Bars/Clubs good to go alone?

Cinderella Man

I'm fairly new to Bangkok, and I would like to know which clubs & bars are more "solo friendly" without being chased by hookers.

I used to go out alone in Europe/Australia but so far here it feels like you really stand out if you are not with group. Not to mention that the alcohol prices sux, unless you buy a bottle!

I know only Thai girls so far in BKK, but going out with them kind of makes the night less fun and potential chances to meet someone new drops to zero.

I'm late 20s (although nobody believes as I look much younger), prefer electronic music but can handle almost anything for short period of time. Also I'm not very interested in establishments where 90+ % of people are farangs.

I live in Sukhumvit 13/15 so not too far away would be great.

Thank you very much for tips!

Edited by Cinderella Man
  • Like 1

It's crazy on weekends, packed like jj market, but they're is a good crowd most nights, you will notice the hookers trying to get your attention more on weeknights since its quieter and you will stand out if your a farang and your alone etc

The girls are not pushy they're, if your not interested they will go away, it's not like other bars where they are under pressure to meet a quota

• Like 1

Insanity, soi 12...not far from you, House, Hip hop, etc, surely you've been there already?

Insanity is only good if you are after a working girl..

Not thais I know go there... Many of the young girls fom work go to RCA and Ratchada

Sent from my c64

• Like 2

rgs2001uk: you probably answered to a wrong thread (or had too many Changs! smile.png )

Doing research now, what about KuDeTa on Wednesday - ladies night?? I've been to KuDeTa in Singapore & Bali and it was pretty good, although definitely not cheap

Too many Changs, LOL, dont touch the stuff, had you said Fullers London pride I may have agreed.

Sorry, I was mentioning areas rather than specific clubs, you didnt exactly specify what you want.

If you can vary it a bit, Luk Tung/Mor Lam music, or clubs that have bands such as Bodyslam or Sek Loso, you wont find these in Lower Suk.

You may wish to check out places such as, Brown Sugar or Saxaphone.

As mentioned by a previous poster, this is where the girls I know go to, they dont go mid week, too tired from coming home from work, work next morning etc.

Not sure what you want - to meet women who are not hookers, to meet male pals or both.

Any Irish bar will not have ladies who bother you. Finnegans on Soi 4, for instance. Any pub (such as British pubs) will also not have ladies who bother you either.

If you want something a little more highbrow, then join the Press Club (or whatever it is called).

If you want to meet regular middle class folks, best to join a club of some kind - like sports or other activities. Tennis always seems to strike the right mix of people.

rgs2001uk: you probably answered to a wrong thread (or had too many Changs! smile.png )

Doing research now, what about KuDeTa on Wednesday - ladies night?? I've been to KuDeTa in Singapore & Bali and it was pretty good, although definitely not cheap

Ku De Ta is around the same as the other KDTs price-wise for drinks. It's long and thin though so there's not really anywhere to hide- you would stand out drinking alone. Fairly farang heavy as well- it's a place you'd probably want to bring a wingman.

Demo in Thong Lo might be closer to what you're after. EDM and not so farang heavy. Do Not Disturb is meant to be similar but I've not been there so have no idea.

I mean, you're kind of asking "where can I go to pick up girls that aren't 'working'...?"- so in general I'd say anywhere that's not around the area you're staying- avoid Sukhumvit until it gets into the 50s and over. (Street numbers. Not age numbers. Although, y'know...)

• Like 1

Although it's far away, Khao San is probably the best 'solo place where you don't stand out and don't get chased by hookers'.

Very easy to start a conversation and join a group of people, probably because a lot are tourists in holiday mode, and drunk on the much cheaper beer prices. Plenty of people on their own.

Doesn't have to be just 90% farang backpackers you talk to either, a lot of 'normal' Thai girls go out there as they can let their hair down (no dress code anywhere, you stand out not looking like a beach bum), and because they want to meet westerners. A lot of university girls live around there.

• Like 1

I'd agree with the above for Khao San, however there are plenty of hookers there, plenty of them....whistling.gif

Seen a few ladyboy hookers milling around, and Gullivers had some old hags. Bit confusing why they'd go there though, not many of the backpackers are going to be buying them, and they're staying in guesthouses that don't allow guests back.

Haven't been there in a while, maybe I'm missing something.

Edited by jspill

Go to a gay bar-DJ station is always fun- you can have a few drinks , bop about and have no fear about being chased by ladies of the night.

Of course if you are as young and handsome as you suggest- a few boys might show an interest - oh well variety is the spice of life .

I would say Khao San is the easiest to approach foreign girls and even join their group for a drink than move to a club. Clubs that cater to the locals such as on Thonglo, you need to be a very good talker to pull the girls, most are not interested in westerners. RCA and the ones around Soi 13, Ku De Ta, etc will be somewhat in between the two as it has a good mix crowd.

Take lots of baht...be prepared to pay for extra drinks you did not order...if the girls start raising their glasses to salute you it is because you just unknowingly both them all drinks...

• Like 1

Most women are not hookers in Thailand.On the other hand if you tape 1 or 2 1000 baht notes to your forehead you will get more

Women around you then you can handle.

If you don't want to be picked up,hit on,dress down,look like your broke,they don't want to be around A bum.

Most women are not hookers in Thailand.On the other hand if you tape 1 or 2 1000 baht notes to your forehead you will get more

Women around you then you can handle.

If you don't want to be picked up,hit on,dress down,look like your broke,they don't want to be around A bum.

Its nice to see you practice what you preach.

You are going to find it hard finding solo women or groups that aren't hookers bar/massg/karaok/freelc etc and the fact that all your friends so far are women is evidence of that. Try dawan daeng or Thai music bar/reataurants on petchaburi road for all female birthday parties. Just buy a bottle and mixers and move around a bit. They will usually join you in but the music is crap. You probably wont find a decent girl in an electronic or hip hop club that isn't eithr freelancing or partying after her day job of servicing clients and or off her face on yaa baa/yaa ice. There's probably an even lesser chance meeting any if you know little or no Thai. Good luck anyways

Yeah I would say Khao San Road is a good place to go alone, they have many bars where you can sit and people watch and talk to whoever is nearby. But be careful and don't get blackout drunk on your own. After about midnight many working girls appear looking for drunk farangs. That is how I got robbed one very drunken night.

For other places with non-working girls you can go to thong lor and ekami but I would feel uncomfortable going to those places alone.

Overall BKK is a great place to go out alone, drink and people watch. I would never go out alone back in my home country.

• Like 1

About a week ago a Japanese themed club, Pasela, just opened up next door to me. The owner, all staff, and most of the customers are Japanese. They have annoying karaoke (the Japanese simply love karaoke when drunk), the food is average (at 160thb), the drinks overpriced (all beer over 100thb), BUT! they have cute 100% imported Japanese Bunnygirls that speak decent English. Bunnygirls!!! They don't bother me unless I approach them, and I can talk to them about my day and stuff that's troubling my itty bitty little mind without having to buy them a drink or pay a fee. It's like having my own personal shrink next door, even if I buy 5 beers (500thb) it's still cheaper than visiting my professional shrink who charges 500thb for 30 minutes. So, it's currently my favorite watering hole, whenever I need talk to somebody.

nvtjf4.jpg

• Like 1