Pattaya-Koh Lan passenger boat sinks

Thaivisa News

Two pieces of advice I would give to any visitor

1). Don't use the "mini van" transport

2). Don't use these ferries to the Islands. Or for that matter. "anywhere"

General ThaiVisa member advice appears to be don't come to Thailand at all.

Though those that give such advice with their continual moaning and whining and still choose to live here by choice ( Those that actually do live in Thailand that is, I suspect most don't), shows that Thailand has faults the same as everywhere else, but it ain't as bad as forums like this one make it out to be, else they wouldn't be here themselves would they.

I am one of those who do live here and yes Thailand has it's faults but it is by far in a class of it's own. This is a very dangerous country in many aspects and little is done to improve on safety standards in just about everything and there will be very little progress in this for years to come owing to the culture. Those that fail to realize this are truly in denial

Yet you still choose to live here with all your knowledge, are you a masochist ?

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Though those that give such advice with their continual moaning and whining and still choose to live here by choice ( Those that actually do live in Thailand that is, I suspect most don't), shows that Thailand has faults the same as everywhere else, but it ain't as bad as forums like this one make it out to be, else they wouldn't be here themselves would they.

My goodness, 16 posts for the rose-coloured specs brigade to chime in. Must be something of a record.

I've lived in Pattaya for a good many years now, love the place and wouldn't live anywhere else, but c'mon, criticism where it's due. Two ferry sinkings in a short space of time, doesn't it deserve just a little whinge? Throw in the speedboat crashes as well and that's a fair bit of shipping headed for the bottom of the bay. Don't even get me started on the bus crashes.

You did realize Thailand is a developing nation before you chose to move here I take it, yet you seem so amazed when the country has developing nation problems.

You could always go to live in Tokyo, Singapore, Geneva, Monaco or places of that ilk, ah but wait a minute, they are too expensive for you, go back home, no it's too boring and the weather is cr-ap , so a developing country it is then, but expect developing country problems.

I've also lived here a good many years, since 1990 in fact, you think it's bad now, jeeez, you'd have wondered what planet you were on in 1990.

Edited by Banzai99

82 passengers on a boat with 24 seats. And they wondered why it sank when they hit a rogue wave.

If you are looking at the Photo in the OP, that is the top deck, It is a double decker and I am sure it is capable of carrying 82 passengers and a few crew, what I am not so sure about was it only 82 passengers, those boats do not bother with head counts, they tend too ram as many passengers on as possible so the load does not shift.

As for speculation as to what happened... well those boat do not just sink especially as it only just left port, I do not think it overturned as it is still upright, if it hit something submerged hard enough to cause it to sink within a few minutes then everybody would have felt it, my guess is it was in need of overhaul due to excessive leaks, they just chanced there luck once too often, the bilge pumps could not cope and they lost power, I do hope the captains distress call enabled other boats to pull alongside to transfer passengers before it sank...

As for investigating the cause, this should be up to the navy boys.

Then how would you suggest getting to Koh Larn? Only other way is speed boat and those things could just as easily sink or hit something. They also cost 50-100x more.

Edited by lapd

They should give every passenger a life jacket as they board these old decrepit boats.

The main ferries have life jackets but it's up to the passengers if they choose to wear them.

Travelling on a Ferry from Koh Samui, I noted that there was a limit of 287 passengers allowed passage.

We counted over 580 with a margin of 10% because of people going to the toilets and cafe bar.

Most lifejackets were stowed in the Main Cabin in lockers which were behind a huge mound of suitcases and backpacks.

When I asked a crew member where were the lifejackets he didn't know. I caught up with him and he then asked some "more important" crew member who also didn't know.

Overloaded, no accessible lifejackets in an emergency and not a care on the way to the Bank.

Safe in the knowledge that in the event of 300 or 400 lives being lost - that "they" could take care of it.

What incentive is there for a Ferry Company to 'do the right thing?'

My goodness, 16 posts for the rose-coloured specs brigade to chime in. Must be something of a record.

I've lived in Pattaya for a good many years now, love the place and wouldn't live anywhere else, but c'mon, criticism where it's due. Two ferry sinkings in a short space of time, doesn't it deserve just a little whinge? Throw in the speedboat crashes as well and that's a fair bit of shipping headed for the bottom of the bay. Don't even get me started on the bus crashes.

You did realize Thailand is a developing nation before you chose to move here I take it, yet you seem so amazed when the country has developing nation problems.

You could always go to live in Tokyo, Singapore, Geneva, Monaco or places of that ilk, ah but wait a minute, they are too expensive for you, go back home, no it's too boring and the weather is cr-ap , so a developing country it is then, but expect developing country problems.

I've also lived here a good many years, since 1990 in fact, you think it's bad now, jeeez, you'd have wondered what planet you were on in 1990.

Time you <deleted> lightened up, try smiling once a while.

Edited by Rimmer
Profane

Time you lightened up, try smiling once a while.

This is ThaiVisa mate, no smiling allowed here and judging by your own posts you moan and whinge with the best of em.

Me, I'm a Thai Apologist, according to many here.

It's all a game, the more they moan, the more I'll counter, really boring forum if everyone just slagged off everything and everyone in Thailand, you have to have opposition, if I agreed all the time with all the moaning ThaiVisa would be pointless to me, so when people say they have free speech and can moan, yes they do, and so do I, so if I ask why are they in Thailand when they critisise nearly every aspect of living here, they label me a Thai apologist and are allowed the freedom to do so.

