely, but I am quiet sure, that I buy non- halal food daily and easily. (not that I care, but...)

So you are making strawman argument after strawman argument, to hit home the fact, that yoiu are just anti- muslim!

We get it!

Move on!

Why aren't we forcing muslims to eat pork or non-halal? Because they are doing exactly the same to us by forcing us to eat halal. For instance most schools in Sweden only serve halal food and if you as a non-muslim parent complain to the school, municipality (they "control" schools) or Department of Education that you do not accept that your children are forced to eat ritual food you are either ignored or thrown the RACIST-card.

You don't have to go to Sweden to find halal tuck shops. They all are in Australia. Forget about any mention of Christmas or Easter at schools. 1.9 per cent of Australia's population are calling the shots.

When the schools end for summer around beginning of june it has been a long, long tradition that classes go to church (Sweden has been christian country for about a millennium) but even this has stopped as to not "offend" a certain very vocal minority. Which minority it is i can imagine any thinking person can figure out. But then again, there are schools in Sweden that don't actually have a single ethnic swede anymore... statistics say that with the current immigration flow and birth rates Sweden will actually have a minority ethnic swedish population in about 40-50 years.

Sh*t. Only an Anders Brevik can save you now. You wanna join the Knights Templar and get yourself kitted out quick. I reckon these schools that "don't have a single 'ethnic Swede'" should force their students to go to church. Perhaps get em to go to church on an island. It's the only democratic response that makes sense.

Never go full retard. You just went full retard.

Panic time brother, panic time!!!

435px-Number_of_persons_by_foreign_Swedi

clap2.gif

What is a mystery is how all the arguments presented by Asheron and a few others relates to the OP. Nevertheless with a quick bit of research a very different picture emerges to that presented by Asheron.

On the schools issue it's more to the point some Swedes didn't want a religious influence in the school environment. not that it was demanded by Muslims.. However, in August 2014 the Swedish government provided by clarification of the Education Act that ceremonies should be designed so that everyone, regardless of religion, feels welcome. If a student does not want to participate, he or she will of course have the right to abstain.

http://www.thelocal.se/20140806/government-graduations-may-take-place-in-church

Interestingly...

Less than 4% of the Church of Sweden membership attends public worship during an average week; about 2% are regular attendees.[7] Some scholars consider the nation to be a place where religion is regarded with “benign indifference”.[8]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Religion_in_Sweden

Edited by simple1

Just to clarify, i'm not swedish by ethnicity. Do you by the way understand the things i put in bold, italic and underlined above in my original text?

Where in that can i see ethnic swedes (from here on just "swedish")? You aren't swedish just because you came out of a vagina in a swedish hospital. Neither are you swedish because "person X" parents came out from two different vaginas (hopefully) "a while back" in a swedish hospital. You aren't even swedish if you take the metro in Stockholm (like the current vice prime minister of Sweden thinks).

To give the "graph challenged" something bit more tangible to look at... here. For "nordic language challenged", use translate.google.com.

7ldfkmg.jpg

Halal certification is a Muslim tax that has been shown to support terrorism. Time to expose the Wolf from under the Sheepskin. The rest of the World is waking up to this extortion as Muslims try to distort the facts for their own gain.

The mind boggles at how you can think that a ritual that has nothing to do with money (except paying the slaughterman his wages) somehow generates tax money which is then siphoned off to ISIS or some such.

Extortion????

Boggles....boggles.

I am afraid you are wrong. It is a form of extortion. You don't just pay for the slaughter man but you pay a fee for every item that bears a halal certification. It is a multi billion business around the world.

I don't care whether its Muslims, Seventh Day Adventists, Jews or Holly Rollers. I don't want any organisation to force me to eat food they require to be blessed their way, processed their way, and to my mind slaughtered cruelly. I have lived mostly in Christian and Buddhist countries. None of them have required I eat food they have blessed. If I am in a Muslim country, OK, that is fair enough. Their country, their rules. Maybe Muslins can adhere to that simple philosophy.

" I don't want any organisation to force me to eat food they require to be blessed their way, processed their way,..."

Holy sh*t! Does that include my USDA certified beef and pork?? You know, the beef and pork that has been certified to have been slaughtered and processed in a particular way. You know, the certification that I have to pay for (with taxes!!!) with every bloody bite of my bloody (rare actually) beef and pulled pork. Bloody hell, I gotta stop, and then there goes my Catholic beef burger, my Protestant pork roll, my Methodist meat balls AND my Baptist Bacon. A cruel, cruel world. But then, I don't want any organization to force me to eat food they require to be blessed in their way, processed their way...