Chakpong beach.. how to access

steve654

It's really very important for me to go there..........lol laugh.png

Just curious really as I see Novotel and Rayong Marriott on the beach there and some condo units

refer to it as Chak Pong Beach. Maybe they named it that themselves to make everyone think it's

there own little beach or something like that but I doubt I could park a car for free at Novo or Marriott

just to get to the beach.

I know the stretch of road you refer to (3145) starting with the Oriental Beach Resort (condos) to Laem Mae Phim Beach (Novotel and Marriot in the middle).

Personally have looked for beach property there to buy and found that the only access to the beach is either through the resorts on 3145 highway OR just go down the little dirt roads off of 3145 until you reach the beach. Sorry can't be of more help....as I said never heard of Chak Pong beach

Thanks, that's the beach that the locals call Chak Pong then.

I was looking for beach property there too. Seems like a nice area to retire, but I need to hang around there for a

few months with my Wife to see how she feels about it. The litter on the beach is always a little depressing, but the

area itself feels quite nice.

Actually, after doing a little more research, Chak Phong is an area of the Klaeng district of Rayong ....apparently it goes from a few kilometers before Oriental Beach Resort to just short of Mae Phim Resort .......which includes various beaches of other names

I was looking for beach property there too. Seems like a nice area to retire, but I need to hang around there for a

few months with my Wife to see how she feels about it. The litter on the beach is always a little depressing, but the

Yes the beaches are dirty....(usually only a few months out of the year when its the worst!). After having lived in the Rayong area on the beach I've found the weather to be FANTASTIC ... mild heat and rain, generally with offshore breezes to cool things even more!

Further east near the Marriot where you are thinking of is extremely isolated.20- 30 minute drive to Rayong city (which generally has every thing you need ...Tesco, Big C, Makro, Home Pro, Global, Thai Watsadui and now Central Mall.) BUT if the quiet life is what you are looking for ....it would be a great area to investigate...

Good Lucksmile.png

Yes the beaches are dirty....(usually only a few months out of the year when its the worst!). After having lived in the Rayong area on the beach I've found the weather to be FANTASTIC ... mild heat and rain, generally with offshore breezes to cool things even more!

Further east near the Marriot where you are thinking of is extremely isolated.20- 30 minute drive to Rayong city (which generally has every thing you need ...Tesco, Big C, Makro, Home Pro, Global, Thai Watsadui and now Central Mall.) BUT if the quiet life is what you are looking for ....it would be a great area to investigate...

Good Lucksmile.png

Glad to know someone who actually lives around the beaches in Rayong smile.png Last month I stayed a month in Thailand and after visiting so many areas including Cha-Am, Hua Hin and the lovely town of Prachuap Khiri Kha. Then we made a one day visit to Rayong and just loved the weather and whole atmosphere at the beaches. The wind and milder temps were a real relief.

Was concerned too that Mae Phim maybe just a little too far away, but I did notice a fairly large Tesco Lotus about 15km north of the beach in Klaeng. Will be back scouting the area again and stay a few months to make up our minds hopefully and now that you mentioned all the shops in Rayong city, we will take a much better look what's going on there as well, thanks!

Just one last question if you don't mind.......which months are the beaches usually the most dirty so I can make a mental note to avoid those months when I stay there with my wife? I need to plan these things ahead laugh.png

Steve 654....you ask

Just one last question if you don't mind.......which months are the beaches usually the most dirty so I can make a mental note to avoid those months when I stay there with my wife? I need to plan these things ahead laugh.png

December to Feburary -March is the best weather (as it is in most of Thailand). The cool night breezes come from the North at that time of year....so the sea is also calm since its an offshore wind. April and some of May the garbage on the beach is usually really bad as the winds shift and come from the South West and , my guess is ...that all the garbage that has been kept off the beach because of the winter North breeze is now being pushed back to the beaches...City of Rayong though has been pretty vigilant though recently about gov workers cleaning the beaches on a regular basis.(unfortunately its a constant job as the local just throw their garbage on the beach when they descend at night)....

Good Luck in your searchthumbsup.gif

Glad to know someone who actually lives around the beaches in Rayong smile.png Last month I stayed a month in Thailand and after visiting so many areas including Cha-Am, Hua Hin and the lovely town of Prachuap Khiri Kha. Then we made a one day visit to Rayong and just loved the weather and whole atmosphere at the beaches. The wind and milder temps were a real relief.

