Thai Police may sue people who reveal location of checkpoints

webfact

OR a designated racing area complete with saftey,ambulance,police presents could let these kids learn how to

repair,race,paint, become mechanics etc.

Many vendors could work. Car , Tire, Cycle companies could sponsor

Many many Sundays of my youth was spent at the begginer race tracks lots of fun

SUNDAY SUNDAY SUNDAY !!!....chicks love it too.

,https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jDYzidMqq4o

If the cops really want to stop the street racing, all they have to do when they catch anyone that has been racing is to seize their car for six months. I would bet that would put a lot of fear into the racers and eliminate those cars from being part of any racing in the future.

Send their car or bike to the crusher, that would certainly get their attention

Taking legal action by invoking Article 44 is hypocritical.

Article 44 exists because of an illegal act (military coup and abolishment of the constitution) and absolves the Junta government from committing any illegal act. What this article should say is that failing legal action, Article 44 will be used force compliance.

When the Rule of Law is imposed by a minority unto a majority, it will be rightly disrespected.

you may have missed that in relation to the topic A44 is not mentioned at all.

He expected moves would be made by the end of the month to counter street racing- and venues near schools and universities that allow the unauthorised sale of alcohol. It was possible the premier's may use authority under Article 44 of the interim charter to tackle the latter problem, he said.

Article 44 "possibly" used in relation to tackling sale of unauthorised alcohol.

He (Somyot) is saying the latter (unauthorised sale of alcohol) is related to and has an influence on street racing.

Edited by TechnoCrasy

This country and their law suits. Reminds me of the US, where you can be ticketed for flashing your lights to oncoming traffic warning of the checkpoints.bah.gif

Whatever happened to the old cat and mouse chase of the olden days. sad.png

Also not allowed to in Europe.

Flashing lights is for warning about danger.....police is not a danger (by definition even news are telling something different).

Sounds fair enough, so long as the public retains the right to sue policemen acting like mafiosi and extorting the public for imaginary infractions or dealing with illegal activities by extorting the perpetrators.

Freedom of speech? Oops forgot we are under military rule. Forget about suing the BIB. I guess revealing checkpoint locations would mean a drop in revenue for them and they are really suffering enough in this department since the military stepped in.

In UK the highway code says headlight flashing is for letting other motorist know you are there. Motorcycles tend to have their lights (not headlights) permanently on during the day so be seen, and they wear those high viz stuff at night.

Many cars, lorries, buses use the main beam flash to indicate "I will let you pass" or "to give way". Serves as a dual purpose. TO indicate you are there and to give way. To "give way" part is not in the highway code.

This country and their law suits. Reminds me of the US, where you can be ticketed for flashing your lights to oncoming traffic warning of the checkpoints.bah.gif

Also not allowed to in Europe.

Flashing lights is for warning about danger.....police is not a danger (by definition even news are telling something different).

Flashing lights

Sorry for Being picky, but "flashing lights" is not the same as flashing the main beam once.

In my western country some Police authorities wanted to prosecute drivers who warned of speed traps ahead. Fortunately for drivers who were warning, there is no law that says it is an offence to stop someone from committing an offence.

TITS is different I guess blink.png

"Measures suggested included seizing racers' driver's licences for three months, six months or for life, in a bid to prevent racers from re-offending, he said"

That's smart, of course no illegal street racer would ever drive without a licence!

Loads of them have never had a licence in the first place

That law about flashing lights has actually been overturned in some U.S. states due to freedom of speech. I got a $90 ticket in 2004 for that very issue. Last ticket I ever paid and ever WILL pay in the U.S.

It sounds like you voted with your feet... just as I did a long time ago and never regretted it.

It was in the 1960s that fines from traffic violations started to become necessary sources of "revenue enhancement" and the country became a place to get away from.

They were trying this in the UK with speed cameras, dont what happened because I left

But the argument was , if speeding is illegal and dangerous, then shorely if you warned someone of a speed camera they would slow down , thus avoiding an accident and being safe. But the Police and Home office just saw it as taking money out of their already bulging fines revenue

Same rationale was applied by the Swiss Federal Court in a decision where the police tried to punish a guy who had warned other cars of the speed check ahead.

Later the court decision was clarified in such a way that warning by hand signals is legal but by flashing lights is not. Beats my understanding of logic, but that was the court's decision.

They were trying this in the UK with speed cameras, dont what happened because I left

But the argument was , if speeding is illegal and dangerous, then shorely if you warned someone of a speed camera they would slow down , thus avoiding an accident and being safe. But the Police and Home office just saw it as taking money out of their already bulging fines revenue

Exactly right,,,,,,You can't interfere with their income,,,,,What a F..... Laugh,,, It doesn't matter if you safe a life in the process when you warn someone,,,,They don't give a shit,,,,

In South Australia, car is impounded on first offence for 1 week. 2nd offence for 3 months. Whilst car impounded fee of $75 per day is charged for looking after it plus more for towage to the impound station

The 3rd offence sees the car being seized and either sold at public auction or crushed!!!

That's how to deal with these dangerous hoons!

In many places in the world that is known as a disciplinary action, and a deterrent. The definition of a deterrent is not yet known in this country. The judges are super weak, and the prosecutors are super compromised. A bad combination for society.

Do what they do in Australia, who have the Highway Patrol. Use the Highway Police to do their job instead of driving along the main roads and letting everyone speed past them and never stop anyone. Train them and make them work, use unmarked cars and high powered motorcycles, and match information with known sites and if worked properly, they can, after continuous and unannounced operations, bring these hoons to heel. Just use the Highway Police for traffic offences but of course they can be used as first response police in other major matters, as they do in Australia, that is provided they have police rostered on.

