1 year Thai License Malaysia

• 1 month later...

It has to be 5 years not 1 year temporary ....

I doubt any foreign police officer in ASEAN would know the difference. As long as it's valid the OP should be fine, though if he can get a 5-year one it would be better. Now I know that Malaysia is likely to be stricter than say Laos, where, despite what may be claimed I had no problems driving around with a 1-year Thai licence. I do have a 5-year one now, but back in those days, my 1-year one was always accepted for renting cars and I even showed it to the police. Why? Well, even though I always held another valid licence from my home country and other licences from other countries that were also valid, I assumed that Lao officers can only read Thai and not English or another language. Quite simply because Thai and Lao are very similar and educated Lao are generally quite fluent in reading Thai.

Otherwise, the OP can always use his home country licence as long as it's in English, otherwise it should be accompanied by an international driver permit (IDP).

Hi Tom, thank you for everyone reply. I understand as I have insurance in Malaysia and Korea. I have a full license for korea. However there are reasons I want the 5 year not 1 year Thai. Is it possible to change from 1 year to 5 early as in 9 months earlier. I will attend the driving office in.the weeks to come and hopefully get my answer.... Thanks again .