Single visa for two kingdoms #CAM #THA

geovalin

Cambodia and Thailand have joined hands to increase foreign and inter-ASEAN tourism under the “Two Kingdoms One Destination” tourism pact.

Tith Chantha, secretary of state at Cambodia’s Ministry of Tourism, said Cambodia and Thailand have already created a single-visa option for tourists looking to explore both countries in one trip.

“Now, we’re joining with Thailand to promote Two Kingdoms, One Destination. It will make it much easier for tourists who don’t want to visit only one country during their trip,” he said.

read more: http://www.phnompenhpost.com/business/single-visa-two-kingdoms

Single visa for two kingdoms

12-6-2558-10-53-56-wpcf_728x413.jpg

BANGKOK: -- Cambodia and Thailand have joined hands to increase foreign and inter-ASEAN tourism under the “Two Kingdoms One Destination” tourism pact by introducing a single-visa option for tourists, The Phnom Penh Post reported.

Cambodia’s Ministry of Tourism secretary of state Tith Chantha said this is a collaboration between the two countries to promote “Two Kingdoms, One Destination.”

This will make it much easier for tourists who don’t want to visit only one country during their trip, he said, adding: “Thailand has a lot of airlines operating long-haul to Europe or the United States – we don’t have many of those long flights, so we will benefit from this once the campaign kicks in.”

Thailand’s Tourism and Sports Minister Kobkran Wattanavrangkul, told the Bangkok Post that the campaign would run from 2015 to 2017.

The campaign will promote two major tourist routes. One will run along the Gulf of Thailand’s coastline, going through Bangkok, Rayong, and Trat in Thailand to Koh Kong, Sihanoukville, Kampot and Phnom Penh.

The other will also originate in Bangkok and end in Phnom Penh, but will go through further inland from Aranyaprathet in Thailand to Poipet, Battambang, and Siem Reap.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/single-visa-for-two-kingdoms

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2015-06-12

I think this is an old idea that has been kicked around before, but I'll leave it for others to search for the relevant threads - maybe 3 years ago. For sure it's a good idea for holidaymakers wanting to take in both countries temples without all the hassle of the extra visa, but it'll probably not cover the combination of a Cambodian business visa and a Thai non-* long term visa/extension.

Could make it harder to break up long term stays in Thailand without being accused of residing here.

Which is what you would be doing if you have to break up long term stays, right?

Anyway I cant see them closing down consulates or immigration offices at border points giving up revenue. If its a 30 day visa for one trip between both countries thats entirely different than double entry tourist visas

Originally, I think the last time they tried this , the special tourist visa was only issued outside Thailand and Cambodia and in your country of residency.

It was not a success......

Lest see what happen this time.

Great innovation and good collective marketing but I don't think this article tells the whole story

Most get fee, free visa on arrival to Thailand, Cambodia has an efficient visa on arrival service at Phnom Penh & Siem Reap airports but there is a US$ fee to be paid.

So what's changed?

Will the Cambodian government offer fee, free Tourist Visas under this new deal?

A colleague of mine recently told me that the Cambodian Gov. has made work visas for the over 55's more difficult to get since the beginning of this year to the point where hotels and schools are very hesitant to recruit.

Anyone know more on this?

"Single Visa" is a terrible name for this. I had no idea what it was until I read through the story. I was thinking about single entry visa... don't they already have that?? Maybe "Joint Visa" would be better.

No?

ThaiBodia visa?

So like me, I go to Cambodia every 30 days for a night, then return to get my thai tourist stamp,

What does that mean for me now? as in now... or is this just something that may happen? if so how would that affect me... would it simply mean I have to go to Laos instead?

Thanks

Apparently it doesn't affect me as I am in Thailand on a Retirement Visa. I would enjoy being able to visit Cambodia without any visa or re-entry permit hassles! ... Maybe someday wai2.gifcoffee1.gif

May be possible under the AEC treaty.....just what the UK is trying to put a stop to at home!

Apparently it doesn't affect me as I am in Thailand on a Retirement Visa. I would enjoy being able to visit Cambodia without any visa or re-entry permit hassles! ... Maybe someday wai2.gifcoffee1.gif

May be possible under the AEC treaty.....just what the UK is trying to put a stop to at home!

Does that mean you need a cambodian spouse ? ;)

This is a surprisingly progressive idea- kudos to the people who made it happen!

and let us hope they have less incentive to continue / start petty squabbles about thin strips of land along the border between them.....

Sounds great but the devil is in the details. It could well give with one hand and take away

with the other. I am sure it will be designed for single trip tourists not ex-pats staying

long term using tourist visas and border runs. whistling.gif

How do they write an article like that and not even bother to mention a single detail about the kind of visa they're talking about???

Tourist visa or named something else? Good for how long? How many entries? Applied for thru whom/where? Fee or no fee?

And yet the PP Post manages to give us oodles of info about the quarterly and annual tourist arrival numbers. bah.gif

The original joint visa allowed for

• one entry each to Thailand and Cambodia for a maximum stay in each country of 60 days;
  • could apply at either Thai or Cambodian embassy, but visa fees for both countries must be paid;

Note that it does not allow a side trip to Cambodia with two Thai entries (though I doubt there would be a problem with visa exempt entry for those who would normally qualify). There is a slight advantage for those who wish to stay more than 30 but less than 60 days in Cambodia. I cannot see any advantage from the Thai visa perspective.

Does the new announcement incorporate any changes? Is there any other reason to do otherwise than ignore this?

So can you now have a retirement extension and go visit Cambodia by car without needing a re-entry permit? Is it now like it is in Europe and we can travel both country's as if its only one?

• 3 months later...

Now a few months down the line from this 'latest' single visa announcement. Has anybody got experience of how it works? if one gets a Thai visa from a Thai embassy eg in Europe, does it state 'including 1 entry for Cambodia' or does one have to expressly ask for it? What are the 'new' fees?Does one get 1 visa which can gain entry at both borders or is anything additional required? I'd rather find out now than find out at PP airport or at Poipet border crossing! I have mooched here and there on the internet and obviously not found the answers to these questions hence posting here, thanks to anyone who can assist.P

Archived