The Purrfect Bike for Thailand.

bobfish

I have ridden up Suthep Doi Pui on the road and descended down to Huay Tung Tao on my Tricross with 700 x 32 tyres. Some tricky bits where the trail had been washed out but all done safely. Just riding my bike for pleasure not trying to break any speed records.

For downhill riding, there are a number of trails on Doi Pui that can be tackled with a hardtail bike. With growing technical skill, this number will grow.

Cheers, CM-Expat

Eagle is an unmade road, if they can drive it in a pickup, we can do it on a road bike.

Gee House, in the MTB club I ride with, a young Thai guy and I are the only ones with hardtails, we walk half the way down, the others ride.

No other route down I would even attempt without full suspension.

Plenty of cross country trails though, 700 year to Huay Tung Tao to Sala Cafe on the Army route, totally doable.

Rocks and roots, you ain't gonna manage it on a hardtail (and walking is cheating).

For downhill riding, there are a number of trails on Doi Pui that can be tackled with a hardtail bike. With growing technical skill, this number will grow.

Cheers, CM-Expat

Eagle is an unmade road, if they can drive it in a pickup, we can do it on a road bike.

Gee House, in the MTB club I ride with, a young Thai guy and I are the only ones with hardtails, we walk half the way down, the others ride.

Plenty of cross country trails though, 700 year to Huay Tung Tao to Sala Cafe on the Army route, totally doable.

Rocks and roots, you ain't gonna manage it on a hardtail (and walking is cheating).

I don't this route so I might be wrong, but I can't think of any situation that a full suspension can do that a bike without suspension could not do at slower speed. On slow way down what is the problem without suspension? You can't go fast over heavy stones, but slow?

Cheers, CM-Expat

I don't this route so I might be wrong, but I can't think of any situation that a full suspension can do that a bike without suspension could not do at slower speed. On slow way down what is the problem without suspension? You can't go fast over heavy stones, but slow?

Can't go slow, most of the CM downhills you still slide down with the wheels locked.

Steep and covered in leaves and pine needles, with roots, rocks and ruts under.

Cheers, CM-Expat

Can't go slow, most of the CM downhills you still slide down with the wheels locked.

Steep and covered in leaves and pine needles, with roots, rocks and ruts under.

OK, I never tried a downhill that is covered with sliding parts.....

This mornings run, guy on the left had unmarked legs when he started.

post-233622-0-37835500-1433603951_thumb.

I cycled up the road to Wat Doi Suthep instead ....... ATV trail is way too steep for me.

post-233622-0-37218900-1433604043_thumb.

attachicon.gif11108388_1120186234664722_3883480870050834634_n.jpg

I cycled up the road to Wat Doi Suthep instead ....... ATV trail is way too steep for me.

attachicon.gif11390078_1120186274664718_5754075524115286262_n.jpg

Well from the photo it isn't easy to say something, but the first one looks like it might slide/step too much to go up. But for not being able to go down....I would be scared a lot to go down somewhere difficult without clipped to the pedals in jogging shoes. With the saddle down, if you slip of the pedal you would be in big troubles.....falling on the frame may make you the next ladyboy......

But I am not to judge I didn't mountainbike for a very long time.....

....I would be scared a lot to go down somewhere difficult without clipped to the pedals in jogging shoes. With the saddle down, if you slip of the pedal you would be in big troubles.....falling on the frame may make you the next ladyboy......

I've found a video to show why clip-ons and MTBs don't mix.

https://www.facebook.com/ivelocz/videos/10151847218530351/

....I would be scared a lot to go down somewhere difficult without clipped to the pedals in jogging shoes. With the saddle down, if you slip of the pedal you would be in big troubles.....falling on the frame may make you the next ladyboy......

I've found a video to show why clip-ons and MTBs don't mix.

https://www.facebook.com/ivelocz/videos/10151847218530351/

For me it is a long time ago but I never saw a single serious MTB without clips.....

I don't know what that video should tell me.....

I've found a video to show why clip-ons and MTBs don't mix. https://www.facebook.com/ivelocz/videos/10151847218530351/

This video clip doesn't say much about the pros and cons of clipless pedals, because the unfortunate rider simply lost balance, which could have happened either with or without clips.

