Us Ssa Checks

Sorry is this has been hashed. I searched the forum and couldn't find any threads.

Situation/Preferences:

-no US bank (and don't want one)

-prefer not to use BKK Bank direct deposit because of all the silly restrictions

-Thai friend whose mom retired from US Embassy told me about problems cashing her pension check

Solutions?

TIA

Cashing a monthly ssa check at bangkok bank should be no problem. There will be a delay. I don't get regular checks but did cash one once at bangkok bank and there was no problem but I think the delay was about a month. If you did this every month I'm sure it would become routine for you and the cashier at your bank after just a few months. There is some charge but I can't remember how much.

Let's face it....if you can only receive your ssa money either through a check or a wire then you will need the services of a bank to convert it into cash....I really can't see any way around it.

Cashing a monthly ssa check at bangkok bank should be no problem. There will be a delay. I don't get regular checks but did cash one once at bangkok bank and there was no problem but I think the delay was about a month. If you did this every month I'm sure it would become routine for you and the cashier at your bank after just a few months. There is some charge but I can't remember how much.

Let's face it....if you can only receive your ssa money either through a check or a wire then you will need the services of a bank to convert it into cash....I really can't see any way around it.

I know that .. I just don't want to use the Bangkok Bank SSA direct deposit if I don't have to.

On that account, you can't have an ATM card, you can't transfer the $$ to another account by ATM. The only way to get the money is to go in person to the bank .. during banking hours.

While that is no really big deal, I'm 15 km from the nearest BKK Bank. And I have been told that regional banks can't even accept the checks for deposit.

That's why I am looking at alternatives.

While I can deposit company checks in my ATM account (I do so every month), they will not accept a Social Security check.

The reason for the restrictions is in case of your death so the money does not disappear. If you plan to be here for awhile why not use the direct deposit system and then move into a normal account at your leasure? You can always have more than one account and the other account can have an ATM card for your use. It appears you already do have the other account anyhow. So what is the difference in handing in a transfer slip each month rather than depositing a check? Seems like it would be the best option.