Panicky drug couriers abandon truck with 198,000 ya baa tablets

webfact

Panicky drug couriers abandon truck with 198,000 ya baa tablets

PHAYAO: -- Apparently scared that they might get caught by police, drug couriers have dumped their pick-up truck together with a haul of 198,000 mehamphitamine tablets in a rural village Muang district of Phayao province Wednesday.

Sixty packs of ya baa were jettisoned by the couriers at a spot about three kilometers from village 3, Tambon Jampawai. Villagers who found the drug alerted their headman of the finding.

Not far away from where the drug was dumped was an abandoned pick-up truck in which 39 packs of ya baa were uncovered.

Phayao police said the truck was the same one they had been chasing but later missed it.

Several police roadblocks were set up in and around the Muang district, said the police, adding that this might be the reason which caused the drug couriers to become jumpy, to abandon their vehicle plus the drug haul and to escape.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/panicky-drug-couriers-abandon-truck-with-198000-ya-baa-tablets

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2015-06-03

Gee! And just how would the drivers have known they were being sought unless someone had warned them?

Accompanying vehicles/spotters driving ahead.

coffee1.gif

In which case they could have rerouted, saving the drugs.

They could have arranged for the spotter or a 3rd vehicle to collect the drugs after safely hiding them in the bushes.

If there was just 1 vehicle, they would have no option but to drop the drugs.

Sounds like they were tipped off to me.

Every time a story like this is released, I can't help but wonder why more countries don't follow what Portugal (and now Ecuador) do, in not making drugs illegal. Although it's far from perfect, it does seem better than a 'war on drugs' in reducing usage, and would bring the price down or maybe even cause some groups to abandon production altogether, so that there's no corruption angle to exploit, not to mention freeing up 70%+ of prison space and related overheads, as well as police resources.

Another example of 'follow the money' I guess.

Every time a story like this is released, I can't help but wonder why more countries don't follow what Portugal (and now Ecuador) do, in not making drugs illegal. Although it's far from perfect, it does seem better than a 'war on drugs' in reducing usage, and would bring the price down or maybe even cause some groups to abandon production altogether, so that there's no corruption angle to exploit, not to mention freeing up 70%+ of prison space and related overheads, as well as police resources.

Another example of 'follow the money' I guess.

Should have all been legalised years ago. There would not be half the problems they have now.

Gee! And just how would the drivers have known they were being sought unless someone had warned them?

Accompanying vehicles/spotters driving ahead.

coffee1.gif

In which case they could have rerouted, saving the drugs.

They could have arranged for the spotter or a 3rd vehicle to collect the drugs after safely hiding them in the bushes.

If there was just 1 vehicle, they would have no option but to drop the drugs.

Sounds like they were tipped off to me.

Sounds like that's what you want to believe, to reinforce your believe about crooked Thai police.

coffee1.gif

Something missing from this story....

1) couriers ditch cargo but escape with 2000....

2) couriers unknowingly ripped off by suppliers before ditching cargo...

3) police officer buys new car after seizing 99% of 200k pills...

Cast you votes, winner receives 2000 smarties.