I have 2 passports (old and new) : no problem at immigration ?

Hello.

I will renew my passports very soon, because it has no more page.

I will keep my old passport, because it contains my original ED-visa (dated of October 2014).

This means I will present my 2 passport at immigration next time for my next visa extension.

Is Bangkok immigration office use to manage this ? Or did anybody experience some problems with this ?

Thank you.

When you receive new passport take it together with the "OLD " passport to immigration where they will transfer all relevant information to the NEW passport

The visa is of historic interest only !

You need to have your stamps transferred at immigration from you old to new passport. The will do an annotation of the visa you used for the entry you have been extending, the entry stamp from it, and your most recent extension of stay.

You will need a letter from your embassy requesting the stamp transfer,

If Bangkok immigration is where you got your extension that is the office you will use to do the transfer.

• Like 1

When your new passport from the french embassy, they automatically prepare and provide you the letter. I have renewed my passport many times at the French Embassy because I am travelling a lot. The last time was last month. I applied in BKK but requested to be deliver in honorary French consul in Phuket as I live there. The letter was attached to the new passport.

When your new passport from the french embassy, they automatically prepare and provide you the letter. I have renewed my passport many times at the French Embassy because I am travelling a lot. The last time was last month. I applied in BKK but requested to be deliver in honorary French consul in Phuket as I live there. The letter was attached to the new passport.

I will renew my passport in France in Paris (so not in French embassy).

So should I get a letter from the french embassy in Bkk also, or should I ask in Paris ?

Thank you.

I will renew my passport in France in Paris (so not in French embassy).

So should I get a letter from the french embassy in Bkk also, or should I ask in Paris ?

Thank you.

if you get your passport in France , then ask for the letter there.

I didn't got a letter from my embassy in BKK and that was not a problem also, nobody asked for it at Immigration.

There is a stamp on the first page of your passport which states it is given to replace your old passport with number .......

Good luck.

I just had my stamps transferred to my new passport last week and did my visa extension at the same time. It was no problem at all. Like other posters said, get the letter from your embassy or in your case, the passport office in France if possible. The US Embassy where I received my new passport, provided me with the letter without me having to ask for it.

At Chaeng Wattana, the same people (L section) that do the visa extensions are also the persons that do the stamp transfers. So you are able to do both the transfer and the visa extension at the same desk. I was told to copy all the relevant pages from my old passport, which I did, but they didn't keep any of the copies but did look at them.

if you get your passport in France , then ask for the letter there.

I didn't got a letter from my embassy in BKK and that was not a problem also, nobody asked for it at Immigration.

There is a stamp on the first page of your passport which states it is given to replace your old passport with number .......

Good luck.

Immigration probably will only accept a letter from an embassy.

Not all offices ask for the letter.

OP is apparently going to be doing it in Bangkok and they do ask for it.

Whoah! Hold your horses mon ami!

I have been traveling back and forth to Thailand for the last 15 years and about half the time with two passports, the cancelled one (with holes punched through the cover and page that has my photo and other information on it only) and the new one. I go through passports every 18 months or so because of all the one-page visas I have to get from regional countries I work in, hence I've had two passports around 50-60% of the time. Nobody has EVER questioned me about this, or suggested that I should go to Immigration and get the visa transferred.

So if you want the easy option, just carry the two with you. Easier still, staple the front cover of the old one to the back cover of the new one, then you won't forget it.

Also...something to remember in Thailand

If you have your old passport number recorded with bank account details.

You must update bank details with new passport number.

Must take both passports with you to the bank.

aussiep

Whoah! Hold your horses mon ami!

I have been traveling back and forth to Thailand for the last 15 years and about half the time with two passports, the cancelled one (with holes punched through the cover and page that has my photo and other information on it only) and the new one. I go through passports every 18 months or so because of all the one-page visas I have to get from regional countries I work in, hence I've had two passports around 50-60% of the time. Nobody has EVER questioned me about this, or suggested that I should go to Immigration and get the visa transferred.

So if you want the easy option, just carry the two with you. Easier still, staple the front cover of the old one to the back cover of the new one, then you won't forget it.

If you have a valid visa from and embassy or consulate you cannot transfer you visa over to a new passport. That is why you have to use both passports.

The discussion is about having an extension of stay from immigration which requires the stamps to be transferred..