Was concerned too that Mae Phim maybe just a little too far away, but I did notice a fairly large Tesco Lotus about 15km north of the beach in Klaeng. Will be back scouting the area again and stay a few months to make up our minds hopefully and now that you mentioned all the shops in Rayong city, we will take a much better look what's going on there as well, thanks!

I live in Mae Phim. There is indeed a decently sized Tesco Lotus in Klaeng, although their "farang stuff" stock isn't particularly impressive.

I'm not a beach person myself, but I haven't had any trouble parking at Novotel to eat at one of their restaurants. I shouldn't think they would object if I decided to take a stroll on the beach.

It may be just the property where I live, or this year, but I spent 2-3 years living in Southern Thailand and never experienced the kind of heat we've had this April/May/June (moved here in March this year). Absolutely nuts.

Steve 654....you ask

December to Feburary -March is the best weather (as it is in most of Thailand). The cool night breezes come from the North at that time of year....so the sea is also calm since its an offshore wind. April and some of May the garbage on the beach is usually really bad as the winds shift and come from the South West and , my guess is ...that all the garbage that has been kept off the beach because of the winter North breeze is now being pushed back to the beaches...City of Rayong though has been pretty vigilant though recently about gov workers cleaning the beaches on a regular basis.(unfortunately its a constant job as the local just throw their garbage on the beach when they descend at night)....

Good Luck in your searchthumbsup.gif

Again, thanks for the info smile.png Good to know it's not too bad most of the year. I was there in May and although there was garbage everywhere on the beach in Mae Phim, it wasn't as bad as being shown on youtube videos thankfully. Nice to know the City of Rayong is taking beach cleaning more seriously too.

I live in Mae Phim. There is indeed a decently sized Tesco Lotus in Klaeng, although their "farang stuff" stock isn't particularly impressive.

I'm not a beach person myself, but I haven't had any trouble parking at Novotel to eat at one of their restaurants. I shouldn't think they would object if I decided to take a stroll on the beach.

It may be just the property where I live, or this year, but I spent 2-3 years living in Southern Thailand and never experienced the kind of heat we've had this April/May/June (moved here in March this year). Absolutely nuts.

Try living on the beach.....the weather in Rayong (Hat Saeng Chan Beach) is FANTASTIC....averaging 31during the day and cooler at night ...AND the sea breeze makes it feel even cooler. Sorry to say ....your right though ...houses behind the beachfront homes get HOT weather (no breeze) so probably hotter inland.

SInce we were most of May in Bangkok, Mae Phim was a big relief compared to the heat in BK!

If one can't speak Thai, how would I convince the Novotel security guard at the gate to let me park a car to go to the restaurant?

SInce we were most of May in Bangkok, Mae Phim was a big relief compared to the heat in BK!

If one can't speak Thai, how would I convince the Novotel security guard at the gate to let me park a car to go to the restaurant?

I don't speak much Thai. The security guy has never asked me any questions, I just drive past him and park. They usually ask at the restaurant if I'm a guest (room numnber) or not, and everyone seems cool that I'm not.

I don't speak much Thai. The security guy has never asked me any questions, I just drive past him and park. They usually ask at the restaurant if I'm a guest (room numnber) or not, and everyone seems cool that I'm not.

I have to give breakfast a try then next time I am there. Looking forward to it, thanks.

Try living on the beach.....the weather in Rayong (Hat Saeng Chan Beach) is FANTASTIC....averaging 31during the day and cooler at night ...AND the sea breeze makes it feel even cooler. Sorry to say ....your right though ...houses behind the beachfront homes get HOT weather (no breeze) so probably hotter inland.

I have seaviews from my rooftop terrace... There's a handful of shackles between us and the sea, probably no more than 200-300 ft to the water. I suspect it's the silly way these houses are constructed, they turn into a kind of greenhouses. Used to live in simpler abodes down South, never needed more than a fan; can't survive without the AC at this place.

I do like the climate though, it seems more even than down South; fewer extremes. Hopefully there'll be more rain soon, the municipal water supply has been cut off on a bit too many occasions in the last month or two.

• 2 weeks later...

Chakphong (which is how I write it) is, in fact, my local tumbon, and I can vouch for all the generally positive comments on this thread.

One thing you may wish to be aware of if you're planning to settle here is that the local immigration office (Rayong-Maptaput) is located on the other side of Rayong City, about 40 km away and an hour's drive depending on the traffic. No probs with 90-day reporting to them by snail mail, though, in my experience (haven't yet tried the electronic option).

Archived