Cambodian troops occupy Thai farmer's land in Sa Kaeo

webfact

What points a military junta that can't even guarantee national sovereignty over borders?

yes start a war for some small piece of land....

A tleast they would fight over something real and valuable. Not over religion or some other ideological nonsense .

It is interesting to see, what appears to be a very minor territorial dispute, evolve into a platform for posters to vent political venom, speculation and hateful posts.

I believe most people just read and move on, without the fuel from consumed beverages to aid them.

With respect what appeared to be a very minor territorial dispute in 2011, albeit deliberately fashioned bythe government at the time ( Abhisit deliberately sending his aide Veera Somkwamkid across the Thai/Cambodian border culminating in his, and 6 others, arrest) escalated into a situation with the Thai Army firing cluster munitions at the Cambodian Army.

It doesn't take a lot to get out of hand.

It is interesting to see, what appears to be a very minor territorial dispute, evolve into a platform for posters to vent political venom, speculation and hateful posts.

I believe most people just read and move on, without the fuel from consumed beverages to aid them.

With respect what appeared to be a very minor territorial dispute in 2011, albeit deliberately fashioned bythe government at the time ( Abhisit deliberately sending his aide Veera Somkwamkid across the Thai/Cambodian border culminating in his, and 6 others, arrest) escalated into a situation with the Thai Army firing cluster munitions at the Cambodian Army.

Any evidence linking Abhisit to that PAD loony Veera making the decision about going into Cambodia?

From what I recall at the time pad were raging at the Dems for not following their ultra nationalistic agenda.

Kids need their occasional quarrels.

Just be thankful Abhisit is not in power using the Thai Army as a breast beating Nationalistic club like he did in 2011...........Oh wait a minute, who's in charge now?. Cue a couple of "no, they're not really" cluster bombs ( they're called Dual Purpose Improved Conventional Munitions, DPICM, by the Thai Army, sounds better than cluster bombs and that way they can pretend they're not covered by the world wide ban on cluster munitions that Thailand signed in 2008) being lobbed across the fence in retaliation...............

Of course, had a Thaksin puppet been in power, he could have had a word with his eternal friend.

Probably turned out the Shin family somehow had ownership of the land wink.png

Thanks for raising the TV ridiculously boring factor by a ridiculously boring amount.

Any evidence linking Abhisit to that PAD loony Veera making the decision about going into Cambodia?

From what I recall at the time pad were raging at the Dems for not following their ultra nationalistic agenda.

Sorry, my mistake - Abhisit sent Panich Vikitsreth and then he invited "that PAD loony Veera". Panich Vikitsreth (who at the time was seving as a member of the House committee on Boundary Affairs) numbered amongst his companions, other than "that PAD Loony", more members of the perfectly sane Thailand Patriot Network and a representative from the Dharma Army - what could possibly go wrong?

There's a whole batch of info out there on the web including several incriminating video's but this site conveniently collates the relevant links;

Like this for example, a transcript of the mobile conversation between Panich and a third party

“Hi, Q, right? Can you hear me clearly?. In case we lose the signal here, call Somkiat, the PM’s secretary because I was going to talk to him personally, anyway. Tell Somkiat we’ve crossed the border into Cambodia so we [have someone to contact to] coordinate [with] in case something happens. Tell him that we are now in Cambodian territory. But don’t let anyone else know about it, only the PM knows. Tell the PM to be quiet about this. If there is something, I will coordinate/make contact. Tell [him] we’ve crossed. We’ll try to get to point 46 [46th boundary monument], which is on the Thai side, but is inhabited by Cambodians.”

True to form Abhisit denied any knowledge of the intent to cross the border and claimed that the videos had been taken out of context and had been cut in length (as indeed they were,as far as the first postings on You tube were concerned anyway) and implied the clip had been altered (which it hadn't) to give the wrong impression (that they knew they were on Cambodian territory). Unfortunately for the teflon don, the full 21 minute original of the tape was then posted on you tube which leaves no doubt. The dems went into damage control mode and abhisit clammed up.

Edited by graft

Sorry, my mistake - Abhisit sent Panich Vikitsreth and then he invited "that PAD loony Veera". Panich Vikitsreth (who at the time was seving as a member of the House committee on Boundary Affairs) numbered amongst his companions, other than "that PAD Loony", more members of the perfectly sane Thailand Patriot Network and a representative from the Dharma Army - what could possibly go wrong?

