Change in coins

FireMedic

More and more here in Bangkok (a few times in Phuket), after a meal out, Thai food or other, I am noticing they are giving 40-50 baht in coins back. I'm usually a very good tipper at all venues (expenses). I feel as if the server thinks most don't want to carry change or that farangs don't care about it (becot only samall moneeee), but if they are putting 40-50 baht in 10 baht coins among the rest of the smaller money for every customer, that could end up being quite a tipping scheme, on top of the service charges etc.

Thais can do no wrong crowd: You must be a cheap charlie who never tips..etc. If you don't like it go home. They do the same in your country. They only make XXX amount money, they have a family...etc. You must be too lazy or stupid to count your own change.....blah blah blah.

Thai bashers: Yes, they are ALL in on it and they ALL are trying to steal your money. That's why I don't go to Thai restaurants.....blah blah blah.

Just wondering if anyone else is seeing this more or maybe to let people know about it.

I'm not quite certain how to respond since the OP makes it clear that responders are either "Thai bashers" or Thai apologists.

Yes, I've seen it in Bangkok (and many other places not in Thailand). It's a strategy to garner tip money....I had always presumed most people understand that.

Who are the people you would "let people know about it"?

I dont know where you are based, but in all the higher range restaurants in Bankok where we eat weekends, the majority customers are Thai. Why do you think they are doing this only to farangs (as you mention that they think it is small money for farangs).

I'm not quite certain how to respond since the OP makes it clear that responders are either "Thai bashers" or Thai apologists.

Yes, I've seen it in Bangkok (and many other places not in Thailand). It's a strategy to garner tip money....I had always presumed most people understand that.

Maybe the newer members here or maybe the older crowd who might not pay attention as much.

Just wondering if anyone else is seeing this more or maybe to let people know about it

If someone was being handed a boat load of coins, s/he would probably know it without being put on high alert by you ... or in most cases would be able to cope with this tricky situation without being forewarned or the need to map out a plan to save themselves from such a devious scheme in advance.

I can't recall ever being handed back more coins than were required to make the correct non-paper money change. Maybe the wait staff only do that for "special" customers, especially certain customers they have dealt with before.

I wouldn't described your post as Thai bashing. If anything it seems to be bashing farang who you apparently assume are both petty and easily overwhelmed by the simplest things.

Edited by Suradit69

If it is at the end of a busy night the establishment may be running short of fifty or twenty baht notes as they have been given to previous customers , or the staff keep the notes to exchange for their tips as they don't want to be carting home their tips in loose change.

If it is at the end of a busy night the establishment may be running short of fifty or twenty baht notes as they have been given to previous customers , or the staff keep the notes to exchange for their tips as they don't want to be carting home their tips in loose change.

A very good and reasonable explanation. Thank you!

Most of the bars in Bangkok will give you a fist full of silver instead of notes, presumably so you will leave it there as a tip.

But I never leave it as I use the BTS everyday and the coins are perfect for a ticket machine.

Hillary bars in Sukhumvit soi 4 are notorious for coins in change.

I have seen trolleys loaded with coin money boxes being taken into Hillary 4 bar while I was sitting in the golden bar..

Last time I was in Hillary 2 I scooped up my change about 4o baht and the bar girl picked up the tray and looked into it like a mirror.

I now avoid Hillary bars like a plague. (The girls are not so nice anyway in all Hillary bars)

I was in a bar further down the soi, melodies I think, and I had 20 baht coming in change and I was given a 20 baht note in the tray.

I was astounded as I had not been in that bar for years, I asked why a note and the girl said "to many farang complain about the coins, so we give notes".

I was impressed so I left the note just to be polite for their honestly.

Maybe the newer members here or maybe the older crowd who might not pay attention as much.

Don't you think they'd notice when the got their change? The answer is very simple, if you don't want to leave all the coins take some home with you.

I just pay by card. No hassles.

I'm starting to do that more often but I'm still pretty particular about which places I use a card....certainly wouldn't use it in one of the "Hilary" bars mentioned earlier in the thread, lol.

The worst thing about getting coins instead of notes is that when you throw them at the go-go dancers they get upset.

I just pay by card. No hassles.

I'm starting to do that more often but I'm still pretty particular about which places I use a card....certainly wouldn't use it in one of the "Hilary" bars mentioned earlier in the thread, lol.

The worst thing about getting coins instead of notes is that when you throw them at the go-go dancers they get upset.

LOL and yes I wouldn't use cards in any of the bars either.