For me it is a long time ago but I never saw a single serious MTB without clips.....

This is also not true, because there are plenty of pro-riders competing at international level who ride flat pedals. In XC races, the most riders use clipless pedals and in gravity races most riders use flat pedals.

It's a trade-off. IMHO the increased power transfer efficiency is generally not worth the reduced safety. From my own experience, I can say that the ability to put a foot on the floor within a split second can make the difference between a small slip and a full OTB crash (not in the above video, though).

The gains in power transfer efficiency with clipless pedals are commonly overstated. Yes, being attached to the pedals makes better use of the tangential forces shortly before and after the push phase and it keeps the foot fixed in its optimal position. But we are talking about a tiny percentage of the total power transferred to the drivetrain. Moreover, good flat pedals with screws in combination with a soft sole give you a pretty solid grip/attachment to the pedal as well.

So, personally I would use clipless pedals only for road riding or MTB riding on non-technical terrain.

Cheers, CM-Expat

Hm, these photos look sort of familiar. biggrin.png

The first one was taken after just a few hundred metres down ATV trail, so I guess nobody was hurt at the time. The second photo was taken shortly after one rider crashed in the rock garden, which produced quite a few bruises. He visited the hospital later.

The trail was dry and in good condition. I think the accident was caused by going too fast into the rock garden, which may or may not have been a consequence of the rim brakes not being able to cope with the steep slope.

Cheers, CM-Expat

I've found a video to show why clip-ons and MTBs don't mix. https://www.facebook.com/ivelocz/videos/10151847218530351/

This video clip doesn't say much about the pros and cons of clipless pedals, because the unfortunate rider simply lost balance, which could have happened either with or without clips.

This is also not true, because there are plenty of pro-riders competing at international level who ride flat pedals. In XC races, the most riders use clipless pedals and in gravity races most riders use flat pedals.

It's a trade-off. IMHO the increased power transfer efficiency is generally not worth the reduced safety. From my own experience, I can say that the ability to put a foot on the floor within a split second can make the difference between a small slip and a full OTB crash (not in the above video, though).

The gains in power transfer efficiency with clipless pedals are commonly overstated. Yes, being attached to the pedals makes better use of the tangential forces shortly before and after the push phase and it keeps the foot fixed in its optimal position. But we are talking about a tiny percentage of the total power transferred to the drivetrain. Moreover, good flat pedals with screws in combination with a soft sole give you a pretty solid grip/attachment to the pedal as well.

So, personally I would use clipless pedals only for road riding or MTB riding on non-technical terrain.

Cheers, CM-Expat

Really...Interesting when I went with the MTB, it was an absolute must to have clips....But we also needed to have the smallest tires with 11 bar for the road bike, so thinks are changing......

The point of being fixed to the pedal was also to not slip of the pedal.....If you go down somewhere with the saddle down, leaning back you would easily slip of the pedal I think, or when racing over rough area.....at least that was the point 15-20 years ago

What are they doing with the cable to the back brake?

Not only that, it doesn't know if it's a Cannondale or Pinarello, 7500 baht gets you this amazing bike, maybe it's suitable for your trainer? ;-)

Didn't notice that giggle.gif

7500 Baht only? I take the critical posting back....for 7500 it looks very nice and I love the cable to the brake.....

Google doesn't even know a Cannello webpage.....

That cable routing is a Cannello trade mark. When the bars are set up like that i always wonder how you brake when you are on the drops? I would always go with the cheapest Giant, Trek, Merida over a Cannello type bike. If thats all i could afford i would test ride it and make sure it can be ridden no hands.

Okay, and since we've done disc vs rim brakes to death smile.png ,, I thought I'd get some opinions on shifters:

I've just had my first experience of Di2 shifting on a rental [spesh Tarmac] over around 80km with 1300m+ climbing. Not ONE [1] missed shift! Unbelievable. Prior to this ride I thought electric shifting was Pro only BS, not for the casual enthusiast. No longer; my next roadbike will definitely have it.