There's a whole batch of info out there on the web including several incriminating video's but this site conveniently collates the relevant links;

Like this for example, a transcript of the mobile conversation between Panich and a third party

“Hi, Q, right? Can you hear me clearly?. In case we lose the signal here, call Somkiat, the PM’s secretary because I was going to talk to him personally, anyway. Tell Somkiat we’ve crossed the border into Cambodia so we [have someone to contact to] coordinate [with] in case something happens. Tell him that we are now in Cambodian territory. But don’t let anyone else know about it, only the PM knows. Tell the PM to be quiet about this. If there is something, I will coordinate/make contact. Tell [him] we’ve crossed. We’ll try to get to point 46 [46th boundary monument], which is on the Thai side, but is inhabited by Cambodians.”

True to form Abhisit denied any knowledge of the intent to cross the border and claimed that the videos had been taken out of context and had been cut in length (as indeed they were,as far as the first postings on You tube were concerned anyway) and implied the clip had been altered (which it hadn't) to give the wrong impression (that they knew they were on Cambodian territory). Unfortunately for the teflon don, the full 21 minute original of the tape was then posted on you tube which leaves no doubt. The dems went into damage control mode and abhisit clammed up.

Hmm, interesting enough article but it seems to be a lot of ifs, whats, buts and maybes based on youtube clips.

Is it a coincidence that Thaksin is having problems with the Prayut government and his very good friend, The Thug, Hun Sen begins to cause problems for the Thai government? I think not. The squabble over the border demarcation for that temple was initiated by a Thaksin's puppet government. Thaksin is still a major player in Thailand and still has strong allies. The Cambodia government didn't just wake up one morning and said, "I think I'll claim some of Thailand's territory today".

Is it a coincidence that Thaksin is having problems with the Prayut government and his very good friend, The Thug, Hun Sen begins to cause problems for the Thai government? I think not. The squabble over the border demarcation for that temple was initiated by a Thaksin's puppet government. Thaksin is still a major player in Thailand and still has strong allies. The Cambodia government didn't just wake up one morning and said, "I think I'll claim some of Thailand's territory today".

You and your silly claims of conspiracies everywhere. What's next a claim that there are dirty rotten commies involved?

Instead of looking to play the blame game, how about some common sense? Is it not possible that is indeed a legitimate disagreement? It is no secret that Cambodia has been marking its border ever since the yellow shirt nationalist Thais who crossed into Cambodia claimed that the border was not marked and they made an innocent mistake. The border marking has been going on for 5 years, usually with the full knowledge of Thailand. Cambodia is using the maps previously accepted by Thailand. In this case we either have a mistake made by Cambodia or a Thai trying to grab some land. This article makes a big stink over a minor disagreement that will be resolved.

Your attempt to spin this as an invented plot speaks to a paucity of common sense and suggests that you live in fantasy world.

It appears that the Cambodians are testing the water, to see how far they can go before being physically challenged.

A similar ploy was carried out by German troops during WW2, when they crossed over a bridge into French territory just prior to their invasion of France.

Although it may appear as a few Cambodian troops intruding onto a few metres of Thai territory, there is more to this than that. It places Thailand in a rather precarious situation. It`s a sort of the testing of strength. Would be interesting to see how this situation transpires.

You and your silly claims of conspiracies everywhere. What's next a claim that there are dirty rotten commies involved?

Instead of looking to play the blame game, how about some common sense? Is it not possible that is indeed a legitimate disagreement? It is no secret that Cambodia has been marking its border ever since the yellow shirt nationalist Thais who crossed into Cambodia claimed that the border was not marked and they made an innocent mistake. The border marking has been going on for 5 years, usually with the full knowledge of Thailand. Cambodia is using the maps previously accepted by Thailand. In this case we either have a mistake made by Cambodia or a Thai trying to grab some land. This article makes a big stink over a minor disagreement that will be resolved.

Your attempt to spin this as an invented plot speaks to a paucity of common sense and suggests that you live in fantasy world.

Is it not possible that is indeed a legitimate disagreement?

No. It is NOT possible that this is a legitimate disagreement. Thailand wasn't notified so couldn't be a party to any 'disagreement'. Even if there is a problem with a border demarcation, a sensible country would petition the government which was occupying contested land. A sensible country wouldn't send soldiers and immediately let Cambodians begin planting seed on the land they claimed. A claim should be worked out by negotiation or treaty or international courts. No, Hun Sen's provocation is too well timed to coincide with the problems his very good friend, the fugitive, felon, ex PM, Thaksin Shinawatra.

