A Meal to Remember...Pern's.

Frank James

Wow, I like Perns and will sometimes pop in there for a pint of excellent Fullers London Pride but 'good' is definitely not the word I would use to describe the Wednesday night guitar player, and mumbler.

If you want to see a good guitarist go to Cha Cha bar in Hangdong.

Isnt' Chacha a stone's throw from Airport Plaza intersection? That really isn't Hang Dong.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes Sir it is

Well, if google maps is correct, then Chacha about 750 meters south of airport plaza. So I am going to have to do something I am loathe to do and agree with Winnie. Maybe if you define Central Airport Plaza as being in Hang Dong. But most people wouldn't.

Here are the GPS coordinates of ChaCha 18.762776, 98.979062

the one thing that put me off, and i hope this doesn't offend anyone, is that there seemed to be a considerable gay farang clientele, and twice elderly farangs were openly 'smooching', petting, and giggling with very young - (17-18ish) Thai Yai boys at the table. it really put me off.

A quick Google search would tell you that it is gay owned and promoted as a gay bar/restaurant on a number of gay websites so this should be no surprise to anyone. But, I am sure nice straight people are also welcome thumbsup.gif

the one thing that put me off, and i hope this doesn't offend anyone, is that there seemed to be a considerable gay farang clientele, and twice elderly farangs were openly 'smooching', petting, and giggling with very young - (17-18ish) Thai Yai boys at the table. it really put me off.

A quick Google search would tell you that it is gay owned and promoted as a gay bar/restaurant on a number of gay websites so this should be no surprise to anyone. But, I am sure nice straight people are also welcome thumbsup.gif

Normally, straight people don't spend their time looking for bar and restaurant recommendations on gay websites. Yes, nice straight (and gay) people are welcome.

It's not like a certain bar where Hubby and I went, sat down and as we were looking at the menu, the owner came over and said we'd "probably be more comfortable at XXXXXX" mentioning another restaurant down the street. We looked around and realized it was a gay bar/restaurant, but didn't see any overt "gay action" going on at the time. Of course, we left and now have a good laugh every time we walk past the place and Hubby points out how I got myself thrown out!

I'm sure you are correct, but unfortunately it seems like in todays time, there are a lot more crooked people.....

A quick Google search would tell you that it is gay owned and promoted as a gay bar/restaurant on a number of gay websites so this should be no surprise to anyone.

While I don't eat at Pern's very often, I do think Brian is one of the nicest expats I've ever met in Chiang Mai, the food is generally decent there, and the service seems always to be very good. As to what his sexual persuasion may or may not be, I couldn't care less.

Do you, Paagai, really think that a restaurant being "gay owned" is relevant for some purpose?

Normally, straight people don't spend their time looking for bar and restaurant recommendations on gay websites.

Agreed, but they wouldn't have to. I said a quick Google search for "Pern's restaurant" will provide you that information, its not some kind of secret.

Do you, Paagai, really think that a restaurant being "gay owned" is relevant for some purpose?

Nope, absolutely not, but it seems others dowink.png I was merely replying to the comment about the gay clientele made by another poster as I have many gay friends who go to Pern's.

Normally, straight people don't spend their time looking for bar and restaurant recommendations on gay websites.

Agreed, but they wouldn't have to. I said a quick Google search for "Pern's restaurant" will provide you that information, its not some kind of secret.

Nope, absolutely not, but it seems others dowink.png I was merely replying to the comment about the gay clientele made by another poster as I have many gay friends who go to Pern's.

I repent and apologize to the PC police. Despite the fact that Pern's advertises as being a gay owned establishment, probably the other couples that we saw there are fathers with their sons.

Edited by suzannegoh

A better option for Western food in that part of town, in my opinion, is Corner Bistro which is on a soi about a block behind Salsa Kitchen and Perns, just across from the Small House Cafe. The possible downside is that it attracts a young crowd, and that might make you feel uncomfortable if you're a ThaiVisa curmudgeon. But the food, though American, is on par with that of places like Le Fourchette.

A better option for Western food in that part of town, in my opinion, is Corner Bistro which is on a soi about a block behind Salsa Kitchen and Perns, just across from the Small House Cafe. The possible downside is that it attracts a young crowd, and that might make you feel uncomfortable if you're a ThaiVisa curmudgeon. But the food, though American, is on par with that of places like Le Fourchette.