I have lived here a long time, I guess I was young enough to adapt when Thailand was really different in 1990, I was here through all the changes and was only 35 when I came here, I was able to adapt, now for instance if I was 70 and I decided to move here from a developed country, my experience would be totally different maybe, would I find the driving ok, no I wouldn't, but I've been doing it for 25 years, I was able to adapt, sorry if that bothers some people , it's just a fact, if you don't adapt you're gonna have a totally different experience in Thailand than I have had, If I didn't like it here, I'd leave, but I'm not 60 yet, nearly but not yet, now maybe if I was 70 - 80 I may feel stuck here even though I'm not really having the good time I thought I would when I chose to move here.

I mean c'mon, would you prefer a Forum where everyone agreed on every subject.

I await the responses from the happy folk of this Forum. smile.png <---------- Smile

So they have had two boats sink.

Must have been really scary for the passengers, especially those with children.

So after the first boat sunk they learned, what?

NOTHING.....

At least some new dive spots.....

They learned to charge a little more, and to put more people on again

Will we see this properly reported by the TV networks ? So much is deliberately concealed for fear of frightening the tourists away.

You expect this minor incident to be international news? I have a feeling you don't work in the media!

Exactly. A friend of mine was in the queue for the Herald of Free Enterprise but got sent to Calais.

Time you buggers lightened up, try smiling once a while.

This is ThaiVisa mate, no smiling allowed here and judging by your own posts you moan and whinge with the best of em.

Me, I'm a Thai Apologist, according to many here.

It's all a game, the more they moan, the more I'll counter, really boring forum if everyone just slagged off everything and everyone in Thailand, you have to have opposition, if I agreed all the time with all the moaning ThaiVisa would be pointless to me, so when people say they have free speech and can moan, yes they do, and so do I, so if I ask why are they in Thailand when they critisise nearly every aspect of living here, they label me a Thai apologist and are allowed the freedom to do so.

I have lived here a long time, I guess I was young enough to adapt when Thailand was really different in 1990, I was here through all the changes and was only 35 when I came here, I was able to adapt, now for instance if I was 70 and I decided to move here from a developed country, my experience would be totally different maybe, would I find the driving ok, no I wouldn't, but I've been doing it for 25 years, I was able to adapt, sorry if that bothers some people , it's just a fact, if you don't adapt you're gonna have a totally different experience in Thailand than I have had, If I didn't like it here, I'd leave, but I'm not 60 yet, nearly but not yet, now maybe if I was 70 - 80 I may feel stuck here even though I'm not really having the good time I thought I would when I chose to move here.

I mean c'mon, would you prefer a Forum where everyone agreed on every subject.

I await the responses from the happy folk of this Forum. smile.png <---------- Smile

No I agree with you, I too was in Thailand from the 90s and saw all the changes, but they were not for the good in my opinion, then my wife and children came back to live in the UK, we all adapt, we have too, but when you have to adapt to, too many bad things it is not worth the hassle, at least here in the UK we know how we stand, and we enjoy that aspect better, But I must admit, I miss the old Thailand so very much, but sadly I only have the memories of those days, that are gone forever

This is nothing new and nothing Thai specific. There was a dive boat positioned permanently out at sea on the GREAT Barrier Reef - it had a large hole in the hull and the pump and generator ran 24 hours a day to keep the boat afloat, passengers were never told.

One afternoon the boat I was working on as a dive instructor had to moor up alongside because our engineer HAD to fix the pump is it suddenly gave up the ghost. and when I say had to fix - I mean it!!!

this was in Aust on the ' Great Barrier Reef' so dont think this is a Thai issue, just greed, which is prevalent and more obvious here - but dont think it is exclusive!

G

And why they didn't patch the hull? It's pretty easy to pour a cement box over a hole in the hull and better than relying on a bilge pump 24/7.

So they have had two boats sink.

Must have been really scary for the passengers, especially those with children.

So after the first boat sunk they learned, what?

NOTHING.....

yes! they learnt that when a boat sinks, you just have to change the company name until the next boat sinks...

Will we see this properly reported by the TV networks ? So much is deliberately concealed for fear of frightening the tourists away.

You expect this minor incident to be international news? I have a feeling you don't work in the media!

I have to agree with you since no lives have been lost and no dramatic scenes were to report.

Nothing compared to the Chinese ferry that sunk this morning: Chinese ferry sinks in Yangtze River with more than 400 missing, which is part of the international headlines.

Good job to the boat captain. No one drowned.

Good job or good luck?

In your myopic world if it's a Thai it's just luck, if it was a Farang you would commend him and want to award him a knighthood for saving so many lives with his skillful actions.

You are so ThaiVisa.

Edited by Banzai99

Maybe more inspections on passenger boats needed. They have instruments that can tell the thickness of the boats hull. But have to take out of water and do good check up. Boat owners loose money but do not care about safety! Time is money. Do these boats have any maintenance inspection records?

Good job to the boat captain. No one drowned.

Good job or good luck?

Good luck.....From the good job boat captain you won't read, because he service his boat, so there is no emergency just boring job.

Somchai replace the bearing, Somchai replace the hose, Somchai there is a small leak find it.....

Hi,

can you talk about point 1 a little more? Why are mini vans a no-no?

Do they have accidents often?

cheers

Edited by Kwic