The same kind of coincidence that made the Red Shirts come blockade Bangkok (2010) coinciding with the seizing of Thaksin's ill-gotten gains. Funny they didn't protest his overthrow by the army in 2006. Calling my claims, "silly" and otherwise trying to distract from the obvious influence of Thaksin on Thailand doesn't change any facts. Thaksin is too far gone, mentally, to be subtle anymore. He is playing the end-game now and losing badly. He is pulling out the stops just to survive.

Thanks for the opportunity to give more detail to my previous post

It seems strange that the Cambodian incursion into Thailand at that time happened straight after the reds had been cleaned out from BKK.

I hope it had nothing to do with Hun Sen's advisor being in a temper over his inspired and funded riots being unsuccessful.

It seems strange that the Cambodian incursion into Thailand at that time happened straight after the reds had been cleaned out from BKK.

I hope it had nothing to do with Hun Sen's advisor being in a temper over his inspired and funded riots being unsuccessful.

This has nothing to do with Hun Sen's adviser. The physical border demarcation activity has been ongoing since 2013. Public knowledge.

No. It is NOT possible that this is a legitimate disagreement. Thailand wasn't notified so couldn't be a party to any 'disagreement'. Even if there is a problem with a border demarcation, a sensible country would petition the government which was occupying contested land. A sensible country wouldn't send soldiers and immediately let Cambodians begin planting seed on the land they claimed. A claim should be worked out by negotiation or treaty or international courts. No, Hun Sen's provocation is too well timed to coincide with the problems his very good friend, the fugitive, felon, ex PM, Thaksin Shinawatra.

The same kind of coincidence that made the Red Shirts come blockade Bangkok (2010) coinciding with the seizing of Thaksin's ill-gotten gains. Funny they didn't protest his overthrow by the army in 2006. Calling my claims, "silly" and otherwise trying to distract from the obvious influence of Thaksin on Thailand doesn't change any facts. Thaksin is too far gone, mentally, to be subtle anymore. He is playing the end-game now and losing badly. He is pulling out the stops just to survive.

No. You are still making an unfounded claim. There is no conspiracy. The border activity has been known to Thailand for quite some time. Thailand and Cambodia met in January to review progress. They even addressed a dispute in another area.

It appears that the Cambodians are testing the water, to see how far they can go before being physically challenged.

A similar ploy was carried out by German troops during WW2, when they crossed over a bridge into French territory just prior to their invasion of France.

Although it may appear as a few Cambodian troops intruding onto a few metres of Thai territory, there is more to this than that. It places Thailand in a rather precarious situation. It`s a sort of the testing of strength. Would be interesting to see how this situation transpires.

The Cambodians are not testing any waters, because this activity has been ongoing for several years.

I am surprised at the lack of knowledge of current events. Either some people are clueless as to events in the country they live in, or they have some mental health issues. There is absolutely no evidence to support the claim of a plot by Thaksin and/or Hun Sen and/or the UDD. These claims are utterly stupid and unfounded. Why spread this nonsense?

The border activity is no secret. It's been going on for years. A concerted effort was undertaken by Cambodia several years ago to mark its borders. As I mentioned previously when the nonsensical and unsubstantiated claims of a Thaksin linked conspiracy were spat up, the need to set the boundaries became evident after the yellow shirt nationalists were caught trespassing in Cambodia. Shortly after the event, Cambodia entered into discussions with its neighbors to mark their common borders. The marking process started in 2013. It was no secret.

Last July, the media carried multiple reports as to the progress of the Cambodia border activity

Cambodia boundary demarcation underway (23 July 2014)

The majority of Cambodian boundaries with Vietnam and Laos have been demarcated, according to Keo Piseth, a spokesman for Cambodian Parliamentary President Heng Samrin. Piseth estimated that the 1,270-km boundary between Cambodia and Vietnam was over 80 percent demarcated, and the 540km boundary with Laos was over 75 percent demarcated.

Delegations from Vietnam and Laos visited Cambodia to attend a conference on the Cambodia-Laos-Vietnam Triangle Development Area in July. At the meeting, Cambodian National Assembly president stated that Cambodia would prioritize “further enhance[ing] ties between Cambodia and the two countries for mutual benefits.” Boundary demarcation between Cambodia and Thailand to Cambodia’s north and west has slowed due to border disputes and domestic turmoil within Thailand, Xinhua news agency reports.

