What raw meats can I feed my goldens?

Hey All,

I have two goldens, one Leo very large and henched (not fat but really getting fit and muscly)...

I am generally feeding Leo the large dog a full kg of meat dog food (usually pedigree or the austrlian brand i forget the name of) mixed in with Australian dog dry biscuits which he loves, he also gets cooked pork etc if the wife makes too much or something, they eat like kings basically compared to the Thai dogs..

I have been very occasionally giving them a slight shave and keeping them fully away from mozzies (we light dog smoke coils for them in the night) and front line is just about keeping ticks away now,

I have been taking him running every day as he chases me on my bike and he is really starting to get some muscle on him, I have read on the net about some people feeding them raw chickens/pork etc but I dont fancy that with the bones and possible chocking, plus I am not too clued up on the health implications. I am going to start giving him cod liver oil daily as of tomorrow but I was wondering what raw meat I could give especially the large Leo as a treat occasionally, we have thai butchers with some pretty rough looking meat dangling on the road side lol here and also tescos etc,... what would you say will be best for them?

Lea my smaller younger lab is quite happy with her smaller meat based dog food and the occasional nibble on the biscuits but she is also starting to fill out, really I would like to go to a thai butchers and buy them a slab of some kind of raw meats as I read it is healthy for them occasionally plus it's another good training tool. I am not too sure on wether Lea will enjoy it or not as she is quite a fussy odd eater even with normal dog foods.

Also, I read alot about not feeding them raw meat so I am a little confused, although I would have thought raw meat as opposed to the current processed pedigree chump etc is more healthy?

Any of you guys feed your dogs raw meat and if so what and where from?

Thanks in advance

Personally, I wouldn't feed my dogs raw meat because of the risk of them picking up tapeworms or some other parasite, or simply getting food poisoning. I always boil meat for a few minutes before giving it to them. However, their main food is commercial dry food since it's nutritionally balanced; meat I only give as a small extra treat.

Something else that works well, again as a treat, is liver jerky. Slice cow liver thinly and dry in a single layer in a very low oven for a few hours until totally dry. Dogs love it. Keep in fridge after cooking.

We buy 'boon guy' (chicken brisket) sometimes as cheap as ฿18.-/Kg, at Makro, 10 to 20 Kg at a time. Every morning my wife chops them up, a messy job, and cooks them. Only really doable if you have an outside cooking facility. There are other cuts in Makro that are cheap. My wife was a bit confused when I asked her why she always cooked the meat, but said everyone does that because raw meat makes them aggressive.

me having been a greyhound trainer i have always tried to give them the best.

our beloved gets,caulli,brocli,carrots,chicken[thigh and leg,beef] boiled for 1hr.and 2hrs. smart heart beef steak flavour.dont get the roast beef flavour it goes through mine like a dose of salts.and i give him 1nutri master fish oil tab 1000mg.

and he loves his home made ice cream[FROSTY PAWS] banana,peanut butter and fat free yogut. and banana,pineapple,a little peanut butter and yogut.

i to would never give them raw meat.

As usual thanks for the helpful replies,

I guess I should have slightly re-worded my post into as a treat not so much full raw diet...

I got some pork belly strips from tescos as a treat for them (Leo has just has his mellons cut off so give the man a break) bit fatty but looks like good quality and boneless, I was going to sling them a strip each after 10 minutes in the oven, good replies.. I read so much info on youtube on raw feeding and alot of knowledgeable breeders yet so much conflicting information, I would say that general overall like you lot say is best to boil or give it a slight cook on a raw diet. I guess also in Thailand we have different meat standards too.

I get get stick from a Thai guy down at the market here because he knows I'm buying food for my dog not for me, I think sometimes he thinks I am taking the piss and treat them like royals... Leo also likes to go cruising and he gets some good laugh`s from the Thais too, hey he is one of the boys as far as Im concerned

Cheers all

20jr4b9.jpg

Also beware of to much fat on meat as this can lead to pancreaites.No raw meat for my dog either.

yes ours had a problem with chicken skin our vet said its full of fat,so as soon as its cooked out of the liquid and skin taken off.we have a good supplier of beef for our dog even we eat it,but they found out we gave it to our dog and tried to palm the wife off with rubbish,the wife told her where to stick it.

as for those treats sometimes i wonder what the hell goes into them,i mostly buy the sleeky range,some of pedigree snacks are loaded with salt.

try the home made doggy ice cream they love it.

