Another crackdown on Pretties

heybruce

Let me ask you this. If there are two bars side by side and all things being equal about them but one had pretties serving and the other one did not which one would you think punters would prefer to enter? smile.png

Not only that but the bar owner does not have to pay the pretties. They are provided by the beer company as a reward for the bar buying a certain number of boxes of beer. At least that is what I was told by one bar owner.

How much beer do I have to buy to get my own pretty?biggrin.png

I may not be remembering correctly but I think he said 10 boxes for 1 girl 1 night. He told me he would order 20 boxes of each kind of girl at a time so he would have good looking girls working for free on friday and saturday night. The rest of the week he would have his regular waitresses working.

Tempting, but I think I'll stick to the bars. Going through ten boxes of beer a night might cause me to lose focus on the pretty.

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What do those girls get paid, anyway? I would guess very little. Do they get tipped well? Or their bottoms pinched more?

Some of them seem to probably spend more on make-up than they could possibly take in in an evening.

Otherwise, speaking of pretties --- other than note that Thailand is clearly overloaded with them --- what about the ones at all the cosmetic counters. Do they really make a living ? Well, maybe they get free cosmetics.

12,000 a month basic is the going rate. Bonuses and tips bring the better Pretties up to 30,000 a month.

What do those girls get paid, anyway? I would guess very little. Do they get tipped well? Or their bottoms pinched more?

Some of them seem to probably spend more on make-up than they could possibly take in in an evening.

Otherwise, speaking of pretties --- other than note that Thailand is clearly overloaded with them --- what about the ones at all the cosmetic counters. Do they really make a living ? Well, maybe they get free cosmetics.

12,000 a month basic is the going rate. Bonuses and tips bring the better Pretties up to 30,000 a month.

I am writing an article and would like to quote these figures. Can you tell me where they came from?

If a business depends on the magnificently mis-named 'pretties', it cannot be much of a place ...

Let me ask you this. If there are two bars side by side and all things being equal about them but one had pretties serving and the other one did not which one would you think punters would prefer to enter? smile.png

Not only that but the bar owner does not have to pay the pretties. They are provided by the beer company as a reward for the bar buying a certain number of boxes of beer. At least that is what I was told by one bar owner.

Just down about 8 bottles of Chang or Leo gut rot beer and after a few minutes even the uglys will look like pretties.

I may not be remembering correctly but I think he said 10 boxes for 1 girl 1 night. He told me he would order 20 boxes of each kind of girl at a time so he would have good looking girls working for free on friday and saturday night. The rest of the week he would have his regular waitresses working.

Tempting, but I think I'll stick to the bars. Going through ten boxes of beer a night might cause me to lose focus on the pretty.

After even 1 box of beer I'm not sure it matters what she looks like. wink.png

EDIT: Ack.. BJ beat me to it.

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

I am writing an article and would like to quote these figures. Can you tell me where they came from?

^ If you're writing an article then do at least go talk to some of the girls themselves and schedule an interview.

(Don't be like typical Western newspapers and magazines. ;) )

"One international on-line hospitality expert stated that Thai women working as "beer girls" start at basic salaries of 12,000 thb per month but can earn as much as 30,000 thb per month with bonuses and tips."

Leave the beer pretties alone!!! Thailand is slowly becoming a boring totalitarian communist rules only no fun place and I hate that!

My vote goes to Leo

leo_beer_girls_calendar2010_1.jpg

" ... Thailand is slowly becoming a boring totalitarian communist rules only ... " Totally ludicrous comment.

You hate it ? I'm happy with it.

I take it you know the whereabouts of the airports, and the several land borders.

Assuming at least one of these models is not a genuine female in the land of scams which one is the Ladyboy?

Edited by arunsakda

^ If you're writing an article then do at least go talk to some of the girls themselves and schedule an interview.

(Don't be like typical Western newspapers and magazines. wink.png )

I've never tried that one: "I'm writing an article, can I schedule a, um, private interview with you?"

