Use Us Embassy In Thailand Or Usa

I am preparing to make a marriage visa for my Thai GF, I am in the US and she is presently in Thailand. Someone told me it would be easier for me to apply for the marriage visa in the US and then they would arrange for her meeting at the US Thai embassy. Can this be done and is it in fact quicker?

Also, would it be quicker/better to apply for a fiance visa first, then have her come and stay here and we apply for a marriage visa when she is here and thus she would not have to return to Thailand and it would be quicker to get the visa?

Thanks in advance!

You cannot apply for a "marriage" visa if you are not married. Your best bet is to apply for the K-1 visa (which is also known as the "fiance" visa).

With the K-1, your fiance would be admitted into the US, and at that time, you would have 90 days to formally tie the knot (at a courthouse, church, etc).

To see what you need to apply for the K-1, search the TV site. Here's a keyword: I-129F.

Good luck.

You cannot apply for a "marriage" visa if you are not married. Your best bet is to apply for the K-1 visa (which is also known as the "fiance" visa).

With the K-1, your fiance would be admitted into the US, and at that time, you would have 90 days to formally tie the knot (at a courthouse, church, etc).

To see what you need to apply for the K-1, search the TV site. Here's a keyword: I-129F.

Good luck.

Thanks, yes I forgot to mention, if we applied for a marriage visa I would have made a trip to Thailand to marry first. But the real question I have is in either case, does it matter which embassy I apply at, the US embassy in the US, or the US embassy in Thailand? I have heard it could be quicker if done in the US?

Thanks!

Thanks, yes I forgot to mention, if we applied for a marriage visa I would have made a trip to Thailand to marry first. But the real question I have is in either case, does it matter which embassy I apply at, the US embassy in the US, or the US embassy in Thailand? I have heard it could be quicker if done in the US?

Thanks!

Uh, there is no US Embassy in the US. :o This and other questions show you need to do some serious homework before you make any decsion. May I suggest you do a Google search on "visa journey", will be very helpful. Oh, and by way, try reading some previous posts before you ask a question...

You will not be able to apply for spousal visa in Thailand as you are not a resident.

TH

Edited by thaihome

If you do not live in Thailand all applications must start in the USA. If you were living here and got married there is an option to use the local office to process and that can speed up things - but without having lived here for an extended period do not believe that option is open to you.

I am preparing to make a marriage visa for my Thai GF, I am in the US and she is presently in Thailand. Someone told me it would be easier for me to apply for the marriage visa in the US and then they would arrange for her meeting at the US Thai embassy. Can this be done and is it in fact quicker?

Also, would it be quicker/better to apply for a fiance visa first, then have her come and stay here and we apply for a marriage visa when she is here and thus she would not have to return to Thailand and it would be quicker to get the visa?

Thanks in advance!

You will get the "civil service shuffle" in both places LOL. :o:D:D