I give my dogs a raw food diet for almost 15 years now. They thrive well on it, and no issues with aggression as a result of eating raw meat .

Dogs getting aggressive from eating raw meat has no scientific back-up. But that dogs' moods are influenced by their diet is a well-known fact.
I've had a few dogs, including 2 6-weeks old puppies, with no appetite for any food due to illness, who still wanted to eat the offered raw meaty chicken bone and quail. All recovered.

As with commercial dog dry- and wet-food and preparing our own meals just normal hygiene measures and common sense is advised.
Heating changes or destroys the chemical composition of many protein, vitamin and mineral. The longer you cook/heat the meat the lower the bio-availability of the proteins.

Commercial dog food nutritionally balanced is not possible and is a myth. First science does not know all about all nutrients. So, if they don't know how can they claim it is 100% nutritional balanced.
Second, how can a diet that is the same meal after meal, not taking into account differences in breed, sexe, spayed/neutered vs. fixed, age, stresses from whatever in the environment, climate stresses, etc., be nutritional balance for all these dogs.
Third, when dog owners claim the food they gave to their dog contains all their dog needs, why do many feel the need to supplement with other food items?

There have been salmonella outbreaks in dry dog-food fed dogs.

Dogs fed on raw food diet can get worms, and so can dogs fed on commercial dog food. However, IME over the past almost 15 years the occurrence of any intestinal worms in dogs fed on a raw food diet is far lower than those fed on a commercial dog-food diet.

Chicken skin contains excellent and healthy fat. Also some chicken fat is very good for the dog. But too much fat is not good (like with everything: too much is not good ... except for cookies and mango cheese cake .... )

Feeding raw food together with kibble is not advisable, and that has to do with the different digestive enzymes a body makes for grains and for meat, same as in humans. An individual will not immediately die from it when given together, but for a better digestion it is advisable to give these food items separately.

if you're not comfortable giving raw meat, boil or steam the meat for up to 5 minutes. messy? buy minced meat from supermarket, divide to small portions, freeze them and boil one portion at a time. mix with chopped vegetables for natural fiber. add some carrot or broccoli for better eye sight when they enter old age. too much work? put all veggies in food processor, either mix them with meat and freeze together or add to boiled meat and serve.

based on my experience and knowledge in vet med, commercial dry food is not healthy for your pets, especially for male pets. male pets have higher risk of UTI (urinary tract infection) when given dry food for a long time.

dry food is not as nutritious as natural food, and that's why the company always load the product with vitamins because basically there's nothing inside. it tastes good for the animals and convenient for the owners, but not the best.

"balanced nutrition" is only a marketing trick. each dog has different need of nutrition intake. what is best for your dog may not be the best for other dogs and vice versa.

hope it helps!

I gave raw chicken meat quite regularly and raw beef occasionally, to all my larger breeds namely GSD's, Husky, Rottweiler, Retriever, Pitbull and my two Bangkeaws.

Though not while they are puppies, as the bone shards could caused medical implications.

My oldest is13 years of age now, and thus far I have experienced no adverse effects nor seen any increase in aggression.

My smaller breeds such as the Miniature American Eskimo, Shitzus, Maltese and Pomeranian were given raw diet too, albeit in bite sized pieces.

They relished it!

2 years ago, I was fortunate enough to have the opportunity to visit an online Dog Community friend in Dalat, Vietnam.

She have 3 Siberian Huskies and 2 Alaskan Malamute with the most beautiful and shiniest coat I've ever seen. Yes, she fed them raw diets too.

Her secret, is to add a tablespoon of coconut oil. She added crushed garlic during the hot and humid seasons as tick deterrent.

Since then I've been doing the same. It really does give their coats that healthy shine and lush to feel.

The garlic had since taken over the role of Frontline :)

Here's the link for dosage to administer: http://www.petguide.com/health/dog/the-shocking-truth-about-dogs-and-garlic/

Cheers

Edited by WhoWhenWhyWhat

She added crushed garlic during the hot and humid seasons as tick deterrent.