Thanks for the tip!

Most of the pretties I've talked to told me they were students, usually Rajabhat or a technical university (trade school), although two had full time day jobs--one was an elementary school teacher and another an officer manager. I was under the impression they were hourly workers, not on salary.

There's at least two kinds of "pretties": Promotion girls and waitresses.

Promotion girls (in Bangkok) are students in many cases, they go to college or university in the daytime and work in the evenings, getting paid by breweries.

Waitresses get paid by the bars.

Leave the beer pretties alone!!! Thailand is slowly becoming a boring totalitarian communist rules only no fun place and I hate that!

My vote goes to Leo

" ... Thailand is slowly becoming a boring totalitarian communist rules only ... " Totally ludicrous comment.

I take it you know the whereabouts of the airports, and the several land borders.

You know, Technikalll, I am bored, sick and tired of this "if you don't like it go home" statement. If one always is mocked or hushed whenever he/she feels it is time to speak up against things that change to the worse in Thailand, it is useless to engage in any communication about this country at all - regardless of in a forum or during a casual chat in a bar. I believe that you don;t know this country for long and that you did not have the chance to enjoy the good old days back then in Thailand some 20, 30 years ago, when this truly was a fun place. You must be blind and deaf if you can't see that Thailand is going down south, especially with a ruler at the helm who can't achieve anything but blasting out more and more ridiculous rules and regulations, crackdowns preferrably on part foreign owned businesses, while bringing down tourist numbers by more than 40% with no light on the horizon, babbling utter nonsense in front of cameras such as pretty sexy dressed tourist girls getting killed, raped and sodomized in Thailand are at fault themselves. If you can't see and realize that all these small clampdowns on fun things just like these beer pretties turn Thailand into a boring lame copy of a prudish Singapore, you must be eating some kind of happy pills and I wonder if they are legal...

My vote goes to Leo

Assuming at least one of these models is not a genuine female in the land of scams which one is the Ladyboy?

I assume it is the one to the right, "dressed" in red :)

You know, Technikalll, I am bored, sick and tired of this "if you don't like it go home" statement. If one always is mocked or hushed whenever he/she feels it is time to speak up against things that change to the worse in Thailand, it is useless to engage in any communication about this country at all - regardless of in a forum or during a casual chat in a bar. I believe that you don;t know this country for long and that you did not have the chance to enjoy the good old days back then in Thailand some 20, 30 years ago, when this truly was a fun place. You must be blind and deaf if you can't see that Thailand is going down south, especially with a ruler at the helm who can't achieve anything but blasting out more and more ridiculous rules and regulations, crackdowns preferrably on part foreign owned businesses, while bringing down tourist numbers by more than 40% with no light on the horizon, babbling utter nonsense in front of cameras such as pretty sexy dressed tourist girls getting killed, raped and sodomized in Thailand are at fault themselves. If you can't see and realize that all these small clampdowns on fun things just like these beer pretties turn Thailand into a boring lame copy of a prudish Singapore, you must be eating some kind of happy pills and I wonder if they are legal...

* Agree that 'If you don't like it go home' isn't really a fruitful response to anything.

* Disagree that Thailand was more fun 20 years ago. It's still fun, no matter what kind of fun anyone is looking for. Many of the folks who were here 20-30 years ago have gotten a little more jaded, are less easily impressed, some may have gotten a little older, and a select few may not be the babe-magnet Adonises they were back then. So you have to adjust for that in assessing fun. wink.png But when you really go for it you can have tons of fun, just like before, and as additional evidence you can also look at newer, younger tourists and visitors who are all having a complete blast.

* Agree with you on the current government, though keep in mind these guys have always been there, alternating behind and in front of the scenes. It's not so different.

