Birdwatching book recommendation

Not sure if this is quite the right sub-forum or not but in any case, I would be grateful if someone/anyone who knows about birdwatching in Thailand could recommend an idiot's guide to the birds of Thailand. I know nothing about birds but I have a few flying around near my house and I'd love to know what they all are so something which doesn't assume any prior knowledge would be best. I had a look at the selection available on Amazon but a personal recommendation from somebody who knows what they are talking about is always nice. If it makes a difference (and I guess it might), I live out in the sticks, south of Chiang Mai. English or Thai is fine.

I think the best book is Boonsong Lekagul and Phil Round's Birds of Thailand but it is out of print and a bit out of date now. Second hand copies can be found but are expensive. I like it because Phil has direct experience of working with many of these birds over the last 30 + years as Thailand's leading field biologist. There is a widely available and up to date version of this in Thai language under Boonsong's sole authorship.....he is now dead but undoubtedly is the most important Thai figure in birds and conservation. The English language edition has some good stuff about where to go and field craft. There are also good quality guidebooks in English written by Craig Robson which are available in most of the good bookshops in Chiang Mai.

There are a couple of good websites: norththailandbirding and add the dotcom thing is full of up to date observation details and information about locations. As its name might suggest it is good on the north so might give you some ideas about good areas to visit in your locale. there are also a couple of facebook groups with obvious names.

Hope this helps and good birding1

I think the best book is Boonsong Lekagul and Phil Round's Birds of Thailand but it is out of print and a bit out of date now. Second hand copies can be found but are expensive. I like it because Phil has direct experience of working with many of these birds over the last 30 + years as Thailand's leading field biologist. There is a widely available and up to date version of this in Thai language under Boonsong's sole authorship.....he is now dead but undoubtedly is the most important Thai figure in birds and conservation. The English language edition has some good stuff about where to go and field craft. There are also good quality guidebooks in English written by Craig Robson which are available in most of the good bookshops in Chiang Mai.

There are a couple of good websites: norththailandbirding and add the dotcom thing is full of up to date observation details and information about locations. As its name might suggest it is good on the north so might give you some ideas about good areas to visit in your locale. there are also a couple of facebook groups with obvious names.

Hope this helps and good birding1

Agreed. Lekagul and Round is the easiest to use. Round has now seen over 900 species in Thailand, which is some achievement!

Craig Robson's books on Thailand, and another on South-east Asia, are packed with information, but more difficult to use if you're a beginner.

Archived