Do Thai People Enjoy Putting Each Other Down?

eldragon

Do Thai people enjoy putting each other down?

I work in a Thai office. I'm the only foreigner in the office. I've been there about three months. I'm finding many of my co-workers seem to enjoy putting me down in a variety of ways: overreacting about stuff, making fun of small differences at every opportunity, etc. Many times they'll speak to me in a very excited and condescending tone, then seem annoyed when I respond with the same tone. It seems to be more common with the folks from NE Thailand.

This is not Thai bashing. I'm just wondering if it's a cultural thing. I know Thai people are generally pretty jovial folks, but it's getting to be a bit much. And I feel things escalating as I continue to defend myself. I'm even thinking about quitting. But if I knew Thais talk to each other the same way, I might be a little more understanding.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am a boss and many NE Thailand folks take me for a fool.

At the end of the day I am still the boss with money and they keep living month to month.

Moral of the story is ignore,Just as you ignore dogs barking.

Are they interpreting your 'similar response' as a form of sarcasm or mocking, maybe?

I have seen humour turn into sulking very very quickly, once the sulking begins it can take a while to stop

The usual response I get is "Why are you talking to me like that?" So my guess is either they're totally oblivious to the way they're talking to me or it's just a cultural thing and I'm gonna have to find a way to accept it.

nahhh. I don

t think they are that way even with other farangs

it's probanly youtongue.png

Have you been drinking sir? biggrin.png

Why, yes I have,,, unfortunately not enough yetguitar.gif

Ahhh you better stick at it....same as the OP....don't quit...you'll get there! :)

Edited by smokie36

nahhh. I don

Was waiting for that one. Knew it wouldn't take long facepalm.gifbah.giflaugh.png

I aim to please. no one is going to call me a slackerbiggrin.png

to be serious though, with our limited Thai language and their limited English skills, it is easy to misunderstand each others intentions and become defensive toward each other.

This can have a self fulfilling prophecy affect,

You perceive people as being negative toward you, you become defensive, they sense this defensiveness and become negative towards you.

It can become a vicious cycle.

In management, I think everyone can benefit from a Sales seminar, because believe it or not, you are always selling something. If it isn't product, it is an idea, a concept, motivation, your self.

Zig Ziglar is my hero,

"You are what you are and you are where you are because of what has gone into your mind. You change what you are and you change where you are by changing what goes into your mind"

nahhh. I don

Was waiting for that one. Knew it wouldn't take long facepalm.gifbah.giflaugh.png

I aim to please. no one is going to call me a slackerbiggrin.png

to be serious though, with our limited Thai language and their limited English skills, it is easy to misunderstand each others intentions and become defensive toward each other.

This can have a self fulfilling prophecy affect,

You perceive people as being negative toward you, you become defensive, they sense this defensiveness and become negative towards you.

It can become a vicious cycle.

In management, I think everyone can benefit from a Sales seminar, because believe it or not, you are always selling something. If it isn't product, it is an idea, a concept, motivation, your self.

Zig Ziglar is my hero,

"You are what you are and you are where you are because of what has gone into your mind. You change what you are and you change where you are by changing what goes into your mind"

There's definitely a bit of that cycle going on. Great advice. Thx.

Are they interpreting your 'similar response' as a form of sarcasm or mocking, maybe?

I have seen humour turn into sulking very very quickly, once the sulking begins it can take a while to stop

I see this every time I open a thread on TV and not a Thai in sight...

At the end of the day I am still the boss with money and they keep living month to month.

I have only southern and BKK staff and no problem at all after 12 years. But they are all technicians and I can operate every machine here + I can do the complete accounting work of the girls so they respect my skills.

Actually the other problem when they think I can fix just about any problem without mistake which isn't possible.

So we're not that different after all.

(except for the sulking)

Some thai like easy targets, hence farangs who dont understand whats been said are on that list.

Sometimes its hard to accept it, but finding a way to get your own back without making an embarrassing scene is always a winning scenario.

Sort of a passive aggressive style.

I have quite a number of things that work, from years of dealing with Thais across the spectrum of age and status,

but no way I'd subject myself to the tirade on here by describing them.

(except for the sulking)

spend a bit more time on here and you will see plenty of sulking, girly hissy fits and stamping of little feet, I promise you ...gigglem.gif

Some thai like easy targets, hence farangs who dont understand whats been said are on that list.

Sometimes its hard to accept it, but finding a way to get your own back without making an embarrassing scene is always a winning scenario.

Sort of a passive aggressive style.

I have quite a number of things that work, from years of dealing with Thais across the spectrum of age and status,

but no way I'd subject myself to the tirade on here by describing them.[/quote

] Have to agree with being easy targets due to not knowing what's said, now I understand a little so they back off, they love to gossip its a Thai pass time.

(except for the sulking)

spend a bit more time on here and you will see plenty of sulking, girly hissy fits and stamping of little feet, I promise you ...gigglem.gif

Shhh....they are just misunderstood. :D

I have only southern and BKK staff and no problem at all after 12 years. But they are all technicians and I can operate every machine here + I can do the complete accounting work of the girls so they respect my skills.

Actually the other problem when they think I can fix just about any problem without mistake which isn't possible.

That's nice , my staff certain I am a master of all trades , so they let me do all the work , while they chat and play on the phones ;)

They also believe there is no need for them to do any work when I am around, as I can do it for them

Crab in the bucket syndrome.

Not many Thais are happy.

Can't say I blame them for that to be honest. Many if not most have horrid lives with no hope of progression. Some just deal with it better than others. Most don't deal with it very well.

coffee1.gif

What is so horrid about their life? When they only look 24 hours ahead

OP are you there boss?

Give back some remarks.. In thai would be good.

Not comfortable speaking thai just say it in English..

Get some thicker skin as it wont stop...

Sent from my c64

Edited by wow64

Question: Do Thai People Enjoy Putting Each Other Down?

Answer: People Enjoy Putting Each Other Down.

Synopsis: It's a human thing among the lower classes. However, one can rise above it, regardless of class and status.

thumbsup.gif

Crab in the bucket syndrome.

Not many Thais are happy.

Can't say I blame them for that to be honest. Many if not most have horrid lives with no hope of progression. Some just deal with it better than others. Most don't deal with it very well.

coffee1.gif

What is so horrid about their life? When they only look 24 hours ahead

24 hours? Thought it was more like "what time do we eat next time?"

nahhh. I don

Don`t know how old you are? But you seem to have much to learn about life experiences.

I have worked in many countries and it`s always been the same, that when you are the new boy, your work colleges will try it on, meaning, because they know you are at a disadvantage being new, unless a person comes in of a high rank. The trick is, to make it apparent from the start that you`re not one who will tolerant BS by displaying your feelings in a clear, firm and precise way without going over the top or being paranoid.

As the wise man says; start as you mean to continue, or just tolerate it and be the long and suffering.

Edited by Beetlejuice