French businessman electrocuted in Pattaya

Thaivisa News

Pattaya, Chon Buri:- A French resident in Pattaya was electrocuted and killed while he was trying to fix a water pump in his house Thursday night, police said.

Pol Lt Col Techid Kulkanit, an officer on duty of Nongplua police station in Chon Buri's Bang Lamung district, was informed of the accident at 10 pm. Techind was told that a foreigner was accidentally killed by an electrical short-circuit inside a house of the European-Thai House housing estate in Tambon Nongplua in the district.

Techid rushed to the scene with a doctor on duty and officials of the Sawang Boribun Thammasathan Pattaya Foundation.

They found the body of Francois Marie Michel Poncet, 44, in the one-storey twin house lying on his back inside the water pump room. His left hand was burned by the short-circuit.

His Laotian wife, Kilame Souvannaphaphasy, 27 who is pregnant, was sitting and crying beside the body when the officials arrived at the scene.

Poncet owned the Port South Corporation which runs tourism business in Pattaya.

The wife told police that her husband was about to take shower when he found that there was no water so he went to check the water pump.

The wife said when Poncet did not return into the house after a while, she went out to check and found that he was lying unconscious in the pump room. She called for help from a neighbor who found that her husband had already died.

The body was sent for an autopsy at the Bang Lamung Hospital.

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

RIP.

Water and domestic electrics worldwide isnt a very god mix but water and Thai electrical installation standards = accident waiting to happen.

I am not Thai bashing, it is a sad truth that Thai Electrical Installation Standards are not very high.

An Electrician in Thailand is more like a Magician. Your never more than a milliamp away from being electocuted in Thailand....Perhaps a pair of rubber flip flops would have saved his life. Sad.

An Electrician in Thailand is more like a Magician. Your never more than a milliamp away from being electocuted in Thailand....Perhaps a pair of rubber flip flops would have saved his life. Sad.

"rubber flip flops" as safety shoes.....tongue.png

I woke up a few weeks ago to the sound of my water pump whirring. I went outside and water was pouring out of it. I turned off all the electric in the house, put some rubber flip flops on & some rubber gloves on. I still felt a fair bit of trepidation as I pulled the plug out of the socket!!

Edited by bruceybonus

RIP.

Water and domestic electrics worldwide isnt a very god mix but water and Thai electrical installation standards = accident waiting to happen.

I am not Thai bashing, it is a sad truth that Thai Electrical Installation Standards are not very high.

so you are blaming the Thais for this rather than blaming someone who was likely meddling with something he was not qualified to do, maybe a phone call to an electrician might have been the correct course of action - and I am electrically qualified and know the dangers

RIP

I doubt it, a ground (under your feet) shock is usually not a killer - holding the pipes while touching a live connection is and is usually across the chest stopping the heart

RIP.

so you are blaming the Thais for this rather than blaming someone who was likely meddling with something he was not qualified to do, maybe a phone call to an electrician might have been the correct course of action - and I am electrically qualified and know the dangers

RIP

Who knows what happend?, I too am certified and qualified in electrical engineering and I stick by my statement that electrical installation standards here are severely lacking. This isn't the place to start an argument, it was a sad occurrence and RIP to the gentleman.

Yup ^^^.

And a 500 Baht RCBO would likely have saved him sad.png

Is there a difference with the voltage here? Many years ago, I was in my father's pool when the pump went off. I opened the box to switch it back on and accidentally hit a live wire as it was late at night. The current grabbed me, but luckily when I fell back, it let me go. Would a GFCI have helped with that??? Or is 120V less "dangerous". Just curious....

Again, RIP to this man and my heart goes out to his wife. How horrible.

Yup ^^^.

Is there a difference with the voltage here? Many years ago, I was in my father's pool when the pump went off. I opened the box to switch it back on and accidentally hit a live wire as it was late at night. The current grabbed me, but luckily when I fell back, it let me go. Would a GFCI have helped with that??? Or is 120V less "dangerous". Just curious....

Its the amps that kill you not the volts, if it was voltage, tasers would be killing everyone

Yup ^^^.

A GFCI (American for RCD) would likely have tripped and reduced the severity of the shock you received, you would still have felt it mind.

120v is perceived as less dangerous, in reality once it gets past the skin resistance even a 12V car battery can kill.

RIP.

RIP

Are you trying to say this was not a Thai-built building? Are you seriously suggesting that a Thai electrician would have been able to fix the problem?

If you are indeed electrically trained, you will certainly have looked in horror at the incompetently installed electrical systems in most Thai buildings.