In October 2014, General Prayuth visited Cambodia. One of the issues on the agenda was the Preaha Vehear Temple border dispute with Cambodia. Shortly thereafter the Ministry of Foreign Affairs on 15 October, released a statement that an international legal advisory team had been assembled, a map drafted and the court judgement translated (in respect to the Temple border). In the meantime, other border demarcation would continue. This was nothing new. Subsequent to Cambodian Defence Minister and Deputy Prime Minister Tea Banh's visit to Thailand last July, a Thai military government spokesman said that Cambodia understood that the ‘political situation in Thailand’ meant that the (Temple border) issue could not progress quickly. The coup has slowed border demarcation activity, but it has continued.

The small dispute which is the subject of this thread is not unusual. There have been other similar incidents. As I stated earlier, the Thais and Cambodians have resolved similar issues previously. Here's a recent example; In January 2015, the Thais and Cambodians met to discuss the border demarcation process,

Cambodia and Thailand to “redraw” disputed boundary section (23 January 2015) Thai 2nd Army Commander Thawat Sukplang announced that a section of disputed boundary between Thailand’s Ubon's Ratchathani's Nam Yuen district and Cambodia's Preah Vihear province will be “redrawn”. Previously, Cambodian road excavations in the vicinity of the Chong Arn Ma border crossing (located at 14° 23’ 17” N, 104° 57’ 56” E) had heightened tensions between the two countries. After road construction began in 2014, Thailand sent 200 soldiers to the region and closed the crossing. All roadwork will be suspended until the border is demarcated, according to to Thawat, and the border crossing will be designated as a permanent border checkpoint after the demarcation is completed. The demarcation news comes after officials from Cambodia and Thailand gathered earlier this month for the 9th meeting of the Cambodia-Thailand Joint Commission for Bilateral Cooperation. Although the officials did not take up the issue of the disputed boundary near the Preah Vihear Temple (which lies around 30 km west of the Chong Arn Ma crossing), a joint statement released by the two countries reported that, “The two sides are also committed to stepping up our relations and cooperation in all important areas.”

There is no need to spread false rumours or to make unfounded claims of plots. The government of Thailand is aware of the situation and has been monitoring the Cambodian border marking activity since it started.

Yes. That's why the Thai Border Police should have turned up armed, arrested the "illegal immigrants", and left it to be sorted at diplomatic level. They would have been legally entitled to arrest all Cambodians on the Thai side. Territorial disputes should be sorted around the table.

Hmm, interesting enough article but it seems to be a lot of ifs, whats, buts and maybes based on youtube clips.

Oh, really? In the old phrase, Panich and the others were caught bang to rights. It was a flagrant illegal crossing of the border staged to stir up nationalism. There's no if's, but's or maybe's about it.

Hi, Q, right? Can you hear me clearly?. In case we lose the signal here, call Somkiat, the PMs secretary because I was going to talk to him personally, anyway. Tell Somkiat weve crossed the border into Cambodia so we [have someone to contact to] coordinate [with] in case something happens. Tell him that we are now in Cambodian territory. But dont let anyone else know about it, only the PM knows. Tell the PM to be quiet about this. If there is something, I will coordinate/make contact. Tell [him] weve crossed. Well try to get to point 46 [46th boundary monument], which is on the Thai side, but is inhabited by Cambodians.

True to form Abhisit denied any knowledge of the intent to cross the border and claimed that the videos had been taken out of context and had been cut in length (as indeed they were,as far as the first postings on You tube were concerned anyway) and implied the clip had been altered (which it hadn't) to give the wrong impression (that they knew they were on Cambodian territory). Unfortunately for the teflon don, the full

of the tape was then posted on you tube which leaves no doubt. The dems went into damage control mode and abhisit clammed up.

Oh, really? In the old phrase, Panich and the others were caught bang to rights. It was a flagrant illegal crossing of the border staged to stir up nationalism. There's no if's, but's or maybe's about it.

Oh yes I know it happened. However I don't see how you are able to claim Abhisit planned it. That story is speculation based on YouTube clips. I asked about evidence.

The whole incident benefited the pad plans not those of the Dems who were refusing to follow the ultra nationalist agenda of pad.

Edited by Bluespunk

What points a military junta that can't even guarantee national sovereignty over borders?

They're tied up purging the winners of the last four democratic elections at the moment.

