Gas - Burners & cooking

BEVUP

attachicon.gifimg59032710.jpgAs an American, this is my idea of a BBQ, LOL.

attachicon.gifhot-rod-bbq-2.jpg

attachicon.gifhot_rod_bbq_grill.jpg

Actually mine is gas with another rack above the gas to hold lava rock which gets hot and does the cooking. On top of the rock I place hardwood chips that have been soaked in water and they produce the smoke. Charcoal is a method to have hot, slow burning wood but chips put out the same smoke flavor without the hard work. They actually sell the wood chips in grocery stores and home improvement stores.

attachicon.gifimg59032710.jpg

attachicon.gifdsc_0120_w640.jpeg

Are you sure you aren't over-thinking that? If you want it easy, you pour some gasoline over the coal, ignite it and come back 1 hour later. Everything burning stable....

in full agreement with the exception of lighting my fire with gasoline laugh.png

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

liquid smoke tastes the same. I tried smoking with woodchips for many hours but that's nothing compared to liquid smoke.

For saucages i can eat the wiender cocktail saucages from CP, (the moo version) but the kurubota porksteaks (marinated frozen) are very good. Can go straight on the grill.

I just wished we had a bbq-shop in BKK, one who also sells marinated skewers, sauces, salads and it should be along a highway. So i can make a quick stop there, drive home, light my grill with the button and have dinner. Thai all like to bbq but they are no good with meat.

CP sausage

marinated frozen pork"steaks"

liquid smoke

facepalm.gif

cheesy.gif

some people just don't get it do they ?

as to his last sentence, I am puzzled about that one, my Mrs cant understand why as Westerners we like to BBQ in the garden like peasants when we have a perfectly good "western" kitchen in the house giggle.gif

Actually mine is gas with another rack above the gas to hold lava rock which gets hot and does the cooking. On top of the rock I place hardwood chips that have been soaked in water and they produce the smoke. Charcoal is a method to have hot, slow burning wood but chips put out the same smoke flavor without the hard work. They actually sell the wood chips in grocery stores and home improvement stores.

Are you sure you aren't over-thinking that? If you want it easy, you pour some gasoline over the coal, ignite it and come back 1 hour later. Everything burning stable....

in full agreement with the exception of lighting my fire with gasoline laugh.png

ermm.gif I know that gasoline is an "illegal shortcut" but it works well and there is no residual of it.

ermm.gif I know that gasoline is an "illegal shortcut" but it works well and there is no residual of it.

I had a friend of mine get quite seriously burned when he was was lighting a BBQ with gasoline and it "flashed" on him, however he did look funny walking around with no eyebrows for many weeks afterwards whistling.gif

liquid smoke tastes the same. I tried smoking with woodchips for many hours but that's nothing compared to liquid smoke.

For saucages i can eat the wiender cocktail saucages from CP, (the moo version) but the kurubota porksteaks (marinated frozen) are very good. Can go straight on the grill.

I just wished we had a bbq-shop in BKK, one who also sells marinated skewers, sauces, salads and it should be along a highway. So i can make a quick stop there, drive home, light my grill with the button and have dinner. Thai all like to bbq but they are no good with meat.

CP sausage

marinated frozen pork"steaks"

liquid smoke

facepalm.gif

cheesy.gif

some people just don't get it do they ?

as to his last sentence, I am puzzled about that one, my Mrs cant understand why as Westerners we like to BBQ in the garden like peasants when we have a perfectly good "western" kitchen in the house giggle.gif

My Mrs can understand it very perfect and likes it, but my mother can't understand it. I think that BBQ is a male thing, tearing chunks of meat out of the deer and BBQ it for the family, the love for it is imprinted into our genetic.

Have you seen the lava rocks on sale anywhere?

Kurt

Are those lavastones longlasting on a gasgrill? I'm still planning to build my own bbq with lavastones but have never used them. For cleaning they are ideal i guess, all drippings just burn.

And are those lavastones the same ones i see for sale in the aquariumshops?

Those rocks are sold in bags all over the US. Sometimes they come with a gas BBQ. There's a ton of old and even some active volcanoes in the US. There are areas that when they build or widen a highway they dig enough of it up to build the road. There are vast fields of it far from the volcanoes.

They last "forever" in a gas grill. They would turn back to liquid somewhere at about 1,000 degrees F (540 C). If I didn't have any I'd break up some real fired brick.

