Clean-up scheme signals new approach to overcrowded Thai prisons

webfact

Clean-up scheme signals new approach to overcrowded prisons
The Nation

BANGKOK: -- THE "big clean-up" at prisons around the country, currently housing over 300,000 inmates, will continue, Wittaya Suriyawong, head of the Corrections Department, said yesterday.

The plan is to improve living conditions at the prisons by making them cluster-free, preventing inmates from keeping unnecessary items, and searching for prohibited items.

In light of the Songkhla Prison riot on June 8 that resulted in the death of an inmate and injuries to several others, Wittaya said officials would segregate the ringleaders of the riot to face criminal punishment. Cell searches were part of the government's policy to eradicate smuggled cell phones and drugs and it would proceed unabated, he confirmed.

Prison officers were instructed to explain to inmates that they were allowed to keep only one pair of shoes each and 3-5 sets of clothing - to prevent them keeping and selling things at inflated prices - and released individuals could not pass their belongings to other inmates, he said.

Wittaya cited a June 4 report that said 143 prisons nationwide housed 303,132 inmates - 259,398 male and 43,734 female - but each prison contained convicts beyond its capacity.

More than 15,000 new inmates were going in every month, while less than 12,000 convicts were being released, he said. As a result, prisons had to organise more recreational activities to lessen inmates' stress and take their minds off the overcrowded conditions, which could potentially cause riots in the future.

Chanchao Chaiyanukit, deputy permanent secretary at the Justice Ministry, said the Songkhla riots were mainly the result of inmates being upset over the prison's strict implementation of existing regulations, such as the ban on plastic bags, as well as the crowded conditions. He urged the relatives of inmates to understand that officials had not violated inmates' rights and the rule imposed had long been in use.

Chanchao said 80 per cent of the 300,000 inmates were drug convicts. The ministry had formulated new legal measures against drug trafficking, to be submitted to the Cabinet mid- July.

The new bill would address three groups involved in drug crimes: the victims, drug abusers and retailers who would be rehabilitated and encouraged not to re-offend; the drug-trafficking labourers or drug mules; and the major drug dealers who were the law's main target for arrest and eradication, he explained.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/national/Clean-up-scheme-signals-new-approach-to-overcrowde-30262073.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2015-06-11

Not sure if it still applies, but some years ago and over an extended period, the royal pardons issued every year excluded drug convictions. Those incarcerated for drug charges were serving almost their full sentence.

"Chanchao said 80 per cent of the 300,000 inmates were drug convicts." So, only 20% are thieves, rapist, murderers and sundry other criminal types.....I am surprised!

nothing to be surprised about, i would say the 80% drug convicted were just that, "convicted for drugs" they just didnt get caught for other offences

By treating drug use as a health problem rather than a crime would lessen the prison problem considerably. Last time I visited a Thai prison I was speaking to a woman who had received 12 months for the possession of a single yaba pill.

Just curious but why are you surprised? That 80% are drug convicts?

"Chanchao said 80 per cent of the 300,000 inmates were drug convicts." So, only 20% are thieves, rapist, murderers and sundry other criminal types.....I am surprised!

I would tend to agree. And traffic deaths in Thailand suggest that alcohol causes much more damage to society than drugs.

By treating drug use as a health problem rather than a crime would lessen the prison problem considerably. Last time I visited a Thai prison I was speaking to a woman who had received 12 months for the possession of a single yaba pill.

Why not follow the example of Indonesia.? That'll fix the prison problem.

Military juntas executing people creates an image problem. The other side of politics, currently under judicial scrutiny, are equally against it for different reasons.

Edited by halloween

Why not follow the example of Indonesia.? That'll fix the prison problem.

That will fix the problem....??

So its fixed the problem in Indonesia then Griffo63.......... Their be so glad to hear it---because they are reporting that there drug use (abuse) has gone up alarmingly --now over 4 million people --comparable to half the population of BKK being confirmed addicts--confirmed addicts not social takers of drugs.

This is how bad Indonesia's drug problem is, the use of illicit drugs is on the rise, with an estimated over four million users, up from 3.2 million in 2004. http://www.straitstimes.com/the-big-story/asia-report/indonesia/story/indonesia-faces-growing-drug-problem-20150222

Yes you have fixed up that drug problem Grffo63........now how about you have a few more Changs before you solve this middle east problem for us........coffee1.gif

Edited by sanuk711

I am surprised to learn that 240,000 people are incarcerated for drug related charges. What a waste.

I can understand if they are pushers or manufacturers or smugglers, but I would expect a large number of these people were small time private users who have been incarcerated under the minimum penalty requirement.

