Thai Mobile Numbers

miamia

Hello all, Just curious if there has been any changes made to Thailand mobile phone numbers/ country calling code. I have a couple of friends living in Bangkok and Phuket and recently the last couple of times I have received text messages from these friends a different number has been displayed on my phone. (I am in oz) These friends do not know each other but the same number appears and when I have texted/called them back there has been no response. The number that is appearing is +44779780602, then in the text message my friends numbers are appearing before their actual message. A little strange, just curious if anyone is experiencing the same?

Thanks

Ye, I live in ireland and the same thing happened to me with a similar number.

nothing to worry about its prob because of these new numbers being added to the thai moblie system at present,

The system is prob clogged up which is <deleted>#king things up a bit i guess......

Hello all, Just curious if there has been any changes made to Thailand mobile phone numbers/ country calling code. I have a couple of friends living in Bangkok and Phuket and recently the last couple of times I have received text messages from these friends a different number has been displayed on my phone. (I am in oz) These friends do not know each other but the same number appears and when I have texted/called them back there has been no response. The number that is appearing is +44779780602, then in the text message my friends numbers are appearing before their actual message. A little strange, just curious if anyone is experiencing the same?

Thanks

I experienced the same thing receiving texts from Thailand to my UK mobile.

The number shown was different but it is a number reserved for SMS services. I found this out by calling it.

It happened for a few days but seems to have stopped now, my guess is that it may be the Thai mobile company buying SMS usage (?) from a third party in bulk to get cheaper international messages , and there was a technical glitch.. but I'm not technical or knowledgeable so....

totster :o

Thanks

I'm in Thailand and getting exactly the same number coming up when receiving text from an Aust. mate in Brisbane, I quized him on it. He had no explaination.

Yes, very strange as neither of us have anything to do with the UK at the moment. :o

Edited by bdenner

I experienced the same thing receiving texts from Thailand to my UK mobile.

The number shown was different but it is a number reserved for SMS services. I found this out by calling it.

It happened for a few days but seems to have stopped now, my guess is that it may be the Thai mobile company buying SMS usage (?) from a third party in bulk to get cheaper international messages , and there was a technical glitch.. but I'm not technical or knowledgeable so....

totster :D

I think Totster is right. It has something to do with buying usage from a third party.

I called my sister in Germany from my Thai mobile and she told me, that a strange

+44......... number :o showed up.

crockett :D

This 8 that is supposed to be inserted. eg 087 instead of 07.

I'm in LOS, and currently both work when I call my cell from LOS. Problem is, the 087 doesn't seem to work from the US? I have sms sent from a website, and only the old 07 works. Soon as it tries to send it to 087 itthe sms doesn't arrive.

Now at the end of the month the 07 will be redundant.

Anyone got some advice? I'll phone AIS soon, but I'm looking for more than an excuse or guess....

My guess it is just a glitch in the new requirement for an extra digit in the Thai mobile phone numbers and the software that determines the number for international use has not caught up as the system change is ongoing. The cut-over started on the 1st of this month but both new and old numbers are allowed for awhile.

My guess it is just a glitch in the new requirement for an extra digit in the Thai mobile phone numbers and the software that determines the number for international use has not caught up as the system change is ongoing. The cut-over started on the 1st of this month but both new and old numbers are allowed for awhile.

Strange things have been happening for two or three months now but I don't think that it has anything to do with the extra digit (8) in Thai mobile numbers. Over this time, several calls that I've received from various parts of the UK have identified themselves as if they were Thai mobile numbers, always starting with 09, such as 091073765!

Other calls from Germany and USA have always identified themselves correctly

My mate sent me some texts yesterday. He sent them from a new 12call SIM card which he bought yesterday. There was no 8 at the beginning of the number. It started +6612. I replied to them and he received the replies ok so where's the new 8 come in?

The SIM card probably has not been programed with the 8 digit if bought from a convenience type store as it only became usable two weeks ago. The user has a month or two to take phone to a dealer to have them both change there SIM card and number memory numbers to include the extra digit. Until that time both versions should reach the phone.

Thanks

Hi Miamia,

It could be that your friends are using Skype SMS or other Web/GPRS SMS service provider. Now that was a nice collection of words - try too say quickly that after a couple of beers.

The country code is UK and they might have bought a Skype out service with SMS options. Then when writing to you, they tried not to confuse you and started the texting with there own normal mobile number...but clearly the idea didnt work :o

A thought; adding the same number to all mobile phone nos does NOT increase the total nos avaliable does it? It remains exactly the same...

Therefore I presume that down the line there will be NEW first nos rather than the 8....?

Cheers!

Yes and Yes!

If you have 30 million mobile phone numbers and you add a 8 in front of them all and close the "old" number without 8 in front it will still only be 30 million numbers.

Example if I had number 013322122 (9 digits) today with AIS and from next month they would close my number and it would instead be 08133221122 (10 digits) then you have gained nothing

And you are right with the 8 being the first off a series of numbers (1-9) coming up. If not someone at NTC will probaly be looking for a new job - not in accounting though :o

A thought; adding the same number to all mobile phone nos does NOT increase the total nos avaliable does it? It remains exactly the same...

Therefore I presume that down the line there will be NEW first nos rather than the 8....?

Cheers!

Wow!! It's so obvious. Mathematically, you're absolutely right and I never thought about that. So goodness knows about why the numbers have to change?

To give no "preference" to any of the existing starting numbers maybe?

I.e. 01 is already being used, and will be 081 but with new nos down the road that could become a nice 011 - I.e. all our current nos are being "messed up" with the 8, as thre is no starting 08 today, and then later the Thais will stand in long lines to buy new "pretty" nos such as 0111111111 Etc. Cheers!

To give no "preference" to any of the existing starting numbers maybe?

I.e. 01 is already being used, and will be 081 but with new nos down the road that could become a nice 011 - I.e. all our current nos are being "messed up" with the 8, as thre is no starting 08 today, and then later the Thais will stand in long lines to buy new "pretty" nos such as 0111111111 Etc. Cheers!

..and 0999999999 or 0666666666 will cost more than Shin Corp!! :o

It was explained to me this way;

I had a chat to the Day Network Manager for BKK, he said its a problem with the Vodafone Message Broker, as they probably have not upgrades their stuff to allow for the new MSISDN's

I am with Vodafone Au and get messages with a +91 country code. That is India. I asked one friend if was on holiday, said he was on the beach in Phuket.

Interesting to see it is not only me. :o

I suspect the problem will go away when the final cutover happens in November and they are not running on 2 sets of numbers.