From the ASPCA's web page "Foods That Are Hazardous to Dogs"

"All close members of the onion family (shallots, onions, garlic, scallions, etc.) contain compounds that can damage dogs’ red blood cells if ingested in sufficient quantities. A rule of thumb is “the stronger it is, the more toxic it is.” Garlic tends to be more toxic than onions, on an ounce-for-ounce basis."

https://www.aspca.org/pet-care/virtual-pet-behaviorist/dog-behavior/foods-are-hazardous-dogs

Hahaha...of course, AyG! If we were to go on, we'll be soon posting links after links to claim and refute each other.

It's a choice I make and a learned one. Its a PERSONAL choice! Have a good day.

Cheers

I simply posted the information. I deliberately didn't pass judgement on the fact that you are taking a stupid risk by feeding your dog something that is known to be potentially harmful to dogs. It may be a personal choice, but it's a stupid one. I trust you don't consider yourself an animal lover.

Hahaha...of course, AyG! If we were to go on, we'll be soon posting links after links to claim and refute each other.

It's a choice I make and a learned one. Its a PERSONAL choice! Have a good day.

Cheers

I simply posted the information. I deliberately didn't pass judgement on the fact that you are taking a stupid risk by feeding your dog something that is known to be potentially harmful to dogs. It may be a personal choice, but it's a stupid one. I trust you don't consider yourself an animal lover.

There you go!...lol. Apparently, you will never have a good day without passing judgement or call someone stupid...hahaha.

It's really pathetic!

My apologies OP, I'll stopped getting lured into this post hijacked by a Googling qualified expert.

Cheers

Edited by WhoWhenWhyWhat

There you go!...lol. Apparently, you will never have a good day without passing judgement or call someone stupid...hahaha.

It's really pathetic!

My apologies OP, I'll stopped getting lured into this post hijacked by a Googling qualified expert.

Cheers

No apologies needed mate, I get conflicting evidence through-out the internet and on this forum, I would not for one second call you stupid, and you clearly love your dogs. I have been told not to do things in the past, and ignored them only for it to turn out for the best... take everything with a pinch of salt me. Yet, I probably will not feed them raw on this specific for now however I would not fully rule it out.

What we feed our dogs is a tough one, we all want it to be healthy and tasty right? that's an animal lover right there.

Anyway, I am no one to judge anything I just go by my own experiences.... but as above just come here for advise which I usually get and am greatfull for, calling people stupid etc is ridiculous and contributes nothing to a serious debate... but hey I have been called stupid on here for less and really, 0 s**ts given to be quite frank.

Edited by ryanhull

Yeah...I'm a newbie here and my reply to your post was not meant to suggest the best answer or remedy. Just what I gave MY dogs with regards to your question and not asserting for it to be adopted.

We all want the best for our furry friends, myself included. But we all have our inclinations, predilections, and partial to a given method.

There's no such thing as, "my way is the only way, and the right way"...hahaha.

But boy, this TV forum's full of 'Witch Hunters' and 'Sheriffs', ready to 'burn' you at the stake or 'hang you'...lol.

But there are genuine dog lovers here, too. So I'll try to ignore the former...hahaha.

Cheers mate!

eah...I'm a newbie here and my reply to your post was not meant to suggest the best answer or remedy. Just what I gave MY dogs with regards to your question and not asserting for it to be adopted.

We all want the best for our furry friends, myself included. But we all have our inclinations, predilections, and partial to a given method.

There's no such thing as, "my way is the only way, and the right way"...hahaha.

But boy, this TV forum's full of 'Witch Hunters' and 'Sheriffs', ready to 'burn' you at the stake or 'hang you'...lol.

But there are genuine dog lovers here, too. So I'll try to ignore the former...hahaha.

Cheers mate!

Pinch of salt mate, alot of good peeps on here, alot of bell ends too... I remember someone giving me grief for asking for the Bangkok SWIFT number for my wife... 'oh you have no right to ask your WIFE that, its like asking for her pin number'.... bare in mind what I was asking for is an open thing to anyone and its my wife lol

Ignore the nob ends, the sorted lads on here over-shine them.

