Keeping the lottery price at Bt80 is not the winning solution

webfact

STREET WISE
Keeping the lottery price at Bt80 is not the winning solution

Achara Deboonme

BANGKOK: -- Growing up in a small town about 500 kilometres from Bangkok, I encountered all kinds of gambling that have long existed in Thai society.

My late father enjoyed a weekly card game with a friend. However, the idea was to have fun, not to make a killing: the game might last for hours but usually won or lost no more than Bt200.

On the day that the government lottery results were to be announced, a friend of the family would stop by on her motorcycle. She would start the conversation by asking my father about his health and daily activities. After a short chat, she would ask if he had any numbers in mind, something that would win him a prize. My father always ended up spending a tiny sum buying two-digit or three-digit numbers from her. He wasn't a gambler, he just wanted to help her make a living.

There were many others like her in our neighbourhood, selling tickets which were "tied" to the government lottery. They acted as agents for the kingpin, who paid out the winnings from his large pool of cash. I never heard of a winner being cheated, so the agents were trusted by customers.

There's no doubt that the two- and three-digit numbers were an object of excitement for the adults in the neighbourhood. On the days leading up to the twice-monthly draw, they would spend each morning recalling dreams - or asking their kids if no dreams had arrived. Subjects in the dreams were translated into numbers. If you dreamt about a dead man (or if a famous person had passed away), it was their age that mattered. But you had to deduct one year, as they were deceased. I didn't quite understand the logic, but it was fun listening to how they constructed their theories.

In the days before the lottery results were to be announced, the number discussions would rage everywhere from markets to beauty salons. When the afternoon came, all ears were glued to the radio as the results came through.

The connection between illegal numbers and the government lottery still amazes me today. While illicit gamblers bought numbers based on their dreams and superstition, government lotteries were picked in a very systematic way, with people selecting from numbered balls.

In my neighbourhood, the official lottery was attractive only to those who didn't understand the "special" logic of those who favoured the two- and three-digit draw. For the latter group, lotteries were nothing but a regular opportunity to make your fortune.

This continues today, and the fortune can be very large indeed - every baht you invest in an illicit two-digit number could win you Bt100. A winning three-digit number brings an even more impressive Bt500. And just like previous generations, today's lottery players quickly forget the money they have lost in previous rounds.

Their excitement is boosted by reports of individuals winning millions. But they realise that to win such jackpots requires huge investment.

Official Thai lottery tickets come in a package: two chances to win bundled together, at the nominal price of Bt80. As the top prize for each is Bt3 million, the package could theoretically land you the Bt6 million prize. But with over 40 million tickets produced each round, the odds are astronomically long. For a chance to win over Bt100 million, you need to buy a suite of more than 10 tickets.

That stake is huge compared to what you need to invest in underground numbers. The illegal business apparently fits Thailand, where gambling is ingrained and where the (legal) minimum wage is just Bt300 per day. How many labourers would be able to spend Bt1,000 for the government lottery in hope of winning the big prize? While the rich bet in the stock market or through other investments, only the middle-class is left as the main customers of the government lottery.

As such, the complaints about overpricing of lottery tickets seem strange. You can't find lottery tickets at the nominal price anywhere. Dealers attribute that to transportation costs. In front of my office on Bangna-Trat Road, less than 10km from the Government Lottery Office, they are sold at Bt100. If transport is the issue, we might assume that it tickets would cost more in the provinces.

It's even stranger to listen to governments (elected or otherwise) promising to keep the prices as advertised. The promises require officials to craft alternatives. In March the junta proposed amending a 1974 law to pave the way for lottery vending machines. Soon after the proposed changes became news, traditional vendors launched protests. To my surprise, the association advocating rights for disabled people said that selling lottery tickets was the only profession available to the disabled. This has been said for decades despite the fact that the private sector is offering more jobs to those with disabilities.

Vending machines are a good alternative for selling tickets, but the benefits depend on where they are installed. The idea of placing them only at convenience stores would kill any benefits. How would it benefit those with disabilities who earn their living selling lottery numbers? Will vending machines really kill off the underground lottery, given the price differences between the official and the illicit versions?

Overpriced lottery tickets are now firmly on the reform agenda. In vowing to bring down the price to Bt80, Prime Minister Prayut Chan-o-cha shows he understands that lotteries are a ray of hope to the poor. But for real and beneficial change, he should revisit the idea of two-digit and three-digit vending machines, which better fit Thai culture. And how about vending machines in front of the houses of people with disabilities?

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/opinion/Keeping-the-lottery-price-at-Bt80-is-not-the-winni-30261399.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2015-06-02

After seeing how the system is run in the UK where you can win millions of pounds by buying a one pound ticket, (and a load of money still manages to go to charity) I was amazed when my Thai friends told me the jackpot here was only 3 million baht (60,000 pounds) for a 2 pound ticket.

There must be some serious cash being made by someone. They should develop a computerized system and sell them over the till at 7-11. Extra funds raised could go to help projects for the needy. It would also reduce the amount being siphoned off by the current murky system, which is exactly the reason it will never happen.

Just got back from Las Vegas and need to win some Thai money. Lost Wages, Nevada doesn't allow you to walk away with their money easily. I may have enough left to buy a Thai ticket; I'll check my pocket change.

After seeing how the system is run in the UK where you can win millions of pounds by buying a one pound ticket, (and a load of money still manages to go to charity) I was amazed when my Thai friends told me the jackpot here was only 3 million baht (60,000 pounds) for a 2 pound ticket.

There must be some serious cash being made by someone. They should develop a computerized system and sell them over the till at 7-11. Extra funds raised could go to help projects for the needy. It would also reduce the amount being siphoned off by the current murky system, which is exactly the reason it will never happen.

+1

With a population of around 65,000,000 even if only 1,000,000 tickets were sold which I believe is a very low estimate that's still 80,000,000B and with such low payouts it sure seems like a ripoff too me.

Seems that the Authorities do not understand the meaning of " LEGAL TENDER."

The Thai Baht with the words LEGAL TENDER for 100 Baht is not able to buy a lottery with the printed face value of 80 Baht.

What a joke!.

Vending machines ( online lotto ) be it 2-digit or 3-digit or 4-digit, is the ONLY way to deal with OVERPRICE, CORRUPTION,

FREEDOM to select own number, moving towards DIGITAL AGE ( computerized ), EMPLOYMENT for the DISABILITIES

either to manned counter of independent lottery shops or co-owned to run their own lottery shops, great SAVINGS and

MORE CONTROL with smaller Government manpower running the lottery, ACCOUNTABILITY on how the extra funds

raised are channel to community projects, etc.

Indirectly having vending machines, there will be more funds available to increase the Jackpot and winning tickets because

it will increase productivity and GLO spend lesser in employing more people to monitor current system.

All the developed or developing countries that has lottery / lotto, are using vending machines for ages...definitely you can't

go wrong emulating them. Of course, such major revamp will initially affect some people on short term but on long term,

a WIN-WIN formula for the people and Government......

I see more normal folks selling lottery tickets than disabled folks. So clearly the disabled argument is not valid. Perhaps places like 7-11 should provide the disabled with like a cashier job. I've seen in Taiwan where the 7-11 there hires a lot of high functioning special need adults, its a quite common occurrence 1 out of 10 stores you will spot one manning a cashier.