Sadly, jailing small time users accomplishes nothing. What they need is counseling and support, something Thailand won't provide. Jails should be for violent offenders or those people who run brothels, human trafficking rings, boiler rooms etc.

Is it any wonder that violent murderers can do as they please, politicians can steal, land encroachers can steal from the poor, rapists can rape at will when the emphasis is on putting low risk offenders in jail? What a seriously screwed up approach to justice.

If use (not sell) of marihuana brings you in jail, it is logic....

Since you have been to a Thai Female Prison, I have a question. I watched a TV show "Banged-up abroad" a few days back and the showed an alleged Thai Prison where 25 to 30 women were housed in a large cell with no beds, tables and chairs, is that a true picture of a Womans Prison in Thailand ?? If so it is a very inhumane way to treat even criminals !! In the case of the one Yaba Pill 40 hours of public service for a first time offender.

I have little feeling for a repeat offender and none for a dealer.

Since you have been to a Thai Female Prison, I have a question. I watched a TV show "Banged-up abroad" a few days back and the showed an alleged Thai Prison where 25 to 30 women were housed in a large cell with no beds, tables and chairs, is that a true picture of a Womans Prison in Thailand ?? If so it is a very inhumane way to treat even criminals !! In the case of the one Yaba Pill 40 hours of public service for a first time offender.

I have little feeling for a repeat offender and none for a dealer.

When you visit a prison, you don't get anywhere near the cells, but that sounds right. I used to visit male and female sides of the Hilton (wife's sister and husband) and except for King's b/day (and Queen's??) all conversations are conducted by shouting through mesh and across a guard's walkway a good metre wide. Each time, we would buy her over B1000 of food which she would share with cellmates in a "food club" of prisoners who had regular visitors. No visitors and you rely on prison food. Most prisoners try desperately to be transferred close to home.

We were advised to only deposit B500 into her canteen account, and any clothing supplied should be second hand - both to reduce odds of theft by the guards. A lasting impression was my BIL asking for some second hand underpants.

As this is a country with a judicial system and laws making sure there is a justice and equity for all people alike I don’t think there is any, but I can’t help pondering on the below:

How many innocent people in the prison? How many in prison just for being poor? How many scapegoats? How many put in prison just because it is convenient to keep them there? And if we can answer ONE to one single question above, then, how many people disappears?

Foreigners complaining (and rightly so) about how they are discriminated. Then imagine being a pi** poor Thai citizen being taken advantages off

The so called Thai 'Justice' system is IMO completely screwed. Why are the authorities so paranoid about drugs? Whilst I agree the amphetamines are a terrible curse imprisoning minor users for possession of small amounts for self use should not be subject to such draconian sentences. Serious assaults are often let off with a minor punishment whilst minor drug offenders/users are treated as habitual criminals.

Remember the Thai model who was sentenced to 15 years for possession of a miniscule amount of cocaine. Imprisonment in her and numerous similar cases should never have been considered. No wonder Thai prisons are overcrowded.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/733755-bangkok-wellknown-ex-model-yooyee-jailed-15-years-for-cocaine-possession/

Just seeing the topic title I feared the current government was getting radical. I should have known better, only with a democratically elected government we would get

"He said he would propose an amendment to the criminal procedure code for drug offences to have drug convicts appeal to the Central Appeals Court and execute them 15 days after the Appeals Court upholds their death sentence.

"Criminal meets criminal equals archcriminals. I won't listen to the National Human Right Commission or NGOs, because I answer to the country and the public," Chalerm said."

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/national/Chalerm-wants-drug-convicts-executed-15-days-after-30178566.html

MORE RECREATION FOR OVERCROWNING 5555555555

Organize a chain gang type of cleanup program. Chain inmates 3 together, one older and slower

Who can't run fast, 2 younger. Each day at 5AM work detail starts, clean beaches, clean streets

And disinfect trash bins and street below bins. Work detail ends at 11:30 AM, For each 8 hours worked

Their sentence is reduced by 1 day. Any attempts to escape, well you only have to shoot one

Of them in the leg......

My son visited a remand centre with his school the other day, and spoke to a few of the inmates. Some of them have been there over 6 months, awaiting trial on very minor charges, mostly concerning drugs. One 13 year old had been unknowingly carrying drugs for his mother..!

Thailand learned its lessons about the "drug menace" from the US. All Thai pols want votes by looking "tough on crime".

The long-term costs to society are incalculable, a vast social experiment. Of course, ALL drugs should be legalised.

Judges, too, don't want to appear "soft" on crime. But they should also be allowed wide latitude of discretion in sentencing based on the circumstances of each accused.

The separation from society is the punishment. Prison conditions should not be. Cellphones? So What?!? Education. Internet access, including (yikes) Facebook, of course.