In the picture below look up at the peak of the hill. Those hills are solid lava and you can see outcroppings.

post-164212-0-42819700-1434427891_thumb.

Edited by NeverSure

My gas grill is ready in ten minutes with no fuss. I can control the temperature for grilling or lid-down roast with a dial and thermometer and use past experience like the burners on a stove.

Horses for courses as they say.

Cheers

Edit. Now that I think about it I use it more for pork ribs and pork roast than for grilling. It takes 12 hours to cook a roast and about 6 to cook the ribs. That's slow cook until they are literally falling apart. I really like that thermostat to set the heat where I want it. They bake at about 220 F (105 C) and I keep returning with a brush and brushing on more of my Memphis style sauce.

Cheers

Edited by NeverSure

My gas grill is ready in ten minutes with no fuss. I can control the temperature for grilling or lid-down roast with a dial and thermometer and use past experience like the burners on a stove.

Just like the stove in your kitchen....rolleyes.gif

Have you seen the lava rocks on sale anywhere?

Kurt

Are those lavastones longlasting on a gasgrill? I'm still planning to build my own bbq with lavastones but have never used them. For cleaning they are ideal i guess, all drippings just burn.

And are those lavastones the same ones i see for sale in the aquariumshops?

Those rocks are sold in bags all over the US. Sometimes they come with a gas BBQ. There's a ton of old and even some active volcanoes in the US. There are areas that when they build or widen a highway they dig enough of it up to build the road. There are vast fields of it far from the volcanoes.

They last "forever" in a gas grill. They would turn back to liquid somewhere at about 1,000 degrees F (540 C). If I didn't have any I'd break up some real fired brick.

In the picture below look up at the peak of the hill. Those hills are solid lava and you can see outcroppings.

attachicon.gifCR.JPG

540 C....I doubt that....you can easily get 540 in a normal bbq, I would rather give it a 1000 C

Horses for courses as they say.

Cheers

Edit. Now that I think about it I use it more for pork ribs and pork roast than for grilling. It takes 12 hours to cook a roast and about 6 to cook the ribs. That's slow cook until they are literally falling apart. I really like that thermostat to set the heat where I want it. They bake at about 220 F (105 C) and I keep returning with a brush and brushing on more of my Memphis style sauce.

Cheers

yes it is a stove. Nice and good for sure a perfect thing, but it is not a BBQ.

It is like I tell how I like to go with a big motorbike and you explain me the advantage of a car with the aircon inside.....Everything true and right and there are lots of advantages to a stove, that why we use it 99% of the time, but it is something different.

BBQ is most of the time too hot, sometimes the meat get black, sometimes you burn your finger. It is old....There are people who like to go out with their 70 year old vintage car on Sundays, even the new Toyota is in everything better.

BBQ vs. stove can't be compared like 2 computer and one is faster than the other. It is a personal preference if you like the smoked food and alone the ancient way of making the fire and control it more or less (less for me) is part of the experience.

Or take a other view...why do you make the food with your gas "BBQ" if you can buy some delicious food around the corner for 50 Baht? For the same reason I like to make it with the coal instead of the easier gas.

Also I "ferment" things even I could buy the beer chang at every 7/11

I get it about the process. I had a charcoal BBQ most of my life and there are fond memories. I don't think there is any difference in taste from cooking on either because they do their jobs while adding real smoke flavor.

I don't think I'd use mine as much or for as many things if I still used briquettes. I didn't slow cook pork roasts on briquettes because it takes me 12 hours at a slow heat. I sear the roast all over on the hot grill to seal in juices and make a nice crust and immediately turn it down to the slow roast temp, for instance. Then I don't want to manage briquettes for 12 hours trying to keep the heat even at the roasting temp.

Those coalstarter things from Weber work very good. You only need a small piece of paper to start the fire and the coals are ready in 10 min.

BBQ-party's in the kitchen will guests around the stove are not my kind of thing. Solly.

We like to grill outdoors, have loud karaoke indoors, people sitting everywhere they like, bringing furniture outdoors it's just party you know.

But i won't be preparing marinades for hours anymore because they always bring far too much seafood. Thai love grilled squid and saltwaterprawns with green chilisauce.