Once done with that, they'll give the Cambodians a little slap, before possibly losing in an international court and stamping their feet about how great they as Thais are.

coffee1.gif

Shouldn't that be they are tidying up the mess from the supposedly democratic (brought) recent elections; you know the mess of the corruption, lies, issuing dodgy passports to a fugitive criminal, rice schemes designed to enrich their friends,murdering supposed drug dealers, funding civil unrest etc etc.

But you are nearly correct, except it is purging the criminals who brought the elections you are referring to.

They're tied up purging the winners of the last four democratic elections at the moment.

Once done with that, they'll give the Cambodians a little slap, before possibly losing in an international court and stamping their feet about how great they as Thais are.

coffee1.gif

Please advise us all when these"democratic elections" took place ??? Any elections in recent times especially during the Shin years, haven't been democratic.

This has nothing to do with Hun Sen's adviser. The physical border demarcation activity has been ongoing since 2013. Public knowledge.

No. You are still making an unfounded claim. There is no conspiracy. The border activity has been known to Thailand for quite some time. Thailand and Cambodia met in January to review progress. They even addressed a dispute in another area.

The Cambodians are not testing any waters, because this activity has been ongoing for several years.

I am surprised at the lack of knowledge of current events. Either some people are clueless as to events in the country they live in, or they have some mental health issues. There is absolutely no evidence to support the claim of a plot by Thaksin and/or Hun Sen and/or the UDD. These claims are utterly stupid and unfounded. Why spread this nonsense?

The border activity is no secret. It's been going on for years. A concerted effort was undertaken by Cambodia several years ago to mark its borders. As I mentioned previously when the nonsensical and unsubstantiated claims of a Thaksin linked conspiracy were spat up, the need to set the boundaries became evident after the yellow shirt nationalists were caught trespassing in Cambodia. Shortly after the event, Cambodia entered into discussions with its neighbors to mark their common borders. The marking process started in 2013. It was no secret.

Last July, the media carried multiple reports as to the progress of the Cambodia border activity

The majority of Cambodian boundaries with Vietnam and Laos have been demarcated, according to Keo Piseth, a spokesman for Cambodian Parliamentary President Heng Samrin. Piseth estimated that the 1,270-km boundary between Cambodia and Vietnam was over 80 percent demarcated, and the 540km boundary with Laos was over 75 percent demarcated.

Delegations from Vietnam and Laos visited Cambodia to attend a conference on the Cambodia-Laos-Vietnam Triangle Development Area in July. At the meeting, Cambodian National Assembly president stated that Cambodia would prioritize “further enhance[ing] ties between Cambodia and the two countries for mutual benefits.” Boundary demarcation between Cambodia and Thailand to Cambodia’s north and west has slowed due to border disputes and domestic turmoil within Thailand, Xinhua news agency reports.

In October 2014, General Prayuth visited Cambodia. One of the issues on the agenda was the Preaha Vehear Temple border dispute with Cambodia. Shortly thereafter the Ministry of Foreign Affairs on 15 October, released a statement that an international legal advisory team had been assembled, a map drafted and the court judgement translated (in respect to the Temple border). In the meantime, other border demarcation would continue. This was nothing new. Subsequent to Cambodian Defence Minister and Deputy Prime Minister Tea Banh's visit to Thailand last July, a Thai military government spokesman said that Cambodia understood that the ‘political situation in Thailand’ meant that the (Temple border) issue could not progress quickly. The coup has slowed border demarcation activity, but it has continued.

The small dispute which is the subject of this thread is not unusual. There have been other similar incidents. As I stated earlier, the Thais and Cambodians have resolved similar issues previously. Here's a recent example; In January 2015, the Thais and Cambodians met to discuss the border demarcation process,

Cambodia and Thailand to “redraw” disputed boundary section (23 January 2015) Thai 2nd Army Commander Thawat Sukplang announced that a section of disputed boundary between Thailand’s Ubon's Ratchathani's Nam Yuen district and Cambodia's Preah Vihear province will be “redrawn”. Previously, Cambodian road excavations in the vicinity of the Chong Arn Ma border crossing (located at 14° 23’ 17” N, 104° 57’ 56” E) had heightened tensions between the two countries. After road construction began in 2014, Thailand sent 200 soldiers to the region and closed the crossing. All roadwork will be suspended until the border is demarcated, according to to Thawat, and the border crossing will be designated as a permanent border checkpoint after the demarcation is completed. The demarcation news comes after officials from Cambodia and Thailand gathered earlier this month for the 9th meeting of the Cambodia-Thailand Joint Commission for Bilateral Cooperation. Although the officials did not take up the issue of the disputed boundary near the Preah Vihear Temple (which lies around 30 km west of the Chong Arn Ma crossing), a joint statement released by the two countries reported that, “The two sides are also committed to stepping up our relations and cooperation in all important areas.”

