how to text to the US

koolaukid

Hello All,

Just moved to Bangkok from the US. Wrestling with all the normal stuff, finding an apartment, opening a bank account. Been able to resolve most things but one has me stumped. I recently obtained a True sim card for my phone but cannot figure out how to text to the us. I've tried various combinations of prefixes, "001", "0011", "011", etc but haven't been able to successfully send a text. I'd also like to know how people in the US can text me.

Stopped by the True outlet in Robinsons, they told me I need to turn on roaming which doesn't make sense to me. Between the technical naivete and the language barrier I'm totally at a loss. Can anyone extend any advice?

Many thanks,

Scott

Since you are new, maybe you don't know how cheap it is to actually place a phone call via True to US. The charge is 1 baht/minute - or about $2/hr.

For the True rate, dial 006 001 then area code and number.

Good Luck here.

Since you are new, maybe you don't know how cheap it is to actually place a phone call via True to US. The charge is 1 baht/minute - or about $2/hr.

Good Luck here.

To call/text the US using TrueMove, it's 006 1 (area code) phone number (no 00 immediately preceding the 1.) At least that's what I use to call the US on True....use that format to text also.

To reply from the U.S., the receiver can simply reply to the original text - provided their cell phone service allows international texting and it's incorporated into the plan or....

Texting/calling a Thai number from the US should be 011-66-(phone number minus the zero). So if your True cell number within Thailand is 098 123 4567 it would be 011 66 98 123 4567.

Edited by TheAppletons

I remember that for AIS(!) there were SIMs which could not be used for oversea (calls).

Some dumb shop girl wanted to sell me one. But the smart a.. karthoey stepped in tongue.png

Don't know whether True would have something similar.

Why not test whether phone service works?

Call Macys New York:

001 1 212 695 4400

or

006 1 212 695 4400

or

009 1 212 695 4400

Does it ring?

If someone lifts then excuse and hang up.

Cheap test.

If not: you have an issue with the SIM card.

I just tried 009 1 212 695 4400.

It rang twice tongue.png (no one disturbed I guess).

Edited by KhunBENQ

Good Luck here.

Been out of LOS for a year. Over the years I have used whatever sim card (old one often has expired), DTAC and whatever else was handy at whatever store I stop at to charge up my minutes. I don't call back to the USA much so never paid much mind to the costs. But I do vaguely recall there being better ways to call. 1 /baht min sounds great. I know I was paying more than that on some other cards, or minutes I loaded up with.

Can you use that "True" method with any SIM card and any minute load up or do you have to use True cards/SIM?

Thanks

006 seems True exclusive,

Dialing from AIS: "the prefix number is unknown".

I doubt the 1 Baht/min.

Its "special" 2.50 Baht/min:

http://www3.truecorp.co.th/idd006/en/index.html

And the dialing for USA would be:

006 1 <area code> ....

009 prefix (CAT) can be used from any cellphone (as far as I know).

Rate to US is 2.50 Baht/min (fixed or mobile), what a difference biggrin.png

Edited by KhunBENQ

To get back on topic whistling.gif

Does anyone have an idea what a text message (SMS) to USA cost?

Could not find so far.

Found one price at AIS.

http://www.ais.co.th/12Call/en/service-AIN.html

Service Rate :
Sending International SMS is 9 Baht (THB) per Message. (excluding VAT)

Quite expensive. A 4 min phone call for the same price.

Its the upper limit ("pressing +").

Edited by KhunBENQ

To get back on topic whistling.gif

Does anyone have an idea what a text message (SMS) to USA cost?

Could not find so far.

Found one price at AIS.

http://www.ais.co.th/12Call/en/service-AIN.html

Service Rate :

Sending International SMS is 9 Baht (THB) per Message. (excluding VAT)

Quite expensive. A 4 min phone call for the same price.

Its the upper limit ("pressing +").

True charges 10 thb/text vs 3 thb/min of calling time to the USA.

Edited by TheAppletons

What's App, Skype, Line and bunch of other Apps let you text for free via WiFi/3G. These apps are free downloads. Then there is always the old standard, email. These are free workarounds for texting. (note too that if using iPhone to iPhone, texting calling or video calling is free over WiFi / 3G.

I'm using a MagicJack Plus, plugged into the router it acts just like a phone. Rings when people call, both outbound and inbound calls act as if I were in California with a 408 area code so no international charges whatsoever. Pretty good voice quality. Voicemail gets converted to a .wav file and sent to my email. Easy to use and hard not to like.