The bad thing about a Weber kettlegrill is when it has to be refilled on a busy party. Many times i dropped the whole grid full of meat into the fire. Smoking food for 12 hours wasn't worth it for me. I tried it several times but i get the same results in 3 hours.

I doubt that the smell can be noticed in the food if the gas is burned.

But why do you want to use gas for BBQ? BBQ must be wood coal to be delicious....it is the good wood smoke that makes it taste good. On gas or electric you don't have that.

because that's how Aussies BBQ.

facepalm.gif

Attached pictures what is BBQ and what to do with gas (not BBQ). If not with coal or wood, the product loose 2/3 of its taste. Coal (made from wood) is an absolute must. I got told some countries want to ban that, but it is what humans do since discovery of fire. It is in our genetic that we love that smoky taste.

Had this debate many times, whats the point in "BBQing" or buying gas BBQ ?....just move your cooker from the kitchen to the garden if you wish, but don't call it a BBQ

your correct, wood or charcoal are the only proper BBQ's anything else is a fraud

NZ people will be surprised to learn that they haven't been having a BBQ for all those years.

because that's how Aussies BBQ.

facepalm.gif

Attached pictures what is BBQ and what to do with gas (not BBQ). If not with coal or wood, the product loose 2/3 of its taste. Coal (made from wood) is an absolute must. I got told some countries want to ban that, but it is what humans do since discovery of fire. It is in our genetic that we love that smoky taste.

Had this debate many times, whats the point in "BBQing" or buying gas BBQ ?....just move your cooker from the kitchen to the garden if you wish, but don't call it a BBQ

your correct, wood or charcoal are the only proper BBQ's anything else is a fraud

NZ people will be surprised to learn that they haven't been having a BBQ for all those years.

And they will be sorry when they learn what they missed all the years....

Most people here seem to confuse grilling and bbq ing.

They are trying to ban chacoal sale in a few asian countries because people use it to kill. themselves.

I have a commercial smoker...runs on gas that lights the wood chunks. the very low heat from the gas flame keeps a very steady temp.

They sell lava rocks at some Home Pros. True Value in Pattaya.

The Bbq store in Bkk......You can also use tge ceramic briquttes for a more even heat.

facepalm.gif

Some, yeah. But I usually used charcoal. I had the gas one for convenience, but I would always throw a few hickory wood chips on the burners to get that smoky flavour.

Most people here seem to confuse grilling and bbq ing.

They are trying to ban chacoal sale in a few asian countries because people use it to kill. themselves.

I have a commercial smoker...runs on gas that lights the wood chunks. the very low heat from the gas flame keeps a very steady temp.

They sell lava rocks at some Home Pros. True Value in Pattaya.

The Bbq store in Bkk......You can also use tge ceramic briquttes for a more even heat.

If you manage to kill yourself with charcoal after 1 Million or more years of human experience with it, you clearly deserve to be sorted out of the gene-pool.

I can't even imagine a way to kill yourself with the BBQ. Even if you are so stupid and try it indoor, the smell would make you open the window before the CO2 / CO would kill you.

Even if you fall head first drunk into the BBQ you would survive it (even that won't make you more pretty).

Luckily where I BBQ it is only 200 meter to the next cemetery, so I don't have far in case the charcoal monster kills me.

to paraphrase a famous Aussie

That's not a BBQ this is a BBQ

attachicon.gifCapture1.JPG

Nice...and true...but I think the South Africans might resent it...that's clearly a braai.

Ah but I had to call it a BBQ as the the vast majority of TV's finest experts wouldn't have clue what I was talking about, you will note I referred to "rolled sausage" as a another poster termed it as well and not boerewors...

Further we are not allowed to post in other languages but the full name for a Braai is "Braaivleis" which literally means "grilled meat"

so I am sure my brethren will forgive me for enlightening the uneducated masses as to the joys of good boerewors and Braaivleis by referring to it as a BBQ and rolled sausage

thumbsup.gif

Its the number one method of suicide now in Hong Kong.....bags of charcol have warnings on them to get help if feeling depressed.

I read where a guy in Australia did manage to kill him and his gf by accident after they moved the grill off the balcony into the condo.......

Its the number one method of suicide now in Hong Kong.....bags of charcol have warnings on them to get help if feeling depressed.

I read where a guy in Australia did manage to kill him and his gf by accident after they moved the grill off the balcony into the condo.......

