Pattaya passenger boat catches fire

Thaivisa News

Pattaya, Chon Buri:- A two-deck ferry between Koh Lan and Pattaya caught fire in the Pattaya sea Monday afternoon, a day after a passenger boat sank near the island. All 102 Chinese tourists on the ferry were safely evacuated by speed boats.

Sanit Boonmachai, a member of the Pattaya City Council, said the accident happened shortly before 3:30 pm when he was alerted of it.

post-87022-0-10099900-1433207269_thumb.j

[Photo credit: Manager Online]

He was told that the Rung-aroon 2 boat caught fire at its engine room while the boat was midway to Pattaya after it received 102 Chinese tourists from Koh Lan. Sanit then alerted the Sawang Boribun Pattaya Foundation and operators of speed boats to rush to rescue the tourists.

About 15 speed boats rescued the tourists and delivered them to the Pattya pier. Fire fighters managed to put out the fire shortly after the tourists were evacuated.

Sutthipong Boonmachay, an official of the foundation, said the fire was apparently caused by the overheating of the boat's exhaust pipe at the engine room. He said police have yet to investigate the cause of the fire. Police will also interrogate the skipper, Somyot Chalalai, 47.

On Sunday, a passenger boat sank shortly after it left Koh Lan for Pattaya with 82 passengers, who were rescued by two passenger boats. The boat sank slowly after water gushed into its bottom.

The Harbor Department's Pattaya office ordered the salvation of the sunk boat to check the cause of the accident so that the office would come up with safety measures to prevent similar incidents.

A major disaster concerning tourists is one day going to happen! Not if but when.

As I recall around 8 people died (maybe more as the final figure never came out) early last year when a boat hit some rocks and sank after leaving Koh Lan...........major distaster at the time-lessons never seem to be learned facepalm.gif

Pattaya Island Ferry Engine Fire, 102 Chinese Tourists escape unhurt

fire-1.jpg

PATTAYA: -- The 2nd ferry incident in 48 hours occurred in the middle of Pattaya Bay at 1.30pm on Monday as a fire occurred in the engine room of a Pattaya Island ferry carrying 102 Chinese Tourists.

A major emergency was declared which triggered responses by the Royal Thai Navy, Pattaya Sea Rescue Unit and any boats in the vicinity. A total of 10 boats were on-scene within minutes of the first reports of fire on the ferry.

The boat called “Lung Orawan 2” was evacuated and everyone was accounted for, including the crew and 102 Chinese Tourists who were travelling from Pattaya to Larn Island.

Some of the crew members remained on-board and quickly brought the fire under-control. The captain of the vessel, Khun Somyot aged 47, blamed the extremely high temperatures being experienced in Pattaya at this time for overheating his engine.

Full story: http://pattayaone.net/pattaya-news/199219/pattaya-island-ferry-engine-fire-102-chinese-tourists-escape-unhurt/

pattaya-one.jpg
-- Pattaya One 2015-06-02

I was on one of the large boats a few years ago on the return trip from Koh Larn to Pattaya... and we were moving so slowly from the start that it seemed strange... then still within about 500 meters from shore we kind of stopped moving although the engines kept running. There was some quiet communication between the captain on his radio and then a sister boat (same size and full of passengers) made a U-turn and came back to get us and tow us to Pattaya. Took at least a couple hours as I recall. Thais were remarkably well behaved and tolerant. Not enough seats, hotter than hell, no refreshments but no mutiny.

The captain of the vessel, Khun Somyot aged 47, blamed the extremely high temperatures being experienced in Pattaya at this time for overheating his engine.

It might be the direct cause of the fire, but the boats should not use engines prone to overheating in hot climate in the first place.

These boats should be subject to a thorough yearly technical inspection in addition to a safety inspection.

The danger potential of these boats between Pattaya and Koh Larn is thankfully not as high as high seas ferries, due to the proximity of the coast and the high number of other vessels nearby at all times.

Wasn't there a report only a few days ago that an investigation in the pricing of Koh Larn tickets was to be launched?

May be some boat owners who want to "sell" their boat to the insurance company before they are forced out of business?

The captain of the vessel, Khun Somyot aged 47, blamed the extremely high temperatures being experienced in Pattaya at this time for overheating his engine.

