Five Nigerian men arrested for deceiving Thai gay men

Thaivisa News

Chon Buri:- Five Nigerian men and a Thai women have been arrested for having allegedly run an online love scam to deceive Thai gay men to wire them money.

Pol Lt Gen Thanet Pinmueangnarm, commissioner of the Provincial Police Bureau 2 in charge of Chon Buri, said the six suspects have been arrested at the Rim Haad Condominium in Tambon Nongplua in Chon Buri's Bang Lamung district.

The Thai woman, Wanwisa Wongkrung, 30, was alleged collaborator with the five Nigerians, Thanet said.

Police seized nine ATM cards, nine bank books, eight mobile phones and a notebook computer. The five Nigerians were also charged with having entered the country illegally.

Thanet said the gang opened a website called, Planet Romeo Gay Dating and the gang members pretended to be handsome farang gay men and picked on their victims among Thai gay men.

The Nigerians would deceive their victims that they would come to Thailand to visit them and would bring a lot of money to invest in the country.

The Thai woman would then pretend to be an immigration officer and told the victims that the gate dates have arrived at an airport but they were stopped for smuggling hundreds of thousands of dollars in cash.

The Thai victims were told to transfer money to pay a fine so that their gay dates could be freed.

Thanet said police checked the bank accounts of the gang and found that several victims had wired them money. He urged the victims to come forward to file complaints with police.

Early this month, a Thai gay man filed a complaint with the Pattaya police station that he fell victim of the online love scam.

Again, for the thousandth time ...

The Nigerians would deceive their victims that they would come to Thailand to visit them and would bring a lot of money to invest in the country.

... the gang members pretended to be handsome farang gay men and picked on their victims among Thai gay men.

Of course, No one would believe that some money can come from Nigeria, and also Thais only like white skin ... zero chance.

Nigerians were also charged with having entered the country illegally.

They came here on foot or what, maybe a officer helped a little bit

BTW, I'd like to know what happen with them after they were arrested?

Expulsion for Nigerians and Thai ...

IN CHONBURI, CHONBURI ???

Get out from my district

Yeah, when I originally heard this story a while back about one Thai man complaining of being love scammed with this method, it was obvious to me this was a very organized operation that had probably victimized many, not just one.

Yeah, when I originally heard this story a while back about one Thai man complaining of being love scammed with this method, it was obvious to me this was a very organized operation that had probably victimized many, not just one.

The part that puzzles me is that the Thai woman gives her bank account details for you to transfer the money so it wasn't going to be that difficult to trace.

Looks like the Thai woman has been duped too, Nigerian men befriend her saying we need a bank account vto deposit money, if you let us use yours we will give you ex amount of money.

Looks like the Thai woman has been duped too, Nigerian men befriend her saying we need a bank account vto deposit money, if you let us use yours we will give you ex amount of money.

she wasn't duped - she was complicit. she identified herself as a Thai immigration officer. She was a major part of the scam.

I find it inconceivable that there are still people out there willing to trust unknowns over the net.

Then again my phone rings every evening with scammers form India re some computer issue my server apparently has so the fraud so must work. They can get pretty mouthy too if you comment back and seem ot have a significant amount of personal detail correct. I miss the landline but it is more of a liability than a tool and gone.

After the emotional and financial cost for the victim, I truly resent how these farkers change the way we have to negotiate everything because of their greed.

nigerians , shouldnt these people be scrutinised more at the borders than the rest of us ? like , really how many decent nigerians are here in thailand to contribute honestly and sufficiently to the thai economy ? this just shows you how stupid and lax the thai authorities really are, while the rest of us just get <deleted>over again and again and again. facepalm.gif

... the gang members pretended to be handsome farang gay men and picked on their victims among Thai gay men.

Of course, No one would believe that some money can come from Nigeria, and also Thais only like white skin ... zero chance.

Get out from my district

Thais only like white skin ... zero chance. think about it i can only think the scam involved false photos cerainly not their own image

Get out from my district

I may have misunderstood your post....but you are advocating Thais get out of your district????

Get out from my district

I may have misunderstood your post....but you are advocating Thais get out of your district????

No, Fakers and scummers ...

I think its about time immigration started really cracking down on visa's and long term stays in Thailand, they should make it harder and more expensive to get visa or an extension of stay and they could re introduce capping the amount of time a person is allowed in Thailand on visa waivers, lets say 180 days maximum in a 12 month period, so many things they could do to keep the undesirables out the country

I'm sure there are some wonderful, law abiding Nigerians, however; why do

All the scammers and scum bags come to Thailand?

For the same reason every other scum bag comes to Thailand......sexpats..perverts...pedophiles ...ne'er do wells etc etc.

Less chance of getting caught.

Then they post on the internet ... asking whats it like..living in Cambodia, Laos, Vietnam.....where can I get a job...you get the picture.

Not suggesting every person who comes to Thailand fits the category, far from it, but I'd wager this part of the world is more attractive to those people.

History has shown this to be the case.

Edited by Mudcrab

Get out from my district

No, Fakers and scummers ...

so I take it your leaving Chonburi then ?

I think its about time immigration started really cracking down on visa's and long term stays in Thailand, they should make it harder and more expensive to get visa or an extension of stay and they could re introduce capping the amount of time a person is allowed in Thailand on visa waivers, lets say 180 days maximum in a 12 month period, so many things they could do to keep the undesirables out the country

Oh, really? And what about those on legitimate Retirement or Marriage Extensions? Your proposal would totally suck.