I agree. thumbsup.gif

The meatball sub there is really good and the twice fried french fries are some of the best around. Nice variety, reasonably priced, and the owner is generally there to take care of anything if there's a problem (and he's not drunk at the bar either, ahem.)

Have never been to Pern's but on account of the reviews here will be stopping by. Is there a day in the week that they close? Thanks in advance.

Mondays and they don't stay open late,shut around 10oclock ish.

thanks

Half price wine Wednesday nights.tongue.png

Since we are still on about Pern's I'll give you my own experience. This was before it changed it's name but unless I'm totally misinformed it's the the same guy and definitely the same location not too long before it became known under it's new moniker.

I ordered a Sherpards Pie and I for some reason asked multiple times it was topped with the traditional mash potatoes. I was assured it was and the waitress even went back to double check before I ordered. I even asked that for sure it wasn't topped with fried and explained I don't eat deep fried. Not sure why I had this premonition but I wanted to be clear before ordering as not to have any problem.

Out came the pie covered with deep fried potatoes. I asked for the boss and a falang man, who I presume was the owner, came over and said "I'll take care of you the next time!

NEXT TIME!?!? I was still stilling there (this time) and hadn't eaten it. Well believe me there was never a next time! I ended up eating what was under the fried potatoes was I was very hungry and had waited a while already, which amounted to 4 spoon fulls of filling, or not very filling in in this case. Paid for something I barely ate and didn't order as not only wasn't it a Shepard's Pie but not what they told me I was getting.

If Pern would like to get back to me on a pm here I'd be willing to come try again if he can convince me he actually cares.

Otherwise as the old adage goes, 1 person will talk about a good meal and 10 a bad one. And maybe even more then 10 (will read this)

Never been or heard of it before but it sounds like it may be worth a try. They claim all veggies are supplied by Doi Kham which is something that we always look for now when we go out to eat, considering there is so much pesticides and chemicals sprayed on the vegetables around here. http://cornerbistrochiangmai.com/

Edited by elektrified

Normally, straight people don't spend their time looking for bar and restaurant recommendations on gay websites. Yes, nice straight (and gay) people are welcome.

It's not like a certain bar where Hubby and I went, sat down and as we were looking at the menu, the owner came over and said we'd "probably be more comfortable at XXXXXX" mentioning another restaurant down the street. We looked around and realized it was a gay bar/restaurant, but didn't see any overt "gay action" going on at the time. Of course, we left and now have a good laugh every time we walk past the place and Hubby points out how I got myself thrown out!

I find this hard to believe that a restaurant owner would tell you you would be better off spending your moneys elsewear. I have never been to a "Gay" owned or friendly establishment in any country that was not totally open to all comers regardless of orientation.

Since we are still on about Pern's I'll give you my own experience. This was before it changed it's name but unless I'm totally misinformed it's the the same guy and definitely the same location not too long before it became known under it's new moniker.

I ordered a Sherpards Pie and I for some reason asked multiple times it was topped with the traditional mash potatoes. I was assured it was and the waitress even went back to double check before I ordered. I even asked that for sure it wasn't topped with fried and explained I don't eat deep fried. Not sure why I had this premonition but I wanted to be clear before ordering as not to have any problem.

Out came the pie covered with deep fried potatoes. I asked for the boss and a falang man, who I presume was the owner, came over and said "I'll take care of you the next time!

NEXT TIME!?!? I was still stilling there (this time) and hadn't eaten it. Well believe me there was never a next time! I ended up eating what was under the fried potatoes was I was very hungry and had waited a while already, which amounted to 4 spoon fulls of filling, or not very filling in in this case. Paid for something I barely ate and didn't order as not only wasn't it a Shepard's Pie but not what they told me I was getting.

If Pern would like to get back to me on a pm here I'd be willing to come try again if he can convince me he actually cares.

Otherwise as the old adage goes, 1 person will talk about a good meal and 10 a bad one. And maybe even more then 10 (will read this)

I seem to remember Pern's being Pern's in it's current location for quite a few years. I've been on their email list for a while and did a search. I earliest email I received that mentioned the restaurant by name was in November 2011! It was about a party being organized by a group, so I think they'd been in business for a few months, at least, by that time.

Edited by onthedarkside
inflammatory remark removed

poor perns a poster puts on a genuine comment about a nice meal,and a nice venue,and the place gets absoutley labasted b

y some pathetic comments,shepards pie one takes the biscuit though,how do you guys survive.mashed spuds in Thailand, and at a Spanish restaurant.duh.

poor perns a poster puts on a genuine comment about a nice meal,and a nice venue,and the place gets absoutley labasted b

y some pathetic comments,shepards pie one takes the biscuit though,how do you guys survive.mashed spuds in Thailand, and at a Spanish restaurant.duh.