So if I BBQ in future, the only person I would invite is "Soutpeel", as charcoal is extremely dangerous and only "Soutpeel" has enough BBQ survival experience to attend.

So if I BBQ in future, the only person I would invite is "Soutpeel", as charcoal is extremely dangerous and only "Soutpeel" has enough BBQ survival experience to attend.

Actually my first preference is actually using wood, but sun dried Rooikrans is tad hard to find here...laugh.png

and typically the way people die using Rooikrans is being beaten over the head with it

post-64799-0-30233500-1434636116_thumb.j

Edited by Soutpeel

Actually my first preference is actually using wood, but sun dried Rooikrans is tad hard to find here...laugh.png

and typically the way people die using Rooikrans is being beaten over the head with it

I used some charcoal my wife brought in unlabeled plastic bags..... to my own surprise they had an excellent smell in the smoke and burn at relative moderate temperature. I hope we can get these again. Way better than any charcoal I ever saw in Europe. Just it got wet and I always forget to bring something to start it. So l have the choice between slightly wet FedEx box or glossy fashion magazines from my wife. Which needs you to clean out the ash between the coal.

Bad idea I know. Next time I have to get something for starting it.

Did you ever try coconut wood, I would guess it wouldn't form a good coal, but I don't know...there would be lot of it around....all wet but I can get it started somehow.

to paraphrase a famous Aussie

That's not a BBQ this is a BBQ

Nice...and true...but I think the South Africans might resent it...that's clearly a braai.

Ah but I had to call it a BBQ as the the vast majority of TV's finest experts wouldn't have clue what I was talking about, you will note I referred to "rolled sausage" as a another poster termed it as well and not boerewors...

Further we are not allowed to post in other languages but the full name for a Braai is "Braaivleis" which literally means "grilled meat"

so I am sure my brethren will forgive me for enlightening the uneducated masses as to the joys of good boerewors and Braaivleis by referring to it as a BBQ and rolled sausage

thumbsup.gif

Next you will have to let them know what Soutpeel really means.

As someone else indicated, many seem to be confusing grilling with barbecuing. Grilling is fast an hot, barbecue is slow, low heat, and often wood fired.

Most of the great flavor from grilling comes from fat and juice burning on the coals or rocks, not from the heat source itself.

Barbecue is also an apparatus which I think has been in discussion.

I still have a problem with avoiding modern methods which obtain the same or better results. When I was young we'd spend an hour getting the charcoal lit and fully involved so we'd have an even fire and then spend ten minutes grilling meat. A slow cook would require lighting more briquettes during the process. We lit those in a separate place because dumping those on the fire unlit cooled it down for a while.

Here's a great recipe for fish fillets.

Simply make a dry mixture of equal parts of salt, lemon pepper and garlic powder in a bowl. Rub that all over the fish. Put the fish on the BBQ at medium heat and close the lid so the fish will cook without needing to be turned. If it's a gas unit, get some wood chips smoking in a pan or on the grill just before the fish goes in.

The skin should be on the fish and it should be cooked skin side down. The fish will fall off the skin as the fish is eaten.

This is probably the #1 recipe among avid fishermen for salmon and trout including steelhead trout in the Pacific NW of the US.

Cheers

you mean a hangi ? thats technically steam cooking not a BBQ wink.png

WHAT?????? Of course I know what a hangi is and not talking about that.

Loads of NZers use the gas hot plate to cook the BBQ on, like the Aussies that have been posting on here. They sell the things as "gas bbq's in the stores. IMO a bbq is cooking outside, whatever it's cooked on.

Stuff using charcoal- dirty carcinogenic method of burning the food.

you mean a hangi ? thats technically steam cooking not a BBQ wink.png

WHAT?????? Of course I know what a hangi is and not talking about that.

Loads of NZers use the gas hot plate to cook the BBQ on, like the Aussies that have been posting on here. They sell the things as "gas bbq's in the stores. IMO a bbq is cooking outside, whatever it's cooked on.

Stuff using charcoal- dirty carcinogenic method of burning the food.

they already figured out that charcoal bbq is not carcinogenic......Which is anyway obvious, we did it for more than a million years, of course our body learned to live with it.

As well in Europe we have a lot smoked products.....really smoked with smoke from wooden fire......our nanny states would have long ago banned it if there is was a small risk that eating it increases the chance of getting cancer.