Whilst this thread is running I might add something, slightly off topic.

As I'm leaving Thailand after 8 years I finally got divorced (amicably). However, when I was finalising it I was asked for my 'old' passport as that was the number on the original marriage certificate. Fortunately I had kept it in the safe for 6 years and was able to produce it.

So, never destroy your old passport here. Not advocating you get divorced by the way!.

• Like 1

Hi while on the subject of two passports I have a different question one which I asked before but just realised it might be a problem.

I have a South African and Cypriot passport my previous question was how to go from the one to the other for my Thai visas was that I had to fly out of Thailand and then enter with the other passport which I understand.

But I just realised that my surname in both are not spelt the same as one of my grandparents went to the Holy land many years back and then the Cypriot government ads Hadji to your surname. That means if I enter on my Cypriot passport my surname on my marriage certificate is not the same. I intend to go to Savannakhet to do a one year non O visa on my marriage to a Thai lady. If this will be accepted will I need to take my wife with to Laos as well?

The reason I want to change passports is because I am going to give up my South African citizenship. The South African government now cancels your passport automatically if you have dual citizenship though this has not happened to me yet. The other reason is because I have a pension in S.A. which I can only get if I give up my passport. Any advice will be very much appreciated.

Hi while on the subject of two passports I have a different question one which I asked before but just realised it might be a problem.

I have a South African and Cypriot passport my previous question was how to go from the one to the other for my Thai visas was that I had to fly out of Thailand and then enter with the other passport which I understand.

But I just realised that my surname in both are not spelt the same as one of my grandparents went to the Holy land many years back and then the Cypriot government ads to your surname. That means if I enter on my Cypriot passport my surname on my marriage certificate is not the same. I intend to go to Savannakhet to do a one year non O visa on my marriage to a Thai lady. If this will be accepted will I need to take my wife with to Laos as well?

The reason I want to change passports is because I am going to give up my South African citizenship. The South African government now cancels your passport automatically if you have dual citizenship though this has not happened to me yet. The other reason is because I have a pension in S.A. which I can only get if I give up my passport. Any advice will be very much appreciated.

Is Hadji added as suffix or prefix to your name. I don't think it will make a big difference if that is the case. But if asked about it you could show them your other passport you used to get married.

You wife does not need to go with you when you apply for the visa. But you will need her to sign and date the copies of her house book and ID Card.

Thank you very much.

In my S.A. passport my surname is Lambrou and in my Cypriot passport it is Hadjilambrou. I might get away with it the first time but their excuse might be that my wifes married surname on the marriage certificate is not the same as on my passport.

I am just worried that if I go there the second time I wont have my old S.A. passport as the embassy will take my passport back unless if I keep a copy I just don't want to go to all the expense travelling to Savannakhet and then being refused my visa. I know it makes sense if I have my S.A. passport with me to show them but you never know with the Thai officials. Do you still think with this situation I don't need to take my wife with me. Sorry for all the questions but it is appreciated when I receive your input.

Thank you very much.

In my S.A. passport my surname is Lambrou and in my Cypriot passport it is Hadjilambrou. I might get away with it the first time but their excuse might be that my wifes married surname on the marriage certificate is not the same as on my passport.

I am just worried that if I go there the second time I wont have my old S.A. passport as the embassy will take my passport back unless if I keep a copy I just don't want to go to all the expense travelling to Savannakhet and then being refused my visa. I know it makes sense if I have my S.A. passport with me to show them but you never know with the Thai officials. Do you still think with this situation I don't need to take my wife with me. Sorry for all the questions but it is appreciated when I receive your input.

My wife's married name not does appear on our Thai marriage certificate. They changed that after our marriage was registered.

Only your name will be different.

All you can do is try and get the visa by showing both passports if needed.

You wife will not need to with you but it might help if she was with you to help explain the name difference.

Hadji is usually a prefix added to a name to indicate a Muslim person has undertaken the Hajj ..........

It is an "honorary" title which (as far as I am aware) does not "change" a persons legal identity .

• 2 months later...

OK I just did 2 weeks ago, and I did not get problem. Immigration at CW just made the visa transfer from old to one, without any letter from embassy.

You just have to be sure that immigration staff stamps the new passport when you arrived at the airport. It was the case for me.

Otherwise, if immigration stamps the old one, you will have to get letter from your embassy.