Sh*t I'm a convert. n+1: how long can I put it off???rolleyes.gif

Okay, and since we've done disc vs rim brakes to death smile.png ,, I thought I'd get some opinions on shifters:

I've just had my first experience of Di2 shifting on a rental [spesh Tarmac] over around 80km with 1300m+ climbing. Not ONE [1] missed shift! Unbelievable. Prior to this ride I thought electric shifting was Pro only BS, not for the casual enthusiast. No longer; my next roadbike will definitely have it.

I love my Di2 on my Trek Domane. If anything I shift too often now because it is so easy and every shift is perfect. I am sure you will love it once you get it.

When I saw the now normal indexed shifting on the brakes I thought surely it is more hassle as I was sure the shifting won't be exact and you have to push a bit in one direction and get bad sound.

Than I was so surprised that there is just minor sound from the gear. Later on I figured out there is no sound at all if I adjust it and not Probike (I don't waste any opportunity to bash them for their bad service).

I of course think (thought) that the Di2 is nonsense, need battery, is heavier, is a overkill etc etc.......and I might be again wrongfacepalm.gif Maybe time to come out of my cave and recognize that the stoneage is over.....

Question, can you switch more than one gear quickly, if you need to go up or down 2-3 steps fast?

Any issues with the battery?

Do you still have a cable or does it go somehow wireless?

Not one missed shift is really impressing me...

When I saw the now normal indexed shifting on the brakes I thought surely it is more hassle as I was sure the shifting won't be exact and you have to push a bit in one direction and get bad sound.

Than I was so surprised that there is just minor sound from the gear. Later on I figured out there is no sound at all if I adjust it and not Probike (I don't waste any opportunity to bash them for their bad service).

I of course think (thought) that the Di2 is nonsense, need battery, is heavier, is a overkill etc etc.......and I might be again wrongfacepalm.gif Maybe time to come out of my cave and recognize that the stoneage is over.....

Question, can you switch more than one gear quickly, if you need to go up or down 2-3 steps fast?

Di2 still has wires, and yes you can program it to shift several gears at once as well, you can even add additional switches as well so you can shift from the top of the bars (called climbers switch).

If you want wireless, then you'll have to wait for SRAMs new wireless electronic group set, due for release the backend of this year apparently.

I also want Di2, waiting for a decent discount on a duraace di2 conversion kit for the justification to the missus ;-) I'd like to be able to swap between race and training wheels without having to adjust the rear dérailleur, which I am told is another major plus point of electronic shifters.

Di2 still has wires, and yes you can program it to shift several gears at once as well, you can even add additional switches as well so you can shift from the top of the bars (called climbers switch).

If you want wireless, then you'll have to wait for SRAMs new wireless electronic group set, due for release the backend of this year apparently.

I also want Di2, waiting for a decent discount on a duraace di2 conversion kit for the justification to the missus ;-) I'd like to be able to swap between race and training wheels without having to adjust the rear dérailleur, which I am told is another major plus point of electronic shifters.

Well I won't switch to the Di2 any time soon, no free budget for that at the moment. I am still amazed how well the Shimano 105 works. And considering that I am most of the time in stinking Bangkok office unable to ride it really doesn't justify it.

But still it is amazing for a technician...

A mountain bike with electronic shifting is like a fish with a bicycle.

Cheers, CM-Expat

I'm guessing your not hankering after the XTR Di2 then - with [wait for it...] 'Syncroshift' ??blink.png

Me either. Apparently something was lost in translation; Shimano mispelt it: the f [ing] should be at the beginning ...

BTW: .... easy on the Fish/Bicycle analogies biggrin.png. Please.

I'm guessing your not hankering after the XTR Di2 then - with [wait for it...] 'Syncroshift' ??blink.png

Me either. Apparently something was lost in translation; Shimano mispelt it: the f [ing] should be at the beginning ...

BTW: .... easy on the Fish/Bicycle analogies biggrin.png. Please.

Oh, XTR is nice... but without the Di2 please.

If I were keen on trying out new technologies, I'd probably go with a pinion gearbox instead of a conventional drivetrain. But I am currently not.

Cheers, CM-Expat

Archived