Known American scammer cheats Thai Man in Pattaya out of 32,000 Baht

webfact

Known American scammer cheats Thai Man in Pattaya out of 32,000 Baht

us-3.jpg

PATTAYA: -- On Thursday afternoon a 21 year old Thai man reported being scammed out of 32,000 Baht by an American he met on a Gay Website.

The scam was reported initially to the Transnational Crime Suppression Unit at Pattaya Police Station who confirmed the American scammer was already wanted by Thai Police on similar offences.

Khun Jartalin, who works at a Coffee Shop in South Pattaya, told Police that on 10th May he met Mr. Richard Edward aged 32 from America, on a Gay website. The pair spoke on a daily basis about him coming to Thailand to invest in a Gay Bar.

On 3rd June at 11am Khun Jartalin received a call from Mr. Edward who claimed he had arrived in Thailand but was being held at Phuket International Airport as he had been found to be carrying 300,000 US Dollars without declaring the large amount of money to customs. He claimed that he was fined 75,000 Baht and was able to pay 50,000 Baht of the fine but needed Khun Jartalin to send the remaining 25,000 Baht so he could be released.

To appear as if the arrest was real, the phone was handed to a Thai woman who claimed to be an Immigration Police Officer who confirmed the arrest of Mr. Edward. She also asked for an additional 7,000 Baht to be transferred to her Bank account to clear the case and secure a quick release of Mr. Edward.

Full story: http://pattayaone.net/pattaya-news/199298/known-american-scammer-cheats-thai-man-in-pattaya-out-of-32000-baht/

pattaya-one.jpg
-- Pattaya One 2015-06-05

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thai gay man falls victim to online love scam

Chon Buri:- A Thai gay man working at a Pattaya coffee shop was deceived to wire Bt32,000 to help secure release of his dream farang man who claimed to have been arrested by immigration officers on his way to marry him.

Jetrin Boonmarong, 21, from Sukhothai's Muaeng district, filed the complaint with the Pattaya police station at 1 pm Thurday.

Jetrin, who works as a cashier at the P.M. Coffee Shop in South Pattaya, said he applied for a membership of an online dating website for gay men on May 10.

He then met a contact who claimed to be a businessman with the name of Richard Edward, 32. Jetrin said the person, who claimed to be Edward, showed his handsome picture in well-dressed clothes to him.

Jetrin said he had been in online relationship with the man until Edward claimed he would come to meet him at Pattaya and would bring money to invest in a gay bar in Pattaya.

The Thai man said he received a phone call from Edward at 11 am on Wednesday, saying he had arrived at the Phuket International Airport but he was stopped by immigration police.

Jetrin said he was told that Edward brought in US$300,000 in cash and he was fined Bt75,000. Jetrin was told that Edward had paid Bt50,000 fine and was short of Bt25,000 cash.

Edward then had Jetrin talk to a Thai woman, who claimed to be an immigration officer. The woman confirmed that Edward had been arrested and told Jetrin to transfer Bt25,000 to her Kasikorn bank account in the name of Wanpen Samiphet.

Jetrin said he wired Bt25,000 to the account and then the woman called again, saying he had to pay the operation fee of Bt7,000 as well.

Jetrin said he wired the money immediately, hoping to meet Edward soon.

But after he transferred the money, he has never been contacted by the farang again so he realized he was deceived.

tvn.png
-- 2015-06-05

This is so much Karmic payback for the scams pulled on farang by Thais.wai2.gif

Which doesn't mean they shouldn't lock him up of course.

Deport him, along with the other Burmese Cambodian, Malaysian and Laotian scam artists operating in this country.

I have to say all the foreign scammers are amateurs.

They should take lessons from Thai scammers who take people for all life savings, houses, cars etc.

Like Irish the other day, was taken for 65 million.

I'm obviously the odd man out here but I absolutely detest people (of any nationality) who prey on the loneliness of others to scam money from them. If this Thai man was genuinely looking for love or simply a better life for himself...... who of us is any different. I would certainly not like this to have happened to either myself or someone near to me. It is the lowest of the lowest acts on this earth. When the scammers received the money I hope they both crawled back under their slimy rock for a long long time to come.

I am sorry for the outburst.....my motto " Whatever you say....say it with love" failed me badly on this occasion but this type of thing probably vexes me more than anything else I can think of.

I am one of the lucky ones...over the years I have become a little "street wise" and feel so sorry for people who have to go through the pain of being "had" like this. In some cases peoples life savings and even more have been lost.

Edited by dotpoom

This scammer was probably not American but a Nigerian, not I wouldn't put it past a Yank if he thought he could get away with it, but Nigerians posing as Americans to scam the vulnerable lovelorn is quite common.

How I read this story between the lines is that it is an assumed American scammer, as not a mention of the alleged American`s real name.