Cheers

Edited by ryanhull

Have 3 American bullies who are on a complete raw diet, i usually buy pork lungs which are low fat and high protein i also buy chicken carcasses both these are about 20 baht per kilo. To the meat i add a small oily fish, garlic, oregano (antioxidant ) vegetable oil, lemon juice (mosquito repellent ) and EM effective microorganisms to aid digestion and also to reduce meat odour if not eaten straight away. Don't worry about chicken bones they are soft and only become a problem if cooked as they can splinter. Tinned dog food is about 70 % water and very expensive the dry food is fully of fillers like cereals which a dog does not require in its diet. And I worm my dogs often to be on the safe side, any waste meat goes in my pond for my alligator gar fish

My 9 year old Brittany Spaniel has been on a minced (ground), lean, raw chicken diet since birth. I augment the diet somewhat, even add in some lean ground beef. And of course she begs for some of my food so I give her tiny little bits.

She is strong, healthy, full of play and looks like a pup (but a bit overweight, ha ha).

Raw diets are growing in popularity and are believed to be very healthy.

From the ASPCA's web page "Foods That Are Hazardous to Dogs"

"All close members of the onion family (shallots, onions, garlic, scallions, etc.) contain compounds that can damage dogs’ red blood cells if ingested in sufficient quantities. A rule of thumb is “the stronger it is, the more toxic it is.” Garlic tends to be more toxic than onions, on an ounce-for-ounce basis."

https://www.aspca.org/pet-care/virtual-pet-behaviorist/dog-behavior/foods-are-hazardous-dogs

I used to give my labs two huge heaping tablespoons of minced garlic from Sam's Club and they loved it and never had any problems and lived long healthy lives.

If I was lazy and didn't put garlic in their food, they would come back to as if to say something was wrong. After adding garlic and mixing it up, they gobbled it down.

I don't believe garlic is bad for a dog one bit!

I used to give my labs two huge heaping tablespoons of minced garlic from Sam's Club and they loved it and never had any problems and lived long healthy lives.

If I was lazy and didn't put garlic in their food, they would come back to as if to say something was wrong. After adding garlic and mixing it up, they gobbled it down.

I don't believe garlic is bad for a dog one bit!

People make claims or rejects certain things simply by being biased or for the lacked of informations.

I don't really propagate my choice but we should all have an open mind, and do a thorough research before taking the plunge.

Balance is core! A read on one negative study doesn't justifies knowledge and to be educated does not necessarily means learned.

Well, you know better and had a much longer experience than I do. It further solidifies my choice of being correct. But still...lol.

To each their own, I must say. :)

Hey All,

I followed some advise from a friend on here who knows his stuff...

Anyway I ended up buying this from tescos, defrosting it and adding a spoon full of olive oil mixed in. Lea my smaller lab is funny about any food and quite fussy about what she eats, whos watching her when she eats and if my bigger dog Leo is around she can sometimes have a nibble and walk away, shes an odd one... anyway I fed them this meat:

1z6s741.jpg

They went absolutely mental for it, Lea ete it like I have never seen her even eat a proper cooked pork sausage, it was gone almost instantly, she was even trying to eat the bowl.... she didn't care who was watching or if Leo was near by, it was just like in her mind 'THIS IS MINE, ALL MINE, DO NOT COME NEAR MY FOOD' and she was looking at me as if to say can I have some more? bare in mind they had already eaten a bit through-out the day of the standard dog food/biscuits....

So I will go stock up on this stuff today, not as an everyday food but certainly as a treat, and as Lea is so fussy with food (even the best brands) its good for her as she is growing to be eating properly.

To feed raw or not, I can recommend that stuff.

Cheers

My strange fussy dogs, now wont touch the stuff! they have decided they like 'Alpo Dog Food' now, to be fair as far as dog food goes it does look good quality meat in gravy, I mix it in with some 'Alpo' dog biscuits and they love it, been on it for the last week.... my dogs are strange, they'll wolf something down one day, then you try feeding them exacly the same the next day and they will turn there noses up at it... oh and trust 'Alpo' to be the most expensive dog food in Tescos!

I dont want to keep changing there diet to rapidly, but then again I understand why they might get bored with the same food everyday, I would too.

I occasionally give them a tin of good quality tuna each, (mixed in with some biscuits) only as a treat and rarely but they go mad for that but I hear it isn't a great diet for them so maybe only once a month now.

They are like royalty my two Goldens now, I am starting to wonder if they lead a more relaxing life than myself! they have there own outdoor fan and this is them getting in there Jacuzzi I made up for them... they just hop in when its too hot lol

qpqonk.jpg