any public transport after midnight to chiang mai airport?

jadelie

hi, this is my first time visiting chiang mai and my flight back will take off at 6am.

i will stay at chang phueak area and wondering how should i go to the airport at 3 o'clock in the morning? is there any song thaew or tuk2 operating at that hour? or taxi is the only option?

how much will they charge at that odd hour and is it easy to get?

appreciate your help! thank you

There are no regular public transport services operating in Chiang Mai at 3.00am as far as I know.

I can only make two suggestions.

Stop a red song thaew a day or 2 prior to your trip and ask the driver if he/she would be available and could you book the journey.

Or try these guys:

http://www.taxichiangmai.com/en/Special_services.asp

Have no idea how much they would charge you. This is something that has to be negotiated with the driver.

i can tell you i clocked my last departure .from my home in serapi to the gate ,international ,a little over 30 minutes.including ride to, check in and customs.

it was at 10 pm.

3 hrs is just a waste of your time...cut half.

Edited by uptoyoumyfriend

Thank you, but will it be easier for me to get the song theaw if I go to the airport at 4 or 4.30am instead of 3am?

I can't speak Thai at all...am excited to see CM but I'm thinking about my return back as my departure time is so early.

I've gone out to the Immigration office at 4:30 am and can always find a tuk-tuk on the main street in front of my house. Sometimes I have to wait 10 minutes or walk to the big hotel down the street, but there always is one.

As suggested, if you're staying at a hotel or guest house, ask them to arrange for transport. They understand about flights leaving at inconvenient times.

Is it an international glight or a domestic one? Intl. Check-in desk closes one hour prior departure(for real) and after that it's brown envelope time. So arrange it earlier on - I recall paying 160 baht to the driver to show up last time I had an early morning flight, and 100 BHT last week when departing on a 9.20 flight, leaving hotel at 7.40 - almost missed the intl. checkin because of s mob of angry chinese trying to clear overweight baggage on two of the AirAsia lanes >.<

There are no regular public transport services operating in Chiang Mai at 3.00am as far as I know.

I can only make two suggestions.

Stop a red song thaew a day or 2 prior to your trip and ask the driver if he/she would be available and could you book the journey.

Or try these guys:

http://www.taxichiangmai.com/en/Special_services.asp

Have no idea how much they would charge you. This is something that has to be negotiated with the driver.

I don't understand the logic of not at least having this new bus Route number 14 (which uses red song thaews ) on a 24-hour basis if in any case there are red songthaews running about at that hour anyway? And I understood Chiang Mai airport is going to be used virtually on a 24-hour basis?

Bus route number 14 would take the OP from Chang Phueak directly to the airport

p.s.

When you say "There are no regular public transport services operating in Chiang Mai at 3.00am as far as I know " does this mean Chang Phueak bus station virtually closes down at this hour of the morning?

I would find it hard to believe if the OP wandered over there at 3 AM that there wouldn't be some red songthaew service to the airport even then?

I would hate to be at the mercy of taxi drivers at that hour of the morning.bah.gif

Edited by Asiantravel

"I don't understand the logic of not at least having this new bus Route number 14 (which uses red song thaews ) on a 24-hour basis if in any case there are red songthaews running about at that hour anyway? And I understood Chiang Mai airport is going to be used virtually on a 24-hour basis?

Bus route number 14 would take the OP from Chang Phueak directly to the airport"

There"s a public bus to go to the airport at that hour?

"I don't understand the logic of not at least having this new bus Route number 14 (which uses red song thaews ) on a 24-hour basis if in any case there are red songthaews running about at that hour anyway? And I understood Chiang Mai airport is going to be used virtually on a 24-hour basis?

Bus route number 14 would take the OP from Chang Phueak directly to the airport"

There"s a public bus to go to the airport at that hour?

I don't think so. I'm not sure actually but I'm saying there should be!It's a 24-hour airport.

If I go to Singapore or Incheon Airport in Seoul there is always public transport available no matter what time it is. Why should it be different here?

The public bus route number 14 is this new route system that appeared on this website as a separate thread just last week. I am like you I don't like having to use taxis to get to an international airport because you always feel you are being ripped off.

It's like here in Pattaya I can fly to Chiang Mai from UTapao on Kan Air for 900 baht but then the taxis want 800 baht from Pattaya city to Utapao and I simply refuse to pay that is a matter of principle. Fortunately the airline is now providing a free shuttle bus to and from the airport to the city.

Edited by Asiantravel

For 6 am flight to HK, i arrange a tuk-tuk the day prior at KSK. I ask around the many tuk-tuks parked at KSK who wants to drive at 4.30 am and a driver will give me his card. Always take his card or at least his phone #. I pay 200-250 baht.