It always amazes me how often people fool fall for these types of scams and eagerly send huge amounts of money to people on trust they have never met.

My sympathy level for the victims is 2 out of 10. There is one born every minute that keeps these scammers in business.

I'm obviously the odd man out here but I absolutely detest people (of any nationality) who prey on the loneliness of others to scam money from them. If this Thai man was genuinely looking for love or simply a better life for himself...... who of us is any different. I would certainly not like this to have happened to either myself or someone near to me. It is the lowest of the lowest acts on this earth. When the scammers received the money I hope they both crawled back under their slimy rock for a long long time to come.

I am sorry for the outburst.....my motto " Whatever you say....say it with love" failed me badly on this occasion but this type of thing probably vexes more than anything else I can think of.

I am one of the lucky ones...over the years I have become a little "street wise" and feel so sorry for people who have to go through the pain of being "had" like this. In some cases peoples life savings and even more.

I agree, and it's not that much different from the way (some) Thai women scam foreigners here. I'm pretty sure however I'd not be gullible enough to help someone I don't know in this way to be honest. Or perhaps I'm just an <deleted>.

It's abosolutely scandoulous that a Farang may dare to scam a Thai in Pattaya and that the farang scammed the Thai but I have a feeling that it was the farang that was going to be scammed for a lot more money by the Thai gay guy and it bit him up his ass....What go's around comes around hey....

Pathetic 32k?? he needs to learn from the Thais about this, one thing they do excel at.

What he should have done is get a house built a car and abut 100 rai beachfront............Honestly I dunno what the world is coming to fer gawdddddddds sake man 32k paaaaaaaaaaathetic, "e-" must try harder

Better that he loses 25k now and learns a valuable lesson early in life.

You cannot include the 7k as he knew that was a scam/bribe/corruption anyway.

I thought that a great touch to make the scam appear more convincing. To add a Thai official who also wanted some when dealing with a Thai mug is very smart!

Edited by jacko45k

I am sorry for the outburst.....my motto " Whatever you say....say it with love" failed me badly on this occasion but this type of thing probably vexes me more than anything else I can think of.

I am one of the lucky ones...over the years I have become a little "street wise" and feel so sorry for people who have to go through the pain of being "had" like this. In some cases peoples life savings and even more have been lost.

A little perspective please. This guy saw what he thought was a dumb yank coming here to buy a gay bar. "Kaching, Kaching", he could here the cash register ringing already. Get the guy here and get all of his money and be instantly rich. It is what every Thai dreams of.

Well this time it backfired and I say good luck to the yank. Beat them at their own game.

You rule.

You can't fix stupid. If American (they know that because identified as one on web site?) had $300,000 on him, why the heck would he need 32k baht? I'm sure officials will take USD's (at a poor exchange rate of course).

This scammer was probably not American but a Nigerian, not I wouldn't put it past a Yank if he thought he could get away with it, but Nigerians posing as Americans to scam the vulnerable lovelorn is quite common.

Of course you're right, no American would do such a thing.

Feel sorry for anyone scammed. This however was more a gamble on the victims part. He had a guy with what appeared to have a fish on the end of the line with US$ 300K. The line got snagged and he was offered a choice to either let the fish break free or save the fish by investing money. He had the choice to walk away and let the fish break free and have zero loss. And here is why the scam is so effective because it plays on human greed. If the call had been a simple one which did not include the US$ 300K and was simply I need the money as I don't have any and I have a problem then this Scenario, I doubt, would ever have happened. The victim in all probability sent the money not out of love for the hansum man but had his eye balls glued squarely on the US$ 300K which is why he forgot to use his brain. Greed is a wicked mistress especially when you are a "have not". It is sad we live in such a crappy world where greed is probably what will lead to humanities eventual extinction.

How is the scammer "known American"?

It's abosolutely scandoulous that a Farang may dare to scam a Thai in Pattaya and that the farang scammed the Thai but I have a feeling that it was the farang that was going to be scammed for a lot more money by the Thai gay guy and it bit him up his ass....What go's around comes around hey....

It's amazing how you can know these things without even knowing the person or anything about him.

The crime pales in comparison to child molestation, and a hundred other I could mention.

This is so much Karmic payback for the scams pulled on farang by Thais.wai2.gif

Which doesn't mean they shouldn't lock him up of course.

Deport him, along with the other Burmese Cambodian, Malaysian and Laotian scam artists operating in this country.

Lol, not even near mate! It's still 100-1

So, they 100% know it was an "American Scammer"? Based on what, his pictures from a website? The Philippines used to be notorious for men posing as women, complete with pictures, working online to scam people out of money, all in the name of "love".

" She also asked for an additional 7,000 Baht to be transferred to her Bank account to clear the case and secure a quick release of Mr. Edward."

Sounds perfectly normal to me. I believe Mr. Edward.