In New South Wales, where I was a copper, the Highway patrol, whose drivers must pass an in house driver training course, as do the motorcyclists, now have around 500 high powered cars and bikes, marked and unmarked, utes, station wagons sedans, all types, so the hoons have no idea how and when they will strike. Operate 24 hours, confiscate the hoons cars and bikes, 1st time, 3 months. 2nd time, 6 months, third time scrap the cars or bikes, all of course with a loss of license, if they have one, or if no license a period of disqualification, combined with them heavy fines. They must determine if the offenders own the car or not, cannot destroy if owned by finance company. They must also retain an up to date computer system to record everything, and I mean everything, pertaining to the law breakers.

In New South Wales, Highway Patrol has it's headquarters in Western Sydney but also have Highway Police at most major police stations, state wide. Thai Police could do the same in each province. NSW Police conduct major operations on a regular basis, have radar to detect speeding fitted, as well as in car, front and rear, cameras, a computer that can tell an officer within seconds if a car is unregistered and uninsured, or if the driver is licensed or not. They are of course connected to numerous police channels, which are encrypted to prevent the hoons listening in. By having patrols based in most major suburbs and cities, the coppers normally get to know the hoons and criminals and can keep them in check. But they must get off their backside and work, not what their practises are now.

I know this is Thailand and that they're behind in their knowledge, expertise and operational planning but if they got off their backside, used common sense and learned the basics of policing, instead of this stupid idea of suing them maybe they will get somewhere. Just make it an offence and fine them, not clog the courts with childish actions. Learn from other countries, it will be hard and take some time but if they are prepared to learn and keep their mouths shut so the hoons will only know what is happening when it hits them, them maybe they can have a reasonable police force. Oh, and for god's sake, pay them a decent wage, give them thorough training, uniforms guns etc. and promote on merit, not how much you can pay or who you know, then all this in a number of years, the country may have a police force they can be proud of, which I can see now that they do not. By doing their job, being polite and hopefully not take tea money, then when they become more professional, they will gain the respect that they certainly do not have now.

Edited by Si Thea01

Do what they do in Australia, who have the Highway Patrol. Use the Highway Police to do their job instead of driving along the main roads and letting everyone speed past them and never stop anyone. Train them and make them work, use unmarked cars and high powered motorcycles, and match information with known sites and if worked properly, they can, after continuous and unannounced operations, bring these hoons to heel. Just use the Highway Police for traffic offences but of course they can be used as first response police in other major matters, as they do in Australia, that is provided they have police rostered on.

In New South Wales, where I was a copper, the Highway patrol, whose drivers must pass an in house driver training course, as do the motorcyclists, now have around 500 high powered cars and bikes, marked and unmarked, utes, station wagons sedans, all types, so the hoons have no idea how and when they will strike. Operate 24 hours, confiscate the hoons cars and bikes, 1st time, 3 months. 2nd time, 6 months, third time scrap the cars or bikes, all of course with a loss of license, if they have one, or if no license a period of disqualification, combined with them heavy fines. They must determine if the offenders own the car or not, cannot destroy if owned by finance company. They must also retain an up to date computer system to record everything, and I mean everything, pertaining to the law breakers.

In New South Wales, Highway Patrol has it's headquarters in Western Sydney but also have Highway Police at most major police stations, state wide. Thai Police could do the same in each province. NSW Police conduct major operations on a regular basis, have radar to detect speeding fitted, as well as in car, front and rear, cameras, a computer that can tell an officer within seconds if a car is unregistered and uninsured, or if the driver is licensed or not. They are of course connected to numerous police channels, which are encrypted to prevent the hoons listening in. By having patrols based in most major suburbs and cities, the coppers normally get to know the hoons and criminals and can keep them in check. But they must get off their backside and work, not what their practises are now.

I know this is Thailand and that they're behind in their knowledge, expertise and operational planning but if they got off their backside, used common sense and learned the basics of policing, instead of this stupid idea of suing them maybe they will get somewhere. Just make it an offence and fine them, not clog the courts with childish actions. Learn from other countries, it will be hard and take some time but if they are prepared to learn and keep their mouths shut so the hoons will only know what is happening when it hits them, them maybe they can have a reasonable police force. Oh, and for god's sake, pay them a decent wage, give them thorough training, uniforms guns etc. and promote on merit, not how much you can pay or who you know, then all this in a number of years, the country may have a police force they can be proud of, which I can see now that they do not. By doing their job, being polite and hopefully not take tea money, then when they become more professional, they will gain the respect that they certainly do not have now.

This sounds great!

A war on hoons.

Hilarious ! The RTP are the best comedy show in Thailand.

In Australia the radio stations regularly announce where the speed cameras and radar traps are.

As they did in my local town in England,

where the speed trap was open & visable then fair play, but when Mr Plod was hiding behind bushes to catch you out the radio stations helped out a little, except they used the term "police safety camera" haha

OMG - the truth! But unfortunately Thai Governments/people can always solve Thai problems without reference to workable solutions from western countries. Just not allowed coffee1.gif

Another obviously logical thought process by the Royal Thai Police done with their normal adherence to strict logical thinking normally reserved for those with no brain and those with little intelligence.

let us target those who spread the locations of the police ccheck-points and thyen let us take away the licences ( if any ) of those committing the offences and fining them.

Logical thought, seize the bikes...crush them , give back crushed bike to parents fine them 10,000 Thb for allowing their child to behave like an idiot, and ban their child from holding any licence for at least 10 years.

Seems fair the parents will have to finish payuing for the bike as well as act if they wish to as a chauffeur for their child..

They reap what they sow.....

When did TV start accepting members from other planets? Great ideas; just never gonna' happen.

I read some of those cases in law school. They all get tossed out b/c the Constitution protects free speech.

• 2 years later...