There is no need to spread false rumours or to make unfounded claims of plots. The government of Thailand is aware of the situation and has been monitoring the Cambodian border marking activity since it started.

I think that possibly the fact that Hun Sen made Thaksin an economic advisor to the Cambodian government goes some way to these "rumours"

http://www.economist.com/node/14857229

It's strange how a topic on a woman's disputed weed patch turns into a political whinge session.

I dont think its at all strange, come on TIT, have you never come across "face"???

I think that possibly the fact that Hun Sen made Thaksin an economic advisor to the Cambodian government goes some way to these "rumours"

Are you serious, or is this attempt to stir up sh*t? The article you posted is from 2009. We are in 2015. Your article is out of date and not relevant.

I have provided current press releases. Too bad you can't do the same. Are you so obsessed with blaming Thaksin and Hun Sen that you post misleading information?

How many times do you have to be told that physical border border demarcation started in 2013 and that Thailand and Cambodia have a scheduled PM to PM meeting on the issue every year, that the relevant ministries meet from time to time and that there have been previous disagreements of similar nature which have been resolved. This event is a non issue.

Are you and the clowns posting conspiracy claims even aware that there are regular confrontations on the Myanmar border, and that there are parts of the Laos/Thai border where Thais have been arrested by Laotian authorities? Are you aware that there still is a contested area of the Thai/Malaysia border? Are the clowns going to blame Thaksin for these areas too?

Go away Gerry, I was answering a poster who claimed Abhisit had deliberately started the 2011 dispute over the land round the temple.

Instead of twisting it out of context, if you want to quote my posts also quote the one I was answering.

Are you serious, or is this attempt to stir up sh*t? The article you posted is from 2009. We are in 2015. Your article is out of date and not relevant.

I have provided current press releases. Too bad you can't do the same. Are you so obsessed with blaming Thaksin and Hun Sen that you post misleading information?

How many times do you have to be told that physical border border demarcation started in 2013 and that Thailand and Cambodia have a scheduled PM to PM meeting on the issue every year, that the relevant ministries meet from time to time and that there have been previous disagreements of similar nature which have been resolved. This event is a non issue.

Are you and the clowns posting conspiracy claims even aware that there are regular confrontations on the Myanmar border, and that there are parts of the Laos/Thai border where Thais have been arrested by Laotian authorities? Are you aware that there still is a contested area of the Thai/Malaysia border? Are the clowns going to blame Thaksin for these areas too?

Unbelievable.. You discard the fact that Thaksin and Hun Sen's relationship is at a level where Hun Sen would purposely upset the Prime Minister of an adjoining country at a time that suited his friend and golfing partner Thaksin!

There have always been border confrontations with Thailand's adjoining neighbour's, it's what happens when there have been so many border changes!

Which actually makes it even stranger that Thaksin would accept a job in such a situation. No?

Also all I said is the Conspiracy theories MAY come from this fact!

Your reading comprehension is usually better than this!

Cambodia sucks - always has, always will... One or the most depressing and god forsaken countries I have ever been. Apparently, depression leads to aggression. Leave the poor farmer alone, will ya?

A bit of a generalisation and a sweeping statement isn't it?

sure.............. Cambodia has its issues and problems and is still under the influence of a Vietnamese installed dictator lining his own and his band of merry mens pockets, as all despots do: but with its recent history the people could do with a bit of a helping hand.

Many of those in business I have come across, the Police force, Army and government positions can be as greedy and arrogant as most other Asian countries ( I think they all go on the same courses ) that doesn't apply to the people on the ground that you come across day to day.

The place is not perfect and has a long way to go, but I disagree that it " sucks ". It's depressing?? In what way? They are a race of people plodding on and trying to get ahead.

I find a lot of the younger generation from 7-20 years old are " school mad " with an insatiable appetite for learning and to get ahead and with a far better understanding oif English and French than the Thais, Laotians and Vietnamese in that age group.

and so therefore do you believe Thailand is the land of milk and honey???........ because it most certainly is not!

LOL - Are you from the States.