Ehh? this has been a dandy thread, I've learned quite a bit about this Pern's place basic wrap up, some good specials in carnivore dept., 1/2 price wine nite, Jchef got no joy from his fried top pie, understandable, .....oh and they got a rainbow sticker somewhere on display. ....you can park at shell station.thumbsup.gif

So do comments about different experiences at the restaurant in question have to be approved by someone in advance? Are only positive comments permitted or should one be honest in sharing one's experience with other the TVF members, whether that experience is positive or negative?

A "Spanish" restaurant, lol.

Never been or heard of it before but it sounds like it may be worth a try. They claim all veggies are supplied by Doi Kham which is something that we always look for now when we go out to eat, considering there is so much pesticides and chemicals sprayed on the vegetables around here. http://cornerbistrochiangmai.com/

It's a fairly small place, run by a young American born Thai. Don't know about the Doi Kham thing but it sounds like something that would fit in with the owner's philosophy about quality ingredients. I'm not sure that's I'd call their menu choices "healthy" though. It is American food after all, but it's not one of those places where your arteries will clog mid-meal.

So do comments about different experiences at the restaurant in question have to be approved by someone in advance? Are only positive comments permitted or should one be honest in sharing one's experience with other the TVF members, whether that experience is positive or negative?

that's its proper name tappas bar,lol.

Not criticizing the place at all but having lived in Spain it's hardly a "Spanish restaurant" or a tapas bar! LOL

Well, the restaurant advertises itself as being a "Mediterranean" restaurant.

Self edit: showing restraint. smile.png

Edited by TheAppletons

Thanks Nancy, I guess I am misinformed as I said I might have the details wrong, thanks for the info. Maybe it had the sane name but was before they changed the concept to a Mediterranean and a wine bar. But the point of the story is still valid. Every place and even owner ( or both) can have a bad day, but they should owned up to it, actually I feel owed an apology when they were given a chance to correct a mistake and showed no interest to but happily accepted payment. Maybe Pern can explain when and what changed with the name etc. if he contacts me smile.png

(feel free to point out this thread to him if he hasn't already seen it)

Btw I have had lots of mashed potatoes here, they do grow locally after all, some pretty good, some not so, most somewhere in between. I don't see why if they are listed on the menu one shouldn't expect them on the plate when it arrives too. "True" no?? biggrin.png

Edited by junglechef

Thanks Nancy, I guess I am misinformed as I said I might have the details wrong, thanks for the info. Maybe it had the sane name but was before they changed the concept to a Mediterranean and a wine bar. But the point of the story is still valid. Every place and even owner ( or both) can have a bad day, but they should owned up to it, actually I feel owed an apology when they were given a chance to correct a mistake and showed no interest to but happily accepted payment. Maybe Pern can explain when and what changed with the name etc. if he contacts me smile.png

Btw I have had lots of mashed potatoes here, they do grow locally after all, some pretty good, some not so, most somewhere in between. I don't see why if they are listed on the menu one shouldn't expect them on the plate when it arrives too. "True" no?? biggrin.png

Probably it was just before they changed the concept to Mediterranean and Tapas. It wasn't so long ago that they did that and they were in the same location for a few years before that. Apparently the place has some dedicated fans so I can understand why some might be skeptical about people popping up criticizing the place. But what you recount with your Shepherds Pie (which for some reason Pern's fans think is an absurd thing to order) was exactly the attitude I got from them when I got a bad steak. Basically they tell you "here's your bill, better luck next time". On tripadvisor you'll see that their reviews are decidedly mixed too, it's not just here that some people come forward and say that the place is great while others say "you've got to be kidding".

Edited by suzannegoh

If Brian said he'd do something different the "next time", it probably was because he didn't have the ability to deliver mash potatoes that particular evening, the item you ordered was the evening special and every one was made the same way.Junglechef, do you realistically expect someone to contact you to discuss every supposed slight four years after the fact just because you chose to discuss it on the internet? Especially over something like whether there was mashed potatoes vs. fried potatoes atop a Shepherd's pie? Esp, since that item is no longer on the menu at the restaurant in question.

Chiang Mai must be full of restaurants I don't know about that are capable of delivering flawlessly prepared western food if this particular meal still remains front-and-center as being especially bad after all these years.