A few questions about opening a new thai bank acount

Hi, i'm coming to Thailand soon, and i want to open a new Thai bank acount.

What are the most commonly used banks by foreigners in Pattaya?

What are the fees for withdrawing money with a Thai credit card from an ATM in Thailand?

Edited by tomtom345

First of all how do you have a Thai Credit card without a Thai Bank account ?

What kind of visa are you coming to Thailand on. Tourist, Non Immigrant "O" or "O-A", or visa waiver ?

Fees for "cash advances" from an ATM are determined by the card issuer

Use of a foreign credit card or foreign bank ATM card at a Thai Bank will incur a 150 or 180 THB fee depending upon the bank. The amount that can be withdrawn at any one time will range from a low of 20,000 THB to 30,000 THB bank depending upon which banks' ATM you use

Whatever you decide on make sure that you open an account in a mall or shopping center so that you can go to your bank during non regular banking hours since many things can only be done at your "home" branch

Provide more correct information and you will get more relevant information here

Edited by Langsuan Man

First of all how do you have a Thai Credit card without a Thai Bank account ?

What kind of visa are you coming to Thailand on. Tourist, Non Immigrant "O" or "O-A", or visa waiver ?

Fees for "cash advances" from an ATM are determined by the card issuer

Use of a foreign credit card or foreign bank ATM card at a Thai Bank will incur a 150 or 180 THB fee depending upon the bank. The amount that can be withdrawn at any one time will range from a low of 20,000 THB to 30,000 THB bank depending upon which banks' ATM you use

Whatever you decide on make sure that you open an account in a mall or shopping center so that you can go to your bank during non regular banking hours since many things can only be done at your "home" branch

Provide more correct information and you will get more relevant information here

Thx for the answer.

I will have a tourist visa.

And i also want to get a Thai credit card after i open a Thai bank acount.

So my questions were, What are the fees for withdrawing money from an ATM in Thailand, using a Thai credit card?

And what Thai bank/s are popular with expats in Pattaya?

Edited by tomtom345

You are not going to get a Thai credit card without a work permit or by depositing into a Thai bank account the amount that is the spending limit on that card. An to be perfectly honest I doubt that you can easily even do that on a tourist visa. Any bank that will open a account with a tourist visa are "popular" with expats but you are not an expat, you are a tourist.

Thx for the answer.

I will have a tourist visa.

And i also want to get a Thai credit card after i open a Thai bank acount.

So my questions were, What are the fees for withdrawing money from an ATM in Thailand, using a Thai credit card?

And what Thai bank/s are popular with expats in Pattaya?

Yeah, that's not gonna happen. As someone mentioned, you'll not get a Thai credit card unless you deposit an amount equal to the credit limit of the credit card as collateral....and you'll not be able to access that amount of money while the credit card is still open.

You will have mixed success in even opening a bank account on a tourist visa.

And you want to use a Thai credit card to withdraw cash from an ATM as a tourist.....instead of withdrawing cash using the ATM card that the bank provides with your new account. What's wrong with this picture?

You expectations of opening a bank account should be met although don't be surprised if some bank branches turn down your application and you have to go try another branch. No shortage of ThaiVisa posts where folks had a problem in finding a branch that would open a bank account for them...and no shortage of posts where opening the bank account was easy even on a tourist visa.

However, the chances of getting a "unsecured" Thai bank credit card without a work permit and supporting job incoming for X-amounts are very low.

But your chances of getting a "secured" credit card where you have to open a locked/secured deposit of say Bt100,000 in order to get a credit card with a Bt100,000 line of credit are very good. You can't get this Bt100K back until you cancel the credit card, pay off the balance, and then wait X-weeks longer (maybe a month) after the card cancellation to ensure no late arriving credit cards charges arrive.

one thing which is a mistake if you could get a credit card the secured amount e g. 30000 baht you could only spend 15000 at any one time so 15000 is your spending limit, I bank with Siam commercial bank.

one thing which is a mistake if you could get a credit card the secured amount e g. 30000 baht you could only spend 15000 at any one time so 15000 is your spending limit, I bank with Siam commercial bank.

Thank you for that helpful info mate.