It might be the direct cause of the fire, but the boats should not use engines prone to overheating in hot climate in the first place.

These boats should be subject to a thorough yearly technical inspection in addition to a safety inspection.

The danger potential of these boats between Pattaya and Koh Larn is thankfully not as high as high seas ferries, due to the proximity of the coast and the high number of other vessels nearby at all times.

my guess Diesel leaked on the overheated engine from several decade old hoses....

These boats need inspecting by qualified marine surveyors, or at least RTN engineers.

My guess is they are afraid to do this as it will create another problem, the Islands depends upon those boats...

But surly can not the RTN step in while the boats are being upgraded?

Did they not have some WWII landing craft donated by the Americans?

Silly me... they sank them a few years ago.gigglem.gif

These boats need inspecting by qualified marine surveyors, or at least RTN engineers.

My guess is they are afraid to do this as it will create another problem, the Islands depends upon those boats...

But surly can not the RTN step in while the boats are being upgraded?

Did they not have some WWII landing craft donated by the Americans?

Silly me... they sank them a few years ago.gigglem.gif

I would guess whoever runs these ferries has a monopoly so they can do what they want, but who knows?

I was on one of the large boats a few years ago on the return trip from Koh Larn to Pattaya... and we were moving so slowly from the start that it seemed strange... then still within about 500 meters from shore we kind of stopped moving although the engines kept running. There was some quiet communication between the captain on his radio and then a sister boat (same size and full of passengers) made a U-turn and came back to get us and tow us to Pattaya. Took at least a couple hours as I recall. Thais were remarkably well behaved and tolerant. Not enough seats, hotter than hell, no refreshments but no mutiny.

Insightful post. One could surely make the argument that Thais do remain calm under duress. I certainly don't fit into that category. I'd have been bitching and moaning for the reliability and creature comforts afforded me in my homeland. Of course, you could argue that Thais should be upset over the absolute crap they put up on a daily basis, that they are too accommodating when someone needs an ear chewed for being an idiot. Ah well. It goes round and round, doesn't it?

"The captain of the vessel, Khun Somyot aged 47, blamed the extremely high temperatures being experienced in Pattaya at this time for overheating his engine."

According to Accu Weather... Monday was the coolest day in Pattaya in weeks.

http://www.accuweather.com/en/th/pattaya/317584/may-weather/317584

In fact the boat engine has accumulated the high temperature during a week.

"The captain of the vessel, Khun Somyot aged 47, blamed the extremely high temperatures being experienced in Pattaya at this time for overheating his engine."

According to Accu Weather... Monday was the coolest day in Pattaya in weeks.

http://www.accuweather.com/en/th/pattaya/317584/may-weather/317584

even the captain was cool in that situation,

few Chi more or less ? who would miss them ?

Roll the dice. Poor maintenance and no oversight. Busses or ferries, the stories will continue.

Thai officials are more concerned with fat envelopes and profits than safety of tourists and citizens. whistling.gif

Roll the dice. Poor maintenance and no oversight. Busses or ferries, the stories will continue.

Thai officials are more concerned with fat envelopes and profits than safety of tourists and citizens. whistling.gif

Something to do with brakes, or something like that....I guess.

Here we go again. Thats 2 in 2 days.One sank an now one catches fire.

Prob overheated coz over crowded with 102 passengers on board in very hot conditions old boat, old engine.

Receipe for diaster. But hey do the thais care. As long as they can make as much money as possible then safety comes

second.

Is it just me but from about the start of the Greek Islands eastwards across to the Pacific Ocean ferry boats are overloaded unsafe and kill thousands every year.

It is perfectly normal.

If it was happening 50 years ago and still happening now then my statement is true. Normal.

Is it just me but from about the start of the Greek Islands eastwards across to the Pacific Ocean ferry boats are overloaded unsafe and kill thousands every year.

It is perfectly normal.

If it was happening 50 years ago and still happening now then my statement is true. Normal.

No it only happens in Thailand, it's part of the culture, read ThaiVisa more, you'll get the message.

It is perfectly normal.

We went on a boat day trip from Zakynthos, after an hour or so you could here the captain singing loudly I went to have a look, he was swigging out of a Ouzo bottle with the other hand on the steering wheel!