Where can I develop 35 mm film rolls in Thailand?

balo

Not sure if anyone is still doing it in Thailand or if you have to develop it yourself?

I'm asking because I can buy cheap 35mm camera equipment that used to be very expensive .

I'd want to know what that film is. The processing for Kodachrome is very complex and took special equipment. Fujichrome and Ecktachrome were different and pretty easy.

Kodak used to sell Kodachrome with processing included in the price until others developed processing equipment and lobbied the US government to make Kodak stop that. Even then it was sent to central places by local film developing places because they couldn't develop it.

I never had any luck getting slides converted to print or digital no matter how hard I tried or where I sent it. It was never the same.

BTW I always figured that just because something was cheap didn't mean it was a bargain. There's a reason it's cheap. You might find that some Nikon etc. lenses from a film camera would fit a digital camera if you check it out. The auto features might not work but you can focus by eye with an SLR and set the exposure using a meter or your own knowledge ("sunny 16" for instance).

Yes !!

Thailand is one of the best places to shoot film.

If you are just after basic processing, then Siam digital.

There was a branch in Ratchatewi, ( you can see a fuji sign as you drop down the stairs, near Asia hotel )

They scan themselves and run off a CD. Your better to take that disc home and edit / crop / adjust images in lightroom / photoshop.

They will process 35mm colour negative and c-41 B/W on site plus medium format ( 120 ), I think they have a 1 hour service, but 24 hours is OK, they can do traditional B/W and colour transparent but they needed to be sent away at greater cost. They also do cross processing - transparent film in negative chemicals. If I remember correctly i paid about 150B a roll.

If you have some amazing shots then these guys are considered very good this place is also good, these places have drum scanners and also process large format films.

I have a big selection of M42 lenses, a collection of compact 35mm cameras, and a freezer full of different film, but nowhere to process them as I live in the south.

Im thinking you are talking about SLR kit. Some old optics are amazing, but people know about them and you will see they go for decent money - some systems are also collectable and worth money - I chose M42, there is are some great pentax lenses also classic russian optics. These fit nicely on a Canon digital with an adaptor.

You will also find some bodies cheap but buying further lenses could be exepensive.

Have fun and jump right in there, film is an amazing medium, film lenses are amazing pieces of history - using film makes you think of your composition and using a manual focus lens slows down your photography and hones your ability to pick the perfect moment.

I just had some 35mm rolls developed a couple weeks ago at a Fuji shop on Pattaya Central Road. To top it off, these were rolls that had been in a bag stuffed into a box that was inside a storage case for years, and were pictures I'd taken back in 2002 ! Of the 5 rolls I dropped off (expecting that none would develop) I got back 4 full rolls of pics (but didn't get a single pic from the 5th roll).

11401569_10152973706504220_7309970757353

I found the place by going to a local photo "studio" only to learn they only did digital, but the owner thought that this shop might develop film.

There is another shop on Thepprasit (far west end, just before the intersection with Thappraya). If you are travelling down Thepprasit towards Thappraya, it is on the left side about 25 meters from the intersection. I had some film developed there about 10 years ago (and for some reason I keep thinking I forgot to go back and pick up the pictures). Hmmm I should check into that one day !

I was told the a shop opposite Suit Us Hotel on Soi Bukao, Pattaya develops film. I have a roll of undeveloped film still sitting on the shelf waiting for me to face Pattaya traffic. A beer in Suit Us is tempting though.coffee1.gif

Pro Color Lab in Bangkok can do film processing and they sell film and processing equipment for home film developing and printing. It is one of the better photo shops in Bangkok with equipment not available many other places.

Pro Color Lab แฟลชสตูดิโอ อุปกรณ์สตูดิโอ FOKON

The shop isn't easy to find. Ignore any map you find on their web site, look them up on Google Maps. To get to the store go to the Huai Khwang MRT subway station, which is the stop closest to them. Find a taxi and phone the store and ask them to tell the taxi driver how to get to the store.

If it is film they can develop I'm sure they will develop film you send to them by EMS and return your prints, slides, or a disk of high resolutions scans of your negatives or slides.

Thanks for the info, I'm in Pattaya so will try the shop recommended by Kerryd.

OK - if you are travelling down Pattaya Klang (towards Beach Road) it is on the right side of the street, between # 3 and # 2 roads. I almost missed it the first time and I was walking on that side of the street !

https://www.google.co.th/maps/@12.935217,100.890567,3a,64.4y,327.12h,84.24t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1sQSivu177dofxjyHY3zoGQA!2e0?hl=en

In that shot you can see a small 7-11 on the right at the corner of Pattayaklang 12 and the Royal Century Hotel behind where the shop is located.

There is also a Kodak shop on Theppasit, almost opposite the night market, that will also develop film; but I found their work to be dubious; with some stains and marks on the negatives.

Now I send to IQ Labs in Bangkok. Send by EMS from Pattaya giving email and phone (and return address), and they will advise of the cost. Transfer the money and they then return by EMS; no need to go to Bangkok. First class work and everything carefully packed. I get my films developed and scanned there. Colour processing is 80 baht, B&W 120 baht.

This is one of their scans:

17821009825_ba799e9fa0_o.jpgChinese temple roof by Spike Tennyson, on Flickr

Archived