* Disagree that all of the laws and crackdowns are for the worse; some were kind of on the cards for anyone with common sense to pursue.. Are they effective.. well mostly not. But you got to table some issues regarding labor issues, trafficking of people, traffic for everyone, etc. That's part of growing up as a country; you can feel positive about the romantic view of a Wild West / Wild East free-for-all, but in all seriousness a bit of sanity here and there is a good thing.

Anyway, perhaps we can both rejoice that all of the vice related crackdowns are so woefully incompetent and corrupt that there won't be any real impact regardless. If/when Thailand eventually turns into Hong Kong or Singapore (or worse, Sweden) it won't be because of these clowns, it'll just be the falling birthrate, growing middle class, rising education levels, etc. If anything the current government will DELAY those things, with sufficiency castles in the sky, endemic corruption and keeping down the poor.

EDIT: Mixed bag above. Take your pick.. wink.png

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

you can ask the free lancers not the promotion ladies to come and sit with you, but you have to buy a jug of cocktails which can run from 300/600bht a jug,and I guess it depends on your pulling skills whether or not it goes any further,my observations seems as though it just for company though, they always seem to sit at a table which has at least two to three thai men dining.love to give it a try but my thai not all that good,and if she not speak English well talk soon dry up.

* Disagree that Thailand was more fun 20 years ago. It's still fun, no matter what kind of fun anyone is looking for. Many of the folks who were here 20-30 years ago have gotten a little more jaded, are less easily impressed, some may have gotten a little older, and a select few may not be the babe-magnet Adonises they were back then. So you have to adjust for that in assessing fun. wink.png But when you really go for it you can have tons of fun, just like before, and as additional evidence you can also look at newer, younger tourists and visitors who are all having a complete blast.

Although I don't partake in the 'pretties' anymore (bought one and took her home, not quite as pretty now, more of a comfy lived in shoe).

It's nice to know when (or if) I ever need a new one, there is a plentiful supply in the Chiang Mai lady forest.

Although I don't partake in the 'pretties' anymore (bought one and took her home, not quite as pretty now, more of a comfy lived in shoe).

It's nice to know when (or if) I ever need a new one, there is a plentiful supply in the Chiang Mai lady forest.

From what I have seen Chiang Mai was a lot more fun 20 years ago as far as the girlie bars are concerned. I can't say much about the rest of thailand.

From what I have seen Chiang Mai was a lot more fun 20 years ago as far as the girlie bars are concerned. I can't say much about the rest of thailand.

Maybe you've got older?

* Agree that 'If you don't like it go home' isn't really a fruitful response to anything.

* Agree with you on the current government, though keep in mind these guys have always been there, alternating behind and in front of the scenes. It's not so different.

* Disagree that all of the laws and crackdowns are for the worse; some were kind of on the cards for anyone with common sense to pursue.. Are they effective.. well mostly not. But you got to table some issues regarding labor issues, trafficking of people, traffic for everyone, etc. That's part of growing up as a country; you can feel positive about the romantic view of a Wild West / Wild East free-for-all, but in all seriousness a bit of sanity here and there is a good thing.

Anyway, perhaps we can both rejoice that all of the vice related crackdowns are so woefully incompetent and corrupt that there won't be any real impact regardless. If/when Thailand eventually turns into Hong Kong or Singapore (or worse, Sweden) it won't be because of these clowns, it'll just be the falling birthrate, growing middle class, rising education levels, etc. If anything the current government will DELAY those things, with sufficiency castles in the sky, endemic corruption and keeping down the poor.

EDIT: Mixed bag above. Take your pick.. wink.png

Very well put response - thank you for that, Winnie the Khwai, agree with you on all of it. Very seldom that one takes the time and invests the brains to hammer up a thoughtful response like this. Very much appreciated - you made my day! thumbsup.gif

Maybe you've got older?

I have gotten older. The girls on Loi Kroh road have gotten older and wider. 20 years ago there were many girlie bars at the night bazaar with cute young girls. They stayed open until midnight then we would go to Loi Kroh road that was loaded with even more young cute girls and they stayed open until the last customer left. Then we would go to the beer bar center where a lot of the girls that got off work also went. The party went on until the sun came up every night with plenty of eye candy to be seen all hours of the night. Can the same be said today?

may not be the babe-magnet Adonises they were back then.

may not be the babe-magnet Adonises baht-magnetic Adoni$e$ they were they imagined themselves as back then.

ftfy :)

~o:37;

I know more than one "Pretty," manager, including one who is legendary in the trade. The amount of money involved can be staggering. I was at two recent Thai promo events, and by fluke I was the only farang, or only farang table at the event. The second event, at a restaurant that just about every CM expat has never heard of generated 58,000 baht table money. The restaurant owner told me that the event grossed over 180,000 baht. I believe him, my table spent over 4,000 baht - and there were 80 tables there.

That was in a Thai restaurant that just about everyone here has never heard of - Derm Derm. If you would like more info PM me - I may be able to set you up with an interview with a Pretty team manager. I'll certainly pass on their contact details.

Most of the pretties I've talked to told me they were students, usually Rajabhat or a technical university (trade school), although two had full time day jobs--one was an elementary school teacher and another an officer manager. I was under the impression they were hourly workers, not on salary.

You are correct, many are students and some do hold down regular daytime jobs. However, there are women who work full time as Pretties - and as a rule of thumb that's the type/standard you'll see doing in-store promotions in the local supermarkets during the day - then move on to working in restaurants at night.

Some Pretties refuse to work at night unless they are in executive surroundings. I know one who works in-store only - she refuses to work at night because she can't be bothered with the witless sexual harassment that follows. They get plenty of that.

I know more than one "Pretty," manager, including one who is legendary in the trade. The amount of money involved can be staggering. I was at two recent Thai promo events, and by fluke I was the only farang, or only farang table at the event. The second event, at a restaurant that just about every CM expat has never heard of generated 58,000 baht table money. The restaurant owner told me that the event grossed over 180,000 baht. I believe him, my table spent over 4,000 baht - and there were 80 tables there.

That was in a Thai restaurant that just about everyone here has never heard of - Derm Derm. If you would like more info PM me - I may be able to set you up with an interview with a Pretty team manager. I'll certainly pass on their contact details.

Derm Derm--there's one on Suthep past the main south gate to CMU, but it didn't strike me as a restaurant for expensive promotions.

^^ Yup, well there you are, you learn something new every day. The last promotion night was a sell out.

You'll also find the place packed out every weekend, less so during the week. It's a busy, busy place.

I have gotten older. The girls on Loi Kroh road have gotten older and wider. 20 years ago there were many girlie bars at the night bazaar with cute young girls. They stayed open until midnight then we would go to Loi Kroh road that was loaded with even more young cute girls and they stayed open until the last customer left. Then we would go to the beer bar center where a lot of the girls that got off work also went. The party went on until the sun came up every night with plenty of eye candy to be seen all hours of the night. Can the same be said today?

'Personal services' have moved online and to social media.

The old ones that still hang on in the bars, like you, haven't learned to move with the times.

Get yourself a 'Line' or 'BeeTalk' account, and you will find all the eye candy you ever need, 24 hours a day.

Edited by MaeJoMTB

'Personal services' have moved online and to social media.

The old ones that still hang on in the bars, like you, haven't learned to move with the times.

Get yourself a 'Line' or 'BeeTalk' account, and you will find all the eye candy you ever need, 24 hours a day.

And since nothing you do on-line can ever be fully deleted, you and others will have a permanent record of your adventures.

^^ Yup, well there you are, you learn something new every day. The last promotion night was a sell out.

You'll also find the place packed out every weekend, less so during the week. It's a busy, busy place.

I haven't been for a few years, the last time I went it was very much a college bar, more so than the ones on Nimmanhamin. It's a decent place, but I have many bars full of young pretties in staggering distance of my condo, and I'm getting kind